• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Slaythe

1. Didn't know that. I'm was just going off popularity and what I've played of the 3D games.

2. At no point did I say that. Considering he was just reintroduced in the anime, I'm assuming the staff wouldn't have time to add some of his newest stuff if he were in the base roster. He would most likely just have similar moves to 18. If they made a DLC based off the current tournament arc, he would definitely make the cut. So yeah, the Super version of him would have a lot of unique moves to go off of. His Android saga version, probably not, if Android saga 18 already in the game.

17 fights the same way in Super and Z. Super just made him use his existing stuff more. The only real new thing he has is a spinning barrier which is the result of melee against his barrier.

Just like Goku has ssj and blue, and I'm sure Trunks will get a form too, they could perfectly add Z 17 and then just give him whatever new stuff he gets once this arc is over, when they make his DLC costume. 17 has more than enough display of attacks to design his entire neutral game.

17 does not fight like 18. This game uses existing material to create the moves of each fighter.

Most characters have only two supers... 18 has kienzan and accel dance. So it's not like 17 would get both. 17 Has never teamed up with his sister on one target in the canon btw.

Neoxon

Exactly what I expect. 100%.
Although the representation may be a bit skewed towards certain universes due to the amount of screen-time certain universes may get in the arc, it'd be cool if ASW had enough material to pull someone from each of the competing universes.

Just realized Hit's idle/walking stance will be with his hands in his pockets. Which is effing badass.

God I am going be pissed if he isn't in this from the start. Just give me Hit, Black and Beerus from Super, and I'll be content no matter what the rest of the roster looks like (tho I really want Janemba, kid Goku and Bulma as well).

2003_Forward.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I still haven't got around to watching Super, how many episodes deep is it to get past the Battle of Gods/Resurrection F stuff? Is there anything important if I just skip that all?

LotusHD

Banned
I still haven't got around to watching Super, how many episodes deep is it to get past the Battle of Gods/Resurrection F stuff? Is there anything important if I just skip that all?

28 or so episodes, just watch the 2 movies instead. I would not recommend ignoring it, even if you end up having to watch the anime.

FSLink

Banned
I just realized you could fit Arale in this game's story somehow if it's about androids.

I don't wanna get my hopes up tho.
I dunno I really do think we'll get a quirky character. Whether it's Arale, Great Saiyaman, Bulma in a mech, or someone else I dunno. I think one of them has a decent chance.

re Arale:

Like Vegeta said, don't fight gag manga characters.

They could easily make a Revelator-like expansion for just the Tournament of Power arc. Throw in DBS Android 17, Caulifla, Kale, Jiren, Toppo, Ribrianne, & Bergamo, and you have a sizable DLC update.

Rev 2 had exactly 2 new characters. And this was near a full year after Rev 1

This is a Xenoverse 2 update you're describing here. Not this game.

bubumiao

re Arale:

Like Vegeta said, don't fight gag manga characters.

Rev 2 had exactly 2 new characters. And this was near a full year after Rev 1

This is a Xenoverse 2 update you're describing here. Not this game.

I think you're overlooking the popularity of Dragon Ball as a franchise and the interest this game has garnered since its initial reveal.

Skronk

Banned
Wonder how many codes they're going to send out? There'll be millions of people registering especially if the news sites post about it too.

I've not watched Super yet, but is there anything that Ultimate Gohan can do that makes him unique compared to the 6 Saiyans who are already in, and a better choice than Great Saiyaman?

Skronk

Banned
I've not watched Super yet, but is there anything that Ultimate Gohan can do that makes him unique compared to the 6 Saiyans who are already in, and a better choice than Great Saiyaman?

Well we haven't seen a tonne of him fighting yet but he seems to be more focused on ki enhanced strikes.
People have the uploaded the clip of him fighting Goku, nothing too spoiler worthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1uxoabXTLc

88random

Universe survival DLC wishlist:

Caulifla
Kale
Jiren
Toppo
one of those uni 9 wolves

Tournament of power stage
with Champa blowing a vuvuzela in the background

patchday

They could easily make a Revelator-like expansion for just the Tournament of Power arc. Throw in DBS Android 17, Caulifla, Kale, Jiren, Toppo, Ribrianne, & Bergamo, and you have a sizable DLC update.

you gonna make Xrd fans wince when you say that. REV2 update was kind of weird how it fragmented the player base. New fans that buy REV1 on sale always wonder why they cant find anyone online.

These devs traditionally prefer to release brand new games (I am guessing to hit the Arcades again in Japan). But maybe they will turn a new chapter on this game with Namco being the publisher and they're using this licensed IP

They're just not known to flood the market with lots of DLC characters

I think you're overlooking the popularity of Dragon Ball as a franchise and the interest this game has garnered since its initial reveal.

That doesn't change the amount of time, effort and planning it takes to make characters in traditional fighting games though. It's not really something you can just throw more money at to get more done in short period of time.

Keep hope alive I guess, but I don't think anyone expecting like 3 waves of 5+ character DLC to ship in the first year are living in reality.

I'm expecting an initial wave of 3 DLC characters, basically one team's worth since it's 3 vs 3. Any more than that probably depends on how well the game/DLC does, and whether or not they're planning a DBFZ2 or just DLC-style updates in the future.

grizzelye

(Sorry if this has been said before), wouldn't it be neat to have a fusion option in the game, brings your team of three into two instead?

so I can start with a team of three and then choose to merge/fusion e.g imperfect cel/android 18/android 17 (if he's in)

Anth0ny

SSJB Vegeta also has a move from the Future Trunks arc. So by that logic, Goku Black & Zamasu are fair game for the base roster.

This is true, but I still choose to believe the cut off for new characters is at the Universe 6 arc. Or else Trunks would have had his Super design.

I hope I'm wrong and Goku Black is on the main roster, of course, but I just don't believe it.

This is true, but I still choose to believe the cut off for new characters is at the Universe 6 arc. Or else Trunks would have had his Super design.

I hope I'm wrong and Goku Black is on the main roster, of course, but I just don't believe it.

Well the roster looks like it's bigger than we previously thought, so Ikari Trunks could always end up being a separate character.

Neoxon

you gonna make Xrd fans wince when you say that. REV2 update was kind of weird how it fragmented the player base. New fans that buy REV1 on sale always wonder why they cant find anyone online.

These devs traditionally prefer to release brand new games (I am guessing to hit the Arcades again in Japan). But maybe they will turn a new chapter on this game with Namco being the publisher and they're using this licensed IP

They're just not known to flood the market with lots of DLC characters
My ideal update would be that only the characters are paid for while everything else is free. But given the situation, I could see Bamco pushing for a separate release.

_Legacy_

I wish this game was coming out sooner, I'm skipping MvC:I for this and can't wait for it to drop next year.

I would also like to see one of the uni 9 wolves as dlc, maybe the leader (forgot his name) who's super could grant him a temporary armor and also making his own attacks more powerful the more he is attacked by the enemy in this mode? Could be an interesting dynamic.

Goku Black surely has to be in there as well.

I don't know how likely the wolves would be because there's just so many other characters I'd imagine making it in before them, but it would be awesome if they were like Android 18 w/ 17. You play as one, and the other two you call in for certain moves, and their super moves would be their team up attacks.

Skronk

Banned
I don't know how likely the wolves would be because there's just so many other characters I'd imagine making it in before them, but it would be awesome if they were like Android 18 w/ 17. You play as one, and the other two you call in for certain moves, and their super moves would be their team up attacks.

My guess would be they pick Bergamo and he tags in the others for some supers. Then they all get together for the DANGER'S TRIANGLE!

Slaythe

Slay you skipped my 2D 17 quote :(

Oh my bad.

Was that the DS game ?

I don't consider that a 2D game, not just because of the 3D models but because of the physics and controls. Compare that to every other Butoden, the difference should be obvious. Also they re-used the same animation strings for most characters with a few exception so yeah... Wasn't the typical "2d hand drawn" with fighting game gameplay I'm talking about. Cause like I'm sure he was playable in some 2D card game too, you get my point :p .

FighterZ uses 3D models but they mimic 2D for everything gameplay wise, and even try to nail the look, every character is unique they don't recycle stuff, giving it the "hand drawn" feel, coupled with nice cell shading.

I wouldn't exactly say this, I would imagine they would use a character's iconic appearance over anything else and I don't think Super Trunks really brings anything incredibly interesting that normal Future Trunks doesn't.

Either way, I would say Black could be likely, but I wouldn't say guaranteed.

HardRojo

Classic outfits SSB Goku and Vegeta are from the Future Trunks arc, so the cutoff can't be the U6 tournament as those characters wouldn't have made it in if that were the case.
I don't expect to see even more new characters this week, but if they somehow reveal Hit or Goku Black I'll go nuts from the excitement.

Classic outfits SSB Goku and Vegeta are from the Future Trunks arc, so the cutoff can't be the U6 tournament as those characters wouldn't have made it in if that were the case.
I don't expect to see even more new characters this week, but if they somehow reveal Hit or Goku Black I'll go nuts from the excitement.

I don't think we'll be getting any more characters until next month.
It'd be nice if they gave us a some gameplay videos for Krillin, Piccolo, Blue Goku, Blue Vegeta, 16 and 18 though.

This is true, but I also think it was probably easier to just make changes to their existing models for these forms than make their RoF/U6 outfits. I really want hit, has a lot of potential for some neat stuff.

HardRojo

This is true, but I also think it was probably easier to just make changes to their existing models for these forms than make their RoF/U6 outfits. I really want hit, has a lot of potential for some neat stuff.

I'm still salty that we're not getting the RoF outfits, that's bullshit.

Top Bottom