• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one miss your octopus bargains in here.
Awwwww thanks. Felt like it was getting in the way of discussions in here so I tried to do the best for everyone.

It will remain one of the great mysteries of life why PSN is so slow to download from sometimes.
They use different AWS servers that can be damn far away from you. Pausing and unpausing the download seems to connect to the closest server for some strange reason so if you get a bad speed initially try that. I generally get better speeds on PSN than XBL.

3c36546b5eb1c5167be40dd039db260f

not this Shannon right ? i just figured it was yours or a full timers gig because its a bit sparse on content some times ....

glad your in charge of the bargin hunt those rep its more helpful then you relise :)
Thanks! Getting things up on PressStart allowed us to track how popular they are and yeah, they get plenty of attention! I'm just happy everyone can save a few dollars and afford a game they otherwise couldn't now and then!

Holy shit, I just went to buy this, and it's now only $1. Including shipping.

Obviously, I'm still in for that one from your KS backing if that's cool :)

Edit: Never mind, it was just a sticker as one of the options that was $1. Damn.
Yeah lots of crap on eBay has one item that is much cheaper than listed stock so they can get to the top of the 'cheapest item' queue lol. Still really cheap.

Also the Kickstarter stuff STILL hasn't shipped lol.

My son was terrified by Moana. He wanted to see it because it had boats in it (he loves Wind Waker and anything pirate themed), but he wasn't prepared to watch Moana nearly drowning to ominous music. He was okay by the end, but at points I swear he was practically shaking.

My wife and son were almost traumatised by Inside Out. I assumed they'd love it but they HATE the film with a passion even today lol. Not sure 100% why but yeah, they both thought it was super depressing.

Only asking here (sorry for bugging everyone) because the other forums get crazy, but just got my first HDR // 4K screen (Samsung ks8000 55") and I'm in the process of setting up all my apps / Xbox one s for the hd blue ray etc.

Everyone is talking about what settings and modes to put it in. What is this? I've just watched Netflix so far and it seems fine. Should I just hit game mode for games and go from there? It all looks fine but I don't know what I'm missing if it's meant to look better ...

Ps is there a place to go to buy good UHD blu rays?

Ps is there a place to go to buy good UHD blu rays?[/QUOTE]

JBHIFI has 'em (Big W too) and some are on sale in a 2 for $30 promo (Creed, BvS, MoS, Mad Max Fury Road a few others). If they do another 20% off sale at the same time you could get them for about $12 each.

Failing that, Amazon UK is doing 2 for 30 pounds (same films plus a few more)- obviously shipping on top, but minus 20% UK VAT and then probably add 10% Australian GST. so who the fuck knows how much that would work out to be.

Only asking here (sorry for bugging everyone) because the other forums get crazy, but just got my first HDR // 4K screen (Samsung ks8000 55") and I'm in the process of setting up all my apps / Xbox one s for the hd blue ray etc.

Everyone is talking about what settings and modes to put it in. What is this? I've just watched Netflix so far and it seems fine. Should I just hit game mode for games and go from there? It all looks fine but I don't know what I'm missing if it's meant to look better ...

Ps is there a place to go to buy good UHD blu rays?

Yeah like Clive said, basically only JB and even then they have fuck all stock around, best to order online.

There is a GAF thread for that TV for settings! Mainly need to tinker around to get HDR looking spiffy more than anything. Game mode plus changes to colour mode tend to make the most important differences.

Has anyone here had any experience buying parts for arcade sticks? I broke my Sanwa stick last week and need to get that part replaced. Anywhere in Aus would be good. If its in Sydney, it'd be even better (I might go to the store then).

Thanks

NewcastleGAF; what's there to do around here?

I'm staying for an unenviable amount of time and I can't in good conscience spend the rest of it huddled infront of a monitor playing R6 all day.

P.S. Your bike lanes are cool.

Has anyone here had any experience buying parts for arcade sticks? I broke my Sanwa stick last week and need to get that part replaced. Anywhere in Aus would be good. If its in Sydney, it'd be even better (I might go to the store then).

Thanks

I repaced my hori buttons with sanwa buttons but I got it all delivered from the UK.

NewcastleGAF; what's there to do around here?

I'm staying for an unenviable amount of time and I can't in good conscience spend the rest of it huddled infront of a monitor playing R6 all day.

P.S. Your bike lanes are cool.

Ring Gids.

MoonGred

I'm thinking of selling my PSVR, really not using it all that much.

Do I risk using gumtree, or will I set myself up for a whole bunch of hassle?

Cerity

Ugh, learnt me lesson. Had my ps4 on rest mode, halfway through a chapter in DQ:B and hadn't saved. House got hit with a power out, there goes 20 hours :(.

Thanks

Years ago I built a stick and going back through my email I used eTokki. SK based store but shipping was cheap as shit. For a PCB, 8 buttons and the stick - it was $15 shipping.

Outside of that, the only vendors I found in Aus then carried unmarked crown gear iirc.

I'm thinking of selling my PSVR, really not using it all that much.

Do I risk using gumtree, or will I set myself up for a whole bunch of hassle?

