• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FY14 Q1: $220 million profit, Battlefield Premium hits 4 million

Digital revenue breakdown for the quarter:

Full game download: 37 million
extra content: 177 million
subs/ads/other: 61 million
mobile/HH: 103 million

Shows why EA is leaning more and more towards F2P/DLC considering extra content and mobile make up the majority of their digital revenue.

holy crap. I guess you can't really make fun of em for talking up F2P so often as they did before.

Crawl

I thought the PC is dead rofl. I will sleep good tonight.

image.php

jvm

Gamasutra.
Where has it been documented that Wii U is under "Other"? I'd like to see confirmation of this.

Interesting to see that PSP+PSV went up from $10mm to $12mm. Did EA really release more PSP/PSV software this quarter? Or an uptick in digital?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Where has it been documented that Wii U is under "Other"? I'd like to see confirmation of this.

Interesting to see that PSP+PSV went up from $10mm to $12mm. Did EA really release more PSP/PSV software this quarter? Or an uptick in digital?

Well if you scroll down to the platform breakdown, it isn't listed anywhere.

I guess they could have bundled it into Wii without saying that explicitly?

jvm

Gamasutra.

I believe that is the proper interpretation. I'd have to go back and look at the PS->PS2 and PS2->PS3 transition, but I think they've bundled systems before, during these inter-generational periods.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Here you go, I think I have a recent example:
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...EA_Q3FY12_Earnings_Release_2_1_12_12.15PM.pdf

If you look at the platform breakdown there is no mention of the Nintendo 3DS. However, that's for the quarter ending 31 December 2011, which was the quarter in which a Need for Speed game came out for the Nintendo 3DS and the quarter after FIFA Soccer 12 for Nintendo 3DS launched.

See what I mean? EA is very casual about lumping systems together, at least from what I've seen.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here you go, I think I have a recent example:
http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...EA_Q3FY12_Earnings_Release_2_1_12_12.15PM.pdf

If you look at the platform breakdown there is no mention of the Nintendo 3DS. However, that's for the quarter ending 31 December 2011, which was the quarter in which a Need for Speed game came out for the Nintendo 3DS and the quarter after FIFA Soccer 12 for Nintendo 3DS launched.

See what I mean? EA is very casual about lumping systems together, at least from what I've seen.
That makes sense then.

Battlefield 3 is basically a 100 dollar online shooter. No doubt they're rolling in the dough.

Still stunned by them releasing BF3 for PS+ on both US and EU.

Then again, even I considered Premium without even owning the game outright. Would have spent almost full price anyway by doing that.

BF3 expansions. Plus get people on board for Battlefield 4 that were maybe CoD people in the past. "Hey guys, try out our game FOR FREE!"

Also, EA loves non-GAAP.

I wonder what makes up the difference between PS3 and 360. Did EA have any exclusive 360 products this quarter? Fifa is a much bigger game on PS3, so there must be something I'm missing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Battlefront will be third person says gibeau. "well in development" Also states that it will alternate with BF (i think)

I think that was more a general remark. Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront will be in the shooter rotation in the next several years.

I'm under the impression Visceral has some kind of FPS as well, and they've been working on Battlefield a lot, so I imagine those four will make up most of what they do shooter wise.

KKRT00

I'm under the impression Visceral has some kind of FPS as well, and they've been working on Battlefield a lot, so I imagine those four will make up most of what they do shooter wise.

Does Visceral have two studios or is big enough for two team? Because if not, they are probably busy with Star Wars title.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does Visceral have two studios? Because if not, they are probably busy with Star Wars title.

Their main studio has grown to two teams. One is doing a new IP and the other Star Wars.

They're supposed to be unveiling the former soon-ish.

Shai-Tan

Banned
What games made them 12 million in net revenue on PlayStation handhelds? The only EA games I can think of on Vita are Plants vs Zombies and Need For Speed. Did they actually make decent money on NFS?

jvm

Gamasutra.
What games made them 12 million in net revenue on PlayStation handhelds? The only EA games I can think of on Vita are Plants vs Zombies and Need For Speed. Did they actually make decent money on NFS?
Well in the PAL Charts threads it is kind of a running joke that PSV NFS is a measurable % of sales each week but Wii U is not...

QUARTERLY NET REVENUE
Platform Net Revenue

Xbox 360 292 204 277 379 256 (12 %)
PLAYSTATION 3 267 150 289 404 238 (11 %)
Wii 8 17 20 5 3 (63 %)
PlayStation 2 2 6 3 2 1 (50 %)
Total Consoles 569 377 589 790 498 (12 %)

Mobile 69 75 86 109 113 64 %
PlayStation Handhelds 10 14 15 20 12 20 %
Nintendo Handhelds 9 8 9 9 9 -
Total Mobile and Handhelds 88 97 110 138 134 52 %

PC 276 214 186 252 298 8 %
Other 22 23 37 29 19 (14 %)

Three things:

1) Nintendo Handhelds / PlayStation Handhelds are lumped together.
Naturally, that sets the same precedent for Wii and Wii U.

2) Wii U's Q4 2012 and Q1 2013 revenues (calendar year, not FY) don't match their corresponding Wii releases. The only explanation for their net revenue is if Wii U was lumped in.

3) Why would EA put Wii U in the "Other" section, since that would exclude Wii U from the "Total Consoles" category?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what makes up the difference between PS3 and 360. Did EA have any exclusive 360 products this quarter? Fifa is a much bigger game on PS3, so there must be something I'm missing.

It's GAAP revenue, so a lot is likely delayed earnings from games like Madden and Dead Space.

Top Bottom