• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 lightbar can be turned off in future PS4 firmware! [Update: Nope]

Hyb

Banned
00YHdad.gif

anddo0

B-but are you sure there isn't anything you would like to preorder!

B-Baka! It's not like I want to preorder a game with no release date or anything!

Lol! .. I'm not going to miss GS.

Why would I want to insure my game disk? Might as well burn $3.

Pre-loading is huge! Now how about that suspend feature?

GeoMatrix

Banned
I think it should be turned automatically on when it is required for:

A: local multiplayer
B: games that obviously utilize light bar (KZ-SF, playroom)

It would be nicer if it could be a brightness slider rather than just on or off. Having a less glaring indication (just to show that it's on, or which player is which, etc) is a handy thing. It's just too bright at the moment.

m@cross

I still do not buy that the light had a meaningful drain on the battery, pretty sure it is LED based and by technology definition, a very low consumption device.

Either way, options are good, be nice to turn it off when I watch movies and such.

DBT85

Glad they finally accepted that some people just don't need it. Though hopefully it's intelligent enough to turn on for games that NEED it with the camera.

However I gots me some of these for my two, so fuck this noise I'm leaving mine on.

dscf5013jso6o.jpg

I still do not buy that the light had a meaningful drain on the battery, pretty sure it is LED based and by technology definition, a very low consumption device.

Either way, options are good, be nice to turn it off when I watch movies and such.

Didn't someone measure the difference in another thread?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I hope theres a dimming feature as opposed to just on / off.

I like the light, some of the games do cool stuff with it but its just way too bright especially when you're playing in a dark setting.

Zeppeli

Banned
I'd prefer they put an acceptable battery size in the controller first if they're going to be charging nearly $70 for it in Canada

entremet

-Announce annoying feature is not reversible

-Let people obviously get upset.

-Continue to deny that it will be changed.

-People start coming up with custom solutions after frustrations from not being heard.

-Announce annoying feature could be turned off by user.

-Get praise and love from fans.

PR geniuses at Sony lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
lightbar didn't really bother me. it probably wont but i hope it helps with the battery life a bit

as an aside, has anyone tried putting in a larger battery in their ds4 and if so how much did that improve battery life?

lantus

I honestly never had a problem with the light bar, but if this increases my controllers battery life then I welcome it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
7zFKEJU.gif

Day 125 -

Have just received word from an envoy. I do not know how to react. I am almost fearful at the amount of good news coming my way these last few days. Will I finally be rescued? Or will the voices come back?

My beacon will finally be under my control, but at what cost?

The nights will truly be darker.

Yours truly,

Epileptic in PS4 Limbo

scitek

This is good to hear. I am really curious to see if there are any significant battery life differences once the option is there to disable it.

I seem to recall pretty much every methodology used to test previously questioned, so it may not be possible to do robust testing in such a way that the internet in general will accept it, but some tests (charge controller to full, marathon game session, charge to full, marathon game session, charge controller to full, turn lightbar off, marathon game session?) would still be neat to see.
You can already turn it off if you use it on PC. It does make a noticeable difference in my experience.

Terrible news. Developers won't put any effort in to supporting the light-bar now. First of all it was the optional camera, and now it's optional light-bar usage. What next?

JOKE! Fucking brilliant news, grown tired of looking at the bloody light-bar reflection on the screen of my beautiful VT65 plasma.

I read somewhere (cant remember where) that you could swap out the DS4 and DS3 batteries and it would greatly improve battery life. If thats true I am not so sure how much this will increase battery life. I think its an issue with the battery and not the LED. This is to get rid of the glare complaints, not the battery life ones me thinks.

Sojgat

Thank fuck.

When I'm playing at night, I shift in my seat, and for a brief moment, the light movement makes me think somebody has just come up behind me. Has given me a fright on several occasions.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
From the FW leaker, he stated you could Dim the lightbar with 1.7.

If they can have multiple levels, including Off. That'd be great.

Top Bottom