• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Gvaz

Banned
Beat Assassin's Creed 1.

Good:
- City setup, the level layouts were very good, though at times it was easy enough to get lost because everything is the same colors and themes.
- The parkour was neat
- at times the graphics were neat
- at times the sound design was good

Bad:
- Combat. There was too much of a dichotomy between "one hit ko" and "whack em with your sword until you can button mash on an opening, also good luck winning any battles where you're fighting more than 3 dudes because they love to gangrape you"
- story was so fucking obvious and predictable, they hit you over the head with a hammer half the time, and frankly that's what it felt like playing this game
- If I hear "PLEASE SIR I NEED SOME MONEY IM POOR IM SICK AND IM HUNGRY :mad:" one more time I think I might just kill someone. Not to mention they literally get in your way is annoying as shit.
- he can't swim, oops you fell in the water, restart
- needs better autosaves, since you can't quicksave. Consoles!!!!
emot-argh.gif

- performance is absolutely terrible for the age of the game.
- the parkour mechanics were rather buggy. Sometimes I couldn't shuffle on the ledge to a viewpoint, had to shuffle around until it "took". Also with climbing seemed clunky because of this. Frustrating is when you're trying to get away from a group and nope, one little hit causes you to lose your footing.
- aw yeah time attack challenges and assassination challenges on a time limit can fuck right off. I just love failing because one dude saw me for half a second too long before I killed him
- walking around with desmond is tedious. No run button? What the fuck. He controls like a fucking trailer truck
- controlling desmond or Altair sometimes was frustrating. Walking around his actions feel too sluggish, while running at top speed on housetops feels fluid and responsive.
- lockon was frustrating and clunky entering and leaving lock.

Personal score:
1/5

Comments:

While I see where they were going with this, I simply did not enjoy the game as a whole. The only thing I liked the most was the setting and the parkour. The combat was probably the highest offender of making me upset, because it was either too easy or too difficult at first (because you can't dodge or counter or anything of value, you can't even fucking circle strafe properly) and being too frustrating when the game throws large groups at you to fight. Usually even when doing my best in those situations the game goes "okay these four people are going to sandwich him and slash him 8 times in the span of 3 seconds. Thanks."
If I had to sum this game up, I'd say pretty much it's "extremely frustrating, boring, and repetitive"

Gvaz said:
Beat Assassin's Creed 1.

Good:
- City setup, the level layouts were very good, though at times it was easy enough to get lost because everything is the same colors and themes.
- The parkour was neat
- at times the graphics were neat
- at times the sound design was good

Bad:
- Combat. There was too much of a dichotomy between "one hit ko" and "whack em with your sword until you can button mash on an opening, also good luck winning any battles where you're fighting more than 3 dudes because they love to gangrape you"
- story was so fucking obvious and predictable, they hit you over the head with a hammer half the time, and frankly that's what it felt like playing this game
- If I hear "PLEASE SIR I NEED SOME MONEY IM POOR IM SICK AND IM HUNGRY :mad:" one more time I think I might just kill someone. Not to mention they literally get in your way is annoying as shit.
- he can't swim, oops you fell in the water, restart
- needs better autosaves, since you can't quicksave. Consoles!!!!
emot-argh.gif

- performance is absolutely terrible for the age of the game.
- the parkour mechanics were rather buggy. Sometimes I couldn't shuffle on the ledge to a viewpoint, had to shuffle around until it "took". Also with climbing seemed clunky because of this. Frustrating is when you're trying to get away from a group and nope, one little hit causes you to lose your footing.
- aw yeah time attack challenges and assassination challenges on a time limit can fuck right off. I just love failing because one dude saw me for half a second too long before I killed him
- walking around with desmond is tedious. No run button? What the fuck. He controls like a fucking trailer truck
- controlling desmond or Altair sometimes was frustrating. Walking around his actions feel too sluggish, while running at top speed on housetops feels fluid and responsive.
- lockon was frustrating and clunky entering and leaving lock.

