• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I also enjoyed the fifth palace - I think most people who didn't like it got annoyed by the
airlock puzzle
, particularly as the game keeps telling you you're almost at the end of the palace before that point.

I have a few months of spare time to indulge in gaming but I have a pretty big backlog and they are all "meaty" 50+ hour games (I'm looking at you Horizon, Zelda and Yakuza)

So I bought P5 2 months ago but have yet the chance to play it, but all the negative threads/opinions on GAF are really putting me off

Everyone either says 3 or 4 are better. I enjoyed P3 after I finished P4G, it wasn't as good as P4G to me (story and character wise) but I still enjoyed myself thoroughly, it just wasn't as memorable. I was more a fan of the small urban area and the light beat/comedic tone of the story and the air of mystery. Not to mention Nanako.

Should I give P5 a chance?

Arrrammis

I have a few months of spare time to indulge in gaming but I have a pretty big backlog and they are all "meaty" 50+ hour games (I'm looking at you Horizon, Zelda and Yakuza)

So I bought P5 2 months ago but have yet the chance to play it, but all the negative threads/opinions on GAF are really putting me off

Everyone either says 3 or 4 are better. I enjoyed P3 after I finished P4G, it wasn't as good as P4G to me (story and character wise) but I still enjoyed myself thoroughly, it just wasn't as memorable. I was more a fan of the small urban area and the light beat/comedic tone of the story and the air of mystery. Not to mention Nanako.

I'd say yes, at least go until you finish the first palace. The first few hours can be kind of slow (lots of dialogue and setups), but once you get into the meat of dungeon crawling and day to day life, it's fantastic.

Eridani

Everyone says that 3 or 4 are better? That's not really true. Persona 5 makes some huge improvements to a lot of the central mechanics - dungeons, social links (and the whole life sim aspect in general) and combat, which makes it my favorite out of the three. And I'm definitely not the only one that thinks that. There really doesn't seem to be a clear consensus to which game is better, which makes sense considering how tonally different all of them are.

If you liked P3 and P4G, and already own P5, there really is no good reason that you shouldn't give P5 a chance. If it turns out that you don't like the game, just stop playing - since you already bought it it's not like you'll be wasting any money.

The game is as far away from "a small urban area" as possible, and the story's not nearly as light beat/comedic as P4 though, so keep that in mind.

They are a vocal minority, P5 is excellent. My favorite of the modern ones.

I also enjoyed the fifth palace - I think most people who didn't like it got annoyed by the
airlock puzzle
, particularly as the game keeps telling you you're almost at the end of the palace before that point.

My biggest gripe about that dungeon wasn't the airlock puzzle. Although I may have been lucky. I basically flipped the switches on a whim and happened to unlock the route to the exit with minimal backtracking--so much that I wondered if a mini-boss was waiting for me at the end, because it all seemed too simple.

Anyway, what I disliked was the sequence with lunch break switches. Constantly running around back and forth, having to watch the "break time!" and "back to work, maggots!" bits every time... From what I remember, there were even two rooms where you had to do that. That shit got real old, real fast.

That said, every palace had parts that just weren't that interesting or even a bit of a chore to play through and I don't regard the single dungeon as 'the worst'. I do think some of them were a bit long. Then again, I did try to tackle them in a single day when possible. I think I'm going to enjoy them more on New Game+, when I don't have to worry about raising stats and the like.

I'd say yes, at least go until you finish the first palace. The first few hours can be kind of slow (lots of dialogue and setups), but once you get into the meat of dungeon crawling and day to day life, it's fantastic.

I have no problem with the slow start. I enjoyed getting introduced to the world, or town in the case of P4G.

Everyone says that 3 or 4 are better? That's not really true.

The game is as far away from "a small urban area" as possible, and the story's not nearly as light beat/comedic as P4 though, so keep that in mind.

Sorry, I meant to say a vocal minority prefer the cast from either 3/4, as well as the story in 5 feels lacking compared to the previous 2 modern entries.

They are a vocal minority, P5 is excellent. My favorite of the modern ones.

Fingers crossed!

I'm one of those people and I still say that you should give Persona 5 a chance. It's a very good game. The fact that some of us were disappointed in the game doesn't mean that it's a bad entry, or that you wouldn't enjoy it.

There is a lot to love in Persona 5. The game (like any other title ever released) has its flaws and for some people (like me), it wasn't exactly what they wanted. But depending on your expectations and preferences you might really like it.

Just got to palace 6, some interesting story beats leading up to it.
Great music too. Starting to wonder how many in-game days I have left, since I've seen people say they maxed all confidants without a guide I was hoping to do the same but I don't think I'm gonna make it, no big deal, just curious because I think I've managed my time pretty well.

