• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

batbeg

OldJadedGamer said:
What game holds the record for best selling PS3 game upon release? Was it Hot Shot Golf? Did DMC4 beat that?

I think it's Dynasty Warriors 6, but don't hold me to it.

Now, I've never had any reason to watch Haruhi or care for it. I know of it and what's about, though, and I feel safe in saying I've never seen so much stupid as in this post:

viciouskillersquirrel said:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, huh? Sounds kind of emo. Judging from the fact that she's wearing a Japanese schoolgirl uniform, would I be right in saying that the series chronicles this girl's love life, trials and tribulations against the backdrop of her high school?

Why is it so popular among English speakers?

I also love the absolutely stupid "sounds kind of emo" comment.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, huh? Sounds kind of emo. Judging from the fact that she's wearing a Japanese schoolgirl uniform, would I be right in saying that the series chronicles this girl's love life, trials and tribulations against the backdrop of her high school?

No. You wouldn't be.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
OldJadedGamer said:
What game holds the record for best selling PS3 game upon release? Was it Hot Shot Golf? Did DMC4 beat that?

I think this is the best week for a PS3 game yet. It should beat out HSG5's ~300K easily.

Busaiku

Eight hundred and twenty thousand. I had to check twice to make sure I read that correctly.

How large was the DS userbase when NSMB was released? What were NSMB's first week numbers? I think the two launches are comparable events.
NSMB launched at 900k, and DS+DSL was at 8.4 million.

batbeg

reilo said:
I think this is the best week for a PS3 game yet. It should beat out HSG5's ~300K easily.

...What? How does a 200k game beat a 300k game? (Unless ~ means something in math, which I will admit I don't know)

Edit:

kassatsu said:
He means LTD.

Thank you :)

Busaiku said:
NSMB launched at 900k, and DS+DSL was at 8.4 million.

Worldwide or Japan?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
batbeg said:
...What? How does a 200k game beat a 300k game? (Unless ~ means something in math, which I will admit I don't know)

It means its an estimation

Also LTD

duckroll

batbeg said:

One number is the first week's sales, the other number is total sales...

Actually, that's kind of an interesting description of the series, because of the extent to which it is factually not incorrect and yet horrifyingly misleading.

Jirotrom

rakka said:
fair enough, thought it was in terms of good games
you know Nintendo does have unannounced titles... you act as if the company doesn't have anything planned for the rest of the year.

ethelred said:
Disappointed in Afterschool Boy's performance. So much for the DS printing money for everyone.
:lol :lol

batbeg said:
I think it's Dynasty Warriors 6, but don't hold me to it.

Now, I've never had any reason to watch Haruhi or care for it. I know of it and what's about, though, and I feel safe in saying I've never seen so much stupid as in this post:

I also love the absolutely stupid "sounds kind of emo" comment.
If you'd replaced "stupid" with "ignorance", you'd be correct. As it stands, I don't quite know what you're getting at.

My only exposure to anime have been the English dubs of Samuri Pizza Cats, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, Sailor Moon and one or two Hayao Miyazaki films, so you'll forgive me if I take the series' title and the look of the main character at face value. I really would like to know what this is all about.

sphinx

the piano man
it really had to happen at some point, the DS is being phased out.

If this is the beginning of the end for the DS then... :'(

I guess the days with 24/30 DS games on the top 30 list are gone for good.

Pachael

I would also like to know this. I've seen avatars, signatures and PSP themes all featuring this particular anime girl all over the net. Is this a popular anime? Why does it have such a fervent following?

There's a thread on it, but I think it's (initial) charm came from how the concept was so 'out of this world' in the first novel. Anyway there's a thread for it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105778&highlight=haruhi

lyre

Twilight Princess said:
ds is doomed. psp is a far superior handheld.
sphinx said:
it really had to happen at some point, the DS is being phased out.

If this is the beginning of the end for the DS then... :'(

I guess the days with 24/30 DS games on the top 30 list are gone for good.
DS was always a fad. I welcome our new portable overlord.

rakka

Jirotrom said:
you know Nintendo does have unannounced titles... you act as if the company doesn't have anything planned for the rest of the year.
and you act as if sony and microsoft don't :p the known lineup both first and third party are really quite disappointing when compared to the other systems

also, wow at brawl numbers.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Ubisoft made a huge mistake not relaeasing Assassin's Creed earlier. It could have done 4 times that had it been released alongside the 360

Vinnk

PistolGrip said:
Ubisoft made a huge mistake not relaeasing Assassin's Creed earlier. It could have done <b>4 times<b> that had it been released alongside the 360

In Japan? Really?

