• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal |OT| Don't Eat. Don't Sleep. Play

Holy cow! Just learned and did the specials with Roadkill and Death Warrant! Why would you ever want to use their weak, similar primaries? Blood missiles are awesome, but I have a question: Why choose Death Warrant when Roadkill has everything Death Warrant has? Mines + Zoomy missiles + Blood Missiles compared to just Zoomy Missiles?

How do their stats compare?

Edit: D.W seems to have 20+ hit points, is he also faster and better to control by any chance?

Helscream

Banned
EDIT: How the hell do you have so much time played Helscream, I can't seem to stay in a game =/ of course i just join a game and now im stuck on "SYNCHRONIZING GAME" for the past five minutes.

Well you really just have to bang your head against the wall before you can finally get into a game. I noticed when I first boot up Twisted Metal the matchmaking is fine, but after a while it will become more difficult to join without getting a matchmaking error. I normally search by "Game State" with the filter. And always try to join a room that has 5-6 players that is in the "Game Room" state. If it says that it means the game has not started and players are still waiting in the lobby. If you try to join a room with more players you might fall victim to trying to join a room that fills up fast. It will say there is a matchmaking error but really the room is full. I wish I could tell you I have some kind of secret, but really its just an absurd amount of effort on my end to try and enter a room. And if you do successfully join a room and complete a match. Be sure to leave after the match is over and find another room to join. Because you will get disconnected if you attempt to try and play more than one match in the same lobby.

I have a feeling you weren't doing it right, because Roadkill's Secondary Special can hit for up to 100 damage, which is up there with the most damaging specials in the game.

I'm not a big fan of Roadkill in this game either (usually my go-to vehicle in other TMs), but trash? lol no way. I think Death Warrant is worse - neither special is damaging enough. In a situation where you're low on health and higher base health isn't a factor, a damaging special like Roadkill's secondary is key to survival (or at least getting a bigger assist reward).

Well I actually like using roadkill. The only issue with his special is trying to make all those bullets/blood missiles connect. Maps like Diesel don't work well with Roadkill because of the terrain. Stuff like Black rock Stadium or Sun springs is nice and flat. So you have plenty of room to make your special connect on your target. And Roadkill's special is devastating against a Talon or Sweet Bot player. Unless they shield or break line of sight they will get a serious pounding.

I wanted to make some extra comments on Juggernaut. I was wondering if you could place Juggernaut on a high perch and have the vehicle hang right on the edge would that make the players using the turrets much more effective? This is a idea I have that I would like to try later when I finish eating.

For the mines, you press triangle to get the alt special selected, then press down on the dpad to pull them up. You can press R2 do drop them. You press it once and they will all drop off one at a time. Each one does 25 damage.
You can activate the mines regardless of which special you have selected.

I think I'm going to give up on Roadkill though. Really want to like him but the blood missiles are too weak especially when there's so many corners for the enemy to take cover with. I almost gave up on Road Boat and Warthog and I love those two now, but Roadkill is really really inefficient for me.

Liberty4all

Banned
Well you really just have to bang your head against the wall before you can finally get into a game. I noticed when I first boot up Twisted Metal the matchmaking is fine, but after a while it will become more difficult to join without getting a matchmaking error. I normally search by "Game State" with the filter. And always try to join a room that has 5-6 players that is in the "Game Room" state. If it says that it means the game has not started and players are still waiting in the lobby. If you try to join a room with more players you might fall victim to trying to join a room that fills up fast. It will say there is a matchmaking error but really the room is full. I wish I could tell you I have some kind of secret, but really its just an absurd amount of effort on my end to try and enter a room. And if you do successfully join a room and complete a match. Be sure to leave after the match is over and find another room to join. Because you will get disconnected if you attempt to try and play more than one match in the same lobby. .

Exact method I have been using too. Sucks though as it makes it impossible to stay with Clan members for more than 1 match

Holy cow! Just learned and did the specials with Roadkill and Death Warrant! Why would you ever want to use their weak, similar primaries? Blood missiles are awesome, but I have a question: Why choose Death Warrant when Roadkill has everything Death Warrant has? Mines + Zoomy missiles + Blood Missiles compared to just Zoomy Missiles?