Just got to palace 6, some interesting story beats leading up to it.
Great music too. Starting to wonder how many in-game days I have left, since I've seen people say they maxed all confidants without a guide I was hoping to do the same but I don't think I'm gonna make it, no big deal, just curious because I think I've managed my time pretty well.

Hard to say anything about it without knowing your confidant levels, but I managed to do it without a guide on the very last free day of the game. It didn't look like it for a long time either, but in the end I managed. So who knows, you might just make it.

One tip would be to get the Fortune confidant to level 7 ASAP, if you haven't already, as it gives you an ability to boost confidant points without taking up free time. It does cost money, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Hard to say anything about it without knowing your confidant levels, but I managed to do it without a guide on the very last free day of the game. It didn't look like it for a long time either, but in the end I managed. So who knows, you might just make it.

One tip would be to get the Fortune confidant to level 7 ASAP, if you haven't already, as it gives you an ability to boost confidant points without taking up free time. It does cost money, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I've been aware of Fortune's perks for a while, it's incredibly useful, I use it every day.

I didn't actually go beyond Rank 1 with the Fortune confidant until November because I wasn't interested in the character's story much and the confidant's next unlockable skill didn't seem useful to me.

It's past 3 AM where I live, and I just finished watching the entirety of the true ending after being glued to the controller and TV through the whole afternoon.

I will write my full thoughts someday.
But for now, all I can really say is...

THIS IS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED.
And the thing is, it already was before today.

It's past 3 AM where I live and I just finished watching the entirety of the true ending after being glued to the controller and TV through the whole afternoon.

THIS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

Good to hear you enjoyed it man! Its def one of my favorite games of all time as well :).

Good to hear you enjoyed it man! Its def one of my favorite games of all time as well :).

Well, I may see it now as THE best since it is my most recent gaming memory, but no matter how much time may pass, with the perspective that comes with it, there is no way that P5 doesn't remain within my top 10 or even top 5 of all time.

Last year with the whole #7favegames discussion that happened across the internet, I remember really struggling to the find that seventh game, but know I think I can finally post the complete list:

Persona 5
Persona 4 Golden
Bloodborne
Okami HD
Portal 2
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence

Complete focus on modern games, but I believe it's a pretty damm good list. One thing is undeniable though, JAPANESE GAMES RULE. Always have, always will.

There are of course some other mixed feelings. A part of me just wanted to be done with the whole thing and go enjoy some other games, but after such an immense journey, one that took over and consumed such a big part of my life for 3 and a half months, I can't help but feel empty inside.

I'm going to miss you Phantom Thieves...

(Silly and meaningless spoiler)
...specially Makoto the true and only waifu.

Blackage

I beat the game on Hard and I started a Merciless playthrough on new game+, but man the 60% exp/yen reduction just killed the re-experience for me immediately. I HATE grinding in any JRPG, I can't imagine even attempting this game on Merciless without NG+, props to any of you that took it there.

Ugh I just got this perk in late November and am kicking myself for not getting it sooner.

I'm still not sure if I want to do a new game+ as I had to take an extended break from P5 during the 5th dungeon and just recently got motivation to get back in and finish the game. But on the other side of things, I won't be able to max all confident's and really want to see what happens to everyone... :/

Reszo

Does anyone know how to find the IT president? i found the vent and the part of the wall im supposed to climb up but its not letting me climb

NSESN

After almost 250 hours I finally got the platinum trophy. I usually don't care about trophies but I think Persona 5 deserved it.

80 hours in, palace 6 done save for the boss, working on momemtos missions.

Still hopeful I can get most of my remaining confidants maxed.

But most importantly, i've got strength confidant to max! Time to make me some game breaking personas!

Don't know if I have the money for it though. Currently at lv 54.

PK Gaming

DFiq8J8U0AAi-0N.jpg

DFiq-AtUIAADPxD.jpg

That's it. That's literally the game when it comes to gifts and romance

source

Yopis

It's past 3 AM where I live, and I just finished watching the entirety of the true ending after being glued to the controller and TV through the whole afternoon.

THIS IS THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED.

Feel the same. Game is true classic.

Lynx_7

The sixth palace is so great on all fronts. Story build-up, music, visuals, design. It really is a shame, then, how the abundancy of SP recovery this late in the game and all the confidant abilities completely trivialize dungeon crawling. If there was the same amount of tension here as there were in the first 4 palaces it'd have been my favorite one hands down. It still is purely from an "experience" perspective, but the gameplay loop holds it back. I wish I could hope for a rebalancing if we ever get a FES/Golden release, but truth be told, they'd most likely make it even more unbalanced if past rereleases are anything to go by.

