• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Pack it up.
I'd rather that over "We'll see. More info later."

If he's being snarky and shutting those dreams down, then shit.. at least we can move past arguing ADS and sprint for Halo 6, no? Although I think I'd prefer Halo 6 without sprint, it could be alright to have one more game with Halo 5's mechanics before drastically changing things, or at the very least that's what people should be expecting. With Reach we knew immediately Armor Abilities weren't great for Halo's 4v4 design, but we still got Halo 4 anyway. Halo 5's gameplay is good enough where it deserves a chance to see if they can improve upon what people loved about it.

Also, let's not forget about the Custom Games Browser, something that needs to be there day one. If that's expanded upon, then maybe we'll be set either way.

I know what you're saying, but I honestly think it would be fine if they shrunk the "window" of time you can clamber something. It should just be tweaked to be super precise, imo. Maybe make it to where it has to be in front of you, and you have to be practically humping it. People can pretty much clamber sideways with how it works at the moment. I think shrinking the window, and maybe putting it on a cooldown similar to thruster would help. If its paired with no sprint and increase jump height, then crouch jumping would still be just as viable. You could string crouch jumping and clamber together for other skill jumps as well.

At least this...Jem's recommendation of allowing clamber from any direction around just makes the issues even worse. If you are gonna make an ability break map design, at least make it harder to accomplish.

But they won't do that, cuz it wouldn't be "intuitive."

Bring back superbounces. ;)

I think Halo needs to be more accessible going forward, it can still be competitive and balanced while being more accessible. Halo 5 turned away a lot of people, cutting a few abilities would help I think. It'd also appease "classic" fans to a certain extent. I really think this is what they should do, but I doubt it happens. This is coming from someone that doesn't mind sprint and likes the Halo 5 sandbox. I think they need to try and get some old players back though.

jem0208

The arguments over ADS are so bullshit.

Fair enough if you dislike the aesthetics of smart scope. However, if you're arguing for the removal of smart scope on gameplay grounds it's bullshit. It has negligible effect on gameplay.

Fair enough if you dislike the aesthetics of smart scope. However, if you're arguing for the removal of smart scope on gameplay grounds it's bullshit. It has negligible effect on gameplay.

The reduced spread on automatics makes them too effective at range. I don't like my screen being obstructed with a gun, rather than a scope with translucent borders. That's not stupid.

jem0208

The reduced spread on automatics makes them too effective at range. I don't like my screen being obstructed with a gun, rather than a scope with translucent borders. That's not stupid.
The reduced spread makes next to no difference if you actually engage a player because of descope.

Autos aren't overpowered because of a slight increase in range.

Pick up a gun without ADS and compare that clarity and to a gun obstructing a good portion of your screen. Also combine the problems of the bloomy light leaking into some backgrounds when in ADS.

It affects gameplay. Dismissing something as an aesthetic gripe and saying it doesn't affect gameplay is short-sided and unfair.

The reduced spread makes next to no difference if you actually engage then because of descope.

Playing on Eden, moving out of blue base onto blue catwalk and there's an opponent down below, They clamber up behind you and then zoom and shoot you in the back, you're melted before you can turn around. I guess I should have been omniscient of their presence so I could descope them though.

The loss in visual clarity with smart scope is enough reason to change that feature. I don't want to see the gun model covering screen real estate while zooming.

The loss in visual clarity with smart scope is enough reason to change that feature. I don't want to see the gun model covering screen real estate while zooming.

It was a dumb move to appease asshats who can't handle different mechanics as they move shooter to shooter. The thing is, they all move on within months. For them Halo is a flavor of the month, Halo players are left with something they don't like. That's just silly. At least give us a damn toggle on the guns so traditionally scoped weapons can have a classic look.

jem0208

Playing on Eden, moving out of blue base onto blue catwalk and there's an opponent down below, They clamber up behind you and then zoom and shoot you in the back, you're melted before you can turn around. I guess I should have been omniscient of their presence so I could descope them though.

Autos are OP, that's a given but it's not because of a slight increase in effective range.

Also, if you didn't notice that player you deserve to be killed.

Autos are OP, that's a given but it's not because of a slight increase in effective range.

Also, if you didn't notice that player you deserve to be killed.

Because I didn't notice a player come up behind me that was never on my 15m radar I deserve to be killed? Okay.

