• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hows the Berserk anime? (1997)

Zushin

Howdy,

Berserk boxset is currently on sale in Australia and was wondering how the anime is? I've read the first 5 or 6 volumes of the manga and enjoyed what I've read so this has piqued my interest. Death Note is also on sale for the same price which I've heard good things about. Recommendation?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its the best adaptation of the manga so far even if it does alter a lot of the smaller side elements and cuts out a couple of characters. The ending is abrupt but I won't say more since you haven't read that far in the manga but it will most certainly make you want to jump right into the manga afterwards.

Its got incredible music, the english dub is still great, it stays incredibly true to the themes, tone and characters in the manga but the animation isn't the strongest with a lot of still images but they're pretty good at using them in combination with music, sound effects and so on.

Breads

Banned
It was somewhat troubled but I enjoyed it overall. Above average voice acting for the time and it had a lot of good music and set piece moments.

Overtime, in comparison to other adaptations of Berserk, it just keeps looking better and better.

'97 Anime -> 3rd movie -> Manga

Skip the 2016/2017 anime.

This is a good way to do it. Make sure to reread all of the manga. Don't skip familiar parts. Won't say why but if you made it this far you won't regret it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The opening is some really weird tonally dissonant shit and there is no ending. But the rest is good.

turmoil

Banned
I love the 1997 anime, watched it all when I finished the manga.

Just don't expect high budget animation, the rest is topnotch.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The opening is some really weird tonally dissonant shit and there is no ending. But the rest is good.

Well the opening connects to what the anime never got to cover so if you do get into the manga it fits quite well. Sadly... the newest adaptation butchers all that.

Its the best adaptation of the manga so far even if it does alter a lot of the smaller side elements and cuts out a couple of characters. The ending is abrupt but I won't say more since you haven't read that far in the manga but it will most certainly make you want to jump right into the manga afterwards.

Its got incredible music, the english dub is still great, it stays incredibly true to the themes, tone and characters in the manga but the animation isn't the strongest with a lot of still images but they're pretty good at using them in combination with music, sound effects and so on.

yeah basically this.

its very clearly restrained by a lack of budget, but its an adaptation that very clearly understands the source material, and does a fantastic job it capturing the spirit of the manga despite barely being able to animate.

totes recommend.

Moaradin

It's great. It's the only adaption that actually got the pacing and tone right. It's not perfect, but it's the best choice after the manga.

Zushin

Alrighty thanks guys. And for the same price as Death Note which would you guys think is worth buying more?

Imm0rt4l

It's worth watching for sure. I won't bother with the new series, better to just read the manga.

The outtakes are so good

RedSwirl

Kinda low budget, but definitely the best non-manga version of Berserk. I believe it covers up to around volume 13, but ends at probably the worst possible point in the manga's storyline. You'll want to immediately see what happens next in the manga.

And yeah, the dub outtakes alone are worth the price if you ask me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Well the opening connects to what the anime never got to cover so if you do get into the manga it fits quite well. Sadly... the newest adaptation butchers all that.
No, I mean the song

It's a good anime despite it's low budget, and manages to be relatively faithful adaptation that captures the spirit and tone of the manga. Sure it cuts out a bit of stuff and doesn't have the complete ending to the golden age arc, but it still gets the important parts of the manga, namely the characters and their relationships, correct and manages to be the best adaptation of the manga to date. It's better than the golden age movies and miles better than the atrocity that is berserk 2016/17.

Blues1990

I'm much more partial to the 2012 Golden Age movies, but there are things that the 1997 anime did a lot better. The encounter with Nosferatu Zodd was much more memorable in the 90's anime, for example.

Gulz1992

I personally don't think it's great, but it is competently made and it nails the feel and tone of the manga. Watch the first episode and see what you think of it.

TB4PqXs.jpg

L7wXXbo.jpg

0ihqo40.jpg

Ocd592N.jpg

rGJkCsT.jpg

cJzQs6e.jpg

etc.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
One of the best animes of all time, when you take in the animation and OST. To the point where any adaptations thereafter cause extreme pain

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Yeah I dug the 97 anime and the soundtrack is amazing.

I hope I live long enough to see this series complete and get the proper animation or live action show/movie it deserves.

Kalnos

Banned
Alrighty thanks guys. And for the same price as Death Note which would you guys think is worth buying more?

Death Note 100%. It's a completed series. After the Berserk anime is finished you will just start reading the manga to find out what happens anyway! (the anime only covers one arc of the story)

Strimei

I hope I live long enough to see this series complete and get the proper animation or live action show/movie it deserves.

That'd be nice, but that's also assuming Miura ever finishes it. Manga went back on hiatus until Winter. Its been 4 chapters since it started up from the last hiatus.

Though at least they're off that damn boat. I'll take that and be satisfied.

Ushay

Whatever you do, don't watch the current running anime AT ALL EVER DONT FUCKING DO IT.

This. Don't touch it with a barge pole even. It's trash.

Read the Manga its the best version of the story you will experience. One day we may even get a justified anime.

I like it better than the manga but I might be in the minority. It's great, just don't expect it to have a satisfying ending. Still worth it though.

Onemic

One of my personal top 3 anime's of all time tbh. Makes you want to immediately find out what happens after the end though...Which I guess is a good sell on the manga lol.
Which you should read after watching

The Berserk anime is legitimately pretty darn good. It's got limited animation. But the art and backgrounds and direction are all quiet good. The background art in particular is stellar by the legendary Shichiro Kobayashi. If you've watched anime you've seen his work somewhere around. Unfortunately the animation is quite limited. It works because the story, direction, artwork, voice work, and music are amazing.

The dub is atrocious. Sub only for this one. That said, the dub has a bloopers reel that is a must listen after the series.

Solid start to the series. I watched it before reading the manga and am perfectly happy with my experience.

Xero

The Berserk anime is legitimately pretty darn good. It's got limited animation. But the art and backgrounds and direction are all quiet good. The background art in particular is stellar by the legendary Shichiro Kobayashi. If you've watched anime you've seen his work somewhere around. Unfortunately the animation is quite limited. It works because the story, direction, artwork, voice work, and music are amazing.

The dub is atrocious. Sub only for this one. That said, the dub has a bloopers reel that is a must listen after the series.

Solid start to the series. I watched it before reading the manga and am perfectly happy with my experience.

Disagree dub is great.

SolVanderlyn

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The first episode was what i was expecting and then the rest of the show happens. Loved it a lot. After that watched all the movies and the new series (not the latest). Havent touched the manga really though. The new series i enjoyed well enough but it was kind of jarring going to it right from the 97 series. Decided to watch the movies even though they were just a "recap" of what i had just seen and it turns out that the slightly different focus in other areas led to a fuller understanding of the story.

edit:

Just wanted to note that im not a big fan of anime and i consider the show and movies a must watch.

Loved it, and I didn't even read the manga beforehand. Only thing I couldn't stand was the opening and ending themes. The Engrish is too strong for me.

Also, WTF at that gif? Is that really the new anime? South Park 1st season had better animation.

Top Bottom