Also, unrelated, but I just saw (NG+ bonus boss spoilers)
Caroline and Justine's all out attack on youtube and damn, that's stylish. I know it'd probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth, but it made me wish we had custom animated finishers for when you down an enemy team with more than one party member through Baton Pass. Like, if you exploited one enemy's weakness with Joker, baton passed to Haru, downed the other enemies and killed them with an AOA, it would play a finisher animation with Joker and Haru instead of just Haru. Considering all the possible combinations, like I said, it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth, but let me dream :p

Milijango

That proficiency wall at the start of Haru's confidant is so mean. If the requirement had shown up halfway through the route I'd understand, but I'm in December and really don't know jack shit about her because of it. Almost finished with everyone else's confidant yet I still can't baton pass to her.

This game is brilliant by the way.

The sixth palace is so great on all fronts. Story build-up, music, visuals, design. It really is a shame, then, how the abundancy of SP recovery this late in the game and all the confidant abilities completely trivialize dungeon crawling. If there was the same amount of tension here as there were in the first 4 palaces it'd have been my favorite one hands down. It still is purely from an "experience" perspective, but the gameplay loop holds it back. I wish I could hope for a rebalancing if we ever get a FES/Golden release, but truth be told, they'd most likely make it even more unbalanced if past rereleases are anything to go by.

Also, unrelated, but I just saw (NG+ bonus boss spoilers)
Caroline and Justine's all out attack on youtube and damn, that's stylish. I know it'd probably be a lot more trouble than it's worth, but it made me wish we had custom animated finishers for when you down an enemy team with more than one party member through Baton Pass. Like, if you exploited one enemy's weakness with Joker, baton passed to Haru, downed the other enemies and killed them with an AOA, it would play a finisher animation with Joker and Haru instead of just Haru. Considering all the possible combinations, like I said, it'd probably be more trouble than it's worth, but let me dream :p
I just wanted a custom finisher for when you kill off a Futaba position hack. Futaba deserves an AoA win screen.

1upsuper

Finished the sixth palace and the ensuing cutscene and I have a couple questions. If they're elucidated later on, please don't spoil me! Near-endgame spoilers:
How did the Thieves find Joker's shadow so easily and why was he OK with getting killed? Killing him didn't trigger a mental shutdown because it was someone else's version of Joker, and not his own, right? Futaba's explanation didn't do it for me. I'm also still just generally confused about Akechi's apparent motive for wanting to change Sae's heart. His true motive is clear enough -- it was an opportunity to implicate the Thieves and get them arrested. But during their team chat about a month ago, I couldn't quite follow his justification. He said that she would be a target because she was involved in tracking the Thieves and thus changing her heart would save her? What?

Arrrammis

Finished the sixth palace and the ensuing cutscene and I have a couple questions. If they're elucidated later on, please don't spoil me! Near-endgame spoilers:
How did the Thieves find Joker's shadow so easily and why was he OK with getting killed? Killing him didn't trigger a mental shutdown because it was someone else's version of Joker, and not his own, right? Futaba's explanation didn't do it for me. I'm also still just generally confused about Akechi's apparent motive for wanting to change Sae's heart. His true motive is clear enough -- it was an opportunity to implicate the Thieves and get them arrested. But during their team chat about a month ago, I couldn't quite follow his justification. He said that she would be a target because she was involved in tracking the Thieves and thus changing her heart would save her? What?

- This is kind of a weird one for me, but basically I think that since Sai only perceived Joker sitting calmly at the table there, in her palace Joker will be sitting there calmly until Sai's cognition is changed, so the gang knew Joker's shadow would be there.
- Correct
- Akechi just wanted to bring the Phantom Thieves into a position where he could arrest them, and he knew that they would have to face off against the police eventually, and also that Makoto was worried about her sister, so he just kind of vaguely hinted at the chance that Sai could become a target, and worked to push the Phantom Thieves towards targeting her next. The gang wanted to help Sai and clear their names, so I guess they didn't look too far into Akechi's intentions (apart from the Pancakes thing).

I agree that they could have been a bit clearer and more concise with what actually happened, but oh well.

1upsuper

- This is kind of a weird one for me, but basically I think that since Sai only perceived Joker sitting calmly at the table there, in her palace Joker will be sitting there calmly until Sai's cognition is changed, so the gang knew Joker's shadow would be there.
- Correct
- Akechi just wanted to bring the Phantom Thieves into a position where he could arrest them, and he knew that they would have to face off against the police eventually, and also that Makoto was worried about her sister, so he just kind of vaguely hinted at the chance that Sai could become a target, and worked to push the Phantom Thieves towards targeting her next. The gang wanted to help Sai and clear their names, so I guess they didn't look too far into Akechi's intentions (apart from the Pancakes thing).

