• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| On the backs of Titans we go!

AdamxAtnthony

Neo Member
So watching thsi game quite a bit I can not understand the high praise from journalists because it basically everything Polygon and co despise. Its sexualization of female characters and a real waifu collection loot game XD

Also man this game is Anime as fuck. Just yesterday I have seen a blade who is sitting on a bathtub XD

This game actually wants me to buy a switch because its so crazy it needs to be supported^^

I would imagine “playing” instead of “watching” makes all the difference.

Poppyseed

I'm holding off on playing this for a patch. The frame-rate issues especially due to the supposed memory leak - that needs a fix ASAP.

Chapter 3 and I'm still not sure I really understand Driver combos and why I get prompts from my party members on the sides of the screen that I can't trigger. Love the worlds of these games but the mechanics could really do with a tutorial screen. I remember Xenoblade having one.

ubiblu

Chapter 3 and I'm still not sure I really understand Driver combos and why I get prompts from my party members on the sides of the screen that I can't trigger. Love the worlds of these games but the mechanics could really do with a tutorial screen. I remember Xenoblade having one.

I just started Chapter 3 and still find battles to be slow, boring, and tedious. The general pattern of wait for six auto-attacks, chain cancels, and then work through combos is super monotonous and dull, but I understand that the battle system expands again in Chapter 3 to include special arts chains and orbs or something.

At this point, I avoid battles like the plague. I'm Level 22 and it takes 2 minutes to beat a Level 20 wolf despite being as efficient with cancels and chains as possible. I mean, come on. Bit stupid to make trash mobs sponges.

nowhat

At this point, I avoid battles like the plague. I'm Level 22 and it takes 2 minutes to beat a Level 20 wolf despite being as efficient with cancels and chains as possible. I mean, come on. Bit stupid to make trash mobs sponges.

I just got a Switch, have been playing this quite a bit and am at about where you're at (level 25 ATM) and I so have to concur. There is a lot to love in this game - the aesthetics are wonderful (if you are into anime - if not, you'll probably hate this), the soundtrack is god tier and the environments are beautiful (given the technical limitations). But the combat, while very solid as far as real-time JRPG systems go, can get so tedious. The formula seems to be:
  • Is the enemy much above your level? You will die.
  • Is the enemy much below your level? You will kill it in short order.
  • Is the enemy at around your level? You will grind it out, whether you like it or not.

Don't get me wrong, have been really enjoying it so far. But there definitely are some mechanical shortcomings (the grind and also navigation, which can be infuriating).

Giant Robo

Neo Member

You should do blade combos, they do lots of damage if you pull off a level 3 one.

This was confusing to me at the beginning but now I'm able to pull them off consistently. In case you missed from the tutorial, since you can't look up the info anymore, here's how:

Either you start an Art special of at least 1 with A or accept a special request from your teammates with ZR/ZL.

On the top right of the screen you'll see icons: from left to right, the marked icon is the current stage, level 1 since it's the start, and right next to it, top or bottom is the icon with elemental type that's needed for blade combo level 2. Either you pull off a special level 2 with your Arts of the right elemental type or your teammates do with ZR/ZL.

Pull off the right special level 2 Arts in time and you've performed a blade combo level 2. You'll see which elemental type level 3 arts you need to do for the 3rd and final blade combo, the finisher, in top right of the screen.

If a button lights up, either A, ZR or ZL, it will always be the right Arts special to continue the blade combo.

The catch is that if a mob survives it will take less damage from the same elemental finisher so mix the elemental attacks up. Having multiple blade with different elements bonded to characters give more blade combo options since you can switch between them with up, right and down on direction pad.

Next bit will come up later in the game but knowing about it early also speeds things up.

You can undo the finisher resistance by doing a chain attack by filling the party gauge, the 3 bars top left of screen. Press "+" and then you select which driver does an attack and do a button challenge. Here the key is to use elemental attacks different from the elemental the mob has become resistant to. Chain attacks can do loads of dmg to if you do them right.