Gumtree is fine as long as you meet in a neutral location for cash. I wouldn't give them my phone number or address.

How much you looking for/where you based?

MoonGred

Gumtree is fine as long as you meet in a neutral location for cash. I wouldn't give them my phone number or address.

How much you looking for/where you based?

Pick up would be from the Bacchus Marsh area.

It's currently up for $500 inc camera on OCAU (which I know is on the high side). That said if it's for someone from Ausgaf I'm willing to make a way better deal =)

Card Boy

Banned
Just using Justwatch see where certain shows/movies i want to watch are on what Video streaming service and we are FUCKED. Fuck these blocking cunts. If you want to get anything legally these days you have to go backwards and buy physical media.

Amazon Video is a joke. Less content that what Presto/Stan had when they started and just constant jumping between 4K and 360p video quality. Unsubbed and won't even pay the 3 USD a month special they have on.

Just using Justwatch see where certain shows/movies i want to watch are on what Video streaming service and we are FUCKED. Fuck these blocking cunts. If you want to get anything legally these days you have to go backwards and buy physical media.

Amazon Video is a joke. Less content that what Presto/Stan had when they started and just constant jumping between 4K and 360p video quality. Unsubbed and won't even pay the 3 USD a month special they have on.

It's frustrating. I'm happy to pay but for it to be so easy to just pirate you'd reckon they'd try to get shit out better.

It's not a big deal, but I am starting a casual job and the boss told me that I would need to do an RSA course that I will need to pay for myself ($40) and just get it back from my tax. But I don't know whether I would be given the hours/pay that would put me over the threshold to pay income tax. Is this normal?

Card Boy

Banned
It's not a big deal, but I am starting a casual job and the boss told me that I would need to do an RSA course that I will need to pay for myself ($40) and just get it back from my tax. But I don't know whether I would be given the hours/pay that would put me over the threshold to pay income tax. Is this normal?

As a casual you will never know.

I've started getting foreign transaction fees from my credit card company for purchasing off the Australian PSN. WTF is this about, is anyone else getting this? It's on my Westpac MasterCard.

Jintor

whelp back to endless drudgery and hating of life tomorrow!

*sorry for all you folks already back at work, eternal hatred to those with a few more days off

whelp back to endless drudgery and hating of life tomorrow!

*sorry for all you folks already back at work, eternal hatred to those with a few more days off

I don't know how well People remember Heath Franklins's Chopper Reid but:
"This is Jintor. His name is Jintor
Harden the fuck up, Jintor
"

It'll all work out in the end, Jint. You've been at this soul-destroying place a few months so you could always start to scout around to see what else is out there.

The silver lining: you'll be interviewing for a role while you already have a job- the single most attractive thing for any prospective employer.

Jintor

I just signed up for the process to get admitted as a law talking guy so i need to stick this out for at least 75 days for the work experience component

it's more though that i'm not sure i'm getting anything out of the entire field but stress

I've started getting foreign transaction fees from my credit card company for purchasing off the Australian PSN. WTF is this about, is anyone else getting this? It's on my Westpac MasterCard.

Paying on credit or debit? Sony might be using a different payment company now which don't have a nice deal with Westpac credit.

Either way contact Westpac and tell them it's shit. They might have a different style account without the charge.

I just signed up for the process to get admitted as a law talking guy so i need to stick this out for at least 75 days for the work experience component

it's more though that i'm not sure i'm getting anything out of the entire field but stress

i hear you. 75 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things. you think your job is bad? Imagine the person who had to edit every episode of Fuller House. "I will hill him first, then her, her, him, her, her, him and her."

Jintor

yeah i'm well aware there's people doing worse jobs for less money which makes me feel shit about bitching about this, but still.

Years ago I built a stick and going back through my email I used eTokki. SK based store but shipping was cheap as shit. For a PCB, 8 buttons and the stick - it was $15 shipping.

Outside of that, the only vendors I found in Aus then carried unmarked crown gear iirc.

Their stuff is a bit pricey-er than the few Aus shops I've seen, but it sound like they are reliable enough to deliver the goods. I'll use them if the local options dont work out. Thanks.

Two Australian arcade places I have bought arcade bits from:

https://www.highway.net.au/

http://in2amusements.com.au/

Doesnt look like highway sell Sanwa sticks, so I'll give them a miss.
Though Im going to message the in2amusements guy this week, when hes back from holidays. Again, sounds like he was reliable for you and hes in Aus, so hopefully he'll be my guy. Thanks.

I don't know how well People remember Heath Franklins's Chopper Reid but:
"This is Jintor. His name is Jintor
Harden the fuck up, Jintor
"
We have a friend named Stefan and he doesn't find that quote funny.

But we still do.

Paying on credit or debit? Sony might be using a different payment company now which don't have a nice deal with Westpac credit.

Either way contact Westpac and tell them it's shit. They might have a different style account without the charge.
It's credit. Cheers rep, will have to do that I guess. It was originally a Virgin credit card, and then it became a Westpac one. No annual fees which is nice, and I just pay everything off as I buy it so don't pay interest either. They must hate me.

