• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think Hal Laboratory has to take the next step with Kirby

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I think Kirby is perfect the way it is. It is an absolute gateway game. My daughter and her friends started with it very small and I've seen the same with other kids in her Pre-K and K classes.

The basic Kirby should never go anywhere.

3D would be fun, though I think they would be fine continuing in 2D and eliminating the "world map" style. Just make the whole game world interconnected and add a bunch of cool collectibles. Kirby Switch has power combinations, so that alone is huge for me.

Basically, make the Great Cave Offensive into a whole Kirby game.

The Boat

I kinda felt that with Deluxe after Dreamland, but since the game was good and there are plenty of spin-offs I didn't mind. I thought I was going to feel that with Robobot, but instead, I got the best Kirby game

There is an evolution of the mechanics, but as I said I don't think that is enough to keep the games interesting enough. There have been just too many in a short time and they don't feel different at all even if we can point out some refinement in its core mechanics.

I wonder if you have read the first post or just the title. I've proposed several ideas that could make a traditional game feel fresh and any of them is going full 3D.
I read your OP. I just don't agree with you. The games are quite interesting as is, and they continue to add new elements and build upon existing elements.

Capra

A hard mode?

I really love Kirby and the series is charming as hell, but honestly I've never been able to get past how braindead-easy each entry I played past Adventure felt. It always feels like the mainline games have such fully-realized mechanics with varied movesets for each power and in the end if you want any semblance of challenge you need to ignore all that and fight by regurgitating stars... Which kind of sucks the fun out of it.

Kirby's definitely an entry-tier sidescroller and the default difficulty can still be forgiving, but having something more challenging unlocked off the bat would be nice.

I think I just invoked the inverse-"Dark Souls easy mode" argument.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
· Kirby Returns to Dreamland introduced ability-based challenges that showed an amazing level design and some arcade touch, with a clever score system and some good difficulty. If the games had followed that trail designing the core levels like that and maintaining the score system, maybe I would be more interested, so I think that is something that could be easily done. Something like the Jungle Beat of Kirbys
stevencolbert_giveittome.gif

Honestly, Jungle Beat should have been the catalyst for platformers at large to start integrating score/combo mechanics that actively encouraged and acknowledged a secondary tier of high-level play. Instead we're still just trucking along with score counters as totally inconsequential metrics that the games completely ignore, and the standard 'play well and you'll get more lives!' non-reward.

Short of that, I very much agree that a voluntary hard mode for Kirby would go a long way towards helping legitimize the series a bit more with the core audience. Fire Emblem has seen its audience grow in part because it lifted the forced permadeath monkey off it's back, I imagine Kirby doing something similar (in reverse) would yield a similar expansion of interest. I like Kirby, but yeah, the games often feel insultingly easy.

woopWOOP

I understand the complaints, but last few Kirby games all had those unique elements that are different enough for me to still get excited about whatever new idea they cooked up and implemented in the usual 2D platformer engine.

I'd be down for a more 3Dish entry tho, maybe as another one of those spinoffs.

Berordn

The Switch game seems to be playing it a little safe after Robobot admittedly, but that game had so many surprising elements that it's hard for me to say I wouldn't be content with more of the same.

I agree with the comments about RtDL's ability trials. They had even more in Kirby's Dream Collection, including Smash and Gourmet Race style challenges. I don't know if I'd want the whole game to be the minutelong stages, but keeping the score mechanic would add a lot to replay.

What is really a spinoff for Kirby? It seems the games change from copy abilities to weird stuff every other game.

I've only played Super Star so I don't have much to say. When I saw the trailer for the Switch game aside from the ability mixing it didn't grab me. I'm not sure if it was because it was so brief and they didn't show any level design or if it looked too much like Super Star. I agree that it would be cool to have a full game based on The Great Cave Offensive. That was the best part of Super Star.

