• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I guess I understand the time spent on Nintendoland because they want it to be the flagship title (although it seems to be a game that could only be truly appreciated/understood when playing it directly).

It was still a bad idea, people want to see epic and fun games at E3. Not a compilation of minigames. If they really wanted another franchise where they include a bunch of their IPs together like Smash Bros, they should have went the adventure, action or RPG way instead. That would have generate a ridiculous amount of hype. Can't believe i can think of this, but not freaking Nintendo.

Hiltz

I hope there's Shaun of the Dead references in spades (well cricket bats) :D

I never thought about that. It would be a crime for Ubisoft to pass up a reference to the movie beyond the cricket bat inclusion.

ZombiU seems pretty good to me, I just wish I wasn't such a wimp when it comes to scary movies and games. They're not my cup of tea, but this one does seem like it could be fun and engaging.

Don't feel too bad. A lot of people must feel the same way. I can't play Resident Evil games by myself. My brother and I used to take turns playing RE Remake and RE 4 while the other person used the strategy guide to say where to go next. Even Silent Hill: Shattered Memories freaked me out a bit even though the player knows when it's completely safe and when monsters start coming out.

Oersted

I guess I understand the time spent on Nintendoland because they want it to be the flagship title (although it seems to be a game that could only be truly appreciated/understood when playing it directly).

yup. and i think thats why they spend so long time on it.

the better version would have been:

here is nintendoland. you will never get how awesome it is until you play it. thats why.... *points to the right side. dozen of models with the wiiu controller in one hand , nintendoland in the other appear* we made should sure you can play it.

jmizzal

Nintendo's not stupid, they know a CG trailer, or hell, even the title of the next Zelda game will garner shitloads of hype and I'd wager a few Wii U sales.

I doubt they do that for Zelda this early, but I am pretty sure we will some that for Smash Bros. U before WiiU launches

Coolwhip

Banned
So are we hyping 13th of september yet? I think we should expect a lot of cool stuff. You can't keep on letting the gaming press down. Since that's the target audience with stuff like that. The general public will get bombarded with a marketing blitz after. Better not let us down 3 times in a row!!! (2 e3s and this one)

I remember being deflated near the end of the E3 Conference. Then, suddenly, like a ray of hope, I heard Reggie say, "Let's finish with one more..." As soon as I heard that, my ears perked up. But then, "...walk through the theme park that is Nintendo Land." I was actually rather crushed. I waited so long, I suppose.

It's hard to be mad at that opening, though. It's so charming and makes me smile. I can never be too sure what Nintendo will show, now. That's why I elect not to expect any new game announcements. Perhaps a confirmation of games like Call of Duty, but nothing on the scale of a new first party game.

If it happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised. In the meantime, though, I'm hoping for more information on the features of Wii U and the OS/Miiverse.

Earendil

The ME3 DLC they will include is the DLC that is free for the other versions though, Extended Cut and all multiplayer DLCs. And it will not include the 2 single player DLCs that each cost 10$.

The only reasons they will have to sell it at 60$ is :

1) "We're assholes and we're ok with that!"
2) "The extra touchscreen map and powers available directly on the Gamepad screen is worth the full price!" Although that goes back to #1.

Ahh, I thought the paid DLC was included. Thanks for clarifying.

I never thought about that. It would be a crime for Ubisoft to pass up a reference to the movie beyond the cricket bat inclusion.

A pub called the Winchester you can explore, pool cue weapons, line references... there's just too much to pass up on man!

I doubt they do that for Zelda this early, but I am pretty sure we will some that for Smash Bros. U before WiiU launches

They better. I must have rewatched the Brawl teaser practically a hundred times over. Just to remind us of how hype-inducing it was.

jmizzal

Ahh, I thought the paid DLC was included. Thanks for clarifying.

They havent announced rather the new paid DLC is included in ME3 WiiU yet, in an interview when asked the lady said it will have other new content but they cant talk about that yet.

So it could be in there, that interview was only talking about the new ending and the new WiiU pad use, so its not clarified just yet.

I understand them not talking about it, they want people to buy to DLC right now, while the WiiU game is not coming for a few months.

that link is from today, it is a UK site, so the date is is listed differently.

I see now, but its still the same exact thing they said back at E3, they are working PC version first, its in open Beta so they are still fixing things, I thought it was completely out but I see its still beta mode.

So in reality nothing has changed since E3

Hiltz

I remember being deflated near the end of the E3 Conference. Then, suddenly, like a ray of hope, I heard Reggie say, "Let's finish with one more..." As soon as I heard that, my ears perked up. But then, "...walk through the theme park that is Nintendo Land." I was actually rather crushed. I waited so long, I suppose.

It's hard to be mad at that opening, though. It's so charming and makes me smile. I can never be too sure what Nintendo will show, now. That's why I elect not to expect any new game announcements. Perhaps a confirmation of games like Call of Duty, but nothing on the scale of a new first party game.

If it happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised. In the meantime, though, I'm hoping for more information on the features of Wii U and the OS/Miiverse.