It's credit. Cheers rep, will have to do that I guess. It was originally a Virgin credit card, and then it became a Westpac one. No annual fees which is nice, and I just pay everything off as I buy it so don't pay interest either. They must hate me.

I remember seeing something about this on probably "The Checkout", that chaser consumer affairs show. Choice article on it.

Basically even though you are paying in AUD, Sony are using an overseas merchant bank so Westpac are making some free bank claiming it costs them to process when it probably doesn't. Being Australian banks they get away with it because they can. Banks in NZ don't

I remember seeing something about this on probably "The Checkout", that chaser consumer affairs show. Choice article on it.

Basically even though you are paying in AUD, Sony are using an overseas merchant bank so Westpac are making some free bank claiming it costs them to process when it probably doesn't. Being Australian banks they get away with it because they can. Banks in NZ don't
Thanks Bob, that article was super helpful. Looks like I might be applying for one of these tomorrow, after I do a bit more research:

https://www.28degreescard.com.au

No annual fees, no foreign transaction fees. I just need to check the fine print.

legend166

Thanks Bob, that article was super helpful. Looks like I might be applying for one of these tomorrow, after I do a bit more research:

No annual fees, no foreign transaction fees. I just need to check the fine print.

I've got that card, it's pretty good. Only thing I'll warn you about is if you don't use their website to pay your balance you pay a 95c fee. So for example if you pay through BPAY through your online banking, you pay that fee. It started about 6 months ago, who knows why.

Fuck these blocking cunts.
It's not Netflix et al you should be angry at, it's the studios. If Netflix don't make an effort to prevent this (because the rights holders are demanding it - Netflix would prefer to have one agreement globally) then they'd just stop dealing with them.

It's one of the main reasons you see Netflix and Amazon doing their own content - they can release it globally without issue.

Also, it's still possible to at least watch US Netflix, with a VPN.

senahorse

Thanks

http://www.ozstick.com.au/product-category/prod-joystick/

They have sanwa sticks, and I found them quick and easy to deal with.

In other related news I am currently building an arcade cabinet. It still has some minor things to go but it's mostly done.

P.S. that is a working coin door down the bottom :)

senahorse

Damn that's awesome. How long did that take you to build?

I have been working on it for the past 2-3 months. Painting/sanding/sealing/vinyl wrapping took up a great deal of the time, as did (well still going) the actual software (MAME, retroarch, Steam etc) and also making Windows invisible etc. Also wiring took a while to get perfect, has a bunch of neat features incorporated, for instance the sticks are Sanwa JLFs that have a mechanical switching gate so it will switch to 4-way for games like Pac-Man and 8-way for your typical fighters etc.

I think it's normal, just gonna have to cop it yourself.
I think it's rare an employer pays for RSA.

so i have to say i can recomend this chair so far so good and the middle isnt plasterd in PU leather so wont wear out anywere near as quick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyHPMsZXnMI

url for the chair is in the bottom of that video - wasint sure if i should just directly link to it ?

not me and not my video but thats how i found out about it

don't know much about chairs but if it's korean it should be good lol
office workers here (in korea) may be sitting there all day and night so makes sense the chairs would be comfy

Cerity

Yeah, 100% I'd spend more time building/upgrading it then actually playing.

That chair looks very dece, I've been looking for another chair for a little while now but the decent office chairs keep getting snatched out before I can get to them. Looks like they still have the black/green one in stock too. Very tempting.

jambo

Back to work today, so of course Jack decided to wake up at 12.30am and not go down until 2am.

Missed 5 alarms and was 1 hour late to work.

Yippee.

Saw Matilda last night. Pretty fantastic, highly recommended!

Also shout out to BrisGAF, Netherworld Arcade is open in the valley with a pretty great looking selection of beers and games (arcade machines, pinball, board games): http://www.netherworldarcade.com/

If anyone is inclined, we could maybe do an Aus GAF meet up at some stage. I have no idea who is even in Brisbane at this stage!

senahorse

That looks great. I've always wanted an arcade cab but I know deep down I'd never use it.

The jury is still out for how much use it gets (hopefully a lot), my goal (I am most of the way there) is to make it as painless as possible to start playing a game on it which will encourage more use of it. Basically hit a combination of two buttons to turn it on and off, which also turns on/off the amp and screen, no logging into an OS and no need for a mouse or keyboard. Also have things like a pause button and save states (I doubt I will use these much) so you can resume where you left off. At the very least it will be a nice way to play Tekken when it comes out :)

28degrees is fantastic. Best currency conversion rate you can get on a free card. Great for AliExpress/Amazon/etc.

No idea if they charge a fee for PSN though. I always buy $ cards on special or use Paypal.

Back to work today, so of course Jack decided to wake up at 12.30am and not go down until 2am.

Missed 5 alarms and was 1 hour late to work.

Yippee.

Yayyyyyyyyyy parent life is great. Things will get worse in terms of night time lol. Our baby basically sleeps with us every night these days, goes to bed in his cot but ends up waking at around 1am then gets dumped in with us. Sleeps fine then, just wish I had a king bed rather than queen lol.
Don't get me started on Mr #1's sleep habits, meshes perfectly with #2 to make life as painful as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom