• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS all new hardware is out now and Creator's update is a go for Win 10

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I thought the Creators Update released months ago. I'm glad it has released.

Edit: This post was meant to be deleted as a draft, yet I hit post. :/

epmode

Fnally got the OneDive update working in Windows 10. It’s nice having that functionality again but it may be a little buggy. I have two folders whose status shows that OneDrive is updating, but every single file in the two folders is properly synced. If I rename the troublesome folders, the staus fixes itself instantly.. ..but the problem returns as soon as I revert to the old name.

Here’s hoping the problem fixes itself.

Jinroh

The updater is a pos. It's been like 20 minutes and it's now at 86%, from 83%. When you install from an ISO everything is just so quick.

Izuna

Banned
If this breaks...

My custom resolutions
My refresh overlocking
My undervolting
Anything to do with file indexing
My ICC profiles

I will riot.

Primus

The updater is a pos. It's been like 20 minutes and it's now at 86%, from 83%. When you install from an ISO everything is just so quick.

I had the same issues. Took about 5 minutes to download, then another 5 minutes or so to get to 75%. Then it stalled and took like half an hour to get that last 25% and reboot.

Izuna

Banned
FUCK MY ICC PROFILE IS BROKEN AND SO IS MY REFRESH RATE SWITCHER

edit: okay, so I got my ICC Profile working but I'm not sure if it's correct anymore? Did this update change the colour temperature or something? ;/

Regardless, it seems the Display ID changed so maybe I just have to treat it as a new monitor and I get my 100hz back

EDIT2: Panic over, CRU "detailed resolutions" are still there, it was just NVCP that needed the customer resolutions redone.

However I'm sure the ICC profile is no longer accurate, either that or Chrome is acting up. Meh

ghostjoke

Banned
Keep in mind that Microsoft is trying to make sure everything is compatible with screens ranging from 3" to 30", roughly. Which is why elements have more negative space around them - not only is this better aesthetically, it allows for touch target sizes.

Anyways, I just really dislike the way you can end up spawning 3-5 little sub windows with basic activities, aside from other split personality things like 2 nVidia control panels (Control Panel and Experience). It's just really... old-fashioned. I agree that Settings needs to be expanded to include the previous functions but it should definitely be in that fluent UX frame. Also, the 2 prevalent views of Control Panel (Categories vs Icon view) which is pretty problematic when searching for solutions to problems or where things are. They just need to consolidate, and the old Win98 stuff doesn't scale, and is total crap from a UX perspective. It also looks like garbage on a 4K monitor.

I'm aware of the reasoning, but that doesn't change that I've yet to find it suitable for any screen size/device I've used, ranging from a 4K TV to a 2in1 netbook. We're two years into Microsoft's jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none philosophy and it's showing no signs of working as they promised, especially when you compared it to OSX/iOS. I definitely don't find it aesthetically pleasing either. The fluent design in general is ugly to me on top of being a practical nightmare when using an actual computer. Control Panel is outdated for modern times, but at least the basic functionality is there while it burns your eyeballs out at high resolutions.

I somehow doubt Microsoft will port over everything to settings. There's too much stuff that can drastically impact how a computer works and they seem hellbent on making those options as hard to access as possible

shiyrley

Banned
I just updated to the fall creators update and now I'm getting tearing in PUBG... in borderless fullscreen, which is supposed to have forced vsync always on. GTX 1070.

Durante save me.

My work laptop had the Microsoft store pulled unceremoniously by the IT gods. Is there any chance this update will stick it back in? I only ask because as far as I can tell there's no way for me to get it back atm outside of a reinstall of windows.

Magwik

Banned
I just updated to the fall creators update and now I'm getting tearing in PUBG... in borderless fullscreen, which is supposed to have forced vsync always on. GTX 1070.

Durante save me.
To be fair a PUBG update hit today too that might have fucked your settings

shockdude

Update seems to have installed ok, though I haven't checked if anything broke yet.

the new Bluetooth icon is really ugly though.

Edit: they added an emoji picker oh boy 🙃🤔
emoji-picker.png

Sigh I can't wait to spend all week fixing what their magical update has broken. I swear these updates are just designed to keep tech support in business.

emag

Durante save me.

