• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

DMONKUMA

Kinda. The week after I preordered I kept flip-flopping between keeping it or just waiting until later, but I just decided to keep it. I'm just excited to play a new 3D Zelda in a portable device.

Raw64life

No, because I pay attention to history and was already anticipating the lackluster hardware specs and online/infrastructure problems. I also anticipated fantastic looking games, which I got, and that's the most important thing to me.

Only thing in my mind is that I'm spending way to much in March. Before taxes T_T

As for the hardware itself, I didn't expect it to blew me away graphically. This will once again be a 1st party console for playing 1st party and exclusive games.

My only gripe is that I own a Wii U and have to mentally convince myself that BoTW is a Switch only game to justify my purchase lol

Decided not to preorder due to the lack of games coming out and available at launch that interest me. I do like the hardware though and will eventually get one or will cave in once they're easily available in store.

So while I'm glad I didn't preorder (smart choice for me), I do really want one as I'm a big fan of handhelds and the Switch looks like an awesome handheld.

My big concern now is the online program. I have 3 gamers in my house. If I eventually get 3 Switches, do I need to pay for 3 online accounts? I really hope not as that is not the case for Xbox One (and PS4 I think).

Crazyorloco

Nope. Nothing has deterred me. Forum posts and what others think don't have a major influence on what I purchase for my enjoyment.

The amount of quality games for the first 9 months makes this the best first year lineup of any system.

Only thing in my mind is that I'm spending way to much in March. Before taxes T_T

Lol! me too.

daxgame

nothing has changed for me. I'm interested in it, my wife is interested (we play a good 70% of the stuff together) and so I'm cool with it.
But the price was a no-no until I found a sub 300€ deal.

I'm starting to be a bit worried we might not see fast 3ds style price drop so waiting might be pointless - on the other hand it's not like I'm short on backlog to finish first.

Bizzquik

I was going to get it eventually anyway, and Nintendo does not cut prices on their consoles very often.
Since I have the money now, I see no reason not to get it at launch.
...Zelda looks fun.

I preordered it right away despite the presentation being lackluster and I really haven't even considered cancelling. Actually, it was the news of Zelda Special/Master edition which had me even more convinced I needed it at launch. I have a thing for paper maps.

And now I'm extremely hyped, counting the days until I get this console (and Zelda of course). I've been looking into a lot of Indie games that are coming -that I normally wouldn't have even considered- due to the portability of the Switch, and I'm starting to fear for my wallet. I'm not planning on buying any accessories right away, but I'll eventually get the all blue Joycon set that Best Buy is selling now.

I seriously can't wait to play 1, 2, Switch with my father in law. His reaction to the milking game is going to be priceless.

While I didn't preorder, I went from full to zero hype pretty quickly. After the buzz faded, I realized the only game I really want to play on it is Zelda, and I already have a Wii U for that. My gut tells me we'll be waiting until 2018 for Mario. Nothing else is all that exciting right now. Hopefully a year from now, my opinion will be completely different and I'll be excited to get one. I kinda did the same with the Wii U. I bought one when the WWHD version came out, and at that time, there were enough titles I was interested in to make the system purchase worth it.

Regarding Mario Odyssey, the producer (Koizumi) said the game is essentially finished, so it slipping to 2018 is incredibly unlikely.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I fell into a bit of the negativity after the presentation, but I've since had hype elevated back up to max levels. Can't fucking wait for Zelda. Snipperclips is going to be a blast and, hell, I'm even excited about playing 1 2 Switch with friends. Then we've got MK8 coming, then Arms, then Splatoon. Put this all in something that functions as a portable and I'm having a hard time holding the hype.

I was the only person in my friend group who had a Nintendo console last gen. I also happen to prefer to not have the group hanging at my house cause I'm selfish. We all love Mario Karts and Parties and whatnot and now I've got a pretty easy way to take that stuff to the places we usually hang out.

Symbiotx

I didn't get one initially, so I pre-ordered when one popped up. When I think about what games I'm getting though, I'm thinking about cancelling. I'm mainly looking forward to Mario Odyssey, the next Mario Kart, and Smash. I'm having a hard time justifying a day one purchase when all that is a ways out.

Davey Cakes

With each passing day I kind of wish I pre-ordered. Not sure why. I'm still not convinced that the content will justify the day 1 purchase and I know my brother is getting one so I'll be able to play around with that. I have a backlog to catch up on so buying a whole new system seems unnecessary.

But, the positive impressions of games and especially hardware make me want to have my own system right away. I'll just have to battle with this until the system becomes more readily available.

Had 2 preordered. Canceled one. Still have a pro controller & Zelda preordered just in case, but history has always been bad to me when jumping in on day one consoles so idk. I feel like I'm going to cancel unless they announce something this month to change my mind. Coming out between Horizon & Mass Effect doesn't help its case

Cruxist

Still hanging on to mine, but I'm going to the demo event on the 10th. I'm also filing my taxes this weekend. Those two things will really give me an impression of whether to keep it or not. I'm just about to move and even one more thing in a box gives me pause.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sorta?

I posted this in the Amazon thread already.

I got a preorder, but my head keeps going do you really need to spend $300 on this when you could just get Zelda on the Wii U?

I mean I want it, but the two bigs things I want to play not named Zelda aka Splat2 and SFII don't have release dates.

So I'm kinda torn? Maybe if Nintendo would give me a heads up on wtf is going on with the Virtual Console that might help.

I'm also kinda meh at the indie lineup mainly because it's all shit I've already played elsewhere.

I'm absolutely in love with the core system concept though. I just need more games.

Excited to preorder and it never wavered. Most of the criticisms I had at the beginning look to have been based on lack of communication, which Nintendo still needs to correct. My only worry about March 3rd is if I can actually afford it or not. I do not consider it over priced. $300 was my prediction as an aggressive price point for the compact tech and I always found the $250 rumor laughable. That's where you go for a sale point or a price drop a year or two later. that sure as hell isn't where you start.

El-Suave

I was in the same boat with PS VR and I am super happy I got the thing at launch in the end.
With Switch I'll wait a few months, it's tempting when preorders pop up here or there again but it just doesn't make sense for me buy it at launch.

Nerazar

I will keep my preorder up, but I might switch to Amazon.fr, because of the superior price. But I would have to get a credit card on time, first, hm.

The other thing which cemented my pre-order was virtually all of the impressions being very impressed with the actual hardware. All of the other problems can and will be fixed in time (games, details about online), but bad hardware is always bad. The screen especially looks incredible.

EDIT: Honestly this is the first Nintendo product I can remember that actually looked like a sexy, cutting edge piece of hardware. It may not have the processing capability of the PS4 but at the very least from a visual standpoint this looks like a mid-high range piece of tech.

The other thing which cemented my pre-order was virtually all of the impressions being very impressed with the actual hardware. All of the other problems can and will be fixed in time (games, details about online), but bad hardware is always bad. The screen especially looks incredible.
All of this.

Nope, still hype as fuck. Just happen to have March 3 off from work as well so we'll be playing all day, just like the Wii and Wii U launch days.

tebunker

Banned
Nintendo has until February 24th to convince me to keep my preorder. Right now there is still too little information about the rest of the system and other games coming. I'd like more info regarding digital purchases and VC etc. I will gladly cancel the preorder if this info fails to materialize or fails to satisfy myself. I can wait 6-8 months for them to get their shit together. I won't be hurting for games.

I didnt preorder due to what I felt was an underwhelming reveal, aside from a few financial issues, but now that I know I can buy it, and after so much Zelda hype, I can't find a preorder anywhere, hopefully they build their stock up for those of us wanting to purchase at launch.

Nick

I'm probably going to cancel my pre-order. Nintendo clearly doesn't get it anymore, and I don't like rewarding bad behavior. I did it with the Wii U, and I refuse to do it with the Switch.

m4st4

I'm starting to physically shake just from thinking it's February 1st tomorrow. It's like we entered slo-mo time.

I was initially feeling pretty down on the reveal, since the presentation was pretty poor and the price was higher than I expected.

But then it sunk in how the vast majority of the exclusive lineup is made up of games that appeal to NES, SNES, and N64 sensibilities.

- Breath of the Wild for fans of the NES original
- Fast RMX for fans of F-Zero
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with Battle Mode + Boo and Feather items to appeal to old players
- Super Bomberman R for Bomberman fans
- Project Octopath Traveler for fans of SNES JRPGs
- Arms as a kind of modern Punch-Out!!
- Ultra Street Fighter II, a literal remake of an SNES game
- Super Mario Odyssey for fans of sandbox 3D Mario

Plus other non-exclusives like Yooka-Laylee, Sonic Mania, Skyrim, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight, The Binding of Isaac, and Minecraft... that's a pretty nice lineup for someone who wants something different than what's on PS4 and Xbox. It's especially nice to see coming off of the NES Classic Edition and its nice library of much of the best of the NES era.

And it'll all be available for portable and TV play. That's a powerful value proposition.

Lucifon

Preordered and had no doubt I'd get one, I'm an idiot when it comes to new consoles, logic goes out the window. I'm pretty excited for it.

But they really should do a direct in February to go over virtual console, the UI and other tidbits. That would go a long way in increasing hype but I'm concerned virtual console won't be ready day 1 despite it being almost a no brainer for padding out that incredibly barebones launch lineup.

Gestault

I'm feeling about the same, which isn't terribly enthusiastic, but still glad I have it.

I was among those who went to Nintendo's most recent Switch event in Toronto...where they didn't do pre-registration so (among many) people who traveled from out-of-province ended up being blocked because Nintendo booked limited space at the convention center. I was hoping that would have pumped me up a little bit, but something about seeing so many people/families turned away because they didn't plan the event well was...something.

Not really. Disappointed in what Nintendo presented, and disappointed with the launch lineup and price. I tried to pre-order but couldn't and I'm happy I didn't get one.

I'll still grab the Switch, but I'll be waiting till Holiday 2017 or when they start selling bundles.

I went through the same process, though mucheck faster than the OP. I was super stoked and sold on the system until watching the reveal event. I woke up the next morning, pissed. I wasn't gonna get the system until Christmas, at the soonest. I made broad proclamations like, "I'm not buying this until it either drops in price of is bundled with a game I want!!!"

I then watched on-and-off a bit of the Treehouse event and promptly went out over my lunch break and preordered the system, and have been excited ever since.

I went from day one after the video reveal to day never after the presentation right up to Zelda's trailer at which point I thought I'd be getting it for sure at some point when the thing gets a price cut. But then I thought why wait for 9 months just to save 50 euros max. When i could be playing Zelda, Mario kart and other games from launch? So that's where I'm at now, at day fucking one!

So yeah, big Rollercoaster here but now I'm more hyped than ever.

Edit: the above comment is almost exactly the same as mine lol

Mato

I'm still felling unsure about the price/specs ratio and am heavily leaning towards cancelling my pre-/order.

Will probably cancel later on because I only have interest zelda but also have Nier, dark souls 3 dlc and persona 5 and a ps4 pro so might be smart to just delay the switch purchase to a period where I have no games to play.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Felt very downbeat after the proper reveal, but more recently I'm getting tempted. If you spread the cost over the likely lifetime of ownership it isn't too bad. I just don't play as much these days, and have been previously burnt buying all previous Nintendo consoles day one since GameCube

Im still hyped. Really excited to dive into Zelda.

Only thing i feel differently about at this time, im kinda wishing i got the neon instead of the grey. Neon has kinda grown on me.

All the positive impressions about the hardware and the actual games themselves completely overrode the initial GAF wave of negativity that I was sort of a part of.

I'm quite excited and expecting to have plenty of fun with the machine right from the beginning.

KevinG

Im still hyped. Really excited to dive into Zelda.

Only thing i feel differently about at this time, im kinda wishing i got the neon instead of the grey. Neon has kinda grown on me.

I think there are many of us in this boat, without the opportunity to really switch SKUs.

Zedark

I felt the same way. Somehow during the presentation I couldn't get motivatie by the great games that I should have been hyped for, probably due to feeling a bit burnt by all the motion and rumble stuff being so front and center in the first 20 minutes. I grudgingly placed a preorder in case I did want one, and as the days passed, my excitement for SM Odyssey, Zelda, FE Warriors and XBC2 grew as expected, and now I realise that I wanted the system specifically for those games that are coming in that first year already, and that the Switch offers a good value proposition in terms of games to me.

Top Bottom