• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Exclusive D4 is selling like complete shit, please help me #SaveD4

What's up with people mentioning $5 and the game? Did they drop the price or something?

It's in the OP. The bottom part specifically.

Every action you do, even moving forward, drains stamina.

This is factually incorrect. You've been complaining about the stamina system a lot in the OT, but why go and outright lie about it?

Anyway, I'm afraid that this thread is backfiring - more than anything, it's turning into a playground for owners of other platforms to gush about an Xbox One exclusive not doing well and port beg. Boy, do gamers disgust me some most of the time.

Doffen

Haven't bought it yet, but I will before the end of the year.

I also really wish Microsoft could go and implant a gifting system on Xbox One.

Persona7

Banned
I still want to know if I can buy this game digitally without owning an XB1?

I tried to do so with the webstore earlier but it had fits and never loaded. Trying to use my 360 gamertag account to buy it, wonder if that's the problem

I think so, even if you only have a 360 account.

Try going to xbox.com and logging in then check your payment information. After that navigate to this page.

http://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-On...Dont-Die/6e82a9a6-b6a0-4c30-a50f-1e0ebafee8bc

What did they expect? Not only is it a Japanese XB1 exclusive but it also has unconventional gameplay, extremely weird characters and the reviews haven;t been outstanding either to help word of mouth.

EGM1966

Reading synopsis of the game it needs to be on PC and probably PS4.

I know unlikely OP and probably not a useful answer but demograhically the Xbox right now is probably the worst place for a game like this to succeed.

Still, nice to see a thread really trying to push some interest for what sounds an interesting game. Hopefully MS make some effort to market or promote the game more thoroughly which is best bet for title or having some or one of the more popular Youtubers push it.

Not trying to be inflammatory just realistic about chances for title reading you OP. It sounds exactly like a niche PC title that could do very well via Steam and GoG and a risky title for console never mind lowest install base only console.

I'd definitely play this if it was on PC sounds like it would go well with Ether One and Ethan Carter for starters.

It's a shame and a guess the double edged sword of the market right now. It's great MS is backing such a title at all of course but at the same time chances for the title are slim if they then don't really push it in the way Sony have pushed smaller titles on PS4. Maybe it's a bit if a victim of circumstance where MS feel they need to put all efforts behind FIFA and the like to grow install base and titles like this are being negatively impacted?

Anyway good luck. If I do get an Xbox I'd definitely try this and if MS allowed it to PC at least would also give it a try.

The difference is that so far they treat it like shit. Spencer knows about the lackluster or even nonexistent marketing for this game and I doubt any tweets will change his mind, this whole situation with D4 is really disappointing considering the "it's all about the games" image of Spencer the last few months.

The only chance this game has is by positive word of mouth and only that, it's pretty clear at this point that MS doesn't care about this game.

Yeah, it's pretty disappointing to see MS put absolutely no effort into marketing this. They really need to do something unique like the Destiny cologne. Something that really grabs people's attention...

from the video the guy posted.

You can use a controller, not sure why the OP only posted a video that shows Kinect controls. Although Kinect controls are how the game is meant to be played and for me at least, it's changed the way I expect these kinds of games in future.

What did they expect? Not only is it a Japanese XB1 exclusive but it also has unconventional gameplay, extremely weird characters and the reviews haven;t been outstanding either to help word of mouth.

What about the gameplay is unconventional? Are we living in a world where interactive story driven games don't exist?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
swery made his bed unfortunately. I guess he wants to make his games and MS had a chequebook open. But a niche game releasing episodically on a new platform with no marketing is going to have a difficult time getting traction. If he really had a deal that meant future episode production depends on sales then that is a bad deal IMO.

MS should have guaranteed funding to produce x number of episodes (eg like a season 1). Anything else is shitting on those consumers that did buy in and putting off those that otherwise might.

fedexpeon

Banned
I read some of his Twitter posts...man, I feel bad with how he needs to promote his game since MS won't do it.

10k WW sales...even the most niche-ish of Vita game would sell better than 10k. Heck, I think 1990s VN games on Steam sell better.
But what did they expect anyway? The audience is different on XB.
They should release it on PC to recoup the development cost.

RobertM

Only Pewdiepie can save this game now, no effort on our part will make this a million seller. I wonder how he picks games and whether he can be influenced somehow.

Persona7

Banned
swery made his bed unfortunately. I guess he wants to make his games and MS had a chequebook open. But a niche game releasing episodically on a new platform with no marketing is going to have a difficult time getting traction. If he really had a deal that meant future episode production depends on sales then that is a bad deal IMO.

MS should have guaranteed funding to produce x number of episodes (eg like a season 1). Anything else is shitting on those consumers that did buy in and putting off those that otherwise might.

Season one is what you get for 15 dollars.

Only Pewdiepie can save this game now, no effort on our part will make this a million seller. I wonder how he picks games and whether he can be influenced somehow.

He picks what he likes to play or when his fans have either voted or recommended him something in the boatload.

Doffen

Only Pewdiepie can save this game now,

Yeah...

9v0JEoF.png

If we're going to rely on popular YouTubers to spread word of mouth, can we at least have Rooster Teeth's Let's Play channel do it instead of Pewdiepie? :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

This is factually incorrect. You've been complaining about the stamina system a lot in the OT, but why go and outright lie about it?

Anyway, I'm afraid that this thread is backfiring - more than anything, it's turning into a playground for owners of other platforms to gush about an Xbox One exclusive not doing well and port beg. Boy, do gamers disgust me some most of the time.
Wait... you want Swery fans to *not show support*? I don't own an Xbox One, so I'm sure as hell going to lament not being able to play his next game.

If/when I get an Xbone I will get this.. It isn't going to be for a while:(

It sucks, multiplatform would have been far better IMO.
this isn't a port beg, but sales would have been far better this way:(

I suppose they did, we got the first two episodes and the prologue, they're referring to it as Season 1. The second episode does end on a cliffhanger, but that's not uncommon even in other media (the ending to the second season of 24 immediately comes to mind). I feel like it provides a decently rounded mini-arc, even if it all ends with more questions than answers.

That's not the problem, the complete lack of marketing is. Simply putting a game tile in the Store section just won't do.

rrc1594

Wait... you want Swery fans to *not show support*? I don't own an Xbox One, so I'm sure as hell going to lament not being able to play his next game.

Their is showing support and their's saying things like " Should of went Sony" or " that what happens when your X1 exclusive". Is that really showing support?

Kysen

Japanese developers need to stop running to MS for funding and signing up exclusivity. The user base isn't there and hasn't been since the 360 JRPG rush collapsed. This will be on GwG soon. Asking people to put down money for an incomplete game(season pass) that even the OP acknowledges isn't in active development is a bad idea.

Japanese developers need to stop running to MS for funding and signing up exclusivity. The user base isn't there and hasn't been since the 360 JRPG rush collapsed. This will be on GwG soon. Asking people to put down money for an incomplete game(season pass) that even the OP acknowledges isn't in active development is a bad idea.

1. Who should they have gone to? Sony? Consoles don't sell too well in Japan anymore and the primary market for Swery's games is international. Maybe they could have released it on iOS / 3DS if they wanted Japanese people to play it.
2. The game is $15. More episodes are going to cost more money - this $15 doesn't entitle you to "season 2". It's a complete purchase in that sense.

Japanese developers need to stop running to MS for funding and signing up exclusivity.

That's not how it works. You are either contacted by Microsoft (which is what I'm presuming is what happened here) or you run out to a bunch of publishers, and go with the one that offers you the best deal.

Asking people to put down money for an incomplete game(season pass) that even the OP acknowledges isn't in active development is a bad idea.

$15 is not for the season pass, i.e. it does not include episodes that are yet to be developed and published. It's for what you are getting now and nothing more, and that is being referred to as Season 1 at the Xbox store. It's also worth every penny, and then some.

EDIT: Beaten by a mod, no less.

GVA1987

I've been seriously looking at this game but waiting til payday for it. My gamertag is GVA1987. I'll try pick it up sometime this week. Feel free to add me there guys I always love more people to play with.

I don't see many examples of people being happy an Xbox exclusive is doing poorly. But the reality is that it's a niche game from a quirky developer on a console that doesn't have much of a market for Japanese games. It would probably perform better on either or both the PC and PS4.

Japanese developers releasing games exclusively on Microsoft consoles, when will they learn??

They weren't forced to accept Microsoft's moneyhat, so they've made 10,000 x cost of the game + moneyhat, which was a gamble they chose to make.

jgminto

People really need to stop port begging. The game wouldn't have been made on another console and if it was it would probably be a completely different game.

I'm not lying about it. Everything I did drained stamina. The game doesn't explain things well and it has a lot of faults. It is one of the reasons it isn't selling well.

Do you think the stamina system is good and encourages exploration or do you just put up with it for the sake of the game?

I don't see many examples of people being happy an Xbox exclusive is doing poorly. But the reality is that it's a niche game from a quirky developer on a console that doesn't have much of a market for Japanese games. It would probably perform better on either or both the PC and PS4.

it probably would, you dont see westerners buying a xbox for japanese games not after the abadonment of j games from xbox early last gen (I got a 360 for those j games and that annoyed the hell out of me, and i'm sure many others).
That being said I've bought D4 already, havent really played it much though yet.

I'm not lying about it. Everything I did drained stamina. The game doesn't explain things well and it has a lot of faults. It is one of the reasons it isn't selling well.

Do you think the stamina system is good and encourages exploration or do you just put up with it for the sake of the game?

I really liked the stamina system. It adds a sense of risk/reward to the gameplay that nearly games in the same genre completely forget about.

There are also ways to cope with the system that make perfect sense. Leaving a jump to get a free meal with Kayson, buying rabbit's feet from Amanda, exploring the environment for chips or simply talking to the cat that's in every single jump so you can buy some food.

jgminto

Grabbing things for the first time and talking are the only things that drain stamina. Walking and pushing doesn't drain stamina and I think if you talk to somebody you've already talk to it doesn't drain stamina either. I've returned from a dive with around 3 stamina almost every time and have never run out before eating with Forrest.

And I think the stamina system is a good method for encouraging the player to return home as they'd miss a tonne of stuff if they didn't have to.

abadguy

Banned
a quirky Japanese game selling poorly?

tell me more

FTFY. Also how does one even go about advertising a game like this? Asked this once before but usually don't games like this tend to get more popular through word of mouth?

Japanese developers releasing games exclusively on Microsoft consoles, when will they learn??

They weren't forced to accept Microsoft's moneyhat, so they've made 10,000 x cost of the game + moneyhat, which was a gamble they chose to make.

"Forced to except a moneyhat"? The hell does this even mean? Take the console war shit somewhere else.

Grabbing things for the first time and talking are the only things that drain stamina. Walking and pushing doesn't drain stamina and I think if you talk to somebody you've already talk to it doesn't drain stamina either. I've returned from a dive with around 3 stamina almost every time and have never run out before eating with Forrest.

And I think the stamina system is a good method for encouraging the player to return home as they'd miss a tonne of stuff if they didn't have to.

Yeah, the conversations with Kayson really do make going home for a meal worth it.

It's also worth noting that some clothing helps to boost your stamina/vision meters.

Top Bottom