Personal score:
1/5

Comments:

While I see where they were going with this, I simply did not enjoy the game as a whole. The only thing I liked the most was the setting and the parkour. The combat was probably the highest offender of making me upset, because it was either too easy or too difficult at first (because you can't dodge or counter or anything of value, you can't even fucking circle strafe properly) and being too frustrating when the game throws large groups at you to fight. Usually even when doing my best in those situations the game goes "okay these four people are going to sandwich him and slash him 8 times in the span of 3 seconds. Thanks."
If I had to sum this game up, I'd say pretty much it's "extremely frustrating, boring, and repetitive"

And... did you try Assassin's Creed II?

Cause that's the topic you're in. AC2 is a superior game. Cause it fixes all the problems you have. And ACB then goes even further and makes it more awesome.

Gvaz

Banned
There's no topic for Assassin's Creed 1, so it goes in here.

That being said, I'll probbably take a break from the creed series because of how bad this is.

And I don't have the money to spend on Brotherhood. I'll probably wait till that's sub $10 like when I bought AC2.

Luigi87

Gvaz said:

That being said, I'll probbably take a break from the creed series because of how bad this is.

And I don't have the money to spend on Brotherhood. I'll probably wait till that's sub $10 like when I bought AC2.

Once you've recovered, definitely play AC2... it is by far a much, much better game.

I played half of AC2 first and loved it, then stopped to play AC1 as I never had before, got through it hating its repetition, got back to AC2 and continued loving it.

Gvaz said:

Seriously if you try AC2 for about 1 hour you will understand why everyone says its so amazing and it so much of an improofment!

I'm a BIG AC1 hater myself and I LOVE part 2 and I LOVE BH.
I played AC1 about 4 hours and never played it again, I have finished AC2 and AC: BH both games I spend over 40 HOURS doing everything their is to do in these games.
It never gets old and I love the series now.

CoffeeJanitor said:
That line still sticks out to me as the worst in the game. So bad.
"It's-a-me, Mario!" is the best.

I'm working through Brotherhood as I type this, but I still don't understand Ezio actions at the end of ACII. Why didn't he go through with it? Bullshit!

Ranger X

Is that GAF that advised you to play AC1 first?

NEVER listen to GAF man. You should have known better and skipped that turd.
AC2 rocks and Brotherhood is the better game. Like unconceivably better than AC1.

Gvaz said:

I could have sworn there was an OT for the first one. Maybe I mixed it up with an LTTP thread.

You need to try AC2 though. It's great.

Relax.MX

Help :(

I have the PC Steam version, and i have a bug with Town Crier mission, my objective that I have to kill never appears...

Already posted this in a convo going on in the LTTP Brotherhood thread, but then I remembered that this entire thread was basically a conversation about the differences between part 1 and 2.

So I figured it might be worth posting here as well:

So I was definitely up till 6am last night playing through a good chunk of Assassin's Creed 2. I should have stopped for the night after I completed AC, but what can I say, AC games are my crack this generation.

The quick jump from AC to AC2 without the two-year wait between definitely highlighted just how much changed.

The core assassination missions in AC were so well developed, and could be approached in so many ways, they really felt like events in of themselves. By comparison, all the major hits in AC2 are pretty flat, quick and kind of boring. It's actually a good thing that Ubisoft added so much new content around the story assassinations, cause they aren't interesting or flexible enough to carry a game like they were in the first.

Still, hard to complain about a game that keeps you up till 6am playing... even when you're going back to it after having 100% beaten it the first time. :D

slade

Assassin's Creed 1 was so boring, I couldn't finish it. I'd decided to give up on the series but then after hearing about how good AC2 was and how Brotherhood improves on that and the fact that they're downloadable on PSN, I decided to give AC2 a shot.

I should have kept my money.

There's still so much wrong with this game. The controls aren't as precise as I would like, the story is flat and terrible, the fighting is even more mind numbingly boring then the first game. Also, having to go to a trillion different viewpoints just to open up the map is stupid especially since it requires traversing the city rooftops and with the somewhat imprecise controls, the platforming feels like a chore most times. I want to climb quickly but ever since I learned this jumping skill in Venice, I end up doing that more often then not.

The game is flawed to hell which reminds me why I don't generally play Ubisoft titles. Zero chance I would get Brotherhood or Revelations after this.

conman

The Antitype said:
The core assassination missions in AC were so well developed, and could be approached in so many ways, they really felt like events in of themselves. By comparison, all the major hits in AC2 are pretty flat, quick and kind of boring. It's actually a good thing that Ubisoft added so much new content around the story assassinations, cause they aren't interesting or flexible enough to carry a game like they were in the first.
Despite the haters floating around in this thread, there are plenty of people around that absolutely loved AC1. You're not alone.

I was disappointed by a lot of the changes in AC2.

The mission structure is a meandering mess in AC2. In AC1, there was much more of a "chapter" structure that takes you through recon, strategy, and into execution, all while keeping your tactics open-ended. Loved it.

The story in AC2 leans more toward the nonsense of a Dan Brown novel. But his books are bestsellers, so plenty of people like that sort of mental junkfood. In AC1, the influences were much more unique and unusual: Umberto Eco, Vladimir Bartol, Philip K. Dick, and so on. All the masters of paranoid fiction.

And the game mechanics aren't suited to the tasks in AC2. You're asked to do these tight chases and turns and jumps, but the parkour mechanics don't work at high speed or at sharp angles. In AC1, the more deliberate and much slower paced reconnaissance approach worked. That and the post-assassination moments where you just run away and hide as fast as you can. No sharp turns or chasing necessary.

I'll leave it there, though. I've defended AC1 ad nauseum for years now in various AC threads. Just know that you're right in thinking AC1 is the superior game!

SamuraiX-

Antitype always fighting the good fight.

AC1 supporters unite! :D

conman said:
Despite the haters floating around in this thread, there are plenty of people around that absolutely loved AC1. You're not alone.

The mission structure is a meandering mess in AC2. In AC1, there was much more of a "chapter" structure that takes you through recon, strategy, and into execution, all while keeping your tactics open-ended. Loved it.

The story in AC2 leans more toward the nonsense of a Dan Brown novel. But his books are bestsellers, so plenty of people like that sort of mental junkfood. In AC1, the influences were much more unique and unusual: Umberto Eco, Vladimir Bartol, Philip K. Dick, and so on. All the masters of paranoid fiction.

And the game mechanics aren't suited to the tasks in AC2. You're asked to do these tight chases and turns and jumps, but the parkour mechanics don't work at high speed or at sharp angles. In AC1, the more deliberate and much slower paced reconnaissance approach worked. That and the post-assassination moments where you just run away and hide as fast as you can. No sharp turns or chasing necessary.

I'll leave it there, though. I've defended AC1 ad nauseum for years now in various AC threads. Just know that you're right in thinking AC1 is the superior game!

Holy shit, this post is brilliant!

*applause*

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
conman said:

I like both games about the same amount, but for different reasons. You highlighted why I appreciated the first so much. The structure of it worked for me and the hits tended to be way more rewarding. I like that it didn't feel so guided.

Gvaz

Banned
So I finished Assassin's Creed 2 the other week while probated :|

How did this happen? I've never played a game before that was so improved from one game to the next.

I hated AC1 and I went into AC2 going "Ugh fuck all this, It's going to be another shit game", yet even after like three hours I was impressed.

Things I liked:

- Controls are improved, you have tons more options to dispatch your foes
- counters are much easier to implement although hidden blade counters are hard as hell
- the mission structure. I love how open ended it is, I hated the linearity of AC1, how repetitive it was. I loved how I could just run around and choose to do whatever the fuck I wanted, which is what I wanted to do in AC1 all the time. I didn't like being bossed around.
- I loved upgrading the villa and buying new weapon/armors and all that. Glorious.

Things I didn't like:

- too long towards the end I was like "Okay I've had enough"
- the controls still could be improved, and aren't suited to running and tight turns, not enough options to lose your foes although it's much better now because they stop chasing you to the ends of the earth.
- graphics. Holy shit at the low shadow LOD and once a second shadow updating, and texture issues on the PC. It made all the long distance shots ugly as shit.
- ezio is kind of a dumbass

Overall I'd have to say this is a 3.5/5 for me.

iNvid02

move onto brotherhood now

ezio is older and doesn't act like a douche 24/7 and it looks great on PC maxed out.
its still a long game and controls haven't changed though, but all in all its pretty darn good

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Gvaz said:
So I finished Assassin's Creed 2 the other week while probated :|

How did this happen? I've never played a game before that was so improved from one game to the next.

I hated AC1 and I went into AC2 going "Ugh fuck all this, It's going to be another shit game", yet even after like three hours I was impressed.

Things I liked:

- Controls are improved, you have tons more options to dispatch your foes
- counters are much easier to implement although hidden blade counters are hard as hell
- the mission structure. I love how open ended it is, I hated the linearity of AC1, how repetitive it was. I loved how I could just run around and choose to do whatever the fuck I wanted, which is what I wanted to do in AC1 all the time. I didn't like being bossed around.
- I loved upgrading the villa and buying new weapon/armors and all that. Glorious.

Things I didn't like:

- too long towards the end I was like "Okay I've had enough"
- the controls still could be improved, and aren't suited to running and tight turns, not enough options to lose your foes although it's much better now because they stop chasing you to the ends of the earth.
- graphics. Holy shit at the low shadow LOD and once a second shadow updating, and texture issues on the PC. It made all the long distance shots ugly as shit.
- ezio is kind of a dumbass

Overall I'd have to say this is a 3.5/5 for me.

Yeah looking back it's so horrible. This was significantly improved in ACB.

This is currently 20$ on the PSN... is it worth it??? I haven't played any AC game yet...
Or should I skip and go with Brotherhood (which is 39$)???

Irish

victormartin said:
This is currently 20$ on the PSN... is it worth it??? I haven't played any AC game yet...
Or should I skip and go with Brotherhood (which is 39$)???

Definitely don't skip 2 and go straight to Brohood since that picks up the exact second that ACII ends.

amdnv

Question: Do I have to discover those glyphs? I find playing with eagle vision engaged extremely, frustratingly, unspeakably ANNOYING, and since it's required to find the darn glyphs I'd prefer to not bother at all.

There also doesn't seem to be a good way to tell which areas those glyphs are in. I know that the database has the eye symbols, but how do I know where those buildings are on the map?

slit

Quick question: Is there no trophy for collecting all the treasures? I believe I did and got no trophy. :(

What about all the side missions? I think I've done all the races, contracts, beat-ups, and mail deliveries but nada unless I'm missing something but I've scoured all the maps. The only thing I haven't done yet is collect all feathers. Ubisoft is mean!

shuyin_

Banned
amdnv said:
Question: Do I have to discover those glyphs? I find playing with eagle vision engaged extremely, frustratingly, unspeakably ANNOYING, and since it's required to find the darn glyphs I'd prefer to not bother at all.
I recommend you discover them as you'll get a nice little FMV and an explanation as to the origin of the assassins and
Those Who Came Before

amdnv said:
There also doesn't seem to be a good way to tell which areas those glyphs are in. I know that the database has the eye symbols, but how do I know where those buildings are on the map?
I personally looked for them in the game. I wached the picture of the building in the database and most of the time looked for it in-game. You'll recognized it... well, i did. The game can be a very good touristic guide :D

Roto13

slit said:
Quick question: Is there no trophy for collecting all the treasures? I believe I did and got no trophy. :(

What about all the side missions? I think I've done all the races, contracts, beat-ups, and mail deliveries but nada unless I'm missing something but I've scoured all the maps. The only thing I haven't done yet is collect all feathers. Ubisoft is mean!
Why don't you just look at the trophy list and see? >_>

slit

Roto13 said:
Why don't you just look at the trophy list and see? >_>

Yeah, I did and there isn't damn it! Argh

Anyway, I loved the game but something that stood out to me and I don't know why, kind of silly I guess but
At the end when Desmond is running away with Lucy trying to get out of the hideout and they run into Abstergo and Warren Vidic, why wouldn't they bring guns to capture Desmond instead of trying to fight him hidden blades? :lol

I know I'm ridiculously LTTP, but is Uplay ever going to be fixed? It seems to forever be in technical difficulties limbo.

I know I can go to Uplay.com but is there any way I can get my Units that I earned in game onto the account I created on the site?

God what a stupid system. Great game, by the way.

iNvid02

Barrow Roll said:
I know I'm ridiculously LTTP, but is Uplay ever going to be fixed? It seems to forever be in technical difficulties limbo.

I know I can go to Uplay.com but is there any way I can get my Units that I earned in game onto the account I created on the site?

God what a stupid system. Great game, by the way.

uplay is working for me, has been for all games i've tried.

i login to the game window with my account and it shows my points etc, and then
going to the website i login with the same info and everything is there.

do you have a different account or something? what message are you getting

i see this for ac2

dfdnp0d.jpg

Here's the full run down of my Uplay experience:

-Boot up AC2 on 360. Every time, I get a message at the bottom of the main menu that says "We are experiencing some technical issues with Uplay and are working to resolve them."
-If I press Y to try to access it anyways, I get an error message that says "Error loading information from the Uplay service. Returning to game."

So today I created an account on Uplay.com using the same email address as my Xbox Live account. I have 10U in there listed under 'Uplay' as the game and 'Welcome to Uplay' as the activity. From here I have no idea how to get the units I've earned in AC2 into my Uplay account since I can never seem to access it from my 360.

iNvid02

Barrow Roll said:
Here's the full run down of my Uplay experience:

-Boot up AC2 on 360. Every time, I get a message at the bottom of the main menu that says "We are experiencing some technical issues with Uplay and are working to resolve them."
-If I press Y to try to access it anyways, I get an error message that says "Error loading information from the Uplay service. Returning to game."

So today I created an account on Uplay.com using the same email address as my Xbox Live account. I have 10U in there listed under 'Uplay' as the game and 'Welcome to Uplay' as the activity. From here I have no idea how to get the units I've earned in AC2 into my Uplay account since I can never seem to access it from my 360.

oh i thought you were on PC, anyway uplay is working fine but its just a problem
with your account, read this thread on how to fix it

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8121060208/m/5661017508/p/3

PooBone

Seems like a lot of hate recently in this thread. For what it's worth, AC2 is still my favorite game in the series. The music is fuckin awesome, and the story is paced very well. Has some issues here and there, but nothing that is a deal breaker.

5/5

Brotherhood is also good and I like the features they added. The main reason I would say it's not as good is because the character of Ezio doesn't develop that much during the game like he does in 2, and there's nothing quite as awesome as the festival in Venice with all the fireworks.

Antagon said:
Story was a convoluted mess as well.
Also, I killed dozens of guards for just a bit of money, but when I get the chance to kill the corrupted pope that killed my family and tries to conquer the world I suddenly take the moral highroad? Really?

Bigger picture: killing him could've destabilized the whole region. That wasn't Ezio's ultimate goal.

iNvidious01 said:
oh i thought you were on PC, anyway uplay is working fine but its just a problem
with your account, read this thread on how to fix it

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8121060208/m/5661017508/p/3
Thanks for the help.

I just figured out that apparently I already had a Ubisoft account from when I redeemed the Altair skin in Prince of Persia 2008, but it's under an old email address that I no longer use. It is however still linked to my Xbox Live account and all my Uplay points from AC2 are in there. But I just created a new account with my current email address so I can't change it over. What a pain in the ass...

Is there some quick way to get back to the villa? I'm in Venice and the Villa is in Florence I think? The chest there is full again but it's always such a hassle to run all the way back.

jett

D-Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there some quick way to get back to the villa? I'm in Venice and the Villa is in Florence I think? The chest there is full again but it's always such a hassle to run all the way back.

The Villa is in Monterigonni. There are caravan "stands" on the entrances of the cities that serve as quick travel

jett said:
The Villa is in Monterigonni. There are caravan "stands" on the entrances of the cities that serve as quick travel
Heh, I can't read. It says clearly on the map Monterigonni/Villa. :p

Are the stands by where you take the boat to get to venice by any chance or only actual "land" town entrances?

Edit: Double dumb, you just have to pay. I was hitting the wrong button and just getting info not the ability to warp.

jett

D-Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Heh, I can't read. It says clearly on the map Monterigonni/Villa. :p

Are the stands by where you take the boat to get to venice by any chance or only actual "land" town entrances?

Edit: Double dumb, you just have to pay. I was hitting the wrong button and just getting info not the ability to warp.

Yeah there are quick travel places on land too. :p I think they have a unique icon on the map.

jett said:
Yeah there are quick travel places on land too. :p I think they have a unique icon on the map.

Ya, they have a double arrow icon. I'm just blind apparently. -_-
I've literally been sprinting back there when it's full... So annoying that my chest has been full for a while. Is there a point to it after a while? I've got everything maxed out in the town now so it seems like I'm just getting more money then I'll ever use at this point.

jett

D-Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, they have a double arrow icon. I'm just blind apparently. -_-
I've literally been sprinting back there when it's full... So annoying that my chest has been full for a while. Is there a point to it after a while? I've got everything maxed out in the town now so it seems like I'm just getting more money then I'll ever use at this point.

I guess for armor and weapons if you don't have them all yet.

iNvidious01 said:
A good read indeed. I agree with some of his points but I'll take a fun video game over a 100% Hashshashin simulator. AC1 had a lot going for it that was simply bogged down by repetitive tasks and little to do in such a huge world. I loved the idea of investigating to prepare for the epic and grand main assassinations but the means to which you acquired that information was mind numbing no matter how historically accurate it is.

AC2 is just a different beast that doesn't try to be a Hashshashin simulator. Ezio has his own reasons for wearing the Assassin garb and his own motives for the killings. Even though I didn't find the main assassinations as riveting as in the first game, the whole package just succeeds in being a far more enjoyable experience due to the multitude of things to do and the larger array of abilities at your disposal.

I was actually thinking to myself the other day that it'd be nice to get an AC1 remake in the future that incorporated a lot of improvements from AC2 but still kept the story and main assassinations in tact. The improvements to the freerunning and climbing like the fast climb and leap climb. All the combat refinements and new assassination techniques. A money system with merchants. You always hear merchants yelling about their wares in the streets but can't interact with them. You could use money earned from doing tasks and assassinations to repair Masyaf after the Templar attack at the beginning of the game much like you would fix up Monteriggioni and the Villa. Having new weapons, armor and pouches to upgrade. A larger variety of ways to gather information about your targets. Adding some things to do in the Kingdom would be nice. Either get rid of flags or have some reward for gathering all of them besides achievements (which are only available in the 360 version anyways!). If they're kept then for the love of god either mark off the ones I've gotten on the Animus map or let me purchase a map that reveals their locations from a merchant.

Oh, and change Altair's voice. I hear they're doing that for Revelations. I hope it sounds good.

This post in the comment section from that link has some good ideas too.

Jared Stewart said:
If I was to "cover" (for lack of a better word) Assassin's Creed I would do a couple of things way differently.

1. I would expand the weapons available - as Matt mentioned the crossbow being shown in intro CG but not being in the game was a big letdown.

2. I would include an outfitting type stage at the brotherhood hideouts. Weapons could be acquired, swapped, stored there. Weapons would have weight, and costs. The more weapons Altair carried the more encumbered he would be and the slower he would run/climb etc. Also carrying a lot of weapons could be a tip off to the guards and make it more difficult for the player to escape.

3. Continuing with the concept that weapons cost the player something. The player would be rewarded for carrying out an assassination. More money would be rewarded for having a more public, more prominent assassination. Money could also be deducted from the payment in the event that an innocent was killed, or for medical treatment, or for destruction of property.

4. The money earned wouldn't just be used to buy weapons, but training for those weapons as well. Rather than have Altair start with all the skills and weapons and then almost immediately lose them (a source of great frustration for me). Altair should start with some bare minimal skills and weapons (say a knife and a simple attack). As the game progresses the player can have Altair acquire better weapons, and improved attacks and finishing moves (there should be a lot of these) for those weapons.

5. The game should incorporate some aspect of time, the life of the city would go on regardless of how the player played. Stores would close, gates would be shut, guards would be changed etc. The target would follow a path throughout the day, the path could change in the event of a threat or because of some scheduling on the part of the target (say the target is going to speak at the forum tomorrow and adjusts the path accordingly). The research that Altair performs would be to determine who the guards are, if there is a change in shifts, what the target's schedule is, a rough idea of the path that the guard takes, where any hiding places are, if there are any shortcuts and so on.

6. So that the player can better use the information Altair would jot it down in a notebook along with sketches of the areas that the target will traverse. The player could open up the notebook and plan the assassination. Where he will come from, what weapon he will use, how he will escape.

7. I would set the game up so that if the player fails to successfully assassinate the target (the actual event shouldn't be protracted into a lengthy fight but rather should be over in under 5 seconds ideally). Then the player would need to uncover more information and bypass some extended security.

8. The assassination target should never try and fight Altair (I completed so many assassinations only because they did), the assassination target should always run away.

9. The hiding places would be improved from the rooftop garden shacks, and occasional hay bales. Rather than having this fairly monotonous hiding place (which is also rather obvious), Altair could hide in other locations (say on the bottom side of the bridge) or in a concealed doorway.

10. Boost the guards strength and AI. I could understand Altair sneaking up and killing one or two guards. I could even understand Altair winning in a sword fight against one. But to survive in a sword fight against three or four is too incredible.

11. Incorporate some sort of fatigue measure. As Altair stays up the amount of endurance available to him is reduced (and even more greatly reduced when he physically exerts himself). The idea here is to prevent the player from doing two things. 1) Staying up through 1 day or more of game time, 2) fighting for an extended period of time.

12. There is should be no way all the guards in the city should go into a hostile status just because one or two guards have been disturbed. This would more than make up for the improved guard toughness.

13. Cash rewards for finding flags and killing Templars.

14. Improve the surface story and make those segments more playable. Also let the player continue to play after he has beaten the game.

Teknoman

Yeah thats one thing I never understood about AC1, why does Altair have no accent whatsoever?

Hopefully Brotherhood will be on sale again for Christmas...since i'll probably go into that before Revelations. Still playing through II PC.

BadWolf

I'm up to sequence 8 in ACII and am really not liking this game.

- characters suck and look so ugly in cutscenes
- story is boring and bad
- free running is cool for a second until you realize its about as automatic as platforming can get
- stealth feels very poorly implemented and lacks any satisfaction
- missions are extremely repetitive and boring, didn't even bother with side missions.
- Combat is bad, block and counter kill all day.

Unless someone tells me it gets amazing starting from sequence 8 I think I'm going to stop playing this, very disappointed.

MBison

Very late to the party: was going to start AC2 in anticipation for AC3. I have it on 360 but was considering getting the PC version since I have a high end rig but a lot of the recent posts suggest the PC version is kinda fugly. I believe I can play on max if it matters.

Thoughts?

Also does AC2 steam version support a pc 360 controller?

Thanks!

Any help appreciated.

iNvid02

Very late to the party: was going to start AC2 in anticipation for AC3. I have it on 360 but was considering getting the PC version since I have a high end rig but a lot of the recent posts suggest the PC version is kinda fugly. I believe I can play on max if it matters.

Thoughts?

Also does AC2 steam version support a pc 360 controller?

Thanks!

Any help appreciated.

pc version is pretty good, should be easy to run now and performs well

has some problems with the wireless 360 pad out of the box, you need the controller fix to get the pad working. if you're wired though you should be ok.

more info over at the steam forums and ubi forums - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=381
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/345129-Xbox-360-Wireless-Controller-Fix-Forums

other than that there is nothing wrong with it, its a good port and runs well like all the ac games

i used this enb colour correction mod when i replayed ac2, vanilla looks a little washed out unless you turn the brightness down - http://www.moddb.com/mods/colourcorrection-ii/downloads/colourcorrection-ii-enb-series-mod

*bump*

Having cleared Sleeping Dogs and Max Payne, it has started looking thin for my action complimented by interesting story fix.

I was almost through AC2 when I lost my save. On one hand it was a great game, but it was super long, and I dont feel like going after all those secrets again. I would rather get the story, watch what I have to on Youtube(the garden of eden clips) and then be able to start Brotherhood, Revelations and AC3.

Unless someone else have any suggestions? Its been disheartening to hear all the lurkwarm feelings about AC3, but maybe the hype just got to people? I loved the story of AC1 and what I played of AC2.

And people said Brotherhood was good, and if the next installment is a year away, am I foolish to spend time and money on keeping with the series? I ask because AC2 was so long and doing it all over. Its soo many missions. I need motivation to do it. It would just feel wrong to skip AC2 when I dont have the last part of the story.(i assume it is 1/3 of the story I am missing).

Top Bottom