• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Fireblend

Banned
I swear I only get bomb defense up skills. Ugghh.
Better than Special Power Up which is all I get :(

I went on a huge losing streak today in tower control. It's the same pool of players, but for some reason as soon as I made it to A I started losing 75% of my matches.

Doorman

I'm really loving the sting ray in ranked too. I haven't seen much talk about that special (or much praise to be specific) but I was getting a lot of splats and assists with it in all 3 modes. you can pump it on and off to stay locked onto your target or to better aim at a grouping of people or just straight up pressure the zone/tower/fish directly. helps if you're in control or not. if you are then you keep the other team at bay especially with the tower and fish and if you're not in control than you put direct pressure on the other team riding the tower or holding the fish either getting the splat and turning the tide or at least making them stall.

maybe sting ray just needs to be in some more kits going forward to start getting more use. right now it's on some weapons that aren't seeing much play. the firefin splat charger and scope are getting picked over the vanilla set, I don't see too many heavy splatlings, and of course rip the dynamo.

that special just surprised me and if I can do some shit with it then surely better players could take advantage of it as well

Stingray, like the Clash itself, definitely feels like it's built to be more useful in ranked than turf war. It's an unusual and unwieldy one, but mostly I think the biggest knock against it might just be that other specials are just...better. Pressuring a small area is just as easy with the inkjet and can probably rack up even more kills, as well as the base-invading potential. Ink armor is...ink armor. I don't think it's a coincidence that you see so much of those two in particular in tournament play like Inkstorm (the tourney, not the special). It has its uses, but there's a definite sense of "other options are just better," which is true of the Clash itself.
Incidentally, it's also a much harder special to get a good sense for in turf war, so its usefulness in ranked might be thought lower of prior to people even getting that far.

But a future of everybody using tentatek bores the hell out of me so I want to keep testing.

Ogodei

I've been using the Jet Squelcher for most of Splat Zones (and the Dualie Squelchers for the others that require close quarters fighting), mostly Dualie Squelchers for Rainmaker, and N-Zap for Tower Control, though i'd rather something that has both suction bombs and suction bomb rush, but they seem to have eliminated that possibility altogether this time around.

ChrisD

So we just had a 3v4 on Port Mackerel that we somehow won.

Of course, I SAY 3v4, but it was really a 4v4. It's just that our fourth thought it was so cool and awesome that you can clip through a wall on the map, and therefore stayed in said clipped wall all game. Much to the dismay of the other three of us who spammed "This Way!" at him for two minutes straight as we had to fight in unfair terms.

Nobody
Cares
That you clipped
Through a wall
Please
Play
The dang
Game

Don't know if I should play anymore or not until the map rotates out. I've been pretty lucky in regards to not getting that type of player until now. :/

Nothing better when you have a three on one advantage, with the one in their Spawn area, in Tower Control and nobody will jump on the Tower.

Oh, maybe when everyone leaves without picking up the rainmaker, lol.

ChrisD

Four kills but not close enough a timeframe to see four names on the bottom screen

someday

*stares longingly, a single tear*

someday

This, all the god damn time. No one wants to pick it up. Hot Potato, Christ.

I know right. When I was going for S rank for the first time I lost 2 in a row like that to lose my progress. Got it next time without an issue but at the time was pretty frustrating as it was my first shot at S rank.

Lkr

i used to think splat zones was my best mode for ranked. now i can't win a single game in it and much prefer tower control and rainmaker

what is the deal with the menu being overrun with a debate over LGBTQ people. yesterday i saw someone claiming that there are only two genders, today i see things saying LGBT people are people too. i'm not one of those "keep your politics or diversity out of my games!" people but it just seems odd to see these messages

bzgMcQK.jpg

Captain N joined! Lol

Do we know how much the Special Up ability helps Ink Armor? It seems like a good ability if your Special is Ink Armor as it helps 4 people (assuming you use it at the right time) instead of just one.

Cyanity

Banned
i used to think splat zones was my best mode for ranked. now i can't win a single game in it and much prefer tower control and rainmaker

what is the deal with the menu being overrun with a debate over LGBTQ people. yesterday i saw someone claiming that there are only two genders, today i see things saying LGBT people are people too. i'm not one of those "keep your politics or diversity out of my games!" people but it just seems odd to see these messages

There's a sizeable overlap between artists with twitter accounts who play Nintendo games and the LGBTQ community. There's a lot of anti-LGBTQ sentiment going around the country right now as well, so it makes sense that you'd be seeing posts reflecting the frustration some of these people have been feeling. Plus, the Splatoon community can't pass up a good trend.

Do we know how much the Special Up ability helps Ink Armor? It seems like a good ability if your Special is Ink Armor as it helps 4 people (assuming you use it at the right time) instead of just one.

It's a just a minuscule increase in duration. Barely a second longer. Damage intake stays the same so it's not very useful.

Lkr

There's a sizeable overlap between artists with twitter accounts who play Nintendo games and the LGBTQ community. There's a lot of anti-LGBTQ sentiment going around the country right now as well, so it makes sense that you'd be seeing posts reflecting the frustration some of these people have been feeling. Plus, the Splatoon community can't pass up a good trend.

how do you even get a message in the game? tbh the one that was saying that there are only two genders pissed me off a bit so i'm glad that there are rebuttal messages up today

Wow
So doing rainmaker still in B rank. Other team had the count down to 5 we were at 47. Opponents about to dunk rainmaker I shoot him out the air. Opponents all super jump to the spot we wipe them. Teammate picks up rainmaker I swim ahead wipe the team out multiple times on the way. Teammates lose rainmaker I make two last kills and pick it up and dunk for the win. What a comeback.

watershed

Banned
Wow
So doing rainmaker still in B rank. Other team had the count down to 5 we were at 47. Opponents about to dunk rainmaker I shoot him out the air. Opponents all super jump to the spot we wipe them. Teammate picks up rainmaker I swim ahead wipe the team out multiple times on the way. Teammates lose rainmaker I make two last kills and pick it up and dunk for the win. What a comeback.

Even in ranked mode, I think a lot of players are still learning when to super jump and when not to. Even worse is when your own teammate picks up the rainmaker and then literally runs backwards towards your own goal. Hilarious, but terrible.

69wpm

Nothing better when you have a three on one advantage, with the one in their Spawn area, in Tower Control and nobody will jump on the Tower.
This happened to me yesterday. Came all the way from the spawn when I noticed nobody was on the tower and the charger guy was right next to it.

Biske

Oh, maybe when everyone leaves without picking up the rainmaker, lol.

Ah but don't you understand, if you kill that one guy, you'll have a PERFECT CHANCE TO WIN. Why even bother without that.

It's intensely frustrating.

Fight like hell to pop the rainmaker shield, then not grab it.

Fight like hell to get on the tower and jump off when you are at a check point.

I sometimes wonder what game my team is playing, cause its sure as fuck not the one I'm playing.

Kinokou

Seems like there is no level above superfresh for weapons, but the flag does change from silver to gold at some point at or before 50 and goes to a max of 99 if we trust in these squidboard people.

I'm honestly disappointed. But at least it's somehow realistic for everyone to take max every weapon to superfresh at 15.

Pikma

Banned
I just had some fucker in my team doing absolutely nothing in a ranked match, just fucking around our base. Of course I reported that piece of crap.

ss-hikaru

Phew just caught up on OT2. Apologies if these questions were covered in OT1 but could someone tell me:
-How does ink armour work? It protects up to a certain amount of damage?
-Can you eventually unlock more slots on gear with money?

nah man current heavy is nerfed compared to its former self.

I haven't been playing it much since I've been trying out all the (non-charger) weapons... What did they do to it? o_O

Branduil

To be fair, cannons are a lot of fun.

I've once manned two cannons and also played the egg-picker, I'm that much a show-off.

In theory, the best strategy is two squids in cannons(one on top, one switching between the ones on the bottom). In practice someone almost always fucks up.

Pikma

Banned
I need some balance changes, I'm tired of facing the same fucking team every time

Tentatek Splattershot/Dualie Squelchers
Octobrush
Tri-Slosher
Rapid Blaster/Custom Blaster

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I need some balance changes, I'm tired of facing the same fucking team every time

Tentatek Splattershot/Dualie Squelchers
Octobrush
Tri-Slosher
Rapid Blaster/Custom Blaster

Add the Firefin Splatterscope and the N-Zap '85 and yeah.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Man I've changed so much from when S1 came out. I literally smashed my gamepad out of frustration with teammates in turf war. Now I'm just like "oh well" and just do my best. If I feel like I'm getting frustrated I just quit. I'm still not sure I'm ready for ranked though.

I'm usually OK. I even approach Ranked with a turfwar mindset that loses and rank don't matter.

Saying that I sometimes can get annoyed when I have a team that is really acting stupid. I had to watch after I splatted three out of four of the opposing team before being splatted myself as the rest of my team literally let the one remaining opponent take the rain maker unopposed to the goal. It was three vs one. How do you do that? It was also on The Reef, they could have just grabbed it and ran off the ledge so easily! Urgh.

Jintor

Man I've changed so much from when S1 came out. I literally smashed my gamepad out of frustration with teammates in turf war. Now I'm just like "oh well" and just do my best. If I feel like I'm getting frustrated I just quit. I'm still not sure I'm ready for ranked though.

yeah this feels like me nowdays. i still get a bit mad but it doesn't tend to last too long.

it does last long enough to shitpost on gaf occasionally i guess

Okay when i buy an item on Splatnet (with a better main ability) that replaces the same item i already hold in my inventory, i get asked if i want to replace the old one.

However! Why when im in the shops in the square, and i see an item i want that has an ability that is more desirable to me than the item i currently own, it tells me they are 'sold out' and wont give me no prompt to replace.

Is there a way to ditch gear we bought so we can replace it? Or is the Splatnet app the only way we can do that right now?

watershed

Banned
Is it just me or is Moray Towers the worst stage for Splatzones? Win or lose, it is consistently the most one-sided matches. Camping is so easy and any team with a decent charger is like auto win.

totowhoa

Banned
Is it just me or is Moray Towers the worst stage for Splatzones? Win or lose, it is consistently the most one-sided matches. Camping is so easy and any team with a decent charger is like auto win.

That ink line in the middle of the map is sooo useful for my brush on splat zones. Death from above! And easy access to both zones.

Been playing this game slowly, but just one more mode that I need to get to S on. Then the real grind begins

13ruce

Banned
My Squid fresh enough tho?
r0XYStN.jpg

bBEdbc3.jpg

These are the 2 outfits i rock.
Same for whenever i play as a boy squid but then with short pants.

rudger

Had my first game last night where I was actively fighting against my team. It was like they didn't understand Rainmaker or they just didn't know the Humpback level. But how does this happen at B+!

They would capture the Rainmaker and then head left. Trapping hemselves and putting the Rainmaker further into our territory. Repeatedly! I would This Way! But eventually gave up, waited for a teammate to die, took the Rainmaker myself and got us further into the other side before time ran out. Proud and frustrated.

Jackano

So can we agree the matchmaking is still awful? Or isn't much people playing this game at some specific moments in the day (especially in PAL land)?

Sometimes it works flawlessly but in turf wars most of the time I wait >1 minute between each game. Also the level of the people seems random (although it's probably due to the lack of players).

And that damn timer, can someone explain it to me? Seeing it randomly going upward drives me insane.

Doorman

So can we agree the matchmaking is still awful? Or isn't much people playing this game at some specific moments in the day (especially in PAL land)?

Sometimes it works flawlessly but in turf wars most of the time I wait >1 minute between each game. Also the level of the people seems random (although it's probably due to the lack of players).

And that damn timer, can someone explain it to me? Seeing it randomly going upward drives me insane.

The timer goes back up any time somebody new joins the lobby. Had it happen last night that a level 8 snuck in at literally the last second to save a lobby that otherwise was about to die with only 3 people in it. That bought enough time for it to eventually refill and get a match going.

After last night I'm currently going through one of the more defeatest phases I've encountered with this game. I think it's best if I stay away from GAF turf lobbies for a while and stick with the other garbage-tier scrubs that are more my level.

Jintor

imho you play with gaf you'll get rekt for a while but when you come back to your 'normal' level you'll find everything a breeze

it's like weighted training clothes or some shit

Top Bottom