• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN"s exclusive trailer is Dead Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jett said:
It's exactly what I thought it was gonna be.

A game nobody cared about before and still nobody will care about. Fucking IGN. Can't wait for this goddamn zombie fad to go away.

damn, you've been asking for this. You forgot to add that the trailer was shit and boring.

jett
Mr. Negativity

Shalashaska said:
Great trailer, too bad CGI trailers don't really mean much.

Granted, but it does do a good job at setting an overall tone of the game. By the looks of things it's not trying to take the goofy route.

shagg_187 said:
Fuck IGN for trolling when clearly Dead Island was guessed upon.
Someone even said it on the first page in that thread.

Anyway... It's an interesting concept, and back when it was announced it sounded really awesome. Co-op zombie game that takes place on an island. Now we've had two L4D games and one co-op Dead Rising game since that announcement, so I guess a co-op zombie game doesn't sound as fresh as it did back then.

The trailer is awesome though. Some of you really misinterpreted what that dude from IGN said in the first place. He did say that it was the "CG game trailer of the year", and I can't say I would disagree with that. It doesn't say shit about the game other than that there are zombies, but it's a CG trailer so it's hardly surprising. CG trailers rarely shows anything that has anything to do with the game other than the basic premise at most.

This trailer means nothing to me.

BTW Coldplay called, they want their music video back

you know what I mean, they style of the video not the zombies...

Saty

Surprisingly, IGN came through. Good trailer indeed and of a game fitting of the description they gave.

Killing Floor
Dead Nation
I made a game with zombies
RDR: UN
Plants vs Zombies
CoD:WaW, BO
Ok fair enough, but half those games don't really seem to be actually built around the idea of zombies, just a cool little skin basically. We haven't gotten a lot of Zombie games that are about actually living out a Dawn of the Dead type situation.
It's not simply just the zombie games, but movies, books, people talking about "HOW COOL WOULD IT BE IF ZOMBIES WERE LIKE REAAL?" and just the inundation of zombie everything within the past few years.
I really don't know if that's recent. Seems like zombie fiction and stuff have been around for quite a while.

But no. While there obviously have been some zombie games(not to point of excess if you ask me). I don't think the perfect zombie game has been made. Left 4 Dead is arcadey and Dead Rising is just kind of something...

I mean I'm thinking of an Open world zombie game where you basically have 1 objective. Escape. Now you can do this a couple of ways, maybe find transportation or make it to the military evacuation that's on the whole other side of the city. It's an open world, so you should have tons of ways to achieve this. Along the way you will meet survivors and, I don't think this has been done in any zombie game yet, with some sort of trust system you will have to manage them. Like if they trust you because you saved them they will tell you they have been infected. But of they don't because lets say you didn't give them a gun they wont and that could backfire. The Thing tried to do this, but it was scripted. Some survivors would have specializations and such. Like some can carry more supplies and others are better at fighting. Some maybe just serve to keep the group calm. You will have to raid places for supplies as hopefully this game will be more survival horror then action. Gotta raid the gun store. Lots of zombies around, how will you attack it? Could be risky, you may lose people.

See that's the kind of zombie game I want. Ambitious? Most likely. But I would like someone to actually try it. This game is trying the open world part and that's very interesting to me. Will keep an eye on it.

Fascinating trailer. I imagine someone ran it backwards as a joke, but then everyone in the room realized it would actually play out a billion times better that way along with some editing inspired by Memento.

wwm0nkey

disappeared said:
Granted, but it does do a good job at setting an overall tone of the game. By the looks of things it's not trying to take the goofy route.
Thats been another problem with this generation of zombie games, yeah one funny one is nice but there has been a serious lack of real horror survival zombie games.

El Sloth

Banned
Totally wasn't expecting that trailer.

Game itself looks pretty cool too. I don't have the zombie fatigue that most here seem to.

Another zombie game. Yeah. Are game developers so devoid of imagination this generation that we have to keep returning to this theme? Nothing in the description of the game strikes me as remotely unique or even praise worthy. The trailer was just o.k. and given that it is a a CG trailer I'll probably be safe forgetting about this for another 3 years.