Edit: Maybe also look into toppling and launching enemies, they take more dmg in those states and can't attack back. Mix them up with blade combo's for even more dmg.

Well is there a maximum affinity or maximum trust that once reached, cannot go further? How do we know this level is reached?

royox

I'll explain it with an example.

Look at this pic.
xenoblade-2-battles-continued-3.jpg

Look at the upper right corner, that Seal Blowdowns panel.

Ok let's start then:

A full combo in Xenoblade 2 is: A lvl1 + A lvl2 (or higher) + A lvl3 (or higher)

In the picture, the first FIRE element, the one at the left, means that somebody started the combo with a Fire LVL1 special.

Then it says that in order to keep going with the combo you have 2 choices, a lvl2 FIRE special or a LVL2 WATER special.

Now look again at the pic, you see there's a prompt for Rex at the left with 3 little balls? That means Rex has his next special attack ready to keep going with the combo and the 3 little balls mean he charged a lvl3 special. See Tora at the right? They are showing you he's charging his fire special but he still hasn't reached the level you need to keep going with the combo.

Now see at the bottom? There's Nia with another prompt. That means she has the Lvl2 Water special ready to keep going with the combo but following the lower path of the chart.

Now if Rex uses his combo he will unlock the upper path of the chart, that means that you will need a lvl3 (or higher) FIRE special or a LIGHT one. You will seal permanently one of the enemy's attacks if you hit him with the finisher.

ubiblu

You should do blade combos, they do lots of damage if you pull off a level 3 one.

Yeah mate, that’s not my problem at all. I can pull off combos with ease and the top right seal path is easy to interpret. My issue is why do I need to pull off two full Level 3 combos to kill a fucking dog. I’m two levels above the trash mob as well. What gives with the crappy HP imbalance?

Smasher89

Yeah mate, that’s not my problem at all. I can pull off combos with ease and the top right seal path is easy to interpret. My issue is why do I need to pull off two full Level 3 combos to kill a fucking dog. I’m two levels above the trash mob as well. What gives with the crappy HP imbalance?
im still early in the game, but has a decent setup that 1 hit kills stuff already close to my level. Are you sure you have got the affinity chart filled up and efficient items?

I had something that makes physical auto attacks 25% stronger, and the initial art 70% stronger, then use the equivalent to back slash to initiate a battle that often even ends there.
Thats how it worked in the area before where i was
the save Nia at the ship part guards got 1hitkilled mostly.

Dunki

I would imagine “playing” instead of “watching” makes all the difference.

The praise was based on how polygon downrates games because of sexualization of female characters not the game itself. Even watching the game looks fun because the cutscenes are so over the top that its stupid fun to watch.

But Xenoblades is also basically a gacha game which many people consider bad right now. Your strength is also totally based on "luck" of the draw. Yes you can not buy it with real money "yet" but the concept is the same.

Giant Robo

Neo Member

Hmm, have you also looked into using augments and weapon chips, leveling weapon arts, using pouch buffs etc? All that stuff adds up.

ajim

Just started chapter 3, ending of chapter 2 was awesome.

But how the hell do I get to umons shipyard? It's doing my head in. I follow the arrow and map (which is a terrible map, it serves almost no purpose lol) and just get led to dead ends. Halp

Giant Robo

Neo Member

But how the hell do I get to umons shipyard? It's doing my head in. I follow the arrow and map (which is a terrible map, it serves almost no purpose lol) and just get led to dead ends. Halp

I stopped looking at it as an/compass and more as a proximity meter. If you're close(within 50m) just press L and you'll see the dot on the map.

Zenaku

Making use of blade attacks is also important for damage. One setup I like is having Nia break an enemy, then I Down them with Homura's hookshot, and immediately switch to an axe blade to use their attack that does extra damage to downed enemies, followed by their rising attack.

It does a lot of damage as is, if I used accessories and cores to increase damage to downed or raised enemies, it'd make an even bigger difference.

Go to the first fast travel spot in the first town, where the shops are (I only know the Japanese names, sorry) and head out into the field. Stop when you see the big monkey, and wait for him to run off to the right.

