• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC |OT| No, F*ck You!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Oh my god at the
Mundus Spawn
boss fight. I can't get a SSS for the life of me. I think because I do too well in the fight and kill it in 3 goes as opposed to the 4 I think it wants me to do (I got 220k on SoS mode and still no SSS).

I really want to see a parry video for this game.

Demon Dodge his ground pound (jump + Demon Dodge in the air) and Overdrive whenever he opens his eye.
Easy style points.

rvy

Banned
My biggest beef with the game is... Why the hell does Dante live in a trailer on the boardwalk? What kind of city has a trailer park in the middle of a seaside amusement park?

Shakespeare lived in a trailer. What's your beef here?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wonder if it will go the way of Darksiders 2?

Decent combat mechanics that go largely unexplored because a community never formed around them in the same way DMC3 developed one. Possibly due to fan reception of the game.

You can sorta blame that on the last half of the game as well though, and how the whole weapons giving you full life and mana back after a few hits kinda made people just get into mashy mode.

The combo videos that did come out were fucking nice though

Ammish

Banned
Quick question. Cheaper for me to buy retail version of dmc PC rather than buying it on Steam (or GMG for that matter, since all the codes I try doesn't take it off the game), does it contain steamworks? Or is it GFWL?

I thought the game was pretty great. I missed lock-on and bloody palace, but this has some of the most creative environments ive ever seen. Id say its just as good as dmc4 if not better

Bloody Palace is free DLC. It should be out soon.

Do we even have an announced date?

EDIT: Yo tragic what do you think about DmC. It doesn't have the combat depth like DMC3 or 4 but it's probably one of the best action games to come out this generation. Don't know if that says more about DmC or about this generation's action games though....

DmC-DMC3-Dante-642x361.jpg

Obviously there is something not quite right...looks ok.

So when is BP, Vergil's Downfall, and all these costume packs supposed to be hitting?

Dahbomb

The costumes are Jan 30th I believe. No word on BP or Vergil yet. I would imagine Capcom would release Vergil alongside the release of MGR.

So i beat this earlier today and
was disappointed how they handled Vergil's sudden change of heart without any outside influences. What I was expecting was a tragic moment where he would kill Mundus and have to take his place, fulfill the role and fight, against his own will, his own brother. But no, he just decides to kill his brother over an argument and simple disagreemnt on how to proceed. Makes no fucking sense at all. I get the dofference in philosophy, but to turn against each other in...two...three minutes?

Finished the game today and really enjoyed it. As far as Vergil.....
They hint at his moral compass during the attack on his headquarters. While kat reacts to the deaths of friends and colleagues vergil displays no emotion towards the loss of life yet only puts forth a single minded push towards the danger surrounding his goals. To show that type of attitude in which he contemplated a logical course of action after the fall of mundus and the reasoning that he was above mortals, wasn't really out of the blue because of the lack of empathy.

Well...
There was a teensy bit of foreshadowing in the mission where
the terrorist base is stormed and Vergil's disregard for Kat's life and well-being is highlighted. His mentality might as well have been "she was a useful ally, but she's served her purpose now and in the end she's still only a human." For the most part though, I do agree - it could have been a lot better executed. At least I actually liked the characters, so that when the inevitable clash of views happens, I felt a tinge of sadness.

"I loved you brother." :(

Anyway, I beat it last night too. Really enjoyed it as a whole, and feel it was a great gaming start to the year for me. I'll get the plat and then look forward to Vergil's Downfall in the near future.

Beaten like a rug. This and the phineas thing could be considered hints.

But I am impressed with the design and art of these game. The boss battles were great. Despite some horrible dialogue I really enjoyed this darker version of DMC. I still would like to see an entry from the original style DMC.

Mike M

Nick N
I never really bothered with Blood Palace before, but I never "got" the combat of a DMC game well enough to really want to bother with it. Now I play DmC and I find myself rushing through the exploration just to get to the combat faster and being sad when it ends.

