• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One launch title download sizes

Alx

I've read on the Gamersyde forum that there will be an additional 700M patch, that is not available yet. So that's a total of 1.2G (seemingly with the possibility to play after the first 500M one, judging by that banned guy)

sangreal

I can fill in some of these:

BF4: 33GB
Zoo Tycoon: 2.6GB
Fighter Within: 9.2GB
Xbox Fitness: 246MB
Powerstar Golf: 3.9GB

Derrick01

Banned
Extra copy of data on disk to improve seektimes?

Maybe. I would be interested in seeing how much space it's actually taking up on the hard drive, assuming the XB1 still has the option of seeing what's on your HD in a detailed and organized way.

:lol

I don't know why I find that funny. I guess in the face of all these massive next gen games (and EA current gen ports) it's weird seeing this.

Lima

WAIT you gave to install and have to install the whole thing before playing?

This has to be the final shit storm CBoaT was talking about.

So? That is how it is with the 360 too. You get a new game, press install and watch a bar fill up.

Oh wait you are one of those people...

So? That is how it is with the 360 too. You get a new game, press install and watch a bar fill up.

Oh wait you are one of those people...

Hey man, Impeccable is impar...

HXgrvvM.gif

I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

What I meant to say is that Impeccable is imparti....

I'm sorry, I just can't....

Lima

Hey man, Impeccable is impar...

HXgrvvM.gif

I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

What I meant to say is that Impeccable is imparti....

In all seriousness I can't believe there are people out there that play 360 games without installing them. Fuck that drive noise.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yeah, I figured it was the initial download. Seems pretty excessive before it allows you to start playing. Would have made a lot more sense to have a similar method to the first two Arkham games on PS3 where you could start playing almost immediately and it would install in the background...

Well we know Killzone: SF takes a few mins before it throws you into gameplay. We don't know if it's cause a mandatory install before boot or if it's cause of story cutscenes, but we do know that you need to download at least 7.5GB's before you can play if you go digital. So either the BD drive does a ~8GB install in under 3 mins or you can boot it and the game installs in the background.

kztwitterm4skw.jpg

If it does turn out to be that both consoles require you to do mandatory installs before you can boot them, I think KZ:SF, a game built with only next gen in mind, is what we can reasonably expect when all cross gen games die.

A DH team member at their forum said KI is 2.4 GBs to start playing during download, and the full file is about 3.4 GBs.

I can fill in some of these:

BF4: 33GB
Fighter Within: 9.2GB
Xbox Fitness: 246MB
Powerstar Golf: 3.9GB
Thanks, added to OP.

Lettuce

So WHAT is the reason for these games being so much larger than the average 15GB we have witnessed this gen??. I know that these games will use much higher res assest but so has the PC been using the same sort and PC games have never been this large!!?

Pain

Banned
25 minutes is way too long for a mandatory install.
PS4 has background caching right? So it shouldn't have this problem?

Atlas157

Microsoft better allow Xbox fans to upgrade their HDDs cause it'll fill up quick.

Is there a reason why they don't allow it?

Not liking the install setup at all. I know this was part of the original DRM plan but why not use the same system Sony is using which is a lot more practical?

Im assuming we can download off the marketplace and install a game at the same time? So when I get my Xbox One, I can install Ryse/DR3 whatever whilst downloading Forza 5 to save some time? Tempted to go and get Killer Instinct as its so small and play that for a bit whilst the others download/install.

You truthfully think a mandatory install that takes 25 minutes is "okay" heading into a new generation with the technology to avoid it?

I mean ignoring the blantant personal attack, it is okay?

(For the record, I hate mandatory installs this generation and the PS3 is the worse offender here.)

You truthfully think a mandatory install that takes 25 minutes is "okay" heading into a new generation with the technology to avoid it?

(For the record, I hate mandatory installs this generation and the PS3 is the worse offender here.)

I usually play on PC so I guess, yes? PS4 has the same thing, although we don't know how much time it takes we do now that you need to install a certain amount to disk before you can play.

Mrbob

I'm having a hard time believing the 25 minute install, that would be terrible. Wii U bad ( anyone who has downloaded from the eshop knows this pain ).