Honestly how bruised are your knees, jem?

jem0208

Because I didn't notice a player come up behind me that was never on my 15m radar I deserve to be killed? Okay.

Honestly how bruised are your knees, jem?
They would have melted you with the pistol had they not had an AR.

If a player is able to melt you with an AR without you responding they'd be able to melt you with just about anything.

Trup1aya

I think Halo needs to be more accessible going forward, it can still be competitive and balanced while being more accessible. Halo 5 turned away a lot of people, cutting a few abilities would help I think. It'd also appease "classic" fans to a certain extent. I really think this is what they should do, but I doubt it happens. This is coming from someone that doesn't mind sprint and likes the Halo 5 sandbox. I think they need to try and get some old players back though.

I think the lack of accessibility due to the inclusion of Spartan abilities one of H5s biggest problems. It simultaneously raised the skill floor, and shrunk the skill ceiling. The best thing about the old sandbox is that it was easy to learn, difficult to master. Now you have to overcome cumbersome controls, but once you do, the margin for error is massive when it comes to navigation.

Sprint, should be incorporated into joystick movement. The animation is the only element of value and can be included w/o removing the ability to shoot. Also the ability to move at top speed in all directions is CRITICAL, and should not be understanded. It's not enough to make movement LOOK and FEEL liberating. It should actually BE liberating.

Spartan Charge and Slide might end up casualties of sprint not being a secondary mode of travel and I wouldn't care. But I think it would be better to just make them actions enabled by thrusters... melee while thrusting = Spartan Charge. Crouch while thrusting = Slide. I think that would immediately make SC less cheesy.

Clamber has been bad for design. It along with sprint has made it so that most skill jumps require movement in a specific direction and require you remove yourself from action. Also the stabilize+clamber jumps are impossible if you are in a firefight. Removing clamber would be great for map design, but they at least need need to make it possible in any direction.

The reduced AUTO spread is negligible? ADS is aesthetically a step back. Functionally it was uninspired. It would be cool if instead of just giving every gun more range, precision weapons were scoped, other weapons had secondary firing modes, and other weapons just had binoculars like the old days.

jem0208

The reduced AUTO spread is negligible? ADS is aesthetically a step back. Functionally it was uninspired. It would be cool if instead of just giving every gun more range, precision weapons were scoped, other weapons had secondary firing modes, and other weapons just had binoculars like the old days.
Yes.

Subjective (i actually agree with you but the argument remains)

Fair enough, I'd like to see secondary fire modes too. That's not an argument against smart scope though. That's an argument to modify it.

Personally, I dislike the binoculars.

Pick up a gun without ADS and compare that clarity and to a gun obstructing a good portion of your screen. Also combine the problems of the bloomy light leaking into some backgrounds when in ADS.

It affects gameplay. Dismissing something as an aesthetic gripe and saying it doesn't affect gameplay is short-sided and unfair.
It has a minute effect on gameplay.

I actually prefer the aesthetics of of classic scope and I'd happily see it return, i just think the gameplay argument for smartscope's removal is frankly meritless and lies more with a fundamental dislike of "CoD style" influence than anything else.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'd rather that over "We'll see. More info later."

If he's being snarky and shutting those dreams down, then shit.. at least we can move past arguing ADS and sprint for Halo 6, no? Although I think I'd prefer Halo 6 without sprint, it could be alright to have one more game with Halo 5's mechanics before drastically changing things, or at the very least that's what people should be expecting. With Reach we knew immediately Armor Abilities weren't great for Halo's 4v4 design, but we still got Halo 4 anyway. Halo 5's gameplay is good enough where it deserves a chance to see if they can improve upon what people loved about it.

Also, let's not forget about the Custom Games Browser, something that needs to be there day one. If that's expanded upon, then maybe we'll be set either way.

God, the moment that magazine story broke...

I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here.

Halo didn't become popular because it pandered to gaming trends and wide demographics. It was successful because it was unique and remained unique. It's gameplay has yet to be recreated by other games.

COD didn't become popular because it pandered to gaming trends, it created its own unique experience and had largely remained the same. Now they are going back to their roots with WW2.

Now why on earth does 343 and Microsoft think that Halo would remain successful by ignoring fan feedback, ignoring their gameplay legacy, and pandering to other gaming audiences? And if you want to continue in indifference and pandering to a slice of that COD pie then go back to your roots like they are.

