• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stargate: Origins Announced at SDCC

New miniseries coming to Stargate Command - a new streaming service for all things Stargate

Teaser Trailer

SDCC Poster:
origins-poster01.jpg
TLDR breakdown:

-Stargate: Origins is a prequel, focusing on Catherine Langford, who was there in 1928 when her father discovered the Stargate
-10x10 minute series, singular story
-Set in 1928
-Part of existing canon, i.e. SG-1, Atlantis, SGU
-Aimed to air in Fall 2017
-Will air on Stargate: Command, a new streaming service, with free and paid aspects

From Gateworld.net:
The long night is nearly over, as MGM has announced today that it plans to re-open the Stargate with a new original, live-action series.

Stargate Origins will help to launch the studio’s new digital platform and fan experience, suitably called “Stargate Command.” The subscription service will be the show’s exclusive home, as well as providing fans with additional content, developed for streaming to any device — television, phone, tablet, etc.

First, the show itself: Stargate Origins is a 10-episode digital series, which will explore the untold backstory of Catherine Langford — who first appeared in the 1994 feature film and then in Stargate SG-1‘s first season. “Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness.”

Catherine’s character was present as a young child at the discovery of the Stargate in Giza in 1928, and she worked throughout her life to get the Stargate program going — facing numerous obstacles and international intrigue all through the twentieth century. (Come back tomorrow for GateWorld’s special look at Catherine’s life!)

Origins will fill in more of her important story, shining light on the events leading up to SG-1’s own beginning.

Ten episodes will run for approximately 10 minutes each, made to be digital-friendly and adding up to a single story the length of a TV movie. (Assuming that Catherine’s story is completed here future seasons could, in theory, explore other corners of the Stargate universe in the manner of an anthology.)

Directing the show is Mercedes Bryce Morgan, whose experience in short-form drama includes the series Virtual Morality. Newcomers Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry are writing the show for MGM’s Digital Group and entertainment studio New Form, which will produce.
The subscription-based Stargate Command platform is meant to be MGM’s new home for the franchise and its fans, offering exclusive content not only from the production of SGO but also from the franchise’s 20-year history. MGM regards the project as a way to give back to Stargate’s fans.

“We’ve been eager to revisit the Stargate franchise and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure,” MGM’s President of Digital & New Platforms Kevin Conroy said. “We view Stargate Origins as a thank you to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years. With the increasing popularity of digitally native content that can be streamed to any device, MGM is committed to the production of premium linear mid-form content and are proud to launch with Stargate Origins.”

Stargate Command will have both free elements and paid content for subscribers. The studio also hopes to make the platform available to the fan community worldwide, though international plans are still being hammered out. Expect updates on both of these fronts soon.

Pre-production on Stargate Origins is already underway and cameras are slated to begin rolling in August. The Stargate Command platform is aiming for a fall 2017 launch, though there is no word just yet on a premiere date for the series. (But note that the poster below shows “Coming 2017.”)

Zat me if old

DBT85

I'll watch it because it's more Stargate, but the idea of 1hr40 of Stargate without actually using the stargate except to dial wrong numbers is a little underwhelming.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm not exactly enthusiastic about this premise or format, but I'm optimistic that this is a gateway -- pardon the gods-awful pun -- toward further content.

I'm not advocating for us to all throw cash at MGM if we don't feel it's warranted, but let's definitely keep open minds and be loud about our love for the franchise. They're listening again, and they need to hear us.

And for the love of Apophis, show people how glorious Stargate is at GIFs.

brian577

Banned
I feel like this is MGM testing the waters to see if a new series is viable. Not that it isn't still disappointing as fuck.

Zat me 3 times.

I will give it a watch, doesn't sound to good that they couldn't even buy the proper domain (StargateCommand.com) lol

Hopefully it's popular enough to lead on to a full feature length TV series.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Something else to ponder here: that high-res poster might be showing Catherine when she was a young girl. I can't tell, but yeah. I think it's possible.

I'm also thinking it's possible this kid's about to go on some wild adventure.

KillySG10

Neo Member
This is a terrible idea. Not the show itself, but the way this is all being done, a streaming service specifically for Stargate, great for fans, no-one else is gonna care to pay for it though, this means only your dedicated fans are gonna watch the show, and television/movie studios care about two things, money and ratings.

Movie is alright, SG-1 and Atlantis are really fun, never watched Universe, i like the franchise but no way in hell am i paying a subscription service for it alone.

will explore the untold backstory of Catherine Langford

Seriously ? I mean seriously did anyone ever think "gosh I love SG 1 but I really wish they went into Catherine Langfords untold backstory". Then on top of them doing a mini-series about a minor character no one gives a flying fuck about they are making this a paid subscription service.

I have to wonder about the mental health of the people in charge of these things sometimes. I mean some of the utter shit that comes from these corporations has "THIS WILL FAIL HORRIBLY" written all over it but they still push ahead with it.

A franchise built on the idea of a device that can instantly transport you almost anywhere in the universe, with extensive lore established on a multitude of unique races and cultures, and all they want to do is spend 100 minutes of (probably) touching most of the same story beats as the ones already told from Daniel's perspective in both the movie and the shows?

I mean, if they were wanting to do a story on the political/international politics involved in the stargate, the least they could've done is set it in the timeline's present day so that we could have Picardo return for some sweet Woolsey action. Or at least give us a hard reboot.

What a fucking letdown.

You think this is easier to start up? This is based on an almost nothing character (barely any screen time) that pretty much people know LESS about than Universe.

Whatever story there was to be had for Catherine that the movie didn't tell, I think SG-1 did enough to expand on the character already. Ugh.

UGH.

jb1234

Man. As someone who isn't a fan of the franchise, this is still kinda disappointing. Can't imagine what it feels for people who actually care.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Man. As someone who isn't a fan of the franchise, this is still kinda disappointing. Can't imagine what it feels for people who actually care.

It feels like possibility, man. A very bizarre refresher attempt, but it'll gauge interest and with (a lot of) luck it will lead to further stories.

Takin' this the B5 route: Basically this will either fail-launch something, a la The Lost Tales or Legend of the Rangers, or it'll cause further content to be made.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Can we do this day over again and not tell me beforehand that there's a big Stargate announcement for a new show coming? You didn't need to raise my hopes like this. It's cruel.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Can we do this day over again and not tell me beforehand that there's a big Stargate announcement for a new show coming? You didn't need to raise my hopes like this. It's cruel.

Maybe it's a massive multi-corporate conspiracy to make Star Trek: Discovery look unerringly platinum by comparison.

Slermy

I'm actually down for this. I love both the movie and TV shows, and this prevents them from retconning that stuff. I think there's some interesting stories to be told here. It's different at the very least.

jdstorm

Banned
Sure it would have been better if they had done a reboot.
Joel Mchale would have made a pretty good Jack O'Neil

But all things considered this is still good news.

Slayven

Star Trek might be able to pull off a streaming service

But fucking Stargate? I love the show but not enough for a monthly recurring charge

Bluth54

A paid stargate subscription service app? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

Yeah not everything needs a stream service. Stuff like this is probably going to crash and burn. Yeah hardcore Stargate fans might subscribe for a month or two for this miniseries but no one wants to or is going to have a dozen different streaming services.

I'm actually down for this. I love both the movie and TV shows, and this prevents them from retconning that stuff. I think there's some interesting stories to be told here. It's different at the very least.
Its ten 10 minute episodes by the way. Esentially a movie. One story.

Euphony

Banned
So...a subscription streaming service just for the Stargate series and this new mini-series? As much as I like Stargate, I don't think this is a smart idea.

DBT85

You'd think anyone who would really care enough to pay for a streaming service probably has every episode already.

Yeah I'm struggling to care about the events of a prequel about a pulpy sci-fi story that I enjoyed because of characters that didn't even exist in the prequels.

No O'Neal or Teal'c, no watchy.

I was honestly intrested in the concept and setting until I saw the ten minute thing, but that does not work for me. It just sound horrible. At the very least you could have combined all that effort to release another another standalone movie - like The Ark of Truth. It would be the perfect length then. Might as well put it on Youtube if you are going to split it like that.

Prequel huh

Well we all know how it ends up.

Earth beats all the bad guys and ends up super powerful with all the best technology, weapons and ships!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I literally laughed out loud at the details. A Stargate Streaming Service with free and paid aspects. Hahahahaha

Nah, I think I'm good. They're trying to sell webisodes

Top Bottom