Epiphyte

rakka said:
and you act as if sony and microsoft don't :p the known lineup both first and third party are really quite disappointing when compared to the other systems

What 1st party lineup?

They haven't announced anything after Mario Kart. Kind of hard to judge

Jirotrom

rakka said:

I never said Sony and microsoft don't... I own a 360 and plan on buying a ps3 sometime this year. Also, its honestly not disappointing to me...I have enough games as it is releasing when I play pc, ds, ps2,wii and 360. For me the combined line-up is friggen huge.

Pachael said:
There's a thread on it, but I think it's (initial) charm came from how the concept was so 'out of this world' in the first novel. Anyway there's a thread for it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105778&highlight=haruhi
Thanks. From that thread, I get the impression that the show is a parody of anime genres that I know nothing about (what in the heck is a moe?). I imagine that there's an English dub or a subtitled version floating around for it to have gotten the reach that it has among English speakers. The game outsold Wii Fit, but will no doubt disappear off the charts next week.

I wonder how many systems will have been sold because of Smash. Is Smash the kind of game that otaku buy a system for then sell off once they've beaten it? Or is it the kind of game people keep forever? Will we see a flood of used Wii in the following months?

batbeg

If you'd replaced "stupid" with "ignorance", you'd be correct. As it stands, I don't quite know what you're getting at.

My only exposure to anime have been the English dubs of Samuri Pizza Cats, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, Sailor Moon and one or two Hayao Miyazaki films, so you'll forgive me if I take the series' title and the look of the main character at face value. I really would like to know what this is all about.

Stupid and ignorant can mean the same thing when someone is presuming they are correct, which you clearly were :p After all, looking ignorant in front of people also makes you look ___? But that's neither here nor there (well, it could be there, but it's certainly not here), and you've now been answered by someone who does know more about it.

I wonder how many systems will have been sold because of Smash. Is Smash the kind of game that otaku buy a system for then sell off once they've beaten it? Or is it the kind of game people keep forever? Will we see a flood of used Wii in the following months?

In my experience, you don't really "beat" Smash. Although it now has a robust single player mode, people seem to play it forever.

It's a good thing they delayed Smash Brothers in North America with that kinda demand in japan!

Actually i'm guessing mass producing software quickly isn't an issue.. unlike producing consoles.

Anyone know how many game discs nintendo can produce in a day, week, or month?

Nintendo has done such an impressive job with the first year of the Wii.. no wonder it's selling so great.

2008 should continue to be a huge year for them with games like Tales of symhonia, Animal crossing, final fantasy, mario kart etc.. all comming out this year

vertopci

Thanks. From that thread, I get the impression that the show is a parody of anime genres that I know nothing about (what in the heck is a moe?). I imagine that there's an English dub or a subtitled version floating around for it to have gotten the reach that it has among English speakers. The game outsold Wii Fit, but will no doubt disappear off the charts next week.

Smash is all about the multiplayer so people will play it for a long ass time. Doubt there will be flood in used Wiis.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
Disappointed in Afterschool Boy's performance. So much for the DS printing money for everyone in every region.
Fixed?

I'm disappointed too though, thought Konami had a niche hit here.

lyre

ag-my001 said:
I always preferred this version.
Have anyone told you that the guy who is in charge of the place treats the prison like it's his personal plaything?

Not to derail the thread (as if that hasn't already happened), but while I realise this is a prison, but the inmates don't deserve to be humiliated like this nor be forced to 'rehearse' until their feet bleed.

Yoboman

There's nothing emo about what you described (even though that's not what Haruhi is about), STOP USING THAT WORD TO DESCRIBE EVERYTHING

batbeg said:
Stupid and ignorant can mean the same thing when someone is presuming they are correct, which you clearly were :p After all, looking ignorant in front of people also makes you look ___? But that's neither here nor there (well, it could be there, but it's certainly not here), and you've now been answered by someone who does know more about it.
My "presumption" was only an impression based entirely on the title of the show and the look of the main character. I asked if it was correct, so I don't see how it could be seen as a presumption of being correct. However, given that text doesn't convey tone of voice all that well, I suppose I can see where you could have gotten that impression.

batbeg said:
In my experience, you don't really "beat" Smash. Although it now has a robust single player mode, people seem to play it forever.
Ah, thanks. Never played a Smash game, except briefly once at my cousin's place. I don't ever go for multiplayer-centric titles.

Top Bottom