I'll echo wanting to see a 3D entry. All of their other big franchises have gotten a 3d games so I think it's weird Kirby hasn't, but maybe it's because Kirby is just semi-popular.
Kirby goes on an adventure to find the lost flan of escargo

Boy, you silly.

I agree that despite the charm of the series it has definitely felt like they could do a lot more with it.

A Pokémon game with even half the ambition of Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey would be a day one purchase for me.

Not to hijack the thread, but after BotW and Mario Odyssey, I'd love to see the entirety of Nintendo's output feel as fresh and expansive in scope/ambition as these two games feel.

Kirby would be fantastic using the 3D Land format. If the levels and movement for Kirby used that type of game as a template, Kirby in 3D would be stellar.

El Odio

Banned
I understand the complaints, but last few Kirby games all had those unique elements that are different enough for me to still get excited about whatever new idea they cooked up and implemented in the usual 2D platformer engine.

Yeah, RTD, 3D and PR all follow a similar formula but they managed to noticeably build on it that it never really bothered me. RTD started it with the super abilities that pretty cool until you realize later on that theres nothing really to them other than a button press. 3D expanded on that with hyper nova which brought puzzles to those sections while robobot basically made it the whole game.

I'm hoping the ability mixing isn't all there is to the new one and that they don't just pull the basic element stuff from squeak squad or copy paste everything from K64.

Ohhh yeah yeah yeah, for sure. I think the moment I played it, I had that sense of familiarity in the back of my mind.

You know it's funny, there are so many cancelled Kirby GC prototypes. I think we all assumed it became Return to Dream Land and that was that, but both Planet Robobot (in that minigame) and even the Kirby Switch game with its co-op seem like ways to salvage some of its unused ideas.

They worked on that one for over 6 years, I think its pretty smart that ideas surrounding its development are still being used.

I would prefer to keep gameplay simple and level design the same depth. Kirby is such a great game for the kids and while I've had zero complaints toward any of the games, I do think a 3D Kirby is ready to come out. Adapting the same tried and true gameplay to 3D without stepping on the turf of Mario would be a decent challenge for the devs.

Every new Kirby just feels like they're pushing the quality further and further, so it's only really a matter of time I believe.

Hilarion

I loved Planet Robobot, Triple Deluxe, and Return to Dreamland, and I'll love this game. I see no reason to change anything, from my perspective.

Kangi

Let them continue the quality increase from RtDL -> 3D -> PR -> Switch and beyond, until Kirby reaches gaming perfection.

I will never get sick of these excellent Kirby games they've been putting out consistently for years, but it would be cool if they went for something totally different or tried a full 3D adventure.

BooJoh

I thought Planet Robobot was amazing, and the best game in the franchise.

Triple Deluxe had a much more boring gimmick that amounted to the Giant Mushroom in NSMB, but generally I feel like the series is doing well. You know what you're going to get as the core gameplay, but there will always be a new gimmick. I'm looking forward to charming enemies to my side in the new game.

I really disagree with the general idea that every series has to occasionally reinvent itself, and I outright object to the idea that every series needs to eventually "make the jump to 3d" because 3d gameplay is not inherently better than 2d gameplay.

I agree 100%. When Kirby Switch showed up in the spotlight, all I could do is shake my head sadly. Kirby has basically become NSMB where every game looks and plays the same. They are still great games, didn't play RTDL but played Triple/Robobot and both great games, but the gameplay changes like robot powers or the upcoming enemy capture in Kirby Switch just aren't enough. It just brings the franchise down, especially since they are like 2-3 years apart now. They need to do a completely frash take on Kirby 2d, or do Kirby 3d or just something different for awhile. The spinoffs like Rainbow Curse aren't enough when theres still so many "traditional" Kirby games so close together that all look the same.

I see no reason why a 2d&3d Kirby can't exist?? Them making a 3d won't erase 2d kirbys
Since that seems to be the pushback for some ppl in here that 2d ones are perfect

Red Devil

Since Kirby Returns to Dreamland all the entries in the Kirby series have been iterations of the same formula. In five years we've received Kirby Returns to Dreamland, Kirby Triple Deluxe, Kirby Planet Robobot, and now the new Kirby for Switch. And, let me get this straight, I think that they are games that feel way too similar. I find it hard to be excited for a new one, because it is like if I had already played it.

Except that's incorrect as I'll have to agree with this poster:

This is more notable with Planet Robobot.

Also people, not every series needs "to go BotW-like".

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I've been increasingly enjoying each mainline Kirby game HAL has made since RTDL (PR > TD > RTDL), so I have faith that I'll enjoy the Switch Kirby game. That said, I agree that mainline Kirby could use a refresh, and I was a bit disappointed to see the Switch Kirby game playing it so safe (but still using ideas I'm really excited about). I'd really like the next game to be a shakeup. I'd love to see a 3D game or some kind of transformative new mechanic introduced rather than the secondary mechanic approach they've been taking (though PR's secondary mechanic was the best and most impactful one they've introduced so far, in my opinion).

I'm also curious what the 2017 3DS Kirby game that is still unrevealed will be. I know they've been describing it in ways that tell me it's a spinoff, but it will be the next Kirby game and could reflect the direction the series could take. I fear it's going to be a very safe spinoff heavily inspired by the side modes/games they've released on 3DS.

I think Kirby is perfect the way it is. It is an absolute gateway game. My daughter and her friends started with it very small and I've seen the same with other kids in her Pre-K and K classes.

The basic Kirby should never go anywhere.

no you see kirby is just too ezpz and should clearly look towards open worlds and dark souls for inspiration

zenspider

OP makes a really good point, and it's crazy to think Kirby has probably had the most experiments with mechanics than any other franchise in gaming, yet really does unevolved.

I also agree with posters that Yoshi has become like this as well. It's a shame because Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is among the best in the genre, and N64's Yoshi's Story was unique and challenging as well.

It's a shame to see Zelda and Mario (and hopefully Metroid) find inspiration from the past to reinvgorate their franchises, Yoshi and Kirby's latest showings look tepid and disappointing in comaprison.

Will probably play both anyway.

I would agree but we really only saw like, the boiler plate tree boss that is a given in all Kirbys and nothing of the later stuff, which especially in Crystal Shards I found to be actually quite engaging. It's also quite far from release and Nintendo seems to do the bulk of a game in like 9 months these days so we'll see. Just having a Kirby game in 1080p makes me happy, lol. Did not play Robobot but if people really think its better than 64, it's probably really good.

I made the mistake of playing robobot right after triple deluxe and it just felt like I was playing the same thing but with a few changes. If they stay 2d maybe take the ancient cave idea from super, expand it and add some rpg elements and metroidvania stuff.

Edit: lol right in the op. But yeah would love this.

I think the gameplay is fine the way it is, however maybe a story mode with some depth to it? It just feels so shallow without any kind of real substance.

I think the gameplay is fine the way it is, however maybe a story mode with some depth to it? It just feels so shallow without any kind of real substance.
Milky Way Wishes? Crystal Shards? Planet Robobot? Like, they're not deep deep, but I feel like they put a little more effort than most games aimed at its demographic do with regards to story. Even Kirby's Adventure put a little effort into closing the game nicely with some exposition, which wasn't super common for NES games.

jnWake

People can play the same franchise in 3D time and time again but god forbid a 2D franchise doesn't widly change its mechanics.

Kirby's fine in 2D. Its mechanics are already pretty unique and the games are fun. There's a lot of creativity in the movesets of the transformations and the battles tend to be pretty good. I wouldn't object a bit of a raise in difficulty that forced you to use the abilities of transformations more though. I use them because it's fun to do so but it'd be nice if the game was more balanced towards that.

Besides, I'm not sure how easily Kirby translates to 3D. One of his signature powers, the ability to fly, completely breaks 3D level design much more than 2D one.

BooJoh

You're right, Kirby needs a gun.

N5TGuDV.png

Top Bottom