Overwatch is confident in itself and does its own thing. Rainbow Six is the same. COD is the same. Counter Strike is the same. Battlefield is the same. Gears is the same.

For crying out loud, be confident in Halo and your passionate fans. Seeing snarky responses from devs and dodging valid feedback for this long is nothing but insanity to me.

I wish 343 would just come out and say it like it is. They ultimately don't care about our persistent and simple feedback. Our constructive feedback. The pros feedback.

Trup1aya

Yes.

Subjective (i actually agree with you but the argument remains)

Fair enough, I'd like to see secondary fire modes too. That's not an argument against smart scope though. That's an argument to modify it.

Personally, I dislike the binoculars.

Smart-scope is really just zoom... there's no argument against zooming... but there is an argument against blocking half the screen when zoomed. And there is an argument against giving every weapon more range. And an argument against giving autos more accuracy... all things that have accompanied 343s "smart scope".

The link between the Spartan Visors and the precision weapons was a thing before 343 gave it a name. The current aesthetic actually makes no sense from a gameplay standpoint or 343s narrative explanation for it.

Every time I zoom in with my BR I ask myself, "if this guns viewfinder is linked directly to my visor, why is half of my vision blocked by a scope attachment? I should only see what the gun is pointed at, not the gun itself. I shouldn't even need an attachment!"

Binoculars are good for weapons that really shouldn't have additional range, like shotguns and swords.

I just played a warzone game where all the reqs were visible, they just wouldn't actually work when you selected them. Warzone with pistols and ARs is, uh, interesting. Oops, I mean the opposite. Crushingly boring.

Anyway, I'ma get Taco Bell then all of Halogaf better be on.

Trup1aya

I just played a warzone game where all the reqs were visible, they just wouldn't actually work when you selected them. Warzone with pistols and ARs is, uh, interesting. Oops, I mean the opposite. Crushingly boring.

It's been like that all day for me...

Gwyn

Let's say that they remove sprint/spartan charge in h6 and increase bms would h2/3 arena maps work again in h6 with few/minor tweaks?

Asking cause i can't stand h5 maps anymore especially the post launch maps

Think about it, we might not get h3 anniversary which i really don't care about but having all the good h2/3 maps "remastered" for h6 would be fucking awesome and it would be easy to implement too i guess

Edit: Also it would be a good selling point for people that left halo to come back

Let's say that they remove sprint/spartan charge in h6 and increase bms would h2/3 arena maps work again in h6 with few/minor tweaks?

Asking cause i can't stand h5 maps anymore especially the post launch maps
They would work, so would some Halo 5 maps. Thruster doesn't break classic maps. Sprint + thruster certainly does.

Fuchsdh

Finished catching up on Brooklyn Nine Nine with the missus, people still on?

The servers are wonky today.

Madness

Jem plz. The inclusion of smart scope was bullshit. To try and win over fans of other games that never came. In the end, we got stuck with some shitty holographic stuff that impeded your view especially with pistol. Why I HAVE to see the gun directly in the middle?

I dislike the aesthetics AND since you state it has neglible impact on gameplay why keep it? I hate that answer by Tom French too. Good that they're making him multiplayer designer but we have had as many Halo's with changed shit than we have had classic gameplay. Want sprint and ADS keep playing H5 is an argument we also could make back. And most of us would play Halo 2 MP again if 343 released a working product with MCC. Now we have a barely tolerable MCC with a dead population.

HTupolev

It's not so much how the weapon changes behavior scoped vs unscoped, but rather the shifting of weapon roles that happened in line with making scoping universal. It's not an immediate and explicit effect of ADS, but it is an effect of ADS.

Jem plz. The inclusion of smart scope was bullshit. To try and win over fans of other games that never came. In the end, we got stuck with some shitty holographic stuff that impeded your view especially with pistol. Why I HAVE to see the gun directly in the middle?

I dislike the aesthetics AND since you state it has neglible impact on gameplay why keep it? I hate that answer by Tom French too. Good that they're making him multiplayer designer but we have had as many Halo's with changed shit than we have had classic gameplay. Want sprint and ADS keep playing H5 is an argument we also could make back. And most of us would play Halo 2 MP again if 343 released a working product with MCC. Now we have a barely tolerable MCC with a dead population.

I agree completely.

And what's even more bullshit is 343 focused in on a lot of expanded lore and details. What was the lore of zoom? It was a camera feed to the spartan helmets/eyepieces. Freaking cool and unique.

Now they arbitrarily change the lore of how it works. I remember Frankie amusingly make up this idea that the new ADS gives more peripheral visions for the spartans lol.

So they retcon/rework lore details only if it fits their pandering design changes. Smh lol.

Then they add pistol variants and BR variants with a more classic zoom. It's like they want us to keep fighting them over this. It may seem like a minor thing, but it's all the little impactful details that make the whole.

I remember a podcast with goldenboyFTW (Alex Mendez) as a guest talking to other pros admitting that 343 added hitmarkers, sprint, and ADS to pander to gamer expectations.

Whose expectations? Certainly not Halo fans or anyone familiar with it. Who then? Fans of games that aren't interested in the Sci-fi Halo shooter in the first place. Those gamers won't flock to Halo because of their inclusion lol.

Trup1aya

I agree completely.

And what's even more bullshit is 343 focused in on a lot of expanded lore and details. What was the lore of zoom? It was a camera feed to the spartan helmets/eyepieces. Freaking cool and unique.

Now they arbitrarily change the lore of how it works. I remember Frankie amusingly make up this idea that the new ADS gives more peripheral visions for the spartans lol.

So they retcon/rework lore details only if it fits their pandering design changes. Smh lol.

Then they add pistol variants and BR variants with a more classic zoom. It's like they want us to keep fighting them over this. It may seem like a minor thing, but it's all the little impactful details that make the whole.

I remember a podcast with goldenboyFTW (Alex Mendez) as a guest talking to other pros admitting that 343 added hitmarkers, sprint, and ADS to pander to gamer expectations.

Whose expectations? Certainly not Halo fans or anyone familiar with it. Who then? Fans of games that aren't interested in the Sci-fi Halo shooter in the first place. Those gamers won't flock to Halo because of their inclusion lol.

It's actually worse than that. Smart link is supposed to be a realization of bungie's narrative behind the zoom function. According to 343 it represents the electronic link between the guns viewfinder and the Spartans visor. But that makes ZERO sense, considering Spartans now have to look through scope attachments to zoom in.

Here's the Bungie era discription of the M6 magnum

The M6 series are recoil-operated and magazine-fed. The ‘B’ and ‘D’ variants are issued with the smart-linked KFA-2 x2 scope.

343 didn't invent smart-link. They just butchered it. Now smart-link refers to any 'enhancement' the visor makes to the view finder. Our new M6H2 ditches the 2x zoom module in favor of iron + projection sights... there's nothing "smart" about that.

I honestly wouldn't even care if Halo 6 had perks, armor abilities, bloom, and tripping. The very least 343 should be able to do is code a proper aiming system and physics engine. Everyone is arguing over the chasis, the floor space and the material of the seats when we can't even get the steering wheel to turn and the engine to start.

Get smart scope outta my Halo. #SmartScopeIsForStinkers #LetMeSeeAgain

I don't even know how I feel about it anymore. The Suppressor and other weapons like the Plasma Pistol are cool now that you can use them more viably, but then I look at the BR and wonder why I'd want to obscure half of the screen after 6 games without it.

I get the need to "modernize" Halo. Halo 5 if nothing else made me retroactively look down on the entire series for its undercooked or otherwise antiquated design decisions. Chasing other games however isn't how I would have preferred the series to evolve. The game doesn't really make sense in the context of a competitive arena shooter given the things its predecessors actually excelled at.

Trup1aya

regarding smart-link, i wish they had used it actually differentiate weapons and give them niche characteristics and depth rather than simply giving more range.

like if the PP only had its homing properties when smart-linked. so hipfired 'noob combos' would actually require skill like in CE. and they'd actually be badass plays.

or if the boltshot worked like its h4 version, but smart-link enables the 4sk burst fire.

I honestly wouldn't even care if Halo 6 had perks, armor abilities, bloom, and tripping. The very least 343 should be able to do is code a proper aiming system and physics engine. Everyone is arguing over the chasis, the floor space and the material of the seats when we can't even get the steering wheel to turn and the engine to start.

getting the aiming right should go without saying. i think thats why there's no argument. I'm willing argue about the entire car, because i want the market to again view halo as a must have.

jem0208

Oh yeah, it was definitely done with the intention of attracting other fans.