I can understand a couple minutes but 25? That seems like poor design on MS part. They are a software company, you would think they will be the first to realize this is a bad idea. Hopefully this is part of the issues being cleaned up for launch.

Return to grab a sandwich if true.

So WHAT is the reason for these games being so much larger than the average 15GB we have witnessed this gen??. I know that these games will use much higher res assest but so has the PC been using the same sort and PC games have never been this large!!?

uncompressed audio maybe?

Mrbob

Check recent PC game file sizes and come back to us.

Anywhere from 15gb to 50GB is the norm for the "big games". My 256GB SSD weeps. I need a 1TB drive now.

Edit: I'll do the work based off the top 10 list on Steam.

CoD Ghosts - 40GB
Rome 2 - 35GB
AC4 - 30GB
Xcom - 20GB

I usually play on PC so I guess, yes? PS4 has the same thing, although we don't know how much time it takes we do now that you need to install a certain amount to disk before you can play.

Well all we know so far is Killzone is (from that tweet) about three minutes. Then you play while it finishes in the back ground.

What we know so far is that it took this fellow 25 minutes from disc insert to playing on Call of Duty: Ghosts.

I'm complaining because 25 minutes seems a fucking absurd considering I thought background installs was going to be a common theme this launch. All while (apparently) revealing some nefarious preference to Playstation 4 going into this next generation.

Multiple languages perhaps? The PS4 case was a Euro case so it might have a few more languages and fwiw even the XBO case says "up to 49GB's required".

The austrian version has additional english audio confirmed too, on XBone, first time in history.
On 360 it always was german only. Maybe some more gigs for that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Given everything else we know about COD:Ghosts I would probably avoid using it as an indicator of anything without knowing about any other games.

Well all we know so far is Killzone is (from that tweet) about three minutes. Then you play while it finishes in the back ground.

What we know so far is that it took this fellow 25 minutes from disc insert to playing on Call of Duty: Ghosts.

I'm complaining because 25 minutes seems a fucking absurd considering I thought background installs was going to be a common theme this launch. All while (apparently) revealing some nefarious preference to Playstation 4 going into this next generation.
25 minutes for the whole thing seems about right (based on 360 install sizes/times) - would be nice if you could start playing earlier but not sure if this is supported.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Higher fidelity audio and high bit rate 1080p cutscenes would be my guess. I expect most devs will be pumping out full hd cutscenes now that they don't have to worry about the 360's DVD size limitations. Just look at some of the games that bothered with high quality cutscenes this gen; FFXIII is ~40GB's on PS3 (~20GB's on the 360 with lower bitrate scenes), Uncharted 3 is 44GB's, God of War: Ascension 34GB's, MGS4 ~34GB's, Killzone 3 41GB's...

Obviously not, as evidenced by my posts on the matter. And you took that gentle ribbing as a blatant personal attack?

Dude, come on...

Multiple languages perhaps? The PS4 case was a Euro case so it might have a few more languages and fwiw even the XBO case says "up to 49GB's required".

j6nuFn1.jpg

the 360 versions had 2 different versions for the province of Quebec, an English copy and a French copy. So i guess that your guess is true about multiple language localisations included on 1 BluRay

I've read on the Gamersyde forum that there will be an additional 700M patch, that is not available yet. So that's a total of 1.2G (seemingly with the possibility to play after the first 500M one, judging by that banned guy)

Interesting. That seems to be more in line with what we were hearing about the patch and how long it might take to download...

Still pretty annoying there's no option to background download the patch. Was possible on the U and is apparently possible on the PS4...

I'm having a hard time believing the 25 minute install, that would be terrible. Wii U bad ( anyone who has downloaded from the eshop knows this pain ).

I can understand a couple minutes but 25? That seems like poor design on MS part. They are a software company, you would think they will be the first to realize this is a bad idea. Hopefully this is part of the issues being cleaned up for launch.

Return to grab a sandwich if true.

This is how I feel, 25 minutes is entirely too long.

Not acceptable.

neto

This is how I feel, 25 minutes is entirely too long.

Not acceptable.

Yeah same here, 25 min is too much, consoles are slowly becoming like pc, One thing I loved about console gaming was that you didn't had to install or configure settings, you just inserted the game and boom in less than a minute (or just a few seconds in cartridges) you were playing

Top Bottom