• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Junior has also been outspoken for years about the Confederate flag being at NASCAR events and that it shouldn't be there. I'm not shocked that he's in support of these guys.

From all accounts, Dale Sr. also wasn't a fan of it but wasn't very vocal about it (either because he read the room and knew he'd get crucified for speaking out, or just because he thought it was a personal opinion).

Really? That's fucking rad

Night.Ninja

Banned
Dam never heard of nick wright but he went in so much truth

The last clip
IMG_0085.png

Could have shed a tear

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Meanwhile:

https://deadspin.com/fans-cheer-bruce-maxwell-in-first-at-bat-since-kneeling-1818770737

In his first plate appearance since he began kneeling for the national anthem, Oakland A’s catcher Bruce Maxwell was greeted with a round of cheers from the crowd as he went to bat in the second inning of tonight’s game against the Mariners.

This came after the marching band for the Oakland Unified School District, tasked with performing the anthem tonight, did so almost entirely while taking a knee themselves.

Grug

weak ass shit from the cowboys, seriously

I thought it was pretty decent actually. They still used the platform of Monday Night Football to make a statement as a whole organisation. "Weak" would have been a "conscience vote" approach where only a few knelt with Jerreh nowhere to be seen. Decent statement from an organisation known as "America's Team".

Let's not get up our own asses with an all-or-nothing purity benchmark on this stuff. It was a great week for the NFL as a whole. Congrats to them all.

Grug

Yeah, it will probably deliver some short term political gains for him, but I'm not convinced over the long term.

The conversations will keep happening and more minds will be swayed for the better.

It's a quick win for a desperate Trump but if he keeps racking up the Ls everywhere else, it will mean nothing. He's just giving a quick dirty handjob to his base to ease the tension and let them (falsely) believe they are the good guys.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I thought it was pretty decent actually. They still used the platform of Monday Night Football to make a statement as a whole organisation. "Weak" would have been a "conscience vote" approach where only a few knelt with Jerreh nowhere to be seen. Decent statement from an organisation known as "America's Team".

Let's not get up our own asses with an all-or-nothing purity benchmark on this stuff. It was a great week for the NFL as a whole. Congrats to them all.
Yep, I thought what the Cowboys did was perfectly fine and it made a statement in a way they felt would be heard..and at the same time not immediately attacked or ignored.

And even with kneeling BEFORE the anthem there were still some idiots calling their method disrespectful to the flag and anthem...at that point people just want to be mad and there’s no intelligent discourse to be had.

Armadilo

Banned
So when are they going to sign Kaepernick? Isn't that what has to happen next? Everything that has occurred to go back in a circle to the guy that started it all ??

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Yep, I thought what the Cowboys did was perfectly fine and it made a statement in a way they felt would be heard..and at the same time not immediately attacked or ignored.

And even with kneeling BEFORE the anthem there were still some idiots calling their method disrespectful to the flag and anthem...at that point people just want to be mad and there’s no intelligent discourse to be had.

I like this rush to find some sort of "symbolic unification" that is a "protest" that doesn't upset people too much. lol.

Kaepernick must just be smh. I look around the NFL and I see a lot of really weak gestures (dallas included) with a lot of confused people who are trying to balance what they believe with what people might think and how that might affect their employment or sponsors. Pathetic.

mjp2417

Banned

weekev

Banned
So when are they going to sign Kaepernick? Isn't that what has to happen next? Everything that has occurred to go back in a circle to the guy that started it all ??
The cynic in me thinks that whoever signs him will do so to sell football jerseys. He's garnered so much interest he would easily become one of the most sought after tops for those willing to show support.

tapedeck

I like this rush to find some sort of "symbolic unification" that is a "protest" that doesn't upset people too much. lol.

Kaepernick must just be smh. I look around the NFL and I see a lot of really weak gestures (dallas included) with a lot of confused people who are trying to balance what they believe with what people might think and how that might affect their employment or sponsors. Pathetic.
Give me a fucking break.

They had a team discussion about showing unity and as a team that’s what they decided to do. The goal is to bring people together..and more importantly send a message to those who normally wouldn’t hear it.

offtopic

Give me a fucking break.

They had a team discussion about showing unity and as a team that’s what they decided to do. The goal is to bring people together..and more importantly send a message to those who normally wouldn’t hear it.

Yeah as a team they decided to avoid the issue to the best of their ability. Next time they'll do something REALLY edgy like hold a press conference. They are protecting the NFL shield but what they are doing really has zero to do with what started this.

Weak.

Grug

Yeah as a team they decided to avoid the issue to the best of their ability. Next time they'll do something REALLY edgy like hold a press conference. They are protecting the NFL shield but what they are doing really has zero to do with what started this.

Weak.

You're so pure. <3

tapedeck

Weak.
Uh huh...

Answer this question honestly..what message about equality and racial injustice would reach right wing hard liners more effectively? Which is the ENITIRE POINT of these protests to begin with..

A. The whole team kneeling during the anthem?

B. The whole team kneeling before the anthem to force those right wingers to actually think about the act instead of immediately getting mad and ignoring/dissmissimg the message cause MURICA.

offtopic

Uh huh...

Answer this question honestly..what message about equality and racial injustice would reach right wing hard liners more effectively? Which is the ENITIRE POINT of these protests to begin with..

B. The whole team kneeling before the anthem to force those right wingers to actually think about the act instead of immediately getting mad and ignoring/dissmissimg the message cause MURICA.

A. And it isn't close.

I also don't have a problem with those who want to stand. The national anthem doesn't have to mean the same thing to every player. Why have an 'act of unity' when different players feel different ways about what the anthem means and what they are trying to communicate.

cdyhybrid

Uh huh...

A. Because they'll ignore B. and pretend nothing is wrong.

tapedeck

A. And it isn't close.
You must have been living under a rock for the past 2 months if you really believe this. The act of kneeling during the anthem has become more about an ‘Us Versus Them’ war then about bringing attention to equal rights. People simply ignore the message and get mad..you can’t even argue this.

I also don't have a problem with those who want to stand. The national anthem doesn't have to mean the same thing to every player. Why have an 'act of unity' when different players feel different ways about what the anthem means and what they are trying to communicate.
Because that’s what the team decided to do.

Uh huh...

Where's any evidence that B is true?

Where's evidence that B is actually even about the issues Kaep raised and not more just a "statement" against what Trump said.

offtopic

You must have been living under a rock for the past 2 months if you really believe this. The act of kneeling during the anthem has become more about an ‘Us Versus Them’ war then about bringing attention to equal rights. People simply ignore the message and get mad..you can’t even argue this.

Because that’s what the team decided to do.

And next week they'll have a rally followed up with the players sitting in a circle singing Kumbaya, My Lord with plenty of time to stand up before the anthem is played.

Yes, weak...and meaningless. Trump is smiling.

ISee

Could someone please give me a short summary/explanation what's happening here?

As far as I understand some athletes are kneeling down for the us anathema. They do this to protest against trump? While other people think they disrespect the flag? (By kneeling down in respect?) From an outsider perspective there is a big question mark on my face.

tapedeck

Where's any evidence that B is true?
None yet..the Cowboys message just happened.

But there’s tons of evidence A is failing, just look at all the super mad people this weekend.

And next week they'll have a rally followed up with the players sitting in a circle singing Kumbaya, My Lord with plenty of time to stand up before the anthem is played.

Yes, weak...and meaningless. Trump is smiling.
So you’re not gonna respond to my post with any substance, good talk I guess.

None yet..the Cowboys message just happened.

But there’s tons of evidence A is failing, just look at all the super mad people this weekend.

So you’re not gonna respond to my post, good talk I guess.

I generally don't believe in tailoring my protests around what pisses off conservatives the least.

tapedeck

I generally don't believe in tailoring my protests around what pisses off conservatives the least.
Now you’re just being daft, but I’ll respond..

You’re basically choosing ‘keeping the message pure’..(or something).. over attempting progress. It’s attitudes like this that keep things as divided as they are.

Top Bottom