• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory |OT| Summertime '17

Rixxan

After one spin I'm not sure how I feel about it

I'm comfortable saying that the second half is far better than the first

Yeah Right is hot hot hot (and I was feeling that way even before I heard Kenny on it)

YaBish

This kinda feels like an extension of his style on Ascension. I love that track, and I'm loving the production on this album. Will play a couple more times before feeling out where it fits on my end of year list, but on first listen it's my favorite rap album this year.

jxN3

Just listened to the whole thing on the way home from work.

I'll be honest, I haven't really fucked with Vince much, I've heard some of his singles and always dug them, but never got around to listening to a full project. With that said, my mind was freaking blown at some of the production. Some of the most unreal beats I've heard someone spit over. Is this a shift in his sound, or is this what the majority of his music sounds like? Incredible, I need a few more listens, but damn, this may be up there with, well, damn.

My speakers couldn't handle 'Yeah Right' -- I may have blown them, I kept trying to twist the knob higher than 50.

RIP speakers.

Takuan

My speakers couldn't handle 'Yeah Right' -- I may have blown them, I kept trying to twist the knob higher than 50.

RIP speakers.
Might just be the quality of the track, it sounds like shit on my headphones too.

So far I prefer Summertime, but this isn't bad, just different.

Edit: I had a feelin' BagBak would bang. This is car play on repeat.

Edit2: Bought the album off Google music. Second half is stronger than the first, but the tracks that hit, hit HARD.

Goldboy

After my first listen I'm not a fan of this album. It's shorter than Summertime 06 but doesn't feel any more consistent. The only memorable verse on the album for me was Kendrick's on "Yeah Right."

Bronx-Man

Banned
Didn't like this at all, 745 bangs but the rest can be kept. Dude just wanted to put out an eletronica album without any effort put in it at all. It's like he took the rhymes from a completely album and put them onto an electro album he found lying around.

Lemaitre

Banned
Albums odd in the sense that I enjoy it while listening but it doesn't really stay in my head. Neither the lyrics nor the production.

Moonkid

Kendrick verse was... not too bad actually. I'm gonna have to let this simmer and read the lyrics to boot. Can't say I dislike anything so far, though Ty's hook gets kinda boring.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'd say this was his worst work, but he did put out Prima Donna.

He is not on a good run post-Summertime.

Great production but it really feels empty and devoid of any of the charisma I enjoy in his raps. Not sure how I'm gonna feel about this in a week or two.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd say this was his worst work, but he did put out Prima Donna.

He is not on a good run post-Summertime.

The thing is, even if Prima Donna isn't as good as Hell Can Wait and Big Fish Theory isn't as good as Summertime '06 all four releases are still some of the best shit being released in modern hip hop.

Other than Kendrick and RTJ I can't think of anyone else as consistently brilliant (that I listen to anyway).

Kevtones

My whole Friday was on fire. Thoughts:

- great style turn, first track sets the tone
- so different
- this is a record MoMa
- SOPHIE been tossed around a bit, feels good to hear them on a good trend
- this is one slithery fucking record
- 745 is fucking cheese and still an...
- Homage is my fave actually
- personally love having an LB connection
- party people is on a diff level; doesn't always work but god it's trying and great
- Vince is my favorite

This is an everywhere record but GOD does it play well straight through. Do yourself a favor and take it front to back. Phew.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The thing is, even if Prima Donna isn't as good as Hell Can Wait and Big Fish Theory isn't as good as Summertime '06 all four releases are still some of the best shit being released in modern hip hop.

Other than Kendrick and RTJ I can't think of anyone else as consistently brilliant (that I listen to anyway).

Don't misunderstand me, I think PD and BFT are trash.

He's slacking lyrically.

phanphare

Banned
Boy I'm buoyant, we are
Floating on them peons
Go in 'til they take my bro'nem out them CDCRs
Prison system broken, racial war commotion
Until the president get ashy, Vincent won't be votin'
We need Tamikas and Shaniquas in that Oval Office
Obama ain't enough for me, we only getting started
The next Bill Gates can be on Section 8 up in the projects
So 'til they love my dark skin
Bitch I'm goin' all in

PBEMuvM.gif

Clap your hands if the police ever profiled
You ain't gotta worry, don't be scary 'cause we on now
Ain't no gentrifying us, we finna buy the whole town
Tell the one percent to suck a dick, because we on now
We on now, we on now
Tell the one percent to suck a dick, because we on now
Tell the government to suck a dick, because we on now
Tell the president to suck a dick, because we on now
We on now

CfdhYgs.gif

Other than Danny Brown and RTJ I can't think of anyone else as consistently brilliant (that I listen to anyway).
Ftfy

Mau ®

The more I listen, the more I wish he went full on with the PC-music style. SOPHIE oughta produce his next album/ep entirely. Whew.

Top Bottom