It's always hard for us to not want to be excited for E3 news, but we'll have to try hard to remember how disappointing the shows have been in the past and keep our expectations lower. Microsoft focused on the same exact franchises as last year, Sony failed to hype the PS Vita, and Nintendo delivered another underwhelming unveiling that still left us with plenty of unanswered questions. Naturally, we're going to be like "E3 2013 is going to be the greatest!" It's really amazing how console manufacturers and third-parties can so easily be lacking in common sense when they should know what gamers are expected to be impressed by.

majik13

Netflix seems possible, HBO Go seems unlikely. Playing old Wii games on the pad also seems a bit far-fetched, given how many of them require the nunchuck controller, not to mention I doubt you'll be able to use the uPad with Wii games in general.

why not? the gamepad would essentially be a small tv for wii games. It has a sensor bar built in, and all the interfacing , nunchuck and wiimote would go through the wii u. i would be really surprised if you cant play wii games directly off the gamepad. Actually using the gamepad buttons to play will be a different story though. maybe for games that support the CC though.

Eh I think Nintendo's main problem at E3 was pacing and scheduling. They blew their "load" with Pikmin 3, the game Nintendo fans had been waiting eight years for. If they had finished with that, I think the main opinion would have been "Conference was sort of ok, but wow that Pikmin reveal at the end! Classic!"

Yes.

But until they announce it I'll treat it as unlikely. It doesn't matter to me, we Europeans (or at least Germans) won't get it anyway.

HBO Go, Hulu Plus, and Netflix were all confirmed at E3, seriously did no one watch the conference everyone hates on?

Ifeellikeimtakingcrazypills.gif

Oersted

from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490174

DjOiq.jpg
that little metroid looks so weird

Eh I think Nintendo's main problem at E3 was pacing and scheduling. They blew their "load" with Pikmin 3, the game Nintendo fans had been waiting eight years for. If they had finished with that, I think the main opinion would have been "Conference was sort of ok, but wow that Pikmin reveal at the end! Classic!"

I don't think so. It was already confirmed to be there and we knew it was in development since 4 years. They pretty much completely lacked any kind of surprise.
But still, they surely could have done slightly better even with the little they had. P-100 showing, some ports that are yet to come everywhere instead of Batman, less Nintendoland...

DrWong

Nintendo is really fun: we're at 1 or 2 month from the launch and still in the dark for so many things. The truth is whatever people claim nobody knows how it will end. Next week could be a complete failure with nothing new and only more Nintendo Land (which seems to be a great game from what I tested, so much laughs when playing the Luigi's mansion mini game), or a complete blow out with new western & japanese announcements.

I think if I can enjoy this suspense it's because I'm already sold on the system.

That said I hope Nintendo will deliver some cool hype material next week.

It's always hard for us to not want to be excited for E3 news, but we'll have to try hard to remember how disappointing the shows have been in the past and keep our expectations lower. Microsoft focused on the same exact franchises as last year, Sony failed to hype the PS Vita, and Nintendo delivered another underwhelming unveiling that still left us with plenty of unanswered questions. Naturally, we're going to be like "E3 2013 is going to be the greatest!" It's really amazing how console manufacturers and third-parties can so easily be lacking in common sense when they should know what gamers are expected to be impressed by.

I'm already interested in next E3 because of Microsoft and Sony. I want to see their next systems, but I'm not a big enough fan of really care if they deliver or not. Until I actually start seeing things, though, I don't think I'll ever be quite as excited as I was for this year's E3.

On another note, I actually liked how Super Smash Bros. Brawl was reserved until after the conference. The audience reaction would have been huge, but I think that slow trickle of information is effective as well.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
And as much as I liked both at launch, one was a glorified (but extremely fun) techdemo and the other a Gamecube port.

I think it is inherently wrong and unfair to productive discourse when equating Wii Sports to a "glorified tech demo". Wii Sports is indifferent to the purest of games. Are fun IOS games tech demos? Tetris a tech demo? The simplicity of the UI has been linked to user friendliness and is a trait the biggest money making games of this generation commonly have. The presentation is dull, and the interface is as plain jane as can be, but it is actually amongst the purest gaming entities in the software market.

Additionally, the game was developed in the same traditional manner all EAD Technology --> EAD Software Development games are done.

I think NSMBU, Pikmin 3, P-100, and ZombiU are excellent titles for launch window. And I know there will be an HD Zelda, HD Metroid, HD 3D Mario, HD Smash Bros, HD Mario kart, an HD Donkey Kong, and an HDJRPG coming from Monolith. That's 11 games I am for sure buying in the consoles life cycle and those 11 are worth the purchase alone.

Again people, don't be too delusional with the "retro and monolith will blowz us away". There is no guarantee whatsoever that the first monolith game won't be some weird anime or japan only niche title. Memes aside, Nintendo can always announce some mindblowing game from an unconventional or even new developer. History does not always repeat it self. If so, Factor 5 and RARE would be the delusional dreams instead of Retro and Monolith.

I can imagine at the end of the conference, Reggie is going "...and now let us show you something..." and then he goes "...just one more tour of Nintendoland!"

The meltdowns would be epic.