What changes on Dante Must Die? Just the Son of Sparda enemy remixes, only they take more damage and hit even harder? I would imagine they get super armor too, or something? Man, that just might break me. Son of Sparda has already killed me a couple times thanks to really unfortunate combinations of Dreamrunners and other enemies. On their own, they're cake, but it's kinda hard to sit there and wait to counter the teleport with a charged up Eryx blow when there's a gaggle of other Stygians and another Dreamrunner coming at you...

Dahbomb

Yea they DT and gain more health plus armor.

Lol @ parrying with Eryx. Use that only against heavies, use Pop to parry everything else. 100 times easier.

I never really bothered with Blood Palace before, but I never "got" the combat of a DMC game well enough to really want to bother with it. Now I play DmC and I find myself rushing through the exploration just to get to the combat faster and being sad when it ends.

What changes on Dante Must Die? Just the Son of Sparda enemy remixes, only they take more damage and hit even harder? I would imagine they get super armor too, or something? Man, that just might break me. Son of Sparda has already killed me a couple times thanks to really unfortunate combinations of Dreamrunners and other enemies. On their own, they're cake, but it's kinda hard to sit there and wait to counter the teleport with a charged up Eryx blow when there's a gaggle of other Stygians and another Dreamrunner coming at you...

Enemies are continually remixed as the difficulties increase.

Devil Trigger is powerful, but it burns quickly, knowing when to save it and use it for those troubling situations is helpful.

Also, enemies lose aggro when the camera is not on them. So you can actually exploit this by purposefully adjusting the camera as to where certain enemies aren't in the field of view. By doing this, you reduce their aggressiveness. It was obviously implemented as a means to reduce off-camera enemy attacks.

Dahbomb

Fuck even after experiencing the unimpressive Vergil in the main game I still want to play that DLC.

I am the biggest Vergil fanboy on the planet....

Ein Bear

So i beat this earlier today and
was disappointed how they handled Vergil's sudden change of heart without any outside influences. What I was expecting was a tragic moment where he would kill Mundus and have to take his place, fulfill the role and fight, against his own will, his own brother. But no, he just decides to kill his brother over an argument and simple disagreemnt on how to proceed. Makes no fucking sense at all. I get the dofference in philosophy, but to turn against each other in...two...three minutes?

Yeah, I though the way they handled Vergil was really sudden and out of nowhere. At first I thought they were going to have him go bad when Mundus absorbs him, like have him get 'corrupted' or something in there. But I guess he'd just been evil all along or something? Was handled pretty poorly.

Nemesis_

Cool that Vergil's Downfall will have unique enemies, but those achievements have the potential to take a while to complete.

I wonder if Bloody Palace will incorporate any new ones?

Ein Bear

The Vergil DLC is sounding like it's going to be pretty meaty, am seriously looking forward to it. Wonder if they'll do any more DLC once it's out? (Besides the costume pack and Bloody Palace that we know are coming, that is)

Unless I'm mistaken, there are going to be
2 or 3
bosses for the Vergil DLC

Not bad. Don't make me pay more than $10 Capcpom

Spoilers for Vergil DLC:

It looks like Vergil actually gets a real DT in the DLC. Looks similar to Nelo Angelo...

Hold up... Got me breathing heavy

Don't play games with me yo

Where are you getting that from?

The achievement picture.

It was stated a couple pages back that we might not have seen
vergils devil trigger
according to the French graphic novel, as
each time vergil uses it, he becomes more of a demon. This might explain why Dante had red eyes at the end of the game even though he had powered down his DT

As an amenddum, it might also explain why Vergil wanted Dante to do all the grunt work.
If Vergil was strong enough to fight Dante at the end, why else would he need him at all unless he knew that there was a risk to showing his true strength.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I read it. I'm sure it's going to happen, as some sort of sequel tease, but I don't think we'll actually get to use it nor do I think it's what the achievement icon is.

TimeInc

So finished the game today, and the story definitely fizzles out towards the end, and also thought the environments were a lot more uninspired in the last quarter of the game. It was a pretty good game overall, a solid 8/10 for me. There were for sure a few improvements over the original DMC's, level design especially was awesome, and loved the art style, although i do miss the gothic style, but that's been missing since DMC1. However the combat is definitely worse which is the the most important thing, it's funny how Nero has more depth in DMC4 with 2 weapons (3 including Yamato) than Dante does with 8. Also i didn't think the 30fps would bother me to much, but when you go back to DMC4 the difference is huge.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, I though the way they handled Vergil was really sudden and out of nowhere. At first I thought they were going to have him go bad when Mundus absorbs him, like have him get 'corrupted' or something in there. But I guess he'd just been evil all along or something? Was handled pretty poorly.

He was simply using people to his purpose. You could tell when he left Kat get captured by FBI. He was simply playing the role of the guy going for the greater good with his purpose hidden to Dante's or Kat's view. Who knows maybe the DLC might add something to it but it isnt that hard to follow.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/dubindo...ownfall---the-untold-chapter-in-the-dmc-story

Yeah, officially confirmed too. I remember reading on the forum that this takes place very shortly after DmC's story. So it's not a prequel (like I thought, for some reason)

I thought the same thing. Good to know

I read it. I'm sure it's going to happen, as some sort of sequel tease, but I don't think we'll actually get to use it nor do I think it's what the achievement icon is.

My thinking as well. At the end
Vergil will transform into Nelo Angelo, freeze-frame finish. Since it isn't a DT transformation he's stuck like that and I doubt that NT/Capcom would go out of their way to add an additional character with completely different characteristics to Vergil for all of say, a half hour tops. That's if they stay true to the DMC1 Nelo Angelo anyway.

Speaking of Vergil, his Judgement Cut looks weak as fuck in this game ;_;

Dereck

I just started replaying DMC4 right after I completed DmC, I'm so glad I bought this game 4 years ago when it came out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Just finished. Loved the game aside from the difficulty spike in the last battle. I can't be the only one who had issues there. Only spot in the game I did.

Amazing job by Ninja Theory though.

All the people playing the final PC release on steam and contributing to the communtiy stuff only makes the wait harder :(

vvv No it's just a surprising amount of people with review copies I guess

Mike M

Nick N
Just finished. Loved the game aside from the difficulty spike in the last battle. I can't be the only one who had issues there. Only spot in the game I did.

Amazing job by Ninja Theory though.
Were you relying on Rebellion? Don't use Rebellion too much. Stick close, Demon Dodge, and Trinity Smash. He can also be grappled from behind after attacks (Or maybe any time, if you can manage to get behind without him facing you.)

He chewed me up on my first attempt, but then I SSS ranked him without difficulty.

TP

The Origin stream from a few days ago showed that it might not be possible to bind the same action to more than one key/button from the in game control settings. It might still be possible through configuration files but if it isn't MotioninJoy is here to save the day.

Charge with D-pad down and shoot/grapple with square
It's the most comfortable control scheme I can think of

That's if you use a dualshock though, I don't have a 360 controller to test with.

Scrolling down the menus with the dpad might not be possible anymore but the trade is worth it

TimeInc

Another thing that i thought was really bad idea.
Colour coded enemies = bad idea (severely limits your move set)
No hard lock = bad idea
both of them together, so stupid. I dunno how they thought this was a good choice.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Another thing that i thought was really bad idea.
Colour coded enemies = bad idea (severely limits your move set)
No hard lock = bad idea
both of them together, so stupid. I dunno how they thought this was a good choice.

I find it odd they have so many flying enemies despite no hard lock. They aren't very hard but it is annoying to demon pull and get the wrong enemy.

TP

Charge guns or change guns? Seems awkward as hell charging guns with Dpad down.

Charge

I spent some time in the ps3 demo with D-pad down as charge and it was much more comfortable than the default control scheme or right/left bumper. Mapping it to bumper made dodging and grappling feel awkward and square was so uncomfortable that I never charged

I usually charge in the air where there is little movement of the left analog stick.
feels good

Seik

Banned
Ooookay so I just finished the game!

It was quite descent overall, I enjoyed it. Plus it felt good getting SS and SSS ranks sometimes, which never happened back then. (Yeah...I know.) D:

The ending felt...awkward though and Mundus was too easy. Vergil have a ugly face when he turns bad. :(

Top Bottom