• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Coverage April/13/07 (post #922+ for reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
QVT said:
Luke's the one whos being egotistical and rude here. Its not like its Denis versus a nice, reasonable, objective guy.

You guys act like if somebody does something good they can't be proud of it and have to just be humble about it like they didn't deserve it. If the games good then it does matter who created it, and we should respect them. So this guy talks more than other developers. So what.

No, it's his quotes that are generating this. Do you see Luke Smith attacking any other developers on here?

Saying "this game will change the way you think about games" sounds "proud" to you? To me it sounds arrogant. Comparing your games to Shakespear is also a big ego.

I am not a hateful guy, but Denis has stuck his foot in his mouth so many times that this is the response you get when you act the way he has.

Denis might be a nice guy and this might be the way he believes he needs to be to make a name for himself, but I really dislike it. Luke is calling it out, and I see nothing egotistical about Luke's remarks.

TDG

Banned
QVT said:
Luke's the one whos being egotistical and rude here. Its not like its Denis versus a nice, reasonable, objective guy.

You guys act like if somebody does something good they can't be proud of it and have to just be humble about it like they didn't deserve it. If the games good then it does matter who created it, and we should respect them. So this guy talks more than other developers. So what.
People who miss the point are SO funny.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Thunderbear said:
No, it's his quotes that are generating this. Do you see Luke Smith attacking any other developers on here?

Saying "this game will change the way you think about games" sounds "proud" to you? To me it sounds arrogant. Comparing your games to Shakespear is also a big ego.

I am not a hateful guy, but Denis has stuck his foot in his mouth so many times that this is the response you get when you act the way he has.

Denis might be a nice guy and this might be the way he believes he needs to be to make a name for himself, but I really dislike it. Luke is calling it out, and I see nothing egotistical about Luke's remarks.

It just means he thinks hes actually accomplished something and isn't ashamed about it. He might be totally wrong, we'll have to see the game first. But everything I've seen from Luke doesn't exactly speak "journalist" to me, even though he isn't a real journalist so we can't hold him to those somewhat lose standards.

QVT said:
It just means he thinks hes actually accomplished something and isn't ashamed about it. He might be totally wrong, we'll have to see the game first. But everything I've seen from Luke doesn't exactly speak "journalist" to me, even though he isn't a real journalist so we can't hold him to those somewhat lose standards.

God, this SO takes me back to the Derek Smart threads of the late 90's.

Vrolokus

Banned
QVT said:

I compare it to people who get all up in arms when a celebrity expresses a personal opinion on politics or something. "You are our entertainment monkey, not a person! Just make me smile and shut up!" Oh the rage, the rage!

I've never gotten the Dyack hate (or Jaffe hate, or Itagaki hate, or whoever else). People on these boards are more rude, egotistical and absurd on a daily basis, yet Dyack isn't allowed a little verbal diarrhea once in a while.

Anyway, I love threads like this. SO. ENTERTAINING. And it'll get even better once IGN finally dishes. :D

QVT

glimmerman said:
God, this SO takes me back to the Derek Smart threads of the late 90's.

Whoa, did Too Human suck THAT bad?!

If so I take it all back. Go Luke.

It couldn't have sucked THAT bad.

goldenpp72

I think luke is a bit fast to take potshots at denis because of this whole '1up didn't get to see it but ign did' and I can see where denis is coming from with his comments..

I just think it would be in denis best interest not to call out people at all, prove them wrong with your product if you have to prove them wrong at all.

GhaleonEB said:
But if he DOES come on the show...oh boy that will be fun.

Since the 1Up boys have all gone Cobra Kai on us, I think Dennis is in big trouble.

4dhcso3.jpg

"Get him a body bag! Yeah!!!"

:lol

i don't see what is childish or unethical in pushing someone to truly back-up and take responce to their own bold statement that their game will "change the way you think about games"

Hey it's not that I don't like fun. **** everything. Keep GIFs coming. If IGN is posting it as their usual time, we still have around 5 hours.

Bowen_B

Banned
I live in the UK, if I go to bed now I'll come back to an epic thread with 10+ bannings, at least 3 taggings, a whole new series of avatars and over 2000 posts to read.
Looks like I'm here for the night!

Vrolokus

Banned
meltpotato said:
i don't see what is childish or unethical in pushing someone to truly back-up and take responce to their own bold statement that their game will "change the way you think about games"

I thought Core said that(?)

Core407 said:
This game has the potential to change the way we think about games. I am really looking forward to see if they can incorporate a a cinematic camera system and keep the gameplay intact.

Luke laughed at Core's comment, and then the train went off the tracks, into an orphanage, and blew up Montana.

goldenpp72 said:
I just think it would be in denis best interest not to call out people at all, prove them wrong with your product if you have to prove them wrong at all.

<Dyacks Brain>: Bzzzzzt. Bzzzzzzzzzt. Does not compute. Open Mouth. Insert Foot.

TDG

Banned
QVT said:
Your double standard is idiotic! You're mad because you think we're mad at Dyack because he's out talking (his job is making games), yet you refuse to acknowledge that Luke is a journalist because he comes to message boards and doesn't just say things like "Hi guys, the show will be up at 5" even though talking to gamers is part of his job.
You're just out of your little mind.

Bowen_B said:
I live in the UK, if I go to bed now I'll come back to an epic thread with 10+ bannings, at least 3 taggings, a whole new series of avatars and over 2000 posts to read.
It's weekend!

FFChris

Bowen_B said:

I left the ProPlus at Uni, looks like I'm on good old coffee for the night!

Thunderbear said:

Funny thing is EVERYTHING you just said in that post, the forumers said before Denis even gave a interview or shown the game to IGN.

Vrolokus said:
I thought Core said that(?)

i could be wrong, but didn't denis say that (or something extremely close) on the EGM Live podcast? i don't mean to put words in his mouth, but regardless of the actual quote, he has made numerous bold statements. Nothing wrong with that, but you got to be ready to stand with those comments afterwards.

QVT

the disgruntled gamer said:
Your double standard is idiotic! You're mad because you think we're mad at Dyack because he's out talking (his job is making games), yet you refuse to acknowledge that Luke is a journalist because he comes to message boards and doesn't just say things like "Hi guys, the show will be up at 5" even though talking to gamers is part of his job.
You're just out of your little mind.

Your ridiculous claims of doublestandardism is idiotic. I'm not mad, I don't care if you guys are mad at Denis. Luke coming to message boards doesn't make him any less of a journalist. Video games are just not the typical journalism thing. There have to be other video game journalists here who aren't rude, constantly, though.

meltpotato said:
i could be wrong, but didn't denis say that (or something extremely close) on the EGM Live podcast? i don't mean to put words in his mouth, but regardless of the actual quote, he has made numerous bold statements. Nothing wrong with that, but you got to be ready to stand with those comments afterwards.

Denis said something along the lines of how the bad E3 build and the way it was treated by the press would change the games business.

Hilarity ensued across the world.

Chiggs

Creasybear said:
maybe if dennis bundled copies of this thread with Too Human, that train wreck of game would be entertaining enough to buy.

Not funny, just mean. And Man on Fire sucks shit.

TDG

Banned
QVT said:
Your ridiculous claims of doublestandardism is idiotic. I'm not mad, I don't care if you guys are mad at Denis. Luke coming to message boards doesn't make him any less of a journalist. Video games are just not the typical journalism thing. There have to be other video game journalists here who aren't rude, constantly, though.
What did Luke do that was rude? Laugh at the thought of the game "changing the way we look at games?" Challenge Dyack to show the game to him?
Really, pull your head out of the sand.

glimmerman said:
Denis said something along the lines of how the bad E3 build and the way it was treated by the press would change the games business.

Hilarity ensued across the world.

he said a lot more than that.

mark influenced by teh fanboyz and having a bias against 360, oh man...

i wish more devs would make bold claims and try to best their competition like denis. i also hope he is able to do exactly that. however, i really don't appreciate the way that he has been approaching the press and forum responce to his game. man up, take the criticism, build a better game because of it.

one of my biggest issue with his whole how to market a game thing is that it takes away the possiblity for feedback from fans and press in the development process. criticism only provides additional perspectives to consider in producing the best possible product.

QVT

the disgruntled gamer said:
What did Luke do that was rude? Laugh at the thought of the game "changing the way we look at games?" Challenge Dyack to show the game to him?
Really, pull your head out of the sand.

Ok. Go Luke!

QVT said:
Whoa, did Too Human suck THAT bad?!

If so I take it all back. Go Luke.

It couldn't have sucked THAT bad.

even regardless of how bad Too Human turns out to be, Dyack is the new (Not-So) Smart.

Chiggs

glimmerman said:
even regardless of how bad Too Human turns out to be, Dyack is the new (Not-So) Smart.

BULLSHIT. And please don't label me as some Dyack defender. Derek Smart is in a league of his own, and always will be. Dyack's games are far, far better than ANYTHING Derek Smart has ever released.

And we'd better stop mentioning S to the M to the A to the R to the T, lest he show up here. Or wait, wouldn't that be a good thing? :lol

QVT

Chiggs said:
BULLSHIT. And please don't label me as some Dyack defender. Derek Smart is in a league of his own, and always will be. Dyack's games are far, far better than ANYTHING Derek Smart has ever released.

And we'd better stop mentioning S to the M to the A to the R to the T, lest he show up here. Or wait, wouldn't that be a good thing? :lol

If Smart showed up it'd be the stuff of legends. LEGENDS.

Who would he support?

soco

meltpotato said:
man up, take the criticism, build a better game because of it. .

what exact criticism has there been other than the framerate and the one-button gameplay? are we sure they haven't addressed it? they've at least admitted that it was too early to show the game and some other mistakes, and that sounds like manning up to me.

the stuff that followed that i'm aware of, mostly related more to comments or other handling of situations and not directly the game. i personally couldn't care how big of an ego the guy has or how he handles shit outside of the games, so long as he devliers.

Dartastic

Chiggs said:
Tony Scott is a worthless hack. Or are were referring to the original starring Scott Glenn?

I hope he says Tony that way someone can laugh at it and we'll get another amazing 10 pages.

Edit-Or I can say something and bork the thread. = /

Edit 2-Thank god, someone posted after me. :D

Chiggs said:

Fair point, let me qualify what I just said: Dyack is 50% Derek Smart. The really bad PR and idiotic internet behaviour part. The part which is all hot air and no substance.

As for the game, its still to be proven whether he'll get the other 50%.

But nothing we've seen so far really disproves that he won't get there.

Theres a good chance we'll have a new Smart to start the mother of all flamewars in the next few months.

PS: I'm still hoping Smart's ego gets the better of him one of these days and he starts posting again. Golden years!

Dartastic

glimmerman said:
But nothing we've seen so far really disproves that he won't get there.

To be fair, everything I've ever played of Dyack's has delivered. Too Human's hype was absolutely absurdly high, and when at E3 it sucked, well, that's never really a good sign. Since then the game has had close to a year of development time, and we still don't know when it's going to come out. There's still a very good possibility of it being a great game. A game that will change the way you look at gaming though? That's where things get out of hand...

If any games (or in this case, a system) are changing the ways people are looking at games, it's the Wii. I know multiple people who never even PLAY games who want to buy a Wii, whether it's because of the internet functionality, or the virtual console bring out feelings of nostalgia, or Wii Sports, or even (thank god) the greatness that is Super Paper Mario. Seriously. How the hell is pushing buttons with a different coat of paint going to change the way we think about video games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom