• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is your avatar a bunch of crappy text? The thread to fix that lives again!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
My avatar is currently 150x150, but it's only 14kb. It automatically resizes.

Should I change it?

Edit: Done. Thanks Huelen.

MrPliskin

Banned
If my avatar is 90x90 (scaled) is it okay? The original size is something like 124x124. Should I just resize it, or is it fine like this?

Clipper

Foxy Fox 39 said:
Man I tried fixing it I can't. Could someone do it?

Easy. Just added some transparent pixels on the sides to make it 90 width:
Foxy-Fox-39.gif

Clipper

Roland said:
I guess not. :(
I can see your avatar ;).

For anyone that's interested, if you go to your CP and turn off the checkbox for "Show Avatars", you'll find that avatars don't actually switch off. However, it does turn off the modded avatars for some reason, so you see the one the user selected.

Proof:

Now, this only works for you, not for everyone else (unless they have also switched off avatars), so your banner of shame will still be shown to others, but it might help you feel a little better :D.

Kritz

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Images are blocked at work. I'm pretty sure I'm okay but can someone please check my avatar to confirm?

90px × 120px
35.64 KB (36492 bytes)

And although I'm positive all of my avatars are not only stylish AND proper, it probably wouldn't hurt for anyone to attempt to double check them. :D
Edit: I just realised, because my avatars are being linked via a .php script, all my avatars come up as being 0 bytes. Is this a problem?

Raist said:
edit: bonus question. Is the size limit 150KB, or 150,000B?
Anyone have an answer to this?
I'm smaller than 150KB, but larger than 150,000B.

OP says, 150k, so I think I should be safe. I just want to cover my ass.

DogWelder

_dementia said:
Anyone have an answer to this?
I'm smaller than one, but larger than the other.

OP says, 150k, so I should be safe. I just want to cover my ass.
No-one is gonna change your avatar for being 300 bytes over. But if you are that paranoid:
zqVvs.gif

Have some trouble trying to get this picture into the avatar limits. This is the one in question.

deathwing.png

Seems like GIMP makes it 90x150 whenever I try to set it to 90x120. Plus the image comes out a bit long if I set it as my avatar.

Clipper

HarryDemeanor said:
Have some trouble trying to get this picture into the avatar limits. This is the one in question.

deathwing.png

Seems like GIMP makes it 90x150 whenever I try to set it to 90x120. Plus the image comes out a bit long if I set it as my avatar.
I wasn't sure whether you wanted him shrunk (with transparency):
deathwing-shrunk.png

or scaled:
deathwing-scaled.png

For info on how it was done in Gimp in aid of others:

For the first, scale the image with locked aspect ratio (the chain link between width and height) to 120 height, then increase the canvas size without locking the aspect ratio to a width of 90 and center the image.

For the second, just scale the image to 90*120 without the aspect ratio lock.

Clipper said:
I wasn't sure whether you wanted him shrunk (with transparency):
deathwing-shrunk.png

or scaled:
deathwing-scaled.png

For info on how it was done in Gimp in aid of others:

For the first, scale the image with locked aspect ratio (the chain link between width and height) to 120 height, then increase the canvas size without locking the aspect ratio to a width of 90 and center the image.

For the second, just scale the image to 90*120 without the aspect ratio lock.

Ah thanks for the help. The shrunk one looks great. I just wanted the picture to be 90x120 as it came out 90x150 everytime I tried to fix it. The forum scaling didn't seem to fix it either.

R-User!

xero273 said:
your avatar is correct

Cool! Thanks for checking... ...I realized later after I had requested someone to check that I could've just checked
on one of the workstations at my job....<_< >_> lol. :D

Anyway, I'm glad that I had made a correctly sized avatar in the first place.

OMGLOL A LLAMA said:
testing :D

Edit: is it k? i believe its 90x90 but just making sure.
lack of right click on macs makes me sad :(

option+click is your (long lost) friend.

...or is that control+click? I forget.

OMGLOL A LLAMA

Neo Member
biggyfries said:
option+click is your (long lost) friend.

...or is that control+click? I forget.

Maybe for non-links, but control click merely opens a window in a new tab, and option click downloads the link. :) Thanks anyway though.

Kritz

Banned
Mael said:
Okay huh just so I know is www.imageuploads.net a good host for avatars and images on gaf?

Any website that doesn't have a bandwidth limit for images is a good site. Although having avatars that have gone over bandwidth isn't exactly against forum rules, it does look totally dumb when someone's avatar is a green frog or a photobucket notice.

I think a lot of people here use tinypic.com.

fps fanatic said:
I checked yours and it seemed a little big so I trimmed it up a bit.

2s67b0m.png

If you want to grab it and rehost. It's 90x120 now.
Oh shit I only just now saw what you did and I was trying to tackle this problem in my head for a week!
Thanks bruv!

Mael

Kritz said:
Any website that doesn't have a bandwidth limit for images is a good site. Although having avatars that have gone over bandwidth isn't exactly against forum rules, it does look totally dumb when someone's avatar is a green frog or a photobucket notice.

I think a lot of people here use tinypic.com.

Ok thanks I'll go tinypic then.

Alucrid

Banned
So...if we had our avatar changed a while ago and aren't in the "fresh" batch of juniors, can we get a second chance? :D

Red Scarlet

Alucrid said:
So...if we had our avatar changed a while ago and aren't in the "fresh" batch of juniors, can we get a second chance? :D

It's been asked and answered multiple times already. Maybe I should put it in the op and start banning the people that keep asking me to fix avatars other mods/admins changed.

Clipper

Santiako said:
Can someone please help me make a better quality avatar (within the limits) out of this please?

156cmrd.png

Cheers.

Wasn't sure whether you wanted just the chair or the whole booth, so I did both:
156cmrd-1.png
156cmrd-2.png

Top Bottom