• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Terra_Ex

Subscribed. Still loving chipping away at DW8, my new favourite of the series. Has Koei said anything about a new Samurai sequel, loved the second one (despite some changes I disliked from SW1) and was disappointed with SW3 for obvious reasons. Could use a new SW fix now that Orochi & Dynasty have surpassed it mechanically and aesthetically.

Yawnier

Banned
Subscribed. Still loving chipping away at DW8, my new favourite of the series. Has Koei said anything about a new Samurai sequel, loved the second one (despite some changes I disliked from SW1) and was disappointed with SW3 for obvious reasons. Could use a new SW fix now that Orochi & Dynasty have surpassed it mechanically and aesthetically.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/29/samurai-warriors-4-is-still-on-schedule-for-a-2014-release/

We have gotten not much on SW4, but its slated for a Feb 2014 release apparently on PS3 (I'm guessing that is the primary platform).

Noi

The main reason why I loved DW5 so much is because they gave a unique ending for each character, which made playing through with each of them more rewarding.

Btw, does anyone know if Pirate Warriors is ever coming to the US? Is it time to just import the thing, since I see it has an English translation?

Pirate Warriors 1 is already out in the US digitally (though it's available physically in Europe). Pirate Warriors 2 comes out on the 30th of this month... but I can't find any info on it being more than digital-only here.

Camwi

Pirate Warriors 1 is already out in the US digitally (though it's available physically in Europe). Pirate Warriors 2 comes out on the 30th of this month... but I can't find any info on it being more than digital-only here.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm a collector though, so I guess I should get started on importing a physical copy.

Lulubop

Love these games but haven't played since I moved to PC. The last I played was Gundam 2, however I'm really interested in Pirate warriors 2. Orochi 3 as well, if I could find it a discounted price.

zroid

Banned
I don't really like musou games much (generally), but I'm currently borrowing my friend's copy of Gundam 3. It's pretty cool. ;b

I also played his import copy of One Piece 2, which was again, surprisingly fun, despite my professed distaste for both One Piece and Musou games.

Hey, maybe I like musou games more than I thought. >____>
I'll never admit to this, and you can't make me

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I don't really like musou games much (generally), but I'm currently borrowing my friend's copy of Gundam 3. It's pretty cool. ;b

I also played his import copy of One Piece 2, which was again, surprisingly fun, despite my professed distaste for both One Piece and Musou games.

Hey, maybe I like musou games more than I thought. >____>
I'll never admit to this, and you can't make me

My friends have the same problem. They want to dislike the series, but whenever I get them to play a little, they have fun.

Pirate Warriors 2 comes out on the 30th of this month... but I can't find any info on it being more than digital-only here.
30th of this month in Europe, btw. Still no solid date for North America. And it is digital only in NA. Europe will be getting a physical edition, plus a digital "Robin Edition" which comes with costumes for Robin and some stage DLC.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Any chance the new Basara is coming here?

Oh-Wait-Youre-Serious_o_97195.gif

:(

I remember loving the idea back in the PS2 era, but I never got around playing them for more than a hour.

However I got Dynasty Warriors 6 and Gundam on PS3 and I've never played them, should I give them a try ? They're basicaly beat-em-ups in large battlefield areas ? Do the characters acquire new abilities/unlock new ways of playing/have switching weapons or is it like 2D beat em ups where you had a set panel of abilities for the whole game ?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I remember loving the idea back in the PS2 era, but I never got around playing them for more than a hour.

However I got Dynasty Warriors 6 and Gundam on PS3 and I've never played them, should I give them a try ? They're basicaly beat-em-ups in large battlefield areas ? Do the characters acquire new abilities/unlock new ways of playing/have switching weapons or is it like 2D beat em ups where you had a set panel of abilities for the whole game ?

Don't play DW6.

That said, you do gain new abilities as you play (by way of your moveset expanding) and there's skills and such that you can unlock and equip too. Weapon switching is incorporated in later games like DW7/DW8, but not in the games you have.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Huge fan here. Sunk an ungodly amount of hours into Sam War 1+XL, and several of the DW games(mostly 4/5/7).

Fallen off lately, but I do mean to check out Orochi 3 and DW8 someday.

Don't play DW6.

That said, you do gain new abilities as you play (by way of your moveset expanding) and there's skills and such that you can unlock and equip too. Weapon switching is incorporated in later games like DW7/DW8, but not in the games you have.

So I shouldn't bother with them and try the latest games ?

Noi

So to kick-off the thread (kind of, since it's been a few days now), whats your history with the Musou series?

I didn't actually play any of the Dynasty games until 7. My first game was the original Samurai Warriors on the PS2, which got me hooked on the general gameplay and I proceeded to just play the shit out of it for years. I picked up Xtreme Legends as well, but passed on 2 cause it was PS2/360, and not owning a 360 at the time, felt like I was getting the short end of the stick if I bought the PS2 version, so I ended up dropping it entirely.

I didn't touch the series again until a friend loaned me his copy of Gundam 1, which lead me to go right into Gundam 2 when it came out, then Ken's Rage, then Gundam 3. It wasn't until Orochi 3 (which I gave a shot cause I knew some of the Sengoku Musou characters, after all) came out digitally here that I finally went back to playing some form of the main series, but it also helped me overcome my one major "fear" of just buying into one of the Dynasty games: not knowing a single thing about it's huge roster/being completely unaware of anything related to Romance of the Three Kingdoms. So after giving the 7 Empires demo a shot, I picked up vanilla 7 in April of this year, got the platinum for it, and now I'm knee-deep in Bond grinding for DW8, with Trinity (which I picked up on Seraphis Cain's glowing recommendation) and Dynasty Warriors Next looming over the horizon. Never enough Musou.

Shadow780

I started playing since the first DW on PSX, it was a pretty decent fighting and it's their take on Soul Edge at the time. DW3 was when I really got into the series, I remember PS2 had a weird time that there's really no good co-op games around and DW3 filled that void amazingly well. My friend and I would play it non stop (massive slowdown included) and when DW3XL came out the added difficulty gave DW game a challenge unlike before. It's my favorite musou game to this day.

Since then I've played all the main musou games except a few like Wii-exlucisve SW3 or the DS ones.

Uh, I think my first exposure to Musou was one of my friends bought DW5 on the PS2 and showed me while she played it. All I remember was that it looked dark and I wasn't understanding what was going on.

Flash forward two years and I saw DW7 on sale at Gamestop during Black Friday. So I decided on a whim to pick it up and see if I'll enjoy the Musou games since I never played one before.

And now I have fell deep into this rabbit hole and will probably never come out.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/23/tecmo-koei-was-seriously-thinking-about-making-zombie-warriors/

"Before we made Warriors: Legends of Troy, one of the ideas we had at the time was a zombie warriors game. There were ideas like that on the table," Dynasty Warriors director Akihiro Suzuki said to Siliconera.]

I'm just going to drop the gem here, only because now that he's said it, I can pretty much come out and said yes, that was one of the "leading" alt ideas (although he's simplified it a lot more than just straight up calling it a "zombie game") (along with many others), but was ultimately ended up with Troy instead.

TreIII

I'm really hoping that no later than TGS will be the time when Koei will finally unveil Sengoku Musou (Samurai Warriors) 4. Especially if they still have the intent of releasing the game by or around Feb 2014.

For all the time that has passed since Sengoku 3 came out, I'm ideally hoping for something that may make for some interesting twists on the formula. They do it right, and both Sengoku Musou 4 and Sengoku BASARA 4 will earn their places in my collection next year.

Yawnier

Banned
So to kick-off the thread (kind of, since it's been a few days now), whats your history with the Musou series?

I got into the series with DW2 on the PS2 about 12 or so years ago, sometime around 2001. I remember it was in the very early days of the PS2 before some of the heavy hitters released on it and there wasn't much else that interested me on that system at the time so I rented it (DW2) at a video store and boom that's where it all started, although I was not really hooked onto the series hardcore until DW3 and DW4, so I have been following the series for a long time it feels like lol.

Its funny too, I find it more difficult to get back into the older games in the series after DW7 and DW8, especially considering how fast paced overall the gameplay and combat is now. DW2 and DW3 for instance just feel so slow and janky now.

The DW series also introduced me to Dynasty Tactics, Kessen, Samurai Warriors, ROTK, etc. It was like a gateway for me into a lot of the games Koei publish and the story of the three kingdoms and also of the Sengoku period.

Too bad we haven't gotten a new Dynasty Tactics or Kessen in years though.... But that is a story for another day.

• Does any of the latest DW (WO included) have the old musou system with single long bar? I skipped DW6 and I'm currently playing DW7 but I really don't like the musou system. I like smashing peasants with 45 seconds long special attacks please (Taishi Ci rods :3 ).
  • Does DW8 improves any areas from DW7? I'm still on the fence whether buying or not.

Also, this thread reminds me when I traded Dynasty Warriors for PSOne for a copy of Fighting Force back in 1997. Good times.

DW8 keeps the regular musou system from DW7, but adds a rage mode. This buffs your character and refills your musou meter. You can then do a musou rage attack which is like the old style musou attacks on steroids, with the added benefit that regular enemies caught in it will drop small bonus exp.

LuuKyK

I didnt even know this thread existed. lol Amazing. Subscribed!

I play Warriors Orochi 3 constantly. There are so many characters still left to master. My God. Game of the forever.

Suscribed too. Nice OP.

I really got into the musou series back at the end of the PS2 generation with DW 4&5 and Sengoku 1&2. I think I understand why the series isn't really popular in the West as for me, half of the fun is the historical background, the characters and the what-if scenarios : trying to change the course of the Sekigahara battle or preventing Nobunaga to be killed at Honno-ji is incredibly satisfying.

Now I'm waiting for Orochi Ultimate 3 to be released on Vita. I've never played any of the Orochi games, and the guest characters seems really silly, but after playing senran kagura I feel the urge to do some more button-mashing while defeating tons of ennemies :)

BASARA 2+Heroes on Wii got me into the whole genre. I don't remember how or why, but somehow I stumbled into the GAF thread about it and became interested. I imported it and spent the entire summer playing it with friends. That sparked an interest in the time period in general as well. So, a year later when I got a 360 I picked up SW2 for cheap. I really enjoyed the different take on characters and whatnot. I went and got SW1 +XL later and found that I am highly entertained by the SW stories. That basically sealed the deal for me as fan.

Sometime later Red Cliff got me interested in the RotTK period. Through advice from Serephis Cain, I started with DW4 Hyper and worked my way forward from there. Now the genre is one of my most played.

My favs are probably Utage, SB2H, Orochi 3, Orochi Z, DW5E, SW2E and DW8. Honorable mention goes to my love of Hokuto 1's combat engine and PS3 Strikeforce.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
BASARA 2+Heroes on Wii got me into the whole genre. I don't remember how or why, but somehow I stumbled into the GAF thread about it and became interested. I imported it and spent the entire summer playing it with friends. That sparked an interest in the time period in general as well. So, a year later when I got a 360 I picked up SW2 for cheap. I really enjoyed the different take on characters and whatnot. I went and got SW1 +XL later and found that I am highly entertained by the SW stories. That basically sealed the deal for me as fan.

Sometime later Red Cliff got me interested in the RotTK period. Through advice from Serephis Cain, I started with DW4 Hyper and worked my way forward from there. Now the genre is one of my most played.

My favs are probably Utage, SB2H, DW5E, SW2E and DW8. Honorable mention goes to my love of Hokuto 1's combat engine and PS3 Strikeforce.

Man, I had totally forgotten that I was the one who got you to start playing the Dynasty games. I probably could have picked a better starting point for you than DW4 Hyper, but nostalgia won out over common sense, heh.

Man, I had totally forgotten that I was the one who got you to start playing the Dynasty games. I probably could have picked a better starting point for you than DW4 Hyper, but nostalgia won out over common sense, heh.
Worked as a good starting point for me actually. I enjoyed the Kingdom story mode structure of 4, and it gave me a decent introduction to the overall story of the Koei version of RotTK. Then 5 was a nice improvement in gameplay and individual stories. So, tis all good.

NeonZ

• Does any of the latest DW (WO included) have the old musou system with single long bar?

• I think the Samurai Warriors characters in Warriors Orochi 3 have what you're looking for. A single long bar that slowly drains while you can attack anyone with invincible standard attacks or also an special musou-only attack.

Does DW8 improves any areas from DW7? I'm still on the fence whether buying or not.

Every character has 3 musous, no characters have repeated Ex weapons (So, no more, say four different characters having the same generic sword as an Ex weapon), you can choose from a limited selection of characters for each story stage, and there's also an alternate story for each kingdom. There's also a free mode.

Zephyrus

Banned
I am a big fan of the series ever since I've tried out a demo of dynasty warriors 3. I could never find dynasty warriors 3 for sale, but ever since that I've bought all main titles (only expansion I've bought was xtreme legends 4, which I regretted) with the exception of dynasty warriors 6 since I never found it for sale on my country (did play it through "other" means and frankly I saved money) and am now currently eagerly awaiting for xtreme legend 8 because they finally added Chen Gong and are finally going back to giving the OTHER factions a storyline.
Plus every character gets a new EX attack.

It baffles me how people immediatly dismiss this series, but are eagerly awaiting the new "insert yearly release title". Sure it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the game is fun. It might get tedious after a while, but every game gets to that point.

I also had Samurai warriors 1 and 2. Never got 3. Bought warriors orochi 3 too. Which made me realize that the samurai characters need revamped movesets and gameplay because they aren't as fun as the dynasty or orochi characters.

My guess was this. One of my favourite tunes from the DW series.

This tune is also one of my favourite. (guess before clicking)

Well, that WAS a good guess, considering in my mind, that version of the theme counts as the theme to the entire series. I didn't guess the end of musou mode song. I forgot how good that song was though.

Also am I the only person to think DW5 was a tremendous, stale letdown? DW5 Empires redeemed the 5 era for me though, so many hours put in that game with friends co-oping. Also that DW6, as super flawed as that game was, is a better game IN MY EYES, due to how much new and different things it tried? Still though, fuck Renbu and quite a bit of other things that game messed up. DW8 is the best DW game in years though.

Creaking

Also am I the only person to think DW5 was a tremendous, stale letdown? DW5 Empires redeemed the 5 era for me though, so many hours put in that game with friends co-oping. Also that DW6, as super flawed as that game was, is a better game IN MY EYES, due to how much new and different things it tried? Still though, fuck Renbu and quite a bit of other things that game messed up. DW8 is the best DW game in years though.

D:

If Dynasty Warriors 5 had had camera control, it would be perfection. Every single character had a story mode. It had like the most battles/scenarios in the series (save maybe 8, but I haven't played that.) It was the last mainline game to retain the classic Dynasty Warriors moves setup (I know 7 kind of brought it back, but it's not as refined.)

And Dynasty Warriors 4 was my first Dynasty Warriors game. I LOVE 4, I just thought 5 was better overall.

TreIII

Have you guys got a favorite song or soundtrack from the series? I've been living up the Dynasty Warriors 5 soundtrack lately.

"Steal a March" is probably my favorite DW song. I look out for any type of remix of it.

But otherwise, the Orochi series has produced a lot of great hits in its own right. "Samurai Scanners", "Theme of Orochi" (from MOZ), and who could forget friggin "Optic Line"?

Videoneon

Have you guys got a favorite song or soundtrack from the series? I've been living up the Dynasty Warriors 5 soundtrack lately.

Favorite level track is probably He Fei, Great Red Spirit

I first saw just "He Fei" by itself and I started an internal debate between Great Red Spirit and Tropical Wars. Tropical Wars edges it out. It feels unique, and the sunrise setting, the map in general, was great.

Dynasty Warriors 5 OST is still good but not one of my favorite OSTs for DW. Swordsmen in the Plain and Acid Gangs are good, the Yellow Turban theme (can't remember the name) is good.

I will say, that Unusual Gravity is boss as fuck, and I still remember the first time when I was at Yi Ling in Ling Tong's Musou Mode, got to Liu Bei, and then the music kicked in.

Ohhhhh myyyyy goooood.

It made me wish that invididual musou modes were a thing forever, and that there was always a Commander music to fight with.

DW4 OST is by far the greatest in the series in my eyes.

Best song, but also probably the most overrated, but damn man. Take a guess as to what song it is before clicking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAs7dk_E5jg

Didn't know what to say after "best song", but after overrated I knew it was Eve =P. Eve is indeed great though.

DW4 OST is awesome. Struggle for Existence, Avenging Battle, In Full Bloom. Interceptor is interesting too.

====

My personal vote for best?

My top five might be like this:

Arena (DW3)
Men of Intelligence (DW3 - He Fei Castle Wei Side)
Unusual Gravity (DW5 - VS Liu Bei or Sun Quan if on last stage of Musou Mode, VS Guan Yu at Fan Castle)
Battle Without Justice (DW6 Yi Ling)
A Great Giant (DW6 He Fei Castle)

My favorite OST is Dynasty Warriors 6 since it has more awesome tracks than the others, and my favorite track is probably...A Great Giant.

shaowebb

Warriors Orochi 4 is gonna be sweet is all I can say after seeing Dynasty Warriors 8 in action. The scope of the stages and the world has gotten way better and the new systems get much deeper in the rock paper scissors value mentality of what tool to use vs what.

I keep hoping that Kamen Rider Battride is just the tip of the iceberg for more franchises dipping into that Musou formula. Here's hoping Tatsunoko gets picked up by Namco now that Capcom has lost the license. Could you imagine a Tatsunoko Musou title? Gatchaman, Cashern, Yatterman, Ippatsumon, Tekkaman, Polimar...soooooo good.

For now I will keep dreaming of more Nemea action in a Warriors Orochi sequel someday while enjoying dat Deng Ai goodness.

Creaking

I first saw just "He Fei" by itself and I started an internal debate between Great Red Spirit and Tropical Wars. Tropical Wars edges it out. It feels unique, and the sunrise setting, the map in general, was great.

Dynasty Warriors 5 OST is still good but not one of my favorite OSTs for DW. Swordsmen in the Plain and Acid Gangs are good, the Yellow Turban theme (can't remember the name) is good.

I will say, that Unusual Gravity is boss as fuck, and I still remember the first time when I was at Yi Ling in Ling Tong's Musou Mode, got to Liu Bei, and then the music kicked in.

Ohhhhh myyyyy goooood.

It made me wish that invididual musou modes were a thing forever, and that there was always a Commander music to fight with.

I understand. While I think there are a lot of standout tracks on the other games, there are maybe one or two tracks in the whole of 5's soundtrack that I don't like. It's all so tightly composed, and I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I always felt that everything fit really well.

Also a large part of why I enjoy Great Red Spirit more than Tropical Wars is it's insane tempo. It's supercharged with energy!

TreIII

Warriors Orochi 4 is gonna be sweet is all I can say after seeing Dynasty Warriors 8 in action. The scope of the stages and the world has gotten way better and the new systems get much deeper in the rock paper scissors value mentality of what tool to use vs what.

I keep hoping that Kamen Rider Battride is just the tip of the iceberg for more franchises dipping into that Musou formula. Here's hoping Tatsunoko gets picked up by Namco now that Capcom has lost the license. Could you imagine a Tatsunoko Musou title? Gatchaman, Cashern, Yatterman, Ippatsumon, Tekkaman, Polimar...soooooo good.

For now I will keep dreaming of more Nemea action in a Warriors Orochi sequel someday while enjoying dat Deng Ai goodness.

As far as Orochi is concerned? I think that Orochi should get a rest for a while after this MO2 update. I need to see what they'll do for Sengoku Musou 4 first, and again, it really needs to be something special after waiting so long, and with Sengoku BASARA 4 releasing at or around the same time.

Anyway, as long as the Musou style shows no signs of stopping? I'm all for more brands getting adapted to it. If Sophitia's appearance in the MO2 update isn't at all a sign that Bamco is getting them to make a Soulcalibur Musou spin off (re: "Lost Swords"?) I'd be surprised. They'll need a quick and easy way to reel fans back in along with SC2HD, while Project Soul works on the definitive next-gen sequel.

Top Bottom