How do their stats compare?

Edit: D.W seems to have 20+ hit points, is he also faster and better to control by any chance?
Death Warrant has 180 hp opposed to Roadkill's 160. Death Warrant is also faster and easier to control plus his alt special lasts longer and recharges considerably faster (I believe Death Warrants gains a special every 15 seconds and Roadkill gains a special every 30 seconds).

10dollas

Banned
Hell scream if what u mean by that is having the tractor dangle off the edge while the trailer sits firm on the ledge, then no you really can't do it. Juggernaut will get stuck and respawn automatically elsewhere. If you mean having both the tractor and the trailer firm on the edge, then I'm not sure how effective that actually is. But you would be very vulnerable to snipers.

Helscream

Banned
Hell scream if what u mean by that is having the tractor dangle off the edge while the trailer sits firm on the ledge, then no you really can't do it. Juggernaut will get stuck and respawn automatically elsewhere. If you mean having both the tractor and the trailer firm on the edge, then I'm not sure how effective that actually is. But you would be very vulnerable to snipers.

What I am talking about is giving the turrets the best placement to do the most damage. Staying alive is the drivers job which I will take care of that part. My idea is to position Juggernaut so both turrets can turn 90 degree's to the left or the right. And then unload on everything that is below. If I start taking fire I just have to back up a little bit to break line of sight.

I wanted to make some extra comments on Juggernaut. I was wondering if you could place Juggernaut on a high perch and have the vehicle hang right on the edge would that make the players using the turrets much more effective? This is a idea I have that I would like to try later when I finish eating.
Sounds like easy sniping.

So since I just had my 3rd crash in 3 hours I guess I'll comment about Juggernaut and teamwork in general.

First Off the Clan system is really disjointed. You are always separated from your teammates. And it does not seem like you can change teams at all in ranked games. So how could you really have a competitive game with someone if you cannot even get on the same team ever? Anyone who wants to have a clan battle is shit outta luck I guess.

After all the hard work I have put into unlocking Juggernaut I can even manage to get two of my clan mates on the same team as I. If they do it is by sheer luck/chance. And If Juggernaut is as difficult as BHK3 has stated then it really seems like Juggernaut is just a big distraction. On top of difficult maneuverability it is difficult to stay honed onto someone so the people in the Turret can get a good shot off.

Overall I am really pist with not being able to group up with clan mates. Because honestly there is no reason to be in a clan if you just get separated and cannot team up.
Clans aren't meant to play in ranked servers since that would upset the balance. If you go to unranked you are allowed to manually pick which team you are on so you can set up clan matches, plus you have a whole bunch of advanced settings to tweak. I'm upset that ESP decided to treat parties no differently than a random bunch of players in ranked matches as well, but I totally understand it from the balance perspective.

Helscream

Banned
Clans aren't meant to play in ranked servers since that would upset the balance. If you go to unranked you are allowed to manually pick which team you are on so you can set up clan matches, plus you have a whole bunch of advanced settings to tweak. I'm upset that ESP decided to treat parties no differently than a random bunch of players in ranked matches as well, but I totally understand it from the balance perspective.

Yea but a player can simply leave if they do not feel like going up against an entire team of clan members. This is not match-making where you are thrown into a random room. You have the luxury of picking and choosing what lobby you want to enter. And if you don't want to participate in that lobby you are not penalized for leaving. Unlocking vehicles like Roadboat, Junkyard Dog, Talon, and Juggernaut seems kind of pointless if you cannot get your teammates on the same side to exploit the strength of those vehicles. No one is being forced to stay in a lobby and the player can leave at any moment without penalty.

Jaffe himself constantly tried to explain all the depth that was put into this game and that you can develop complex strategies with your teammates. If unranked was the only place you can actually have a clan battle then why have a ranking system period? Why talk about having limited number of certain vehicles in ranked games when you cannot team up in ranked games? Why have that limit when you can blow that shit all away with unranked? What is the point of that limit in ranked if you cannot get your clan mates on the same team? That itself defeats the purpose of setting those limitations. How in the hell could I ever exploit the strength of Juggernaut with a bunch of random people who do not have a microphone? How the hell can I develop a strategy with clan mates if we can never get on the same team?