To clarify, for the most part i prefer classic scope and I'd like to see it return. I just think the gameplay argument is a shit argument.

Trup1aya

Oh yeah, it was definitely done with the intention of attracting other fans.

To clarify, for the most part i prefer classic scope and I'd like to see it return. I just think the gameplay argument is a shit argument.

How though?

The increased accuracy effects gameplay
The loss of peripheral vision effects gameplay
The increased red reticle range on EVERYTHING effects gameplay (seriously why would a link to the visor suddenly make a shotgun/AR/SMG spread less, sword user lunge farther?)

The idea that the very real adverse gameplay implications smart-link has had aren't valid arguments is - a shit argument

I think the lack of accessibility due to the inclusion of Spartan abilities one of H5s biggest problems. It simultaneously raised the skill floor, and shrunk the skill ceiling. The best thing about the old sandbox is that it was easy to learn, difficult to master. Now you have to overcome cumbersome controls, but once you do, the margin for error is massive when it comes to navigation.

Sprint, should be incorporated into joystick movement. The animation is the only element of value and can be included w/o removing the ability to shoot. Also the ability to move at top speed in all directions is CRITICAL, and should not be understanded. It's not enough to make movement LOOK and FEEL liberating. It should actually BE liberating.

Spartan Charge and Slide might end up casualties of sprint not being a secondary mode of travel and I wouldn't care. But I think it would be better to just make them actions enabled by thrusters... melee while thrusting = Spartan Charge. Crouch while thrusting = Slide. I think that would immediately make SC less cheesy.

Clamber has been bad for design. It along with sprint has made it so that most skill jumps require movement in a specific direction and require you remove yourself from action. Also the stabilize+clamber jumps are impossible if you are in a firefight. Removing clamber would be great for map design, but they at least need need to make it possible in any direction.

chyIZcc.gif

Agreed

jem0208

How though?

The increased accuracy effects gameplay
The loss of peripheral vision effects gameplay
The increased red reticle range on EVERYTHING effects gameplay (seriously why would a link to the visor suddenly make a shotgun/AR/SMG spread less, sword user lunge farther?)

The idea that the very real adverse gameplay implications smart-link has had aren't valid arguments is - a shit argument
Because they all have negligible real world effects on the gameplay.

The addition of smartscope basically equates to a slight increase in the effective range of autos. This has a pretty minimal effect on how the game plays. Any situation where you'd get killed from a distance with an AR you're just as easily get killed with a pistol.

Trup1aya

Because they all have negligible real world effects on the gameplay.

The addition of smartscope basically equates to a slight increase in the effective range of autos. This has a pretty minimal effect on how the game plays. Any situation where you'd get killed from a distance with an AR you're just as easily get killed with a pistol.

You think that killing the AR being able to "just as easily" get a kill at mid range as the pistol is "negligible"? That's crazy... it's also untrue- since the magnum is much harder to use. The AR has more aim assist, magnetism, and a lower TTK and a headshot modifier that can be achieved through luck of the random spread.

Akai__

You think that killing the AR being able to "just as easily" get a kill at mid range as the pistol is "negligible"? That's crazy... it's also untrue- since the magnum is much harder to use. The AR has more aim assist, magnetism, and a lower TTK and a headshot modifier that can be achieved through luck of the random spread.

Forgot to post this funny response. This happened when I first tested the new Motion Tracker in MM (Game Link):

Guy was mad that he lost, so he messaged me about how he "destroyed" me with his 11 AR kills. I told him that the AR is easy to use and that everyone can crouch and catch people offguard with it and that was his reply.

IHaveIce

Banned
Tom was awesome for Forge and got the deserved praise.

But now he has all the others just waiting for his tweets and decisions, and every decision will echo in a shitstorm somehow.
Not sure if Tom is ready for that. Hope he will do as much good as he did with forge

Trup1aya

Forgot to post this funny response. This happened when I first tested the new Motion Tracker in MM (Game Link):

Guy was mad that he lost, so he messaged me about how he "destroyed" me with his 11 AR kills. I told him that the AR is easy to use and that everyone can crouch and catch people offguard with it and that was his reply.

Oh man, people are truly delusional

Top Bottom