Seriously, IGN is such a crap sight and this is made even more apparent by the fact that someone as devoid of credibility as Hilary "Oscar caliber" Goldstein not only remains employed but continues to get promoted.

V_Ben

Banned
That was a really well done trailer. Now I hope the game is actually good, it sounded fun all the way back when.

wwm0nkey said:
Thats been another problem with this generation of zombie games, yeah one funny one is nice but there has been a serious lack of real horror survival zombie games.

I'm still waiting for somebody to make a game based on Romero's '68 version of Night of the Living Dead. It'd be entirely character and plot-based. One house. Defend it or die.

wwm0nkey

disappeared said:
I'm still waiting for somebody to make a game based on Romero's '69 version of Night of the Living Dead. It'd be entirely character and plot-based. One house. Defend it or die.
I could see that becoming a XBLA game.

Alucrid

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Ok fair enough, but half those games don't really seem to be actually built around the idea of zombies, just a cool little skin basically. We haven't gotten a lot of Zombie games that are about actually living out a Dawn of the Dead type situation.
I really don't know if that's recent. Seems like zombie fiction and stuff have been around for quite awhile.

But no. While there obviously have been some zombie games(not to point of excess if you ask me). I don't think the perfect zombie game has been made. Left 4 Dead is arcadey and Dead Rising is just kind of something...

I mean I'm thinking of an Open world zombie game where you basically have 1 objective. Escape. Now you can do this a couple of ways, maybe find transportation or make it to the military evacuation that's on the whole other side of the city. It's an open world, so you should have tons of ways to achieve this. Along the way you will meet survivors and, I don't think this has been done in any zombie game yet, with some sort of trust system you will have to manage them. Like if they trust you because you saved them they will tell you they have been infected. But of they don't because lets say you didn't give them a gun they wont and that could backfire. The Thing tried to do this, but it was scripted. Some survivors would have specializations and such. Like some can carry more supplies and others are better at fighting. Some maybe just serve to keep the group calm. You will have to raid places for supplies as hopefully this game will be more survival horror then action. Gotta raid the gun store. Lots of zombies around, how will you attack it? Could be risky, you may lose people.

See that's the kind of zombie game I want. Ambitious? Most likely. But I would like someone to actually try it. This game is trying the open world part and that's very interesting to me. Will keep an eye on it.

Yes, I know night of the living dead came out in 1968 and the undead far, far precede that. But you have to admit there was a resurgence of zombie hype in the past few years with people always talking about fictional zombie outbreaks and reading WWZ and the zombie survival guide or whatever. I get what you're saying about your dream game. That sounds fun, and similar to the somewhat similar but much simplified PC zombie game that was talked about on GAF a bit ago. Ok, I'll lay off Dead Island and be mad at the people who deserve it. IGN.

jluedtke

They should make a game based on the story "The Most Dangerous Game". Plop the player on an island where some rich fuckers are hunting him down. Make him get past traps, find shit to use as weapons, etc. Final level: in the mansion taking down the head honcho.

Million seller.

Raide

V_Ben said:
That was a really well done trailer. Now I hope the game is actually good, it sounded fun all the way back when.

As long as they keep the pace tense and scary, it should be fine. Also, they need to add the option that players can be bitten and slowly turn.

wwm0nkey: "Did you just get bitten?"
Raide: "No...ermm....Braaaiiinnnss?"
*Raide is clubbed to death*

El Sloth said:
Totally wasn't expecting that trailer.

Game itself looks pretty cool too. I don't have the zombie fatigue that most here seem to.
We still haven't gotten a proper zombie game as far as I'm concerned. Sure, Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead are fun games, but I want a real survival zombie game. This game sounds like it will at least be in the right direction.

jluedtke said:
They should make a game based on the story "The Most Dangerous Game". Plop the player on an island where some rich fuckers are hunting him down. Make him get past traps, find shit to use as weapons, etc. Final level: in the mansion taking down the head honcho.

Million seller.

That's kind of like Battle Royale. Something like that would be deadly with 16-32 players. Random spawns, one life, random weapons distributed, safe zones...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Trailer was good.

Gave me no idea of whether I should be excited about the game or not, though. I mean will it focus on these lower-level, intense, heart-wrenching moments, or is it just going to be a 'generic' zombie-on-a-holiday-island gore-em-up?

raphier

Banned
thefil said:
Sad trailer. I really don't care for zombies, but even I think it was an excellent short.

No interest in the game, though.
This is sad afair we're in. Everyone is sick of zombies, yet not sick at all of killing russians for x20000000000 time. :(

Alucrid

Banned
raphier said:
This is sad afair we're in. Everyone is sick of zombies, yet not sick at all of killing russians for x20000000000 time. :(

To be fair I'm pretty sick of first person shooters all around.

Raide

disappeared said:
That's kind of like Battle Royale. Something like that would be deadly with 16-32 players. Random spawns, one life, random weapons distributed, safe zones...

Nah, you have to do it like the first film. All in the same room, get sent out 1 by 1. Murderize!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Rahxephon91 said:
I really don't know if that's recent. Seems like zombie fiction and stuff have been around for quite a while.

This. A game like this has actually never been done before (assuming they focus the core experience on survival and not on action co-op like L4D). The closest game to this is another unreleased game "Dead State" although that one is played from a different perspective and is turn based.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Another zombie game. We definitely don't have too many of those.

seat

The trailer feels hollow and disingenuous to me. The way it's presented, we're supposed to feel sympathy for the little girl that's killed, even though any attachment we are supposed to have for her doesn't present itself until the very end, which is through the home movies. The over-the-top violence and silly title screen logo reek of Dead Rising ridiculousness. Simply put, the visuals just don't mesh well with the somber music.

The only reason I'm over-thinking this is because God damned Hilary hyped this up so much.

Dennis

Banned
Fucking hell this loks good. Hype de hype hype.

dead-island-2011021506m7ek.jpg

dead-island-2011021506q7v4.jpg

dead-island-2011021506e7q1.jpg

dead-island-2011021506f7m2.jpg

dead-island-2011021506c7vw.jpg

dead-island-2011021506m7xo.jpg

wwm0nkey

GitarooMan said:
What is this Class 3 a few people keep mentioning?
Class 3 and Class 4 are open world Long Term Survival zombie games made by Undead Labs for the Xbox 360, the latter is going to be a MMO where as class 3 will essentially be a XBLA testing ground for the gameplay and how people like it.

Goal is. Find a place, build shelter, make sure you have food and water and kill zombies and try your best not to attract them to you (a bullet WILL alarm an entire swarm near you). With Class 3 you can do this by yourself or with a friend. With class 4 you can do this with up to 1000 people :D

derFeef

Damn at screens. I remember the "skin layer" demo video - seems it´s still in effect but a bit towned down. I want that now. Also - Condemned pipe!

Corto

The trailer is really well done. The reverse chronology caught me by surprise and the last family frame resonate with me. The game though from the description will not be for me.

Goldmund

disappeared said:
Yes because everyone knows Coldplay pioneered the reverse-film technique.
They pioneered the repairing of smashed glass and restoring of relationships in reverse technique, give him that.

sn00zer

Would be nice to have a SP zombie game where each zombie is a real threat instead of mow em' all down like L4D, Dead Rising, CoD: Zombies....and pretty much any zombie game on the market
Sounds pretty exciting if they can do it right

Rahxephon91 said:

This post nails it. I definitely don't need anymore arcadey zombie slaying games but theres so much potential for a proper zombie apocalypse game that no-one has even come close to realising yet. Until someone makes a game like you describe I won't be satisfied. So yeah, this looks interesting to me. Dead State also looks like a step in the right direction.

rac

Banned
I'm sorry but this trailer doesn't make any sense to me. At the end of the trailer it shows that this is a family but the couple is hiding in a room while their daughter is being chased by zombies and then when the dad finally comes out to save his daughter there is basically no emotion on his face at all. I know I'm just nitpicking here but it really irked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom