• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seriously WTF!? ....The PS4 Pro is embarrassingly loud :(

farisr

I always love reading these types of threads because people fail to realize that everyone has a different setup. Some people play with the system right next to them on a desk or something, and others play in the living room on sofa far away from the system and with plenty of background noise.
Well OP has already given details about his setup, that he sits 9-10 ft away. Definitely should not be hearing it at that distance. And when you have other points of reference, like OP saying this is louder than the other PS4 models, it's quite easy to tell that this is likely a "bad" system hat he got.

Seloth

Banned
It reminds me of the thread about the ds4 rubber grips breaking down and everyone accusing the guy of sanding them down, lol.

R1CHO

I always love reading these types of threads because people fail to realize that everyone has a different setup. Some people play with the system right next to them on a desk or something, and others play in the living room on sofa far away from the system and with plenty of background noise.

We even have different hearing. And that it's specifically important regarding high pitch noises.

I'll be getting one this weekend and I guess I'll find out. I sit about 3 ft (~1meter) away from my launch PS4 and at times it's unbearably loud. if the pro is just as loud i won't be keeping it

Reading people's impressions in this thread gives me hope

It reminds me of the thread about the ds4 rubber grips breaking down and everyone accusing the guy of sanding them down, lol.

I don't see how. Folks are giving their experience and suggesting he replace it if he hears it from the distance he described. Hardly accusatory.

Is there any evidence of huge fan noise discrepancy between PS4s? All I ever read is "mine is quiet, yours must be fucked" but even with the PS4 standard I never heard one that didn't sound pretty much exactly like mine.

My launch ps4 sounded like a jet engine with the last of us, killzone shadowfall, and other games.

My Xbox one I had before selling it and now my new S however have both been practically silent even when playing graphic intensive games.

Seems Microsoft built a quality product this gen. If the pro is as loud as it sounds, I probably won't get one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We even have different hearing. And that it's specifically important regarding high pitch noises.

Pitch is an important factor. My PS3s were all super loud and annoyed the crap out of me due to pitch but the PS4 and Pro haven't bothered me, even when the fans would get going on the launch PS4.

ron_bato

Sorry to hear that OP.

Mine stays quiet based on the games that I played (NBA 2k17, BF 1, TLoU, Uncharted 4) , but it does ramp up when it's getting taxed, but I wouldn't describe it as loud.

Maybe you can get it exchanged.

I can definitely hear mine all of the time even when I'm not playing a game but I am sitting pretty damn close to it (about 1 metre) and the ambient temperature is also quite high (mid 30's here in Australia) so the fan is always ramped up somewhat. I'd say it's not that much quieter than my old OG PS4 but it doesn't really bother me to be honest.

RPGam3r

Yeah this.

I'm 4-5 feet from mine and it's absolutely audible.

Also I'm fairly skeptical of people saying electronics are "silent" online in general. I've read too many user reviews that were wrong about that over the years. I feel like a lot of people consider something to be "silent" when they can't hear it from like 12 feet away while their sound system is pumping out loud audio or something.

I can reach out and touch my PS4 Pro with no issue and I can barely hear the thing.

You can hear it heavily from 8 ft away??? Definitely replace it. It's not really a lottery considering majority of reports and sound measurement comparisons have been the opposite of your experience. Manufacturing defects happen to mass produced products. Sounds like you won the unlucky lottery, if anything

Maybe post a video?

I can reach out and touch my PS4 Pro with no issue and I can barely hear the thing.

With no disrespect, I have a hard time believing that. However, I think I've grown skeptical due to years of seeing people describe things as "whisper quiet" when they aren't at all in my own experience.

Maybe I have super hearing, who knows. This is why I always defer to actual db testing for noise levels.

With no disrespect, I have a hard time believing that. However, I think I've grown skeptical due to years of seeing people describe things as "whisper quiet" when they aren't at all in my own experience.

Maybe I have super hearing, who knows. This is why I always differ to actual db testing for noise levels.

We've all just gone deaf from the constant high pitch of our og ps4s and pros and never realized it, I guess

RPGam3r

Maybe I have super hearing, who knows. This is why I always differ to actual db testing for noise levels.

I'm not saying it is whisper quiet, I'm saying that against the sound of my TV (which is slightly further away) I can barely hear the thing, I have to actively listen for it.

My hearing isn't bad.

I can't help any trust hurdles you may have.

TheWraith

Mine is super quiet, except when playing Uncharted at 4K in HDR mode. System does get hot at all times, but expect this is normal?

Strings

Could you post a video?