Just behind him as he runs off is a big slope, run up there until you get to another lumberyard, and go left from there. Keep to a hard right and you should end up in the area with umons shipyard.

RPGCrazied

Does it ever rain in the first zone? Never seen it.

And I like how you can add rain effects to some cutscenes in the theater.

czk51

My side quests are piling up, most of the time I spend a little time looking for the ingredients, locations or whatever then give up as often in these games I stumble upon them later or I'm genuinely blocked until my blade has reached a certain level. Not fussed progressing the story but still feels like I'm missing out on sweet rewards or content.

OuterLimits

Just started playing the game. Really enjoy the world and early story so far. I also thought I would despise the voice acting, but so far I'm enjoying it.

My main concern will be the battle system later. I like Xeno X but felt I needed a college course to understand the battle system. Is this game even more complex than that?

I’m a little annoyed they didn’t sync the lip flaps with the English audio. It’s clearly them speaking in Japanese. It really does break the immersion for me. I did switch to Japanese and the voices are awesome but then there are parts while playing in the world where the characters talk to each other and there’s no subs for that.

jwillenn

I should step out for a minute to handle some things, but I am tired and just want to play XC2. ****'s going to have to wait until tomorrow or the next day.

RPGCrazied

Seriously, where is the rain? Played 20 hours, seen rain like twice in cutscenes. Never saw it again. Chapter 4, 22 hours in. Finally see some rain! Chapter 3 end cutscenes was bad ass.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just started playing the game. Really enjoy the world and early story so far. I also thought I would despise the voice acting, but so far I'm enjoying it.

My main concern will be the battle system later. I like Xeno X but felt I needed a college course to understand the battle system. Is this game even more complex than that?

It might take while to get what the combat is all about but once it does, to me its was most satisfying and "feel good" combat I experienced in JRPG.

Smasher89

Seriously, where is the rain? Played 20 hours, seen rain like twice in cutscenes. Never saw it again. Chapter 4, 22 hours in. Finally see some rain! Chapter 3 end cutscenes was bad ass.
Do you really want the rain?, monolith soft made the botw rain after all! Which was even second to a worse weather in X, the sporeweather was a nightmare until you learned how to play around it.

Finally left the first titan and got a bit into the second, the defense or hp sure skyrocketed on the enemies recently, doesnt get oneshotted by my combo anymore. That said, its the first combatsystem in the xenobladeseries where i feel there is actual interaction and a bit skill involved, a nice improvement!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Maybe they haf to cutback the rain because the visuals are more advanced. The same thing with GTA4 and GTA5

Zenaku

For some reason, it seems like the game doesn't like changing the weather. In the previous games the weather would change when you fast travel or change the time (sometimes it could take a few goes) but in X2 the weather likes to stay constant.

I had some bad weather in an area when I wanted to do some leveling, and nothing I did could get it to change. Fast travelling, sleeping at inns, resetting the system; the weather wouldn't budge, so I had to give up and train elsewhere.

ajim

Making use of blade attacks is also important for damage. One setup I like is having Nia break an enemy, then I Down them with Homura's hookshot, and immediately switch to an axe blade to use their attack that does extra damage to downed enemies, followed by their rising attack.

It does a lot of damage as is, if I used accessories and cores to increase damage to downed or raised enemies, it'd make an even bigger difference.

Go to the first fast travel spot in the first town, where the shops are (I only know the Japanese names, sorry) and head out into the field. Stop when you see the big monkey, and wait for him to run off to the right.

Just behind him as he runs off is a big slope, run up there until you get to another lumberyard, and go left from there. Keep to a hard right and you should end up in the area with umons shipyard.
Thank you! Found it!

IbukiLordSA

Would love to get a rare blade, chapter 3 and still nothing both common and rare cores have just given me common blades :(

RPGCrazied

Do you really want the rain?
Yeah, I think its a cool effect. One of the cooler thing in Xenoblade games is the weather system.

Maybe they haf to cutback the rain because the visuals are more advanced. The same thing with GTA4 and GTA5

Well, in the 2nd area, its like playing a different game then the first area. The framerate is pretty smooth even with the rain effects and large draw distance.

