• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Many "Trump Free" Days Have You Had So Far?

Absolutely zero. I like to keep myself informed no matter how shitty it makes the world around me seem.
I think it's possible to be a part of the "resistance" if you take a couple days here and there to shut all that shit out, but just remember the world isn't going to wait for you to catch up, you know?

riotous

Banned
I think it's possible to be a part of the "resistance" if you take a couple days here and there to shut all that shit out, but just remember the world isn't going to wait for you to catch up, you know?

What does this even mean?

You can catch up on a couple of days worth of news in a few minutes.

What does this even mean?

You can catch up on a couple of days worth of news in a few minutes.

I guess it depends on how much research you want to do on each individual event or story. It can certainly take more than a few minutes if you want the whole picture, the most correct information, and all the background information you can get.
My philosophy is, if I can't explain it and talk about it with someone else, I don't know enough.
Also, a lot of shit happens every day.

riotous

Banned
I guess it depends on how much research you want to do on each individual event or story. It can certainly take more than a few minutes if you want the whole picture, the most correct information, and all the background information you can get.
My philosophy is, if I can't explain it and talk about it with someone else, I don't know enough.
Also, a lot of shit happens every day.

The average person, even on NeoGAF, barely reads past article titles. "The world" barely knows anything; if you once a week actually spend a single hour reading things you are probably far more knowledgable than the typical person.

I've witnessed 1000 post threads here where an article was flat out wrong, or had a title that was flat out wrong.. and the few people trying to correct the narratve get drowned out and give up.

It consumes me, even as a Canadian.

I dispise Trump and cannot wait until that glorious day he is removed from office. Hopefully imprisoned.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Zero.

I'm fucking miserable. Every day I wake up stressed, work stressed, and go to sleep stressed. I feel my health deteriorating, and I fear that my lifespan is going to be shortened.

Not sure what to do - He does something that should sink his presidency every 24-48 hours, and nothing happens. I can't just tune everything out, but sometimes I just feel like screaming and openly pondering why there hasn't been some kind of a revolt.

I won't feel at ease until I know he's no longer able to say or do anything to harm anyone.

Stasis

Living in Canada, if I avoid Twitter/Reddit/Gaf I'm mostly safe. Friends will mention it, but most coworkers don't deliberately do so. They know I'm from the US and NY and that I hate him. Sometimes they'll ask me stuff about him.

We're cord cutters so I don't know how often it's on local news. Probably a fair bit. When we see family and such around here there will be comments about him periodically, but it's mostly just shock and like "hey, did you hear he did X? wow" and then we move on.

So I can manage a few days. But I'm drawn back to Twitter Trump politics like a fly to shit so inevitably I get to see what he's been up to for a few days. I used to check every day. Now I give myself 2-3 days off and then dive in and am astounded/appalled for a while.

It's like diving into a way too cold pool. Except it never gets warmer and fun. And I don't even live in the US now so I'm (kind of ) safe. I feel for family and friends though. Fuck.

I'm trying. I'm too much of a fighter to go down so easily, but there's no doubt the anxiety and depression is getting to me. At the very least, playing some more relaxing games like Rune Factory and Animal Crossing has been therapeutic in calming me down.

That's good to hear. Your life is worth fighting for.

Mesoian

A few here and there, usually when drinking is involved.

But yeah, zero. I am painfully aware of it, more so as the days grow and his idiocy strengthens.

The best advice I can give people who feel dismayed or stressed about this is the same advice my father gave to me when I was a kid and got harassed by the police for the first time. There are things in this world that you SHOULD be able to do and you SHOULD be able to have but WON'T be able to. You need to stop and consider what you can do for yourself in order to get yourself into a position where you can be safe, first and foremost, because the constructs we as a society have created with almost certainly fail you over time. Sometimes it'll be because your skin color, sometimes your sexual preference, sometimes your location or sometimes your history, but there will be times where the structures that have been built will fail you. Spend time figuring out what you'll do when those things aren't available because there will be a time when they truly aren't, and those moments are going to be the ones that define you as a person.

