• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 4 Sales Surpass 7.0 Million Units (April 6th), 20.5M Software (April 13)

Wynnebeck

Banned
15 million by year's end sounds right to me. They should do 5 million in Q4 alone if shipments are on point.

Well that's if the current pace is kept. I do expect sales to slow down near summer and I'm hoping Sony has a killer E3 to keep the pace up until Fall for the holiday season. This holiday season is going to be one for the ages.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Don't you guys think increased availability points to a slowing down of sales, I am talking about both consoles. No one can maintain 1 million per month sales indefinitely, will be surprised if its still near that pace come June.

Grammar edit

The PS4 situation in many parts of Europe are still barren. They could always ship more to those regions to continue with their fast pace.

PS4 will probably slow down to around 750K / month through August, then at least 1 million per month in Sept and October, then (if supply permits), around 2 million in November and December.

That's roughly 17 million by year's end.

Biker19

Banned
I believe it was 1.5 years late in Europe/UK. In the summer after the NA launch, if I recall. And Sony still caught up/exceeded the 360. The PS brand simply has worldwide appeal. Xbox never did. They captured America last gen because of the price-point (lower) and a head start with consumers and developers. They don't have any of those advantages today, and I would bet only the Xbox faithful are purchasing the system now. Which, as we've seen from TF's lack of any real hardware boost, is a well that's drying up. X1 sales are going to plummet in the summer. Particularly when - as others have indicated - Watchdogs and nearly every other multiplatform games is being showcased on the PS4, first and foremost.

Its quite incredible how much Sony learned from last gen, compared to how much MS shit the bed and took not a single lesson from their competitor's stumbles to heart. Sheer arrogance on the scale of 2006 Sony, yet somehow greater because MS came into this gen with a textbook case - step by bloody step - on how to fuck up your brand.

What's funny about this, is that Microsoft were never even the market leader last gen, Nintendo was. They've never even won a single generation, they were always distant second.

At least both Nintendo & Sony reasons of being arrogant were valid, considering that they each won two generations in a row with NES, SNES, PS1, & PS2.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
ehh....I love those days as much as the next guy, but somebody has to keep sony honest. Nintendo sure as shit won't.

That'll be Microsoft next-gen. :)

Kaswa101

I'm seeing a lot of PS4 stock in South Africa too (our release was 13th December btw). Most gaming/entertainment stores seem to have a couple each, but it's so damn expensive because of the current exchange rate that it's not surprising there's so much stock just sitting there.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
ehh....I love those days as much as the next guy, but somebody has to keep sony honest. Nintendo sure as shit won't.

I'm sure any PS2-levels of success for the PS4 would only reaffirm their new consumer/developer-friendly attitudes. The sting of the PS3 will stay in their minds forever.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well that's if the current pace is kept. I do expect sales to slow down near summer and I'm hoping Sony has a killer E3 to keep the pace up until Fall for the holiday season. This holiday season is going to be one for the ages.

Sales will slow down but 10 million by the end of September seems easily possible and I'm expecting big holiday sales if that Destiny bundle happens. I wouldn't underestimate the impact of next gen exclusive Assassin's Creed and Batman either.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm seeing a lot of PS4 stock in South Africa too (our release was 13th December btw).Most gaming/entertainment stores seem to have a couple each, but it's so damn expensive because of the current exchange rate that it's not surprising there's so much stock just sitting there.

A couple at most stores is not really a lot of stock.

I think you're pretty on the money there. 15 million by the end of the year definitely seems doable, what with there being the usual influx of AAA games released in the fall season. Uncharted 4 won't be out this year, but the likes of Destiny, Arkham Knight, AssCree Unity and The Order will help shift a whole lot of units and then some.

Yeah I think 15 mil is about right, maybe slightly less but around there.

If they managed to hit 17 that would be phenomenal. Pipe dreams really but it would be great to know Sony's gaming division is back on track (money wise) and the console business is booming.

Yeah I think 15 mil is about right, maybe slightly less but around there.

If they managed to hit 17 that would be phenomenal. Pipe dreams really but it would be great to know Sony's gaming division is back on track (money wise) and the console business is booming.

17 would be feasible if they fix the supply allotment issues and get a stronger lineup for Fall.

Teletraan1

Banned

I wouldn't mind a generation of PS2 level domination. MS selling at par with Sony just for competition's sake won't keep anyone honest. It will just show MS that they can release sub par non focused tech at a high price with a handful of internal studios and get away with it. The lesson should be learned going into next generation on the hardware front and I feel like if MS are going to continue to be a platform holder should start cultivating more internal studios during this generation. This moneyhat bullshit is not sustainable.

I'm sure any PS2-levels of success for the PS4 would only reaffirm their new consumer/developer-friendly attitudes. The sting of the PS3 will stay in their minds forever.

Sting of PS3?

PS3 was far more consumer friendly than its competitors. More games, more sales, PS+, free online. And its success caught up with 360's sales.

Taurus

Forget cross-gen. I want devs to drop xbone so we can all re-live the glory days of the PS2 generation.
Do you understand how many devs would drop out completely out of the industry or go mobile if they followed your advice? Higher dev costs mean you have to sell more than ever and only way to do that is dev and publish on PS4+X1+PC.

Biker19

Banned
That'll be Microsoft next-gen. :)

I wouldn't mind a generation of PS2 level domination. MS selling at par with Sony just for competition's sake won't keep anyone honest. It will just show MS that they can release sub par non focused tech at a high price with a handful of internal studios and get away with it. The lesson should be learned going into next generation on the hardware front and I feel like if MS are going to continue to be a platform holder should start cultivating more internal studios during this generation. This moneyhat bullshit is not sustainable.

I don't think that we'll even see a 4th Xbox console next gen. Microsoft's investors aren't going to allow them to continue to pour money into the brand when it's not making them back a big return in profit.

Forget cross-gen. I want devs to drop xbone so we can all re-live the glory days of the PS2 generation.

Refer to my post here about that.

jyx

Oh microsoft. What a fucking joke. I am so glad the consumers reacted to the anti consumer policies microsoft tried to force up on us.

EGOMON

How many generation Nintendo were the market leader? and what company won the most generations?
Sony was the leader with PS1 and PS2 and most likely this gen too so that 3 gens

As much as I like a ps2 level gen of dominance again it's likely not going to happen unless Japan truly embraces the ps4 with there biggest games again. Resident evil, ff, dragon quest, MSG, DMC, tales games, persona, they all need to come back in a big way...I know there been some expressed interest from a few Japanese devs in interviews but, console gaming can't be as big without a larger worldwide contribution....

Do you understand how many devs would drop out completely out of the industry or go mobile if they followed your advice? Higher dev costs mean you have to sell more than ever and only way to do that is dev and publish on PS4+X1+PC.

That really depends on sales if we had another gen where a console sold like PS2 +PC devs would be alright .
Truth is IMO the industry would be better off with one console plus PC the only problem is the one maker might cheap out on hardware or risk some sort of bullshit .

Refer to my post here about that.

OK so let's go a different direction.

I want PS2-level domination so that western devs can focus on delivering content on two platforms - PS4 and PC.

The best thing that can happen is for Xbone to trail off as quickly as possible so we get games optimized for PS4. I hope xbone struggles to cross 10M this year. That would pretty much be a death knell.

OK so let's go a different direction.

I want PS2-level domination so that western devs can focus on delivering content on two platforms - PS4 and PC.

The best thing that can happen is for Xbone to trail off as quickly as possible so we get games optimized for PS4. I hope xbone struggles to cross 10M this year. That would pretty much be a death knell.

why would any dev limit their fanbase even if one dominates?

SeanTSC

Because Ports cost money to make. If at some point the people buying your game on X system aren't making any money, or enough money to make it worthwhile, you're better off not bothering. It's why people aren't chomping at the bit to make WiiU games.

todd360

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about console dominance (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in North Korea where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you sell more consoles than the competition, you bring pissed off companies to yourself, and the only way to get rid of them is money hatting.

What this means is the general public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the other systems, nor will they purchase any Microsoft or Nintendo stocks. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the global market with this success.

Sony, publicly apologize and embrace Microsoft's DRM future or the competition will start buying nukes with your name on them.

Dredd97

I don't know how much the rest of you know about console dominance (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in North Korea where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you sell more consoles than the competition, you bring pissed off companies to yourself, and the only way to get rid of them is money hatting.

What this means is the general public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the other systems, nor will they purchase any Microsoft or Nintendo stocks. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the global market with this success.

Sony, publicly apologize and embrace Microsoft's DRM future or the competition will start buying nukes with your name on them.

1/10

Really poor effort....

Next time just play the PS4 has no games angle...

Squalor

Even for a joke post, that's way out there.

Salex_

Sting of PS3?

PS3 was far more consumer friendly than its competitors. More games, more sales, PS+, free online. And its success caught up with 360's sales.

I think people are so caught up in those silly quotes that they can't really sit down and think about what was "bad" about the PS3 for consumers. Sorry to quote you again BigDug, but it does a great job explaining how much value the PS3 had. It was actually pro-consumer and ambitious IMO. However, gamers wanted a primary gaming device at a lower price-point (obviously).
What I got from Sony domination was a console capable of playing all PS1, PS2, and PS3 games. A $600 blu-ray player when blu-ray players were $1000. The only console with HDMI output. The only console capable of lossless sound and DTS sound in games. The only HD console with wifi capability. They provided 3x the HDD space of their main competitor. They provided the capability to upgrade the HDD to whatever size you wanted within the physical dimension limitations.

What I got cost Sony $850 BOM to build and they only charged $600 for it.

Yes, their PR was arrogant and they glossed over omissions like rumble by claiming it was a "last gen feature" and told people to get a second job to afford the system. (If I built something for $850 and tried to sell it for $600 and everyone told me it was still too expensive, I'd probably get upset too)

But the console itself outside of the blunder that was Cell, was a beast of value. And I didn't even buy the PS3 to game. I bought it ONLY for blu-ray and it was an incredible value. 360 was my gaming console of choice last gen.

TomShoe

Banned

Only reason I can think of is that it may not be profitable to develop on a console if the install base is too small, or there isn't an audience for that particular type of genre. It's similar to why NIS America (Disgaea series) is PS3 exclusive. The market for JRPGs on Xbox isn't large enough to justify porting a game over there.

4/10.

While it's funny, it's not very believable. Only the most radical of people would want Xbox to bring back DRM.

todd360

4/10.

While it's funny, it's not very believable. Only the most radical of people would want Xbox to bring back DRM.

Its not supposed to be believable its a joke post. You guys are no fun lol.

I didn't really mean it as consumers would want DRM. I was thinking more of microsoft is pissed that they are losing and wants to force it on sony.

Taurus

That really depends on sales if we had another gen where a console sold like PS2 +PC devs would be alright .
Truth is IMO the industry would be better off with one console plus PC the only problem is the one maker might cheap out on hardware or risk some sort of bullshit .
Truth is you are wrong as fuck. First, we will never have generation big as PS2 generation was. There's PC, mobile and tablets competing for people's free time.

Second, Nintendo and MS are much stronger imo on their own than in PS2 gen, especially MS who goes after same crowd that Sony does. That means more variety for the sales too.

Third, higher dev costs mean that 3rd party exclusives are pretty much dead unless strongly moneyhatted. This means there will be no "go to-console" like PS2 was, probably ever again.

PS2+PC kind of sales wouldn't be enough today to support game industry. Actually, it would be a disaster. For comparison, last gen there was X360+PS3+PC who each had strong sales and good software sales and even that wasn't enough to keep studios or some publishers afloat.

Since PS2 days, dev costs today are about ten times as high. So do you think you can up your game sales ten times larger? Give me a list of over 10 million selling PS3 games for comparison.

Also, single console industry sounds like fucking disaster in the making. Competition is what drives this industry forward, and competition is good for the consumer.

Jabba

Banned
What a damn good console. Got mine April 11th and purchased ISS and Tomb Raider today about 5 hours ago.. ISS is jaw dropping at times. Runs pretty smooth so far. Also, based on the current op system, you can imagine and see what features Sony will add down the line. The two places I went today in RI, Best Buy and Gamestop had PS4 in stock. BB had the camera and the Gamestop had used PS4s for sale, for about, $371.00.

They both got small shipments yesterday, I was told. Not that I didn't believe the over all quality of the system but I can certainly see with my own eyes , why Sony is selling a fuckton of systems. My mother wants to check look at my PS4 since I tell her how it is. I've been playing a ton of DC Universe since I got it. What a huge difference as far fps. Most of the time, smooth as butter, even with alot on screen. Granted, it can slow when 8 ppl spam powers at times but so much better.

Lemondish

I can guarantee a ton of people won't have any clue what this is a reference to.

Which reminds me...why isn't there a "Welcome to GAF sticky" with all these inside jokes?

maneil99

Xbox can lost to ps4 and still do well. Hell the market can shrink 70 million consoles ans sony and MS can still increase consoles sold vs last year

Do you understand that it's a simple numbers game? If the xbone installed base isn't big enough, devs won't be able to recoup the cost to port their games.

I hope this happens. If you agree that the console market is shrinking, you really want one dominant platform that allows developers to maximize their returns. The console market has to become more efficient in order for devs to continue to invest in AAA games. Reducing the number of consoles is an easy way to make this happen. Microsoft should double-down on PC gaming and release a streamlined gaming OS based on DirectX.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was almost completely sold on PS4 after playing The Last of Us, while conversely my negative opinions of Microsoft grew during the last couple years when they kept acting like Gears and Halo are all the games i'd ever need and then of course the DRM stuff. PS4's system seller imo is 6 years of future gaming on a system that is currently cheaper and better than xbox one. This year i'm already having more fun than i would have if i stuck with ps3, better versions of cross gen titles and the occasional exclusive like Infamous and Resogun, and this will be further reinforced every year as more publishers ditch the last systems and go current only.

Exactly my reasoning too. I enjoy exclusives for both sides, but I simply trust Sony more to continue to support their system more fully for longer. And for MS to rebuild that trust can take years. (Or just make PGR5)

I believe about 6m, with 3m of that in the U.S. Over time, Microsoft extended their U.S. lead to about 15m. Sony's catch-up was split about evenly, exceeding the 360 by about 7.5m in Japan and 7.5m in the rest of the world.

Pretty sure it was closer to 8 million. That was also around about the time when Microsoft deliberately stuffed the retail channels with a shitload of units so that they could claim that they sold (shipped) 10 million units in their first year, which meant they won the console wars (based on the idea that the PS2 hit 10 million in its first year and won). Then the Wii thrashed them.

Why? What's the difference between one console selling 100 million versus 2 consoles selling 50 each?

Top Bottom