If clans are not meant to play in ranked games then I don't see the whole point in having ranked games. I just don't see the reason for having ranked games if its there just to unlock stuff that you could automatically used in unranked. If you cannot team up with a buddy or clan mate then ranked is pointless.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Yea but a player can simply leave if they do not feel like going up against an entire team of clan members. This is not match-making where you are thrown into a random room. You have the luxury of picking and choosing what lobby you want to enter. And if you don't want to participate in that lobby you are not penalized for leaving. Unlocking vehicles like Roadboat, Junkyard Dog, Talon, and Juggernaut seems kind of pointless if you cannot get your teammates on the same side to exploit the strength of those vehicles. No one is being forced to stay in a lobby and the player can leave at any moment without penalty.

Jaffe himself constantly tried to explain all the depth that was put into this game and that you can develop complex strategies with your teammates. If unranked was the only place you can actually have a clan battle then why have a ranking system period? Why talk about having limited number of certain vehicles in ranked games when you cannot team up in ranked games? Why have that limit when you can blow that shit all away with unranked? What is the point of that limit in ranked if you cannot get your clan mates on the same team? That itself defeats the purpose of setting those limitations. How in the hell could I ever exploit the strength of Juggernaut with a bunch of random people who do not have a microphone? How the hell can I develop a strategy with clan mates if we can never get on the same team?

If clans are not meant to play in ranked games then I don't see the whole point in having ranked games. I just don't see the reason for having ranked games if its there just to unlock stuff that you could automatically used in unranked. If you cannot team up with a buddy or clan mate then ranked is pointless.

There should be a mercenaries type mode where you can not have a party nor can anyone else (if you are worried about clan stacking). I agree that the ranking system seems like a grind when you can't join lobbies easily, stay in those lobbies easily, auto start the games, and team up with clanmates.

Even if there will never be a mercenaries type mode, the game should recognize clanmates and try to keep them together while also trying to keep the match balanced. If there are three clanmates, keep them together and give them the worse other teammates if the game feels the clan are superior players.

It should not be so picky that the reason I am on the other team is because I am a skill level 85 and the guy that gets paired up with my buddies is a 83 to "even" out the game. A party system or party balance would also greatly add to teamwork/communicate in this game. I know PS3 users arn't as frequent to have mics as 360 users are but communicate is non existant in this game.

Helscream

Banned
There should be a mercenaries type mode where you can not have a party nor can anyone else (if you are worried about clan stacking). I agree that the ranking system seems like a grind when you can't join lobbies easily, stay in those lobbies easily, auto start the games, and team up with clanmates.

Even if there will never be a mercenaries type mode, the game should recognize clanmates and try to keep them together while also trying to keep the match balanced. If there are three clanmates, keep them together and give them the worse other teammates if the game feels the clan are superior players.

It should not be so picky that the reason I am on the other team is because I am a skill level 85 and the guy that gets paired up with my buddies is a 83 to "even" out the game. A party system or party balance would also greatly add to teamwork/communicate in this game. I know PS3 users arn't as frequent to have mics as 360 users are but communicate is non existant in this game.

And this is what frustrates me the most. I don't really find great teamwork/communcation outside of a clan or someone on my friends list.

Is there some trick to lifting cars with Talon on the final boss? I got one off and did like 2000 damage, but then the next 3 times I tried, the cars would just drop back down as I was lifting back up with them. Sucks that you have to start all the way over if you die on the last phase.

Anyone know how many hits it takes on Twisted to defeat that last phase? The part where you drop cars into the head is the last phase, yes?

How the fuck are you supposed to party up with friends in this game? No invites, no party chat? Am I supposed to text my friend the name of a room and have him search the server?

Oh, select.... But I still can't hear anyone?

remist

How the fuck are you supposed to party up with friends in this game? No invites, no party chat? Am I supposed to text my friend the name of a room and have him search the server?