I agree that they could have been a bit clearer and more concise with what actually happened, but oh well.

That's helpful, thank you.

On that subject
wouldn't the I dunno hundred or so cops who were taken into the palace be some massive liabilities? All of them have seen the cognitive world, so if any one of them talks it's existence becomes known. And if whistleblowers start dropping dead, doesn't that cause a major problem in itself?

As for jokers cognitive version, i figure it was just in the place that Sae last saw him. She expected him to be there, so there he was.

As for music, honestly I loved the themes for palaces 4, 5, 6, and 7 thusfar. Each were pretty legit in their own way.

broz0rs

That proficiency wall at the start of Haru's confidant is so mean. If the requirement had shown up halfway through the route I'd understand, but I'm in December and really don't know jack shit about her because of it. Almost finished with everyone else's confidant yet I still can't baton pass to her.

This game is brilliant by the way.

haha yeah, that Haru wall gets everybody unless you read threads often or use a guide.

haha yeah, that Haru wall gets everybody unless you read threads often or use a guide.

The walls are what really kills blind playthoughs for new persona players. Given that confidants are only available at certain times, not being able to scale the wall when the time is right can lead to you never finishing that confidant's tale.

Kaelan

Just reached the 7th palace and man this game is amazing. I definitely loved the elaborate plan
having you die but its just a cognition etc
was simply cunning as hell and I loved how they finessed it. Just gotta get this through but man this game has been a blast. Might go back and play P4G after this since I never really beat it

Last time I played I actually tried to start Haru's confidant and yeah, proficiency is still at level 4 so no luck, hopefully I can max it and still complete her confidant.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Haru, Yusuke, and Shinya are all at rank 9. Iwai at 8. All other confidants are maxed.

It's December 12th.

I want to believe.
9 to 10 typically doesn't take more than one trip, as far as I can tell. I think Haru is just set to level up every visit because she shows up so late.

Lunar15

I'd go as far as saying that P5 is objectively the best persona game from a gameplay standpoint.

Storywise, I think this game is actually stronger than P4 in so many areas, even if P4 has it beat in a couple as well. It's only major problem is that it just isn't as well paced as 4 is. Otherwise, I think the plot is way more engaging in 5 than it is in 4, and I think the cast is better, as a whole.

I think people are disappointed that this game isn't the be all end all of Persona games, but it's really just doing a lot of very different things from 4. There's zero reason not to give it a shot. If you enjoyed 3 and 4, you will undoubtedly enjoy 5 just as much, if not even more than either of those games.

I have everyone but Star and Chariot at max (well, save for those who are story bound). Star at 9 and Chariot 7, with two weeks till deadline.

Star is a gimme, but no idea if the game will let me finish chariot in that time.

Mezoly

Other than Trophies, is there a story reason to max all confidants? Like I won't get the best ending or some important cutscene.
I stopped playing the game after palace 5 because I was burned out of the game. I felt anxiety and burden of just trying to play the game optimally other than enjoy it. I know people will say you need to play it twice to get max benefit but it's a 100 hours game and I'm enjoying it, just not enough to replay it.

Other than Trophies, is there a story reason to max all confidants? Like I won't get the best ending or some important cutscene.
I stopped playing the game after palace 5 because I was burned out of the game. I felt anxiety and burden of just trying to play the game optimally other than enjoy it. I know people will say you need to play it twice to get max benefit but it's a 100 hours game and I'm enjoying it, just not enough to replay it.

You are not locked out of the true ending per se if don't max all confindants. But you do get some additional scenes.

I only maxed half of all confidants, and despite missing a lot of these small scenes the ending still works nicely and I very much enjoyed it.

Already looking forward to NG+ and maxing out all of them.

Curufinwe

If you use the Fortune boost as much as possible you should be bale to max every confidant. I was far from optimal in my choices and didn't follow a guide, but I still managed to max everyone. On the last possible day, but I did it.

Mezoly

You are not locked out of the true ending per se if don't max all confindants. But you do get some additional scenes.

I only maxed half of all confidants, and despite missing a lot of these small scenes the ending still works nicely and I very much enjoyed it.

Already looking forward to NG+ and maxing out all of them.
Sounds good, I will try to max the confidants I like the most.

If you use the Fortune boost as much as possible you should be bale to max every confidant. I was far from optimal in my choices and didn't follow a guide, but I still managed to max everyone. On the last possible day, but I did it.
I didn't know about that boost when I played. Now I'm in October and Fortune is only level 3, I'll work on increasing it asap and hope for the best.

Top Bottom