Turn off game mode. Unfortunately, you have to do so individually for each game that Microsoft has whitelisted. :(

Izuna

Banned
Turn off game mode. Unfortunately, you have to do so individually for each game that Microsoft has whitelisted. :(

I don't think that's true. You can turn off all the full-screen optimisations for every game with the setting to turn off the Game Bar.

EDIT: What the fuck is TruePlay?

EDIT 2: It looks like.... we can't disable Game Mode anymore? Wait a second.

emag

I don't think that's true. You can turn off all the full-screen optimisations for every game with the setting to turn off the Game Bar.

EDIT: What the fuck is TruePlay?

EDIT 2: It looks like.... we can't disable Game Mode anymore? Wait a second.

Yeah, you have to go to each game's properties and select "disable fullscreen optimizations" in the compatibility tab. Turning off the Game Bar has no effect on disabling Game Mode.

Maybe Microsoft differentiates between "Game Mode" and "fullscreen optimizations", but both are bad and difficult to disable.

JaggedSac

I'm aware of the reasoning, but that doesn't change that I've yet to find it suitable for any screen size/device I've used, ranging from a 4K TV to a 2in1 netbook. We're two years into Microsoft's jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none philosophy and it's showing no signs of working as they promised, especially when you compared it to OSX/iOS. I definitely don't find it aesthetically pleasing either. The fluent design in general is ugly to me on top of being a practical nightmare when using an actual computer. Control Panel is outdated for modern times, but at least the basic functionality is there while it burns your eyeballs out at high resolutions.

I somehow doubt Microsoft will port over everything to settings. There's too much stuff that can drastically impact how a computer works and they seem hellbent on making those options as hard to access as possible

Is anything actually using fluent design elements at this point?

Fnally got the OneDive update working in Windows 10. It’s nice having that functionality again but it may be a little buggy. I have two folders whose status shows that OneDrive is updating, but every single file in the two folders is properly synced. If I rename the troublesome folders, the staus fixes itself instantly.. ..but the problem returns as soon as I revert to the old name.

Here’s hoping the problem fixes itself.

how did you get it to show the Files on Demand option? I followed that link's instructions and still nothing

people worried that it might break something, you don't have to update for a whole year.

One year for someone to create something that removes or blocks game mode at all times.

Thanks MS.

Consumer: "Game Mode is bad"

MS: "Don't worry, we got ya" - makes the thing automatic and hard to disable.

epmode

how did you get it to show the Files on Demand option? I followed that link's instructions and still nothing

I first installed all pending Windows Updates, then I Installed this executable: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=851311

Are you certain that you’ve installed the Fall update? I doubt that the OneDrive executable will work if you haven’t. The Fall update install takes a very long time, even with a solid state drive.

My account is apparently in the first wave for the new Creator’s update so it came through plain old Windows Update. If you haven’t already been flagged, you’d have to manually install it.

(I know you’re probably aware of this. I wrote it just in case you’re new to this stuff.)

M3d10n

Seems the updated OneDrive app is being rolled in waves or something. You can install the latest version manually using this link and it will work:

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=851311

I first installed all pending Windows Updates, then I Installed this executable: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=851311

Are you certain that you've installed the Fall update? I doubt that the OneDrive executable will work if you haven't. The Fall update install takes a very long time, even with a solid state drive.

My account is apparently in the first wave for the new Creator's update so it came through plain old Windows Update. If you haven't already been flagged, you'd have to manually install it.

(I know you're probably aware of this. I wrote it just in case you're new to this stuff.)

The actual "I cannot use my PC" update phase was very quick for me, actually. I remember a blog post about how Microsoft has been focusing on shortening that phase as much as possible but in exchange had to increase the overall time it takes because the phase where you can do other stuff while updating in background had to become much longer.

Also, seems this build contains the improvements to reduce the amount of reboots needed after an update is installed. Had a few security updates pending after the upgrade and they all installed without need for a restart.

So updated to Fall creators and picked up a Dell Mixed Reality HMD today and I finally get it. Plugging in the headset I immediately had access to thousands of 'apps' that just run in the VR environment. I had Netflix going in one 'room', browsing the web on another pinned app and I could chat on Skype. I use the Hololens for some work demo stuff and so it was all very familiar. The same apps that you can use in Hologram form can be used in VR in these headsets. Also not having to setup tracking devices like Vive and Oculus is huge.