Or, Reggie: "And before we go, Nintendo and Rockstar have partnered to bring you the following, enjoy:"

TooncesreggieTVs.gif

Anth0ny

That's like... 2 games. And one was available on Gamecube and the other was a casual game.

Wii U launch looks more interesting.

And as much as I liked both at launch, one was a glorified (but extremely fun) techdemo and the other a Gamecube port. Looking at the launch from a different perspective there wasn't much. Bad ports such as Spongebob, Far Cry and Splinter Cell DA, a horrible Tony Hawk game, Red Steel, Elebits and uh, well yeah.

The Wii U launch seems better at this point.

wii launch had zelda, wii sports, excitebots, raving rabbids, metal slug anthology, and super monkey ball

wii u launch has nsmbu, pikmin 3, rayman origins, zombi u, scribblenauts unlimited, and tank! tank! tank!

i think the choice is clear.

I think I just value Zelda way more than you guys heh

Yeah, it was a Gamecube game, but it's not like the GC release was simultaneous. Wii launch day was the first time you could get your hands on Twilight Princess. That sold me on the console. Pikmin 3 is a Wii game, but it's the biggest selling point for me right now, even if they did release a gimped Pikmin 3 for the Wii.

I'm not all that interested in Ubisofts launch offerings either. Maybe I'll try them during the inevitable 2013 dry spell.

kitsuneyo

RETRO's game and another large first party title will be shown at the September 13th conference, possibly an EAD Mario game in it's early form.

I believe!

This is pretty much what I expect from NYC. I'm not pinning my hopes on seeing the Retro game, but I expect two big new titles. Mine too is just a guess.

Is Will Overton the guy who used to do Super Play's covers? His drawing ability was always suspect. He was probably the only person in London in the 90s doing manga style illustrations, otherwise he would never have got the gig.

I think it is inherently wrong and unfair to productive discourse when equating Wii Sports to a "glorified tech demo". Wii Sports is indifferent to the purest of games. Are fun IOS games tech demos? Tetris a tech demo? The simplicity of the UI has been linked to user friendliness and is a trait the biggest money making games of this generation commonly have. The presentation is dull, and the interface is as plain jane as can be, but it is actually amongst the purest gaming entities in the software market.

Additionally, the game was developed in the same traditional manner all EAD Technology --> EAD Software Development games are done.

Well said. I've been saying for ages that people shouldn't take anything away from Wii Sports because it didn't have the flashiest presentation. It truly is a game that's all about the game play. You can tell when they were designing it that the first thing they wanted to accomplish was a game that had fantastic game play. There is little in the game that isn't necessary for that, and what is (Mii's) only enhance the enjoyment people get out of the game. These extras do nothing to encumber an otherwise, what I would call "old school" take on the video game. In other words, a return to the time where there was little choice in game design except to focus purely on game play and nothing else.

stupidvillager

Neo Member
Again people, don't be too delusional with the "retro and monolith will blowz us away". There is no guarantee whatsoever that the first monolith game won't be some weird anime or japan only niche title. Memes aside, Nintendo can always announce some mindblowing game from an unconventional or even new developer. History does not always repeat it self. If so, Factor 5 and RARE would be the delusional dreams instead of Retro and Monolith.

Why is it so wrong to believe that Monolith will blow us away, or come close. The have gone on record in saying that they want their first HD game to be very impressive, to show that Japanese developers are just as good or better than western devs when it comes to graphics.

Ubisoft revealed some more game details about ZombiU, mostly about the story. Source is Nintendo Magazine UK.

"London gets firebombed"

I hope they didn't just randomly give away the ending here.

Or, Reggie: "And before we go, Nintendo and Rockstar have partnered to bring you the following, enjoy:"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/dylanh/TooncesreggieTVs.gif

A Rockstar-developed Toonces game? Okay, you have my attention.

kitsuneyo

Why is it so wrong to believe that Monolith will blow us away, or come close. The have gone on record in saying that they want their first HD game to be very impressive, to show that Japanese developers are just as good or better than western devs when it comes to graphics.

I think the point is that they may blow us away with a great game, but probably not with amazing graphics. Still I expect their new game to look very nice too.

If not for Luigi's Mansion 2, I'd really love a new Punch-Out from Next Level.

It'd be hard to make that game look better, but it'd look so damn good when they do it.

Anth0ny

Inaba also added that as this is Monolith's first HD title, he hopes to make something that surprises everyone. He wants to make something that shows Japanese technology does not lose out to America. His target is to be at the level of Fallout maker Bethesda Softworks, although he joked that maybe he's going too far.

Sounds pretty epic to me.

D-e-f-

Banned
they did, this is old news

Yea, I keep scratching my head why the big news sites report this as if that's new information. This is months old. Only the wording is different.

Since when was P-100 a launch game? I'm sure it's always been tba 2013. Hence why it's a working title. It'll probably end up being called "Heroes Unite" or something.

It was always mentioned as "launch window" never as just "launch"

But it's like almost never advertised.

The AC3 ads feature the date. The Wii U version has no date because the Wii U has no date. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom