• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

Cool. And for the 1% of users for whom it is an issue, who lost data without warning? Fuck them, right?

This change doesn't benefit anybody. You're not getting some cool new functionality at the expense of 1% of users. Nothing changed for anybody but the 1%. But fuck them anyway. Because Sony said so?
Nevermind that they just made a device working as they intended from the start because you lost your saves?
Great thinking

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Cool. And for the 1% of users for whom it is an issue, who lost data without warning? Fuck them, right?

You had to accept this was a potential outcome, if it was going to be this upsetting for you (or whoever) when such a 'loop hole' was plugged then it was probably advisable that you didn't venture down this avenue in the first place as your gambling with your emotions.

This is the very reason why I, as a UK consumer haven't invested financially into my US PSN acc on my PS3 as I know that one day it could be locked and I'll be upset about that.

This change doesn't benefit anybody. You're not getting some cool new functionality at the expense of 1% of users. Nothing changed for anybody but the 1%. But fuck them anyway. Because Sony said so?

To be far it will no doubt be less than 1%. And from a business point of view they prob shouldn't care. However for the sake of customer relations and just being good, they should at least patch in the ability to get there save files and data backed up onto a PC / PS3.

Shinta

Banned
So, if I import Project Diva f from Japan, and use a physical copy in the system with my US account, will that work fine? This is my first import.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they probably could fairly easily let you just log out/log in again with a new account, no reason to make you factory reset other than to make it so annoying you don't bother.

KalBalboa

Banned
What is wrong with all of you, it was never meant to be a muti accounts machine, just like every other portable device out there.

For the 99% of users, this is not a problem at all.

Really? As of now you can download an official SDK and run unsigned code on your own vita, even emulators if you take the trouble to write them. You can't get much more open than that.

Not to mention the fact you can still use the cards with multiple accounts, you just format them when "swapping." Does that even constitute as "locking?"

I can see why some people are ticked, but this isn't an issue for me.

jaxpunk

Yes I believe that's what the email I read said, I believe it also mentioned your mother.

LOOK AT THIS GUY ANGRY ON THE INTERNET RAWR!!!ones

Aeana

Nevermind that they just made a device working as they intended from the start because you lost your saves?
Great thinking

Uhh, yes? My data is my data. How would you feel if you lost all of your data on your PC's hard drive one day because of a Windows update? You'd be angry, and rightfully so. There is no defending people losing data without warning. It doesn't matter if it was a workaround or not. That is actually completely irrelevant. The fact is that it worked one way and Sony changed it without telling anybody, and the result is that people lost their personal data.

You guys are absolutely unbelievable.

physical carts are region free yes. Its only the digital side that is affected.

Until the day they're not, and then R_thanatos and the Sony brigade will remind you that playing games from another region on your machine was NOT INTENDED and you should just shut up and deal with it.

raven777

wow, I cannot understand how anyone can defend this.

I know people who lost a lot of money because they bought stuff from multiple accounts.

demigod

Uhh, yes? My data is my data. How would you feel if you lost all of your data on your PC's hard drive one day because of a Windows update? You'd be angry, and rightfully so. There is no defending people losing data without warning. It doesn't matter if it was a workaround or not. That is actually completely irrelevant. The fact is that it worked one way and Sony changed it without telling anybody, and the result is that people lost their personal data.

You guys are absolutely unbelievable.

Until the day they're not, and then R_thanatos and the Sony brigade will remind you that playing games from another region on your machine was NOT INTENDED and you should just shut up and deal with it.

Do you not understand the meaning of Loop Hole? This is like knowing 3rd party memory cards can wipe your saves but risking the chance anyways since its a cheaper method.

Shahed

And for people mentioning the whole only affects 1% thing. Yeah it might not be a large number, but that 1% are more than likely the people who Sony would get the most money from. I don't see how it benefits them to do this

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Haha, Sam Bishop is on another site saying that this is no big deal and GAF is "retarded" for being upset. Someone's still bitter.

"I sort of wish more people [bought the Vita] too, but I don't think I've met anyone that bought one and didn't love the games that really shined. And there's lots of 'em too. To think that a Sony system would have arguably the best launch of any console or handheld in terms of sheer volume is mind-blowing to me. Usually it takes a PlayStation system about two years to really start ramping up on the software side, but it was there day one and the potential for future stuff is absolutely nuts. Mark my words, in a few years we're absolutely going to see stuff that gives the PS3 a run for its money."

WyPZZ.gif

Aeana

Do you not understand the meaning of Loop Hole? This is like knowing 3rd party memory cards can wipe your saves but risking the chance anyways since its a cheaper method.
No, it isn't like that. You can't draw some pretty little analogy to make this look better, because there isn't one. Nobody had to do anything crafty except say "no" to a prompt asking to format a memory card. If it was a loophole (I still firmly believe that it was not), then it was one that many people most assuredly fell into by accident as well. And like I said, even if it were a loophole, it's inexcusable to plug it without telling anybody so that they lose their data.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I know people who lost a lot of money because they bought stuff from multiple accounts.

..which you can still use perfectly well. You either buy another memory card (oh the horror) or backup your current one, wipe it and copy across.

it isn't preventing you from running any games you might have spent money on.

The difference is that the carts have been clearly stated as not being region locked where as the digital side was not. The text can be interpreted in different ways and they made it easy to do so the whole thing was just unclear in comparison.

Elios83

For me it sucks, I won't buy an other memory card because I won't spend more money for Vita hardware, but now I have to make two backups, one for the euroepan account and the other for the us account and swap between the twos.
Of course at this point it is better to buy everything from my main account unless it isn't released here.

Aeana

..which you can still use perfectly well. You either buy another memory card (oh the horror) or backup your current one, wipe it and copy across.

it isn't preventing you from running any games you might have spent money on.
But it's preventing you from using the save files you spent time creating.

Lothars

How did anyone lose any money from this? can they still use their games? I bet they can so wait they didn't lose any money.

iceatcs

I know Sony do it to increase demands for one user per Vita because it's the way to get more sale from the devices/accessors. But Sony should have know better that it is not shareable device. Not many do that. It's disgusting I won't do that if I have my kids - I would get everyone one each.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
But it's preventing you from using the save files you spent time creating.

I guess for all concerned, they should have given a heads up with the firmware patch that saves were going to be casualties and backing up beforehand was advised (although after awry firmware flashes over the years, I tend to do this anyway). An oversight, but tbh, not many people use the Vita in that way at all for it to be something on the software dev's minds.

Have you tried contacting them and strongarming whatever CS into giving you a free something or other as apology?

How did anyone lose any money from this? can they still use their games? I bet they can so wait they didn't lose any money.

Yes they can if they switch memory cards or back up there old stuff and start again on the same card. They then have to download it all again but they do still have access to everything. The only real issue. Is that Sony didn't warn anyone so if you just happened to be on your less used account for a demo or something and then updated without switching back you loose all the saves on the other account. That's a pretty big issue for some people.

Technically no one lost any money but some people will have lost all there progress which is pretty unfair on them.

To then realistically use 2 accounts from now now on they will have to invest in a second memory card really.

It was always a pain to switch accounts, it will now be more of a pain but still possible.

"I sort of wish more people [bought the Vita] too, but I don't think I've met anyone that bought one and didn't love the games that really shined. And there's lots of 'em too. To think that a Sony system would have arguably the best launch of any console or handheld in terms of sheer volume is mind-blowing to me. Usually it takes a PlayStation system about two years to really start ramping up on the software side, but it was there day one and the potential for future stuff is absolutely nuts. Mark my words, in a few years we're absolutely going to see stuff that gives the PS3 a run for its money."

WyPZZ.gif

He gets some credit for speaking in grammatically correct, typo-free sentences, but he's just as crazy as a 15-year-old Sony fanboy on GameFAQs. No wonder he got permabanned here.

he is angry because he lost his saves.. i forgive him.

Im also aware that some prople dont pay attention and takes things for granted even when all evidence point to the contrary

As part of the "1%" that's impacted, I'm very upset, but seeing as my current card is about full and I had the intention of purchasing another, a simple rearrangement of data will keep things in check. Still, boo on Sony for this.

seriously for this memory card thing..? wauw..

Yes, but if I was a smarter gamer/consumer, it never would have been an issue because I should never have bought a Vita until Sony started including a memory card inside of every unit sold. The power of Lumines. One thing doesn't make me dislike Sony at the moment, but a culmination of many do.

Aeana

he is angry because he lost his saves.. i forgive him.

Im also aware that some prople dont pay attention and takes things for granted even when all evidence point to the contrary

I am not a "he."

And all right. You guys win. Have a good day.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
eh not that much of a big deal.

*shrug*

Average user, is not switching accounts from different regions, ALSO they did say from the get go, that your account would be locked to a memory card

Grokbu

Well this is great. I bought a bunch of PS1 games on my US account, and PSP games on my EU account. So now I either have to choose between constantly formatting my card and buying a new card. :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yes, but if I was a smarter gamer/consumer, it never would have been an issue because I should never have bought a Vita until Sony started including a memory card inside of every unit sold. The power of Lumines. One thing doesn't make me dislike Sony at the moment, but a culmination of many do.

How do you personally reconcile the balance between disliking Sony for reasons like this, but appear to be a satisfied consumer with the DSi through 3DS era of draconian region locking? Better to have loved and lost (import data) than never had any at all!

eh not that much of a big deal.

*shrug*

Average user, is not switching accounts from different regions, ALSO they did say from the get go, that your account would be locked to a memory card

Why aren't they competent enough to actually do it from the get-go, though?

How do you personally reconcile the balance between disliking Sony for reasons like this, but appear to be a satisfied consumer with the DSi through 3DS era of draconian region locking? Better to have loved and lost (import data) than never had any at all!

If you can quote where I say I'm happy with that, I'll give you a shiny new nickel.

I get it, I've lost saves too. But, IMHO, it's easy to see this is the way the system OS was designed from the start. Instead of complaining about this, we should be requesting:

• An easier way to backup our saves without having to backup the whole game
  • An easier way to switch accounts

Whether those solutions lock or not a memory is another issue, you were basically working around the system to get a functionality that simply was not supported.

Meh. The original method of having several accounts on one card and having to reformat the system each time you wanted to switch was clearly not ideal, and probably not even intended. I don't even know why someone would willingly jump through those hoops. I had to do so the first few weeks of Vita ownership (imported so I was switching between Japanese and US) but once the US Store opened up, I haven't bothered with the Japanese account on Vita again. Too much of a pain in the ass to reformat, and I lose certain information in the process (like unsynced trophies from ToM blitz, medal progress in Uncharted, etc.).

Top Bottom