And I'll just add this on to the end, something that my uncle told me once.

The government doesn't care about you, the police don't care about you, people in social services are more concerned about themselves than helping you out, they are not there for you. They're using you int he same way that you're using them, and the moment one side of that equation isn't getting what they need, they will drop. Always remember that.

Lot of white folks starting to figure that out over the past few months. The sad thing is, even when Trump does get out of office, legally or otherwise, a lot of these problems are going to remain. Waiting for the day Trump is out is still placing your faith in our governmental system that his replacement will make things better. There is virtually no history in the past 3 decades of that being the case. Things got better socially under Obama but we still had massive chronic problems that were ignored because too many people were making money off of it, and that's something that isn't going to change once Trump is gone. They aren't there for us. They're there for themselves. There's very little to be gained from helping us in any meaningful way.

neoism

Meh I've had 261 days stopped watching any and all news channel the day he got president... FeelsGoodMan

Not gonna even worry about it, Trumps gonna do whatever he wants,crying/worrying isn't gonna change anythang

Suntory

Neo Member
Is it wrong that I feel somewhat dissapointed every time I wake up and there is no new big awful Trump story? I feel sometimes that shit really has to blow up before it gets better, so seeing awful news from Trump gets me excited because I know it brings us one step closer to bringing him down.

Fbh

I read the top news on the BBC app pretty much every day on the bus on my way to work, or in the morning before I get up during weekends.

There is pretty much allways something about Trump.

So none.

it's impossible,
he's on TV, he's on the internet, he's Facebook, he's on car radio, he's on the walls, he's on magazine racks, he's on news stands.

even if you avoid all these mediums; some random person will end up verbally mentioning him and there, his name has entered your ears by force

daveo42

Banned
I think I was close for a few days in April/May when I did nothing but play Persona 5 all day. Looking at my phone for any reason tho meant getting pulled back into the nightmare that is the reality that our President is that orange fucker. I also listen to NPR in the morning and evening, so I get my full dose of GOP and Trump insanity both coming and going.

I can't go a single day without it and I'm English living in England. It's either seeing it on NeoGAF every day, seeing it on Reddit everyday and now that I work in Tesco, I work the papers sometimes and most of the time I see something right on the front about Trump, uuugh.

I got married in October. There are mornings when my wife is the only thing I think about. I get ready for the day thinking about the warmth and comfort I just left. I load up my podcasts for the day and get ready for a long walk with my dogs. Inevitably, a podcast will remind me that we've all wandered into the dark timeline. It hits fast and abrupt.

I have figured out a way to time my lunch workouts right before anyone else starts so I can put it on food network before someone chooses fox or CNN. I don't think about anything but not dying when I'm working out. I just try to stay busy and physically tired. It helps quell the anxiety. I like to keep up with the news, but I know my limits. I no longer engage in lengthy conversations about him. I don't try to watch video if I can avoid it. Text seems to be easier.

No actual T free days since inauguration.

I live in Sweden and I'm just as obsessed with what the Idiot in Tweet is doing. Following everything on a daily basis, just waiting in anticaption for when he's had his last and final fuck up... But it never seems to hurt him the way it normally would. Fuck up after fuck up and he is still President. It's a fucking anomaly. Don't even get me started on the tweets... I can't even imagine living in the US, being directly affected by his shitty policies. I'd fucking protest every single day, so I really feel for the people who didn't vote him in. I just find it so unbelievably hard to comprehend how over 60 million Americans voted for the guy, and a lot of them still defend him! The entire World just wants it to end!

Piecake

I find it very helpful if I avoid listening to his voice.

If I just read what he said I am able to remain in a much better mood by deluding myself that this isn't really happening

Zero

I've never hated any living human being as much and he's been constantly weighing on my mind since the primaries.

I'm in almost the same boat except rather than one person, I hate 52% of the voting population of the UK with the fire of a thousand suns.

I didn't realise at the time it would be possible to hate such a large group so much, but I still find myself thinking 'That person looks like a *swear*, bet they voted leave' when passing people in the street...

LlAb6.gif

Top Bottom