• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's pretty meh.

HJguTl.jpg

The only moving bit of the theme are the trees or bushes or whatever outside the window.

Seems to me that the ideal dynamic theme would be just the leaves rustling, from the opening of the trailer. Maybe they'll release that one in the future.

SamuraiX-

Seems to me that the ideal dynamic theme would be just the leaves rustling, from the opening of the trailer. Maybe they'll release that one in the future.

That would've been way better.

Granted at this point in time they don't really have much to work with. I hope they just hold off on the dynamic themes until after the game is released.

So is the girl modeled and voice overed by Ellen Page?

Even if they did base her look and her voice exactly on Ellen Page, Ellen Page wouldn't be able to sue them for it, right? All it would take is a disclaimer at the start of the game.

Eg South Park features loads of celebrity cartoons doing embarrassing things and never get sued.

It's interesting. In the future when all human characters in games are based on real people since they'll be photorealistic, games could star real actors/celebrities all the time ala LA Noire. The Last Of Us 2 (PS4) will probably star a Kristen Stewart lookalike character called Kirsten.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They're getting better at themes though... keeping the image dark enough that icons still remain readable.

So many themes are released that make the XMB nearly unreadable...

Even if they did base her look and her voice exactly on Ellen Page, Ellen Page wouldn't be able to sue them for it, right? All it would take is a disclaimer at the start of the game.

Eg South Park features loads of celebrity cartoons doing embarrassing things and never get sued.

It's interesting. In the future when all human characters in games are based on real people since they'll be photorealistic, games could star real actors/celebrities all the time ala LA Noire. The Last Of Us 2 (PS4) will probably star a Kristen Stewart lookalike character called Kirsten.

The resemblance to Page isn't near enough to get them into hot water... not even close. And honestly I suspect the similarities to be coincidental. I imagine character designers pull from a number of references. And they have certain goals in mind they're trying to hit. Try to imagine, starting from scratch, a young character that is tomboyish but not ugly, caucasian, brunette, and not overly sexualized... if you don't end up with something close to Ellen Page I'd be surprised. Page is popular because she is plain and still kind of attractive (I'm honestly not a huge fan of hers, but I get some people think she's pretty).

It's possible ND designers purposefully designed the character after a known actress with geek-bait appeal... but I'll give them a little more credit than that.

ND moving on to make a zombie movie sounds like a bad joke. It's as if they don't understand that they are always on the bandwagon too late, just to be sure it gets driven into the ground.

Does everyone seriously not remember them driving platformers into the ground with not one but two separate trilogies? Guys, crash bandicoot and jax were WAY different.

Took-an-Arrow-to-the-Knee_b2ab193e4dca26638174a76ae948c510.jpg

rataplein

in my mind when they started to talk with the art guys they said "yeah, a young normally looking girl" and they may have said "a ellen paige or older abigail brislin" and the artist took it literal.
or they didnt give him any comparisons with real life people... and when the guy presented the concept, everyone laughed. and little by little ,like a snowball getting bigger, the concept stayed, ans the start to call her ellie

Evolved1

in my mind when they started to talk with the art guys they said "yeah, a young normally looking girl" and they may have said "a ellen paige or older abigail brislin" and the artist took it literal.
or they didnt give him any comparisons with real life people... and when the guy presented the concept, everyone laughed. and little by little ,like a snowball getting bigger, the concept stayed, ans the start to call her ellie

They've explained the genesis of her name... and it's nothing to do with Ellen Page.

Just another coincidence.

I wonder why they decided not to announced this at E3?

That was Uncharted's time.

I wonder why they decided not to announced this at E3?

New IP could get lost in all the commotion that is E3, this game seemed to get more attention than everything else shown at the VGA's combined. Can't remember the last new IP that got this much attention so shortly after it was announced.

Evolved1

Next E3 will be TLoU and then Uncharted (or whatever the other team is working on for PS4) the following E3... it's pretty amazing to think ND is potentially going to have something new to show every E3.

0_o

Loudninja

To hype Uncharted 3...

They wanted a bigger audience. I can't imagine it would have received more attention if they debuted it there.

New IP could get lost in all the commotion that is E3, this game seemed to get more attention than everything else shown at the VGA's combined. Can't remember the last new IP that got this much attention so shortly after it was announced.
I agree with all this, but I think a new IP form ND woudl have got plenty of attention like it is now lol.

For whatever reason they made a good choice.

Next E3 will be TLoU and then Uncharted (or whatever the other team is working on for PS4) the following E3... it's pretty amazing to think ND is potentially going to have something new to show every E3.

0_o
I really doubt Team 1 will announced anything else for a long time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
They've explained the genesis of her name... and it's nothing to do with Ellen Page.

Just another coincidence.

That was Uncharted's time.

I thought you guys were kind of exaggerating this, then I watched the trailer for the first time....unbelievable. It's like they cloned her without permission, ha. Kind of creepy. A bit distracting too since I know she has nothing to do with this.

Evolved1

I thought you guys were kind of exaggerating this, then I watched the trailer for the first time....unbelievable. It's like they cloned her without permission, ha. Kind of creepy. A bit distracting too since I know she has nothing to do with this.

I've watched the trailer enough times now that I don't think the two are really that similar. At first, yeah... but not anymore. My brain has made a clear distinction.

There's a resemblance, some similarity, but if a ND artist said they didn't reference the actor for the design I'd believe them 100%.

Strike

I remember when Katherine Marlowe was revealed for UC3 people kept making comparisons to Helen Mirren and that eventually stopped once we got more info. The same thing will happen with this. I just hope ND doesn't get the wrong message and decides to make unnecessary changes to the character designs before then. It's fine the way it is.

mckmas8808

Banned
I remember when Katherine Marlowe was revealed for UC3 people kept making comparisons to Helen Mirren and that eventually stopped once we got more info. The same thing will happen with this. I just hope ND doesn't get the wrong message and decides to make unnecessary changes to the character designs before then. It's fine the way it is.

Yeah like they did with another female lead in their games. Why did they change Elena?

Evolved1

I think part of it is that they continue to improve their tools. They made a huge improvement to Chloe... she went from zombie eyes in UC2 to normal looking human being in UC3.

I imagine as they improve their tech they reiterate their characters. Nate changes in every game too.

nice to hear that the director himself implied exploration and scarce of ammo,so it's not just us jumping to conclusion based on teaser trailer. also nice that they just shot down the assumption that it might be co-op because there are 2 characters. not like I'm doubting that this is gonna be single player game, but there are some people who jump to conclusion that it might be co-op game.

From that interview, Joel seems similar to John Marston from Red Dead Redemption. Plus The last quarter of RDR really reminds me of what ND is going for with The Last of Us.

Fjordson

Neat interview. Definitely like the focus not being on the infected. I love post-apocalyptic settings on their own without too much supernatural business, so it's good to hear them say that.

jackrubyn

I fought through the temptation of buying a PS3 when Killzone 2 launched, and the Little Big Planets, and the Uncharteds (primarilly 2 and 3). I really feel this is the game that's gonna tip me over (and probably be the only game I play on it, now that the lure of the previously mentioned games has faded).

I fought through the temptation of buying a PS3 when Killzone 2 launched, and the Little Big Planets, and the Uncharteds (primarilly 2 and 3). I really feel this is the game that's gonna tip me over (and probably be the only game I play on it, now that the lure of the previously mentioned games has faded).

Your loss, you will probably be able to get all the mentioned games for very cheap by the time tlou launches and they are all some of the best games this generation.

thuway

This is both sad and hilarious. I bought a wii again and had a chance to pick up a fuck ton of games. You are out right suggesting you won't play the other blockbuster critically acclaimed titles because there is no hype like in 2008? LOL

Evolved1

Nope, thanks!

It's interesting watching the mocap session... it's basically theater. A lot of pressure on the actors to sell everything in such an awkward environment... without even the benefit of costumes or basic set design. Just silly props and suits. Tough gig. Have to give them a lot of credit if it works out in the end and translates well in the cinematics.

Umm why? Cash strapped?

I hope the lure to play The Last Of Us will not have faded by the time you bring it home from the store.

jackrubyn

I didn't mean that they don't interest me now that the hype has faded, only that I myself get hyped easily, and after a while it often turns out that the anticipated second coming of Christ game was "only" a very good game. Might turn out to be the case with TLoU too.

I didn't mean that they don't interest me now that the hype has faded, only that I myself get hyped easily, and after a while it often turns out that the anticipated second coming of Christ game was "only" a very good game. Might turn out to be the case with TLoU too.

Do you not own any systems then? I cant imagine not owning a ps3 at this point.

Top Bottom