Press select at the main menu or the server browser and it brings up the party system. Also, there is a friend and a clan tab on the server browser that allows you to join your friends games.

You can limit the number of specific vehicles in unranked games too.

Slurmer

Banned
Is there some trick to lifting cars with Talon on the final boss? I got one off and did like 2000 damage, but then the next 3 times I tried, the cars would just drop back down as I was lifting back up with them. Sucks that you have to start all the way over if you die on the last phase.

Anyone know how many hits it takes on Twisted to defeat that last phase? The part where you drop cars into the head is the last phase, yes?

I didnt do this at all...

You can limit the number of specific vehicles in unranked games too.
The problem is that I don't think most hosts realize that these options are in there. How many of the hosts have actually accessed those advanced options? How many of them actually care to limit or restrict the vehicles like Juggernaut in the first place? There's no guarantee of what you'll be getting when you hop into a random unranked game.

Slurmer

Banned
What did you do? I read you can whittle his health down with regular attacks but it takes forever. Do tell.

That's what I did, whittled down his health with missiles and regular special mostly. Didn't feel like it took too long. Was the easiest section of the final mission for me.

The problem is that I don't think most hosts realize that these options are in there. How many of the hosts have actually accessed those advanced options? How many of them actually care to limit or restrict the vehicles like Juggernaut in the first place? There's no guarantee of what you'll be getting when you hop into a random unranked game.
I thought the point was if we're discussing clan matches or simply playing with your friends against randoms. In either of those cases would you create the server instead of joining some host's server who doesn't always know what he's doing?

Apparently Talon isn't limited in Team Deathmatch. What? If an enemy team has 2 Talons pumping Tri-guns and Mega Guns + Missiles into you simultaneously there's nothing you can do. Even if you kill them multiple times, they come back and kill you just the same 10 seconds later.

Valnen

Apparently Talon isn't limited in Team Deathmatch. What? If an enemy team has 2 Talons pumping Tri-guns and Mega Guns + Missiles into you simultaneously there's nothing you can do. Even if you kill them multiple times, they come back and kill you just the same 10 seconds later.

You can look up with the right stick and shoot them. You can freeze them out of the sky. They have the worst health. And if it's a team game they should die pretty quickly if people know what they're doing?

You can look up with the right stick and shoot them. You can freeze them out of the sky. They have the worst health. And if it's a team game they should die pretty quickly if people know what they're doing?
I have no problem with Talon. Obviously you only have to have a couple teammates pump some homing missiles into them, and they go down quick, but they get so much damage off in that time, especially if they know how to shield (which isn't hard).

BHK3

Banned
lolwut

I have a feeling you weren't doing it right, because Roadkill's Secondary Special can hit for up to 100 damage, which is up there with the most damaging specials in the game.

I'm not a big fan of Roadkill in this game either (usually my go-to vehicle in other TMs), but trash? lol no way. I think Death Warrant is worse - neither special is damaging enough. In a situation where you're low on health and higher base health isn't a factor, a damaging special like Roadkill's secondary is key to survival (or at least getting a bigger assist reward).

When do you ever have time to charge up the missles to level 3 and have every single one land while you're going 150 sanics per hour trying to survive?

His armour should be the same as road boats, they're literally driving the same car minus the thing on the hood.

When do you ever have time to charge up the missles to level 3 and have every single one land while you're going 150 sanics per hour trying to survive?

His armour should be the same as road boats, they're literally driving the same car minus the thing on the hood.
I definitely agree Roadkill needs more health. His special requires a lot of timing, you have to predict that you're going to come in close distance to a target 10 seconds ahead of time.

Tokubetsu

Talon actually has 30 more hit points than the weakest vehicle.

Which is stupid IMO. Like I said earlier in the thread, they should have the same amount as Reaper. I'm still not sure if that would even balance it. Talon still has more mobility than Reaper and a much harder target to spot/pursue.

EDIT: Just had a really good game. I was calm and collected for the whole thing. Was the beast player on my team (6-4) and we won it 22-21. The last kill came with 6 seconds left in the match haha. Using meat wagon. My only strategy is basically to go around the map, collecting shit, pray I don't run into 2 or more goons at a time and just try to survive.

Helscream

Banned
Which is stupid IMO. Like I said earlier in the thread, they should have the same amount as Reaper. I'm still not sure if that would even balance it. Talon still has more mobility than Reaper and a much harder target to spot/pursue.

I will say that 1 v 1 Reaper can hold its ground. But in a packed room Reaper is easy prey. The only time I bring reaper out is when playing a game mode like nuke/hunted. Not only can Reaper sacrifice real fast, but can make quick work of the player trying to sacrifice the faction leader. But I do feel that Reaper is really vulnerable most of the time. I think you really have to use a hit and run tactic. Because you don't have he hitpoints to stay in the fight. I "think" in the ideal match with teammates you have a Reaper player who hides within the pack of other players. So Bigger vehicles like Darkside/Warthog get all the attention while Reaper takes them out with the special from the other direction.

Like for example Player 1 uses RoadBoat Magnet special to hold a enemy player in place while Player 2 using Reaper to land a flaming Chainsaw on the enemy Roadboat is holding in place.

All the TDMs I've got into recently have been the opposing team all huddling up together and waiting for one of us to try and kill them and then they gang bang the fool. Never can get my team to make an organized attacked.

Tokubetsu

I will say that 1 v 1 Reaper can hold its ground. But in a packed room Reaper is easy prey. The only time I bring reaper out is when playing a game mode like nuke/hunted. Not only can Reaper sacrifice real fast, but can make quick work of the player trying to sacrifice the faction leader. But I do feel that Reaper is really vulnerable most of the time. I think you really have to use a hit and run tactic. Because you don't have he hitpoints to stay in the fight. I "think" in the ideal match with teammates you have a Reaper player who hides within the pack of other players. So Bigger vehicles like Darkside/Warthog get all the attention while Reaper takes them out with the special from the other direction.

Like for example Player 1 uses RoadBoat Magnet special to hold a enemy player in place while Player 2 using Reaper to land a flaming Chainsaw on the enemy Roadboat is holding in place.

Yea, it's definitely a really specialized vehicle. That co-ordination is gonna take a mic for sure.

Helscream

Banned
Yea, it's definitely a really specialized vehicle. That co-ordination is gonna take a mic for sure.

Yea it really does lol. I managed to team up with BHK3 and Yagya last night. We had a 3on3 TDM and they bothered to switched over and picked Axel and would try to Warwheel players I put the magnet on. That strategy takes good timing, but we creamed those other players. Like cool whip cream. It was delicious.

EDIT: By the way just to let everyone know. I hit rank 30 a few hours ago. So I am done with grinding and such. So feel free to send me a party invitation to join you. I am done with ranking up and I am most definitely ready for some serious team work. Whether it be ranked/unranked.

BurningNad

Just had an amazing game of Nuke... started out being outnumbered 5 to 4 and I guess people left... but everyone was playing deathmatch it seemed. I got the last point during overtime with a sliver of health left. My blood has turned to pure adrenaline. Whew.

t7KeI.jpg

Did some testing with Roadkill. It's special can only do a maximum of 97.6 damage. It takes roughly 4 seconds to charge and needs to be held steady for 5 seconds to get full damage and takes 30 seconds to recharge. Eh.

Cudder

How do severe online network issues like this even happen? Do they test the game internally on completely different servers before it ships or what?

I don't even have the game, but it's kind of heartbreaking that this seems to be happening with a developer such as Jaffe, who's always so giving and vocal with the community/fans.

BHK3

Banned
NO
NO
NNONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9 KILL STREAK NO DEATHS AS TALON AND THE GAME FUCKING FREEZES ON ME
image.php
image.php

Tokubetsu

NO
NO
NNONONONONONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9 KILL STREAK NO DEATHS AS TALON AND THE GAME FUCKING FREEZES ON ME
image.php
image.php

That's what you get for playing as Talon. Real men like to feel the ground beneath their feet.

BHK3

Banned
I need to get 50 kills as him...this was my 2nd time playing as him. I'm also planning on using him to get the 100 kills per missle trophy...

Top Bottom