• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's Reading Week: What are You Reading?

nitewulf

just finished this last week:

0345479718.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

very good, much different from altered carbon. kovacs matured a lot, and is a lot more likable as a hero. though honestly, i like the ass kicking kovacs a lot more. now he is becomeing more like chandler's marlow, very humane. richard k morgan could write though, his style is fantastic.

currently reading:

9780553586244.jpg

tt_deeb

goodcow said:

Interesting. I think I learned a little about this in Calculus. Wal-mart uses the third derivative to see if they should keep ordering a product or not. Am I right? Although I'm sure thats not the only thing the book is about. :)

nitewulf

Y2Kevbug11 said:
After having just finished Dubliners, I've moved on to A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man....loving it so far.
i bought ulysses and portrait...not sure where to begin. usually nowadays im a light reader, but i should get back into the literary stuff. should i start w/ ulysses or portrait?

White Man

nitewulf said:
i bought ulysses and portrait...not sure where to begin. usually nowadays im a light reader, but i should get back into the literary stuff. should i start w/ ulysses or portrait?

Well, both are quite literary. If you want to easy back into it, check out Portrait. It's a great novel, and it always fits as a fix when I need a quick quality read.

cicero

Horace in English by Horace
horace3gm.jpg

Main Currents of Marxism by Leszek Kolakowski
marxism1nx.jpg

The Jungle is Neutral: A Soldier's Two-Year Escape from the Japanese Army by F. Spencer Chapman
jungle6zn.jpg

Challenging De Gaulle: The O.A.S and the Counter-Revolution in Algeria, 1954-1962 by Alexander Harrison
challengedegaullethumb3cj.gif

The Devil's Guard by George Robert Elford
devilguardthumb5md.gif

Introduction to the Study of the Law of the Constitution by Albert Venn Dicey
thelawoftheconstitution10ds.jpg

Selected Essays On Political Economy by Frederic Bastiat
bastiat7kp.jpg

pollo

Banned
political-legitimacy.jpg

Political Legitimacy in Middle Africa: Michael G. Schatzberg

Controlling_Anger.jpg

Controlling Anger(A history of Gisu Violence in Uganda): Bessie Head

fearinbongoland.jpg

Fear in Bongoland(Burundi Refugees in Tanzania): Marc Sommers

Can you tell what my major is?

finished about 2 weeks ago:

180px-Sartre_Nausea_1964.jpg

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre

currently reading:
0142180025.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Immoralist by Andre Gide

in the queue:

1885983018.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hell by Henri Barbusse

210px-Death_venice.jpg

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann

cover.jpg

La-Bas by Joris-Karl Huysmans

holmes_go.jpg

Go by John Clellon Homes

(not sure which to read next, so suggestion/input would be nice)

ae54rv.jpg

07434862263ze.jpg

Been working on those two for the past six months. XD Good books, just can't seem to find time to finish them. And it sucks because everytime I DO find time, I've forgotten half of what I already finished. : (

thomaser

0679734511.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIlitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,32,-59_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Demons (or The Possessed) by Dostojevskij.

0452284236.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1984 by George Orwell.

Next up: probably The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho and Blindness by José Saramago.

Flynn

thomaser said:
And I recently finished The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia. The coolest meta-fiction I've read. I bet Tristram Shandy was a major inspiration.

1932416218.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The People of Paper was pretty great. Amazing for a debut novel.

I need to get back into Murakami, read A Wind-up Bird Cronicle and A Wild Sheep Chase back when he publishing in the New Yorker every month. Underground was pretty great too.

I'm slowly working my way through the Aubrey/Maturin Books

030761.jpg

Currently hyped up on comics/graphic novels...here's my list:

V for Vendetta (just finished it, loved it!)

Batman: Year One (one of the best ever)

Watchmen (read it before, but looking deeper into it for inspiration as I write comics, films, novels, that type of shit)

Sin City (pretty much touching on all the stories again)

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (I know, I know, I probably sound like a total Alan Moore/Frank Miller freakboy by now)

As for novels and all, nothing in the past year's really caught my eye. Started reading on "The Da Vinci Code" and had to put it down.

The Da Vinci Code = way too damn overrated

Prospero

I started this today:

0307263118.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm not sure where it's going (I'm only 20 pages in), but I like it so far. It looks like about a one-day read: nice for a Sunday.

My boss gave me this on Friday... It's small, only about 93 pages so I'm almost done.
Pretty nice, not the best Management method book I've read though.. :/

who_move_my_cheese.jpg

calder

Vormund said:
This book has caught my attention due to it's premise
fatherland.jpg
Excellent book, one of my favourite thrillers of the 90's. You're going to love it!

As for me:

0061031321.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Would you believe it's taken me 32 years to start reading the Discworld novels? On the plus side, I've read a dozen in a couple of months and I still have a giant pile to work through! Yippee!

1400040922.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Pretty interesting... but I'll admit I dropped it like a sack of bricks when I picked up Thief of Time.

0312322232.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1593073011.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to finding later volumes.

Mifune

Mehmber
I took a short break to read this:
0375724834.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A beautiful book on so many levels.

Now I'm back to finish the job:
10021429.jpg

I'm finishing off the James Ellroy binge that I went on. I read some Chandler in the fall, most of Hammett in the winter and then I got hooked on Ellroy. I'm really not sure what I think of him, but I do know that his stuff had a completely addictive hold on me over the past month or so. I started with Black Dahlia and went through the whole LA series (Big Nowhere was especially cool, although I liked the feel of White Jazz too). American Tabloid didn't do much for me, and The Cold Six Thousand was just painful and ugly. I guess he was going for painful and ugly but writing in a painful, ugly style isn't really a great accomplishment. I read the memior and the collections of short material, too. Overall: fun.

If comics count, I just checked this one out:

waydt.jpg

I've never read any of Jason's comics before, so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

Boogie

Phranky said:
Reading week? Do people really need an allocated week just to read? Also; Dan Brown's stuff is trash.

It's Canada's spring break, but it's not in spring, hence the lame title.

thomaser

waydt.jpg

I've never read any of Jason's comics before, so I'm kind of looking forward to it.

His books are without text (the ones I've got, anyway - I haven't read yours), so they only take 10 minutes or so to get through. But they're so good that you'll go through them again and again and again. Great style and wonderful stories. His characters remind me a little of Bill Murray... they say a lot with sparse expressions.

Check out his comic strips if you can. His zombie/vampire/Darth Vader-strips are hilarious!

KingGondo

Banned
Can't find the images, but here's what I'm reading now:

The Odyssey
The Aeneid
Inferno (on and off)
Memoirs of a Geisha
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (need to pick it back up)

Good stuff--I can't get enough of classical mythology.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
enjoy bell woods said:
Tender is the Night.

I hope yr reading the first edition. Fitzegerald rereleased it putting the story in a linear, chronological snoozefest

Top Bottom