• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

Not fun? I think we played different games. The IA I played was a blast, and corrected a lot of the problems that 2017 suffered from.
It had way fewer enemies and everything was missing based in the maps. None of the guns felt very fun to use and the whole game just moved like molasses.

I'm not putting EDF anything on a "bad framerate is fine because it's charming" pedestal like some do, but there's a certain flow to the games that IA ruined. It felt every bit like a western studio just took it, looked at its surface qualities, then said "we can do better" and churned it out. I was even looking forward to it.

It had way fewer enemies and everything was missing based in the maps. None of the guns felt very fun to use and the whole game just moved like molasses.

I'm not putting EDF anything on a "bad framerate is fine because it's charming" pedestal like some do, but there's a certain flow to the games that IA ruined. It felt every bit like a western studio just took it, looked at its surface qualities, then said "we can do better" and churned it out. I was even looking forward to it.

Not really looking to derail the thread, but fewer enemies isn't something that actually affects anything because it isn't fewer total enemies, it's fewer enemies on screen at a time. IA continues to push hordes onto you, though, so while you may not have 30 ants, for example, on screen at once, you have a steady flow of 20. At best, this is am aesthetic,and does not compromise gameplay.

I found several of the guns to be great fun to use, especially in the Battle and Jet classes. There were too many useless guns, true, but then, I haven't found an EDF that wasn't saddled with scads of useless weapons.

Not sure how you feel it "moved like molasses", given that it provided a sprint button, which let you cross areas significantly faster than the Sandlot EDFs. Hell, merely being able to dodge in any direction was a significant improvement that sped up the pace, as you no longer had a massive aim offset from only being able to dodge left or right.

In fact, the only real back step it took was the lack of settings. Though I think they managed to make the handful of maps in the game feel a bit more diverse by having them employ much larger play areas than the Sandlot bunch. While the Sandlot maps are bigger, you don't fight much outside the areas that enemies spawn. IA felt like it could spread out the fight over longer periods, as opposed to the quick skirmish model of most of Sandlot's games. 2017 and 2025 still win for sheer diversity, though.

Also, Tactical in IA can at least solo stuff. Air Raiders are practically useless by themselves.

For those not already in the know, I thought that I'd post a quick update in the form of a pictorial overview for the immediate state of the Xbox One's backwards compatibility program.

The current state of the amazing Software Engineers in the Xbox One backwards compatibility team:

LTZSlRW.gif

The current state of the interns and work experience kids at Microsoft who are responsible for the licensing and release of third party backwards compatible titles for the Xbox One (no Burnout or PGR for you!):

KhgzXbd.jpg

The current state of Phil Spencer:

3F21tMv.gif

The current state of Xbox One Gamers waiting on... Well, anything:

d2IugRb.gif

The current state of irrational Xbox One Haters (commonly referred to as "casual gamers" or "PS4 fanboys", although they may exist under differing monikers):

E9SYIWn.gif

And the current state of New Xbox One X Owners:

jjo43yq.jpg

Ravi_elite

Banned
Microsoft needs to seriously understand something here

I will NOT be buying an xbox one X if I cant even play my favorite games

I want to play the original Saints Row again

I was so hype about backwards compatability , and the way they talk backwards compatability it almost came off as if all major titles would be getting BC...

here we are today... the most highly voted games do not get backwards compatability, and my favorite game sits at the top of page 3 of the voting charts and doesnt get touched either...

they could be enhancing the loved older games for the Xbox One X further enticing the reason to have one....

like I said ..if I cant even play the games I want to play....there is no reason to buy a damn xbox one X

my xbox one is just a damn netflix media player as it stands..every game on it is just a microtransaction lootbox of shit

TheBlack12elve

Neo Member
So what's up with MK9? We got one of Boon's famous trolling comments on it and injustice back in January, but injustice was released soon after. So do I just need to give up on it at this point?

Laserdisk

For those not already in the know, I thought that I'd post a quick update in the form of a pictorial overview for the immediate state of the Xbox One's backwards compatibility program.

The current state of the amazing Software Engineers in the Xbox One backwards compatibility team:

LTZSlRW.gif

The current state of the interns and work experience kids at Microsoft who are responsible for the licensing and release of third party backwards compatible titles for the Xbox One (no Burnout or PGR for you!):

KhgzXbd.jpg

The current state of Phil Spencer:

3F21tMv.gif

The current state of Xbox One Gamers waiting on... Well, anything:

d2IugRb.gif

The current state of irrational Xbox One Haters (commonly referred to as "casual gamers" or "PS4 fanboys", although they may exist under differing monikers):

E9SYIWn.gif

And the current state of New Xbox One X Owners:

jjo43yq.jpg
That's way too much stupid in one post.

YoshiMax

I was so hype about backwards compatability , and the way they talk backwards compatability it almost came off as if all major titles would be getting BC...

here we are today... the most highly voted games do not get backwards compatability, and my favorite game sits at the top of page 3 of the voting charts and doesnt get touched either...

they could be enhancing the loved older games for the Xbox One X further enticing the reason to have one....

like I said ..if I cant even play the games I want to play....there is no reason to buy a damn xbox one X

my xbox one is just a damn netflix media player as it stands..every game on it is just a microtransaction lootbox of shit

No worries thanks for letting us know.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just think it's dumb to pair BC games to a new release like that. I'd want to play the new crackdown then, not the old stuff.

I agree. But "buy new game early and get to play old games now" is probably what they are going to push as a pre-order incentive. Once they set an actual release date for Crackdown I'm sure we will find out what the BC plan is.

RAIDEN1

Just started Metal Gear 2 HD after the recent purchase....but on the XBOX 360!.....Clearly Konami are in no hurry to get this on Xbox-1/X...

3rdman

Question from a new X owner. I've been installing some BC titles (H3, Black, Crimson Skies) using original disks but it seems that the game still has to download its entire contents...why is that?

Wouldn't a small patch be more efficient?

Question from a new X owner. I've been installing some BC titles (H3, Black, Crimson Skies) using original disks but it seems that the game still has to download its entire contents...why is that?

Wouldn't a small patch be more efficient?

Because it’s packaging the game together with emulation I believe.

RootCause

You guys think we are getting a batch of games for Christmas?

Just started Metal Gear 2 HD after the recent purchase....but on the XBOX 360!.....Clearly Konami are in no hurry to get this on Xbox-1/X...
They added the wrong game. Now we're screwed. :p
Man, I'd love to play Snake Eater, and Sons of Liberty in 1080P with boosted framerate. Can't say I care about PW, but it would be nice to have that one too.

splattered

I know it wouldn't technically be BC, but I REALLY wish we would get a port of MGS Twin Snakes... I think the first one is a PS exclusive? So Twin Snakes prob the only way around that... :( I did pick up 2/3/PW in the recent sale. I have 4/5 on PS4 so collection is a little fragmented but that's ok.

RootCause

I know it wouldn't technically be BC, but I REALLY wish we would get a port of MGS Twin Snakes... I think the first one is a PS exclusive? So Twin Snakes prob the only way around that... :( I did pick up 2/3/PW in the recent sale. I have 4/5 on PS4 so collection is a little fragmented but that's ok.
I have the entire series on PS(and all the available ones on steam), but started getting the games on 360 just in case they get bc support.

I love Twin Snakes, my favorite rendition of the first game by far. The game was made exclusively for the Game Cube. Dunno if Silicon Knights have final say on the possibility of a remaster, and the platforms to release it on.

Really would love to have a 4k remastered collection (including MGS4) available for X1/PS4/PC.

rmatheso

Debbie Downer on the XNA based games, according to the Eurogamer article, the only platform that doesn't work with back compat is the XNA games.

"Stillwell confirms that this isn't a problem for the emulation layer and in fact, the only thing that isn't supported is XNA. "

This sucks, as the following games use XNA that I love:

Dishwasher Dead Samurai 1 & 2
Charlie Murder
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Kung-Fu Strike

Most XBLIG games use XNA and they said they were looking into the preservation.

:(

That's not such a crazy thing to want. I mean, when the X360 XBLA program was in full swing we got many classic games from former generations brought over. I really don't know why MS doesn't reignite the program again. It'd be great to see some older titles being given a new lease of life and preserved on a more modern platform.

EBE

So I know none of you guys probably care but Perfect Dark Zero feels waaayyy better now. I have no idea when this was patched but it actually plays kind of like a fps now. I would know, I played this a ton before rare replay and around the launch of that game, too. The aiming is still a bit funky but that's inherent to the game, I think. Anyway.

It would be interesting for DF to revisit these older bc games, but I know there's no time for it. I mean, we all know how much better Halo Reach and the gears of wars games got, but what about other titles that weren't in the best of shape in the early days of BC?

Leonidas

So I know none of you guys probably care but Perfect Dark Zero feels waaayyy better now. I have no idea when this was patched but it actually plays kind of like a fps now. I would know, I played this a ton before rare replay and around the launch of that game, too. The aiming is still a bit funky but that's inherent to the game, I think. Anyway.

It would be interesting for DF to revisit these older bc games, but I know there's no time for it. I mean, we all know how much better Halo Reach and the gears of wars games got, but what about other titles that weren't in the best of shape in the early days of BC?

Are you playing it on the S or the X? Wonder if that makes a difference...

MilkyJoe

All but 2 of my favourite Xbox 360 games are on BC :eek:D

Microtransaction loot box of shit?

Never used or bought a loot box in my life. Jees the cards are stacked against you, buddy.

Lort

Banned

Blank space for effect ......

Microsoft needs to understand something? How about YOU need to understand somethinh... they have said more times than i remember they have technically run all the games in the emulator .. and that its licensing normally that prevents the top games from being released not generally any technical reason... please dont make them say this another 50 times.

This is obvious as RDR, GTA, Halos, Mass effect etc all which use low level tricks more than other games all run on backwards compatibility.

More blank space for effect...

The games with lot boxes are all multi platform.. on PC and Ps4. I presume you dont play them there as well and blame Valve and Sony for your deep misunderstanding of what your talking about.

Its a pity you dont try Sunset overdrive, Ori, PUBG, Gears, Horizon, Forza, Halo or the hundres of cross platform games or the hundres of 360 games on your game console .. you might have fun .. although im guessing the issues are yours not any game consoles.

rmatheso

The 360 enhanced games have been incredible.

It would be an incredible Xmas if MS dropped a bunch on the 25th.

I agree. I am supersampling to 1080p and Gears of War 3 just looks insane. So much so that I don't want to play anymore non-enhanced 360 games. Thanks a lot Microsoft for ruining things.

GEARSX1.png

Major Nelson - "Sniper Elite V2, Far Cry 2 and Driver San Francisco (available on disc or digitally if previously purchased) are coming to Xbox One Backward Compatibility today"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome to see Far Cry 2 there, it's on sale this week too!

Nice. Is Far Cry 2 worth getting?

I loved the game back in the day. It's not perfect as there are some annoyances such as the respawning checkpoint guards, and if you've already played later games in the series I'm sure they have ironed out some of the issues, but for me the setting in FC2 was enjoyable and compelling. If you don't have a PC, I would say that this version is worth getting for the $6 it's currently on-sale for.

splattered

Could have sworn I bought in a previous sale (I did FC3/Blood) but doesn't appear that I also grabbed FC2... welp, just bought since it's only $6. Can't wait to play through this one again!

Top Bottom