How does Tora get more blades?? Everyone else has 3 but him, still has one.

Just beat chapter 3 and games finally clicked for me. Have three rare attack blades with different elements for Rex and Nia has the one additional rare healer blade. Still a bit annoying blades can’t be transferred across more easily.

Friends, how is the exploration aspect of that game? I'm not a JRPG guy, so I'm not sure I'll like the combat system. But I might be interested in the exploration, since I like the artstyle. Are there some hidden locations and so on?

AdamxAtnthony

Neo Member
Friends, how is the exploration aspect of that game? I'm not a JRPG guy, so I'm not sure I'll like the combat system. But I might be interested in the exploration, since I like the artstyle. Are there some hidden locations and so on?

Yes. I think the exploration in this game is really well done. There is a lot to stumble on and many hidden locations to find.

Zenaku

I should have qualified also that the battle system takes a loooooong time to get used to
Yeah. I haven't had major problems with it throughout the game, but its only now I've truly got the hang of Fusion combos. I can manage 700k damage at the moment, gonna look into assist cores that can take that higher.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just finished chapter 2 how can i get rid of this annoying as hell thing ?

FightTest

I'll explain it with an example.

Look at this pic.
xenoblade-2-battles-continued-3.jpg

Look at the upper right corner, that Seal Blowdowns panel.

Ok let's start then:

A full combo in Xenoblade 2 is: A lvl1 + A lvl2 (or higher) + A lvl3 (or higher)

In the picture, the first FIRE element, the one at the left, means that somebody started the combo with a Fire LVL1 special.

Then it says that in order to keep going with the combo you have 2 choices, a lvl2 FIRE special or a LVL2 WATER special.

Now look again at the pic, you see there's a prompt for Rex at the left with 3 little balls? That means Rex has his next special attack ready to keep going with the combo and the 3 little balls mean he charged a lvl3 special. See Tora at the right? They are showing you he's charging his fire special but he still hasn't reached the level you need to keep going with the combo.

Now see at the bottom? There's Nia with another prompt. That means she has the Lvl2 Water special ready to keep going with the combo but following the lower path of the chart.

Now if Rex uses his combo he will unlock the upper path of the chart, that means that you will need a lvl3 (or higher) FIRE special or a LIGHT one. You will seal permanently one of the enemy's attacks if you hit him with the finisher.

This was incredibly helpful. Was in chapter 3 and didn't know most of that.

Now towards the end of chapter 4. I find myself just running and avoiding fights a lot. They just take so damn long. I don't even want to salvage because having to fight stupid fish monsters to open the chest is so tedious.

Late chapter 4 spoilers re: party comp.
Does Tora ever manage more than one element at a time? I've played a fair amount of Tiger and still no elemental plans.
I think I'm going to drop him as soon as I can because being stuck with just earth really limits my combo paths. But if I drop him I don't know who I'm supposed to make a tank as Nia's cat makes her the best healer and everyone else seems DPS-centric.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This was incredibly helpful. Was in chapter 3 and didn't know most of that.

Now towards the end of chapter 4. I find myself just running and avoiding fights a lot. They just take so damn long. I don't even want to salvage because having to fight stupid fish monsters to open the chest is so tedious.

Late chapter 4 spoilers re: party comp.
Does Tora ever manage more than one element at a time? I've played a fair amount of Tiger and still no elemental plans.
I think I'm going to drop him as soon as I can because being stuck with just earth really limits my combo paths. But if I drop him I don't know who I'm supposed to make a tank as Nia's cat makes her the best healer and everyone else seems DPS-centric.

Really!!? Once the combat clicked with me I just start hunting monster to fight with so I can practice blade combos and fusion combos and once i got better it the combat became so much more enjoyable.

That furry thing
Do you mean Tora or Azurda(Gramps)?

Just completed chapter
. Damn this game is incredible. Story/Characters are awesome and once you get the combat it's awesome as well. Can't wait to see how this game end

Top Bottom