Even playing Hitman unlocked hasn't bothered mine, while my OG PS4 sounded like it would explode while running that / had to stay locked to preserve my sanity.

muetimueti

Neo Member
It's perfectly possible that many people just don't notice the sound if its pitch is high enough. You'd need some actual testing to know whether OP's Pro is actually defective or not, this might very well be just the standard noise level.

RenditMan

Banned
Look

I get it... the GPU is doing A LOT of good shit and the games look pretty fucking great

That being said, I truly don't understand how anyone at R&D thought the insane whine-pitch the system CONSTANTLY puts out when playing 60fps content (system is actually silent with 30fps games ala Rise of the Tomb Raider) @ 4k (or downsampled 1080p) would be acceptable..... Let alone for $400

It really is a nice piece kit from an architectural standpoint, but that small ass fan coupled with the poorly ventilated chassis just ends up making the most distinctly annoying sound. Dare I say, it's actually worse than the C-Chassis, due to the fact now fan is constantly alternating it's speeds and therefor, the pitches it's hitting.

I really want to love this system, but i feel like I've had enough and the visual trade-off really isn't worth it when I sit 9-10ft away from the damn thing and all I can hear is it's cooling system. And please don't say, "just turn up the volume or where headsphones"
I got a family and I can't be rocking the house with my small window of gametime at night.

I'm thinking just giving up and getting the PS4Slim :(

Sorry, I had to vent (no pun intended)

Sounds like a bit coil whine unfortunately. Sometimes it goes away permanently, sometimes it doesn't.

Haines

Banned
These threads are great bc everyone has a loud one and everyone has a quiet one.

It's a bunch of gibberish.

Your ps4 makes some noise. Get over it.

ClearData

Sorry to hear about your noise problem with the Pro OP. Do you have it in an area that has good ventilation? How is the temperature of the room? Ventilation is very important. I myself try to keep my Pro in an area that has plenty of cool air around it and is not confined. If you do have a confined area for your Pro perhaps buy a cooling pad?

Schnozberry

Mine sits on top of my entertainment center and is pretty well ventilated on all sides. I can barely hear it. Honestly it sounds like you might have a bad unit or it's not getting enough cool air intake.

Mine is quieter than my 2014 White Destiny PS4, but still louder than I'd like. Wouldn't describe it as "embarrassingly" loud as it is an improvement over my previous plain PS4... But yeah, I do wish Sony would've made a little more consideration toward the system's acoustics under load. Even my thin-enclosure gaming laptop with a full GTX 1060 GPU makes less noise under load, and I think the Xbox One and the Xbox One S are both top-class in terms of load acoustics.

PrinceKee

I had a launch system I traded in for my Pro that would sound like a hair dryer just in the menus. Then once I started playing a game like Uncharted 4, BF1, or Rocket league it would sound like a jet engine. My new Pro is way quieter but, it's not whisper quiet like my Xbox One is. When playing BF1 the fans did kick up another notch once and got noticeably louder. Overall it's a lot quieter than launch PS4's for sure, I'm not sure about the PS4 slim since I've never played on one...

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Yeah this.

I'm 4-5 feet from mine and it's absolutely audible.

Also I'm fairly skeptical of people saying electronics are "silent" online in general. I've read too many user reviews that were wrong about that over the years. I feel like a lot of people consider something to be "silent" when they can't hear it from like 12 feet away while their sound system is pumping out loud audio or something.

Mine is 3 feet away and is inaudible (outside of initial disc access) Mostly Uncharted 4 single and multiplayer being the test.

TalonJH

Are you maybe hearing the disk drive and not the fan? Does it get loud playing digital games? I've been digital only on all platforms and wouldn't know if was the disk drive.

My launch unit was never 'jet engine' loud but it was much louder than my pro. Way quieter than my PC. Sitting in my living right now and everyone is asleep. The loudest thing I hear is my refrigerator in the kitchen about 20 ft away. Clicking the sticks and pressing the buttons on my controller is much more audible than my pro.

I sit nearly 10 feet away and play bf1 mainly. The fan jumps up at least 5 times whilst in the menus(spawn screen especially) and is definitely audible. The pitch is the killer for me. Hurts my ears.

Part of me thinks it's a bf1 bug as when I was a pc gamer there used to be times when my GPu went to 100% usage and the fan ramped up whilst just sitting in the main menu screen of a game. Game had a bug that was later patched.

I asked a online game UK agent if they thought I'd be able to exchange it and they said it would have to be faulty. So I got a feeling I won't be able to replace it. Will ring the store today.

Top Bottom