Of course this will all probably be discounted because so many hate them but Microsoft with this release just did more to make VR/AR legitimately useful than all the other companies (apart from maybe Oculus) combined. I can buy a Surface Book (or any VR ready laptop) put it in a bag and immediately have a boundless VR experience anywhere. Mind is officially blown.

M3d10n

do i need microsoft launcher installed on my phone to link with the PC ?

Yes, but you don't have to actually use it. I switched back to my old launcher and I can still send sites to my PC (which is good because I really like the MIUI launcher).

(How would that even work without any sort of app installed on the phone?)

tzare

Yes, but you don't have to actually use it. I switched back to my old launcher and I can still send sites to my PC (which is good because I really like the MIUI launcher).

(How would that even work without any sort of app installed on the phone?)

i understand some app is needed, but not a full launcher that also changed my background picture without asking and asks for a number of permissions like making calls :/

Akai__

This is the one with the GPU information in the Task Manager, right?

Also, did they finally add Apps to the Sound Mixer?

Izuna

Banned
So update is fine, a bit of annoyance about the way it killed display profiles but that's to be expected.

Practically, the explorer is a little uglier. That's it for me.

This is the one with the GPU information in the Task Manager, right?

Also, did they finally add Apps to the Sound Mixer?

Not yet, haven't seen myTube or Groove show up on the sound mixer yet. Wonder if they'll eventually replace the entire thing with a UWP equivalent.

Installed the update yesterday, love the QoL changes and the installation was the smoothest Windows 10 update I've had yet. Edge looks great, too!

Now I just need Groove music looking better to be content.

Peterthumpa

My work laptop had the Microsoft store pulled unceremoniously by the IT gods. Is there any chance this update will stick it back in? I only ask because as far as I can tell there's no way for me to get it back atm outside of a reinstall of windows.

Nope, the Store is usually removed via group policies. Even if you do reinstall it from scratch, as soon as your PC is joined to your company's domain, the policies will kick in back again.

ghostjoke

Banned
As I used this topic to vent my frustration at Windows, I'll be nice for a bit. Update had no issues. It didn't reinstall all the crap I uninstalled. All the new features are easily disabled. They finally added a "turn off ads" button to ads' right click. Animations seem smoother. It filled my one wish of nothing breaking anything. Well done, Microsoft.

Is anything actually using fluent design elements at this point?

I mean the general changes in UI that are part of the fluent design: more clicks, bulky text regardless of input/resolution, aesthetics over functionality.

Wollan

Do we have any proper in-depth reviews of Windows VR devices yet? Scanning the major sites (engadget, uploadVR, Wired etc.) I can't see any.

shockdude

you all realize the tearing in borderless fullscreen is the result of a legit Game Mode optimization that gives you the behavior and low latency of Exclusive Fullscreen with the easy alt-tab of Windowed, right?

That being said I have no idea whether in-game VSync alleviates that tearing without extra input lag or not.

XBlade

Neo Member
Damn!! The update reset almost all my settings for windows 10 and apps installed. It signed me out of everything like steam and chrome, and all my taskbars items got reset. I even had to relink my documents, downloads, etc. folders since i had them on another drive!! Im sure theres even more things it's done and i can't wait to find out...

Edit: So it seems it created a new user which is what it logged me into. my old one is still there but now theres a new folder with the same name as my old one but with .MYNAME after

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

Could be worse. I have terrible bandwidth here, so I'm going on 3 hours and it's at 5%. Meanwhile I'm barely able to do anything else online so I'm just wasting a whole lot of time.

Irminsul

I'm trying out the different types of on-screen keyboards. The one-hand one can be quite nice 😏 But seriously, I like Swype, so the keyboard is actually nice.

The handwriting keyboard definitely got the best updates, I can actually write with this thing now.

M3d10n

i understand some app is needed, but not a full launcher that also changed my background picture without asking and asks for a number of permissions like making calls :/
It did ask about the background picture, you probably just nextnextnext-ed it.

Even if it wasn't a launcher, it would need those permissions to be able to forward text and notifications about missed calls on the PC.

verbatimo

Ever since early summer, when I installed Creators update I'm having network issues and looking at forums etc. it seems other user have same problems.

Social

This piece of shit update had to break something critical for me of course... I have no more sound coming from my TV connected via HDMI. The bars move, it shows like it's all working fine, but no dice. I read there are currently problems with the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers and there is no fix... yikes.

Top Bottom