• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
The first third of route 1 is extremely boring and with nothing to see, just a steep cement, so let me offer an alternative.

Start on route 6 and go up to the Biwa waterfall, next to the waterfall there's some stairs up, take these stairs and follow the path for 20-30 minutes, and you'll reach Path 2, follow it upwards for about a couple minutes and you'll be infront of the monkey Park, from here on just follow Path 1. You're just a few minutes away from the temple.

9gs9RKi.jpg

I marked the path in yellow.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Not sure which trail to go down though. Which "upper" part is more interesting, 6, 4 or 3?

PowerTaxi

Banned
So, I just found out my flight arrives in Haneda at 11:30 pm instead of 10:30. I assume getting the last train is out of the picture now?

Trevelyon

Hey guys, if HyperDia doesn't specify a platform change for transfer at a station, does that mean for sure you just stay on the platform or perhaps, they don't have that type of information at every station (especially the smaller ones) and you need to figure it out when you get there?

I just have a few very tight transfer windows down to Nobeoka from Tokyo and time will be of the essence.

Zyzyxxz

I just realized I'm going to be in Tokyo during TGS!

Is it worth going on public day or will I be wasting my precious time? I'm not sure if its worth it just to walk around to take a look, I don't want to waste time waiting in lines to play games if its like E3 public day.

Blimblim

The Inside Track

Is it worth going on public day or will I be wasting my precious time? I'm not sure if its worth it just to walk around to take a look, I don't want to waste time waiting in lines to play games if its like E3 public day.

TGS on public days is dreadful in terms of queues. It's very organized and civilized, but you are still going to spend hours waiting for stuff.

Also for the people going exclusively to Tokyo, I can't recommend enough taking a whole day to go to Kamakura. Get off the train at Kita-Kamakura and go see the various temples around (especially the smaller ones) and walk to the main city. By far my favorite place to go to when I'm in Tokyo :)

Hey guys, if HyperDia doesn't specify a platform change for transfer at a station, does that mean for sure you just stay on the platform or perhaps, they don't have that type of information at every station (especially the smaller ones) and you need to figure it out when you get there?

I just have a few very tight transfer windows down to Nobeoka from Tokyo and time will be of the essence.

Show us the route then.

Any of the big games are gonna have horrible lines. You might be able to play some indie stuff easily. I mostly checked out the cosplay when I went. :p

Trevelyon

You're either gonna arrive at platform 1 or 3 and depart from platform 2 or 4 at Oita if you're taking the Sonic and transferring to the Nichirin.

Shouldn't you also be worried about the transfers at Higashi-Kanagawa, Shin-Yokohama and Kokura Station though?

I could probably nix the travel to Shin-Yokohama in the morning, as I plan to stay close to the station anyways, I just chucked in Yokohama as general starting point. Kokura will be tight, but at least it does specify the platforms, so if I hustle I should(?) be fine.

If I miss the Nichirin 15, I can get the 17 instead in Oita. It'll probably be jumping platforms 1>4 (worst case scenario) with bags and stuff that could get in me in Oita. End goal will be getting into Takachiho before the local buses from Nobeoka are done for the day.

I could probably nix the travel to Shin-Yokohama in the morning, as I plan to stay close to the station anyways, I just chucked in Yokohama as general starting point. Kokura will be tight, but at least it does specify the platforms, so if I hustle I should(?) be fine.

Aha. Well, here's a map of Kokura station:
http://www.jrkyushu.co.jp/railway/station/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2017/05/02/kokura_st_kounai.pdf

You'll probably want to use the transfer gates at the top right (乗換改札口) :p

Zyzyxxz

Any of the big games are gonna have horrible lines. You might be able to play some indie stuff easily. I mostly checked out the cosplay when I went. :p

I figured, but for only 1000 yen is it worth going to walk around to kill a few hours and take in the sights or is there not much worth seeing?

I figured, but for only 1000 yen is it worth going to walk around to kill a few hours and take in the sights or is there not much worth seeing?

When I went, every line was closed when I approached, occasionally the crowds lifted me off the ground and forced me to go places, and my wife was groped.

I thought it was fun. Got some free swag, laughed at the people waiting in a 3 hour queue just to play a game already released, I walked past Toshihiro Nagoshi taking pics with people, and I groped Laevateinn's
Nah...

Zatoth

Found a site that offers to make a reservation for you at one of the huts on Mt. Fuji. As I will be going there in September 3rd (Sunday), do you think that is even necessary? Good chance that the hut will be full in the last week of the climbing season?

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain what all the overdressed guys and dolled up girls in front of restaurants are supposed to do? Walking along one of the main roads in Kobe on a Saturday evening almost felt like walking through a red light district. I guess they try to get customers into the establishment? They didn't even seem to bother trying with us two foreigners though, thankfully. Still seemed kind of strange to us. Do they work for the establishment and get a cut or something like that?

Can someone explain what all the overdressed guys and dolled up girls in front of restaurants are supposed to do? Walking along one of the main roads in Kobe on a Saturday evening almost felt like walking through a red light district. I guess they try to get customers into the establishment? They didn't even seem to bother trying with us two foreigners though, thankfully. Still seemed kind of strange to us. Do they work for the establishment and get a cut or something like that?

Guess this was near Sannomiya? :p

Host/Hostess clubs?

Either the Midori-no-madoguchi (Ticket office) or the Shinkansen ticket machine.

Go to the Midori-no-madoguchi ticket office or Travel Service Center at one of the bigger stations, like Osaka or Shin-Osaka station.

Just to follow up on his question, do you usually have to purchase the ticket long in advance (aka a few days) or are there usually spots left even in the last few hours?

Just to follow up on his question, do you usually have to purchase the ticket long in advance (aka a few days) or are there usually spots left even in the last few hours?

If you're using an JR Pass then there's no reason not to book early. And remember that there could be queues to buy tickets if you're trying to get on at a specific time.

Can I buy it day of. Like right when I show up and am ready to get on the next train

Yes. As long as there's free room. If you're getting on the last train of the day or something, then you should get there early to account for queues to get tickets (or book early to make sure you have a seat).

Damaged

Okay, so I'm going back to Japan next year on a slightly odd trip. I land in Tokyo on the 2nd of March then will spend the next three months cycling around camping and hopefully cover the length of the country and take in the less seen parts.

My rough route takes me from Tokyo south along the coast until I reach Shikoku, do the Shimanami Kaido then hop on a ferry to Kyushu and ride to Cape Sata. After that its up via Kagoshima and follow the northern coast all the way to Cape Soya. All hopefully following the cherry blossom if I time it right. ( started a blog about the trip here if anyone gets bored https://threemonthsinjapan.wordpress.com/ )

So, this will be my fourth trip to Japan and I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions off the beaten path? I have been to Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nikko, Kamakura, etc so I'm not looking to spend much time in those places.

Any ideas people?

If you're using an JR Pass then there's no reason not to book early. And remember that there could be queues to buy tickets if you're trying to get on at a specific time.

Well, I don't know about not booking early. Last year I needed a ticket from Fukuoka to Tokyo. Went to the JR ticket area in the station to get a ticket the day before and all the early trains were already full. The earliest I could get was like 10:40. This on a weekend during summer vacation though, so there were a lot of people traveling. Either way, if time and day are important, I'd go at least a full day ahead to get tickets

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Ok, asked this over in the Japan residents thread but go no response. Anyone know the logistics or possibility of scooter rentals in Japan? I've seen sites in Osaka that do. I know Times doesn't. Looking for other companies that might. I'm trying to rent in a small town called Yanai. Not far from Hiroshima.

So stupid question, but when I get to Tokyo, if I get a Suica card for the trains, will that let me get on all trains (as long as it has credit on it) not just JR lines but other ones and will I be able to use it on trains outside of Tokyo. I think I can looking online but not sure :/

Damaged

So stupid question, but when I get to Tokyo, if I get a Suica card for the trains, will that let me get on all trains (as long as it has credit on it) not just JR lines but other ones and will I be able to use it on trains outside of Tokyo. I think I can looking online but not sure :/

As far as I can remember yeah the suica should work on the subway as well as JR lines, not sure about outside Tokyo and I am pretty sure that you would need to book tickets for the likes of the shinkansen.

Zatoth

Don't know about Suica. As I always use the Pasmo card. But that one worked everywhere in Tokyo I tried it. Also worked in all the other cities I went to. Osaka, Kyoto and Sapporo for example.

D.Lo

So I managed to get to some of the recently cleared Fukushima exclusion zone towns. It's relatively easy but the trains don't go all the way so you have to get special buses. They're still mostly ghost towns, mostly the only people are some construction workers who drive in, cleaning up and making new stations and infrastructure. So many black bags of contaminated soil...

Got some very cool pictures, I'll post some when I get them all sorted through.

Also fulfilled a childhood dream of seeing some crazy Japanese launch day lines! Ever since I read about Dragon Quest III lines, I wanted to see it, so I checked out the launches of Splatoon and DQ11. The game launches themselves weren't that crazy in the end, lots of lots of buyers but no crazy lines as there was plenty of stock for both games, but the Switch lottery lines were indeed insane.

Depends on where outside Tokyo you're going. :p

Depends on where outside Tokyo you're going. :p
Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Also current plan for Kyoto is looking like this

I'm fairly certain that's going to be all doable and hopefully get most the things I want to get done in Kyoto done. If it comes to it I might just use a free day in Osaka to travel to Kyoto to hit off some more things.

Also current plan is looking like this

Tempted to drop some things off from the list, not sure I'll bother with the Penguin Bar even though its right around the corner from my hotel. Tokyo Museum is prob going to get a miss too. Also some other things might get moved around but its shaping up to be an epic trip again.

It will not cover your travel between cities (except Osaka<->Kyoto), and it will not work on non-JR buses or trams in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Everything else should be fine.

It should work on the buses in Kyoto now, but you're better off getting the cheap 1-day bus pass.

I think you're going to struggle to do the Sagano scenic railway and get to Kinkaka-ji in an hour and a quarter.
Honestly that part is abit more loose with time, I only put in Teramchi Street in cause I wasn't sure what else to do in Kyoto :/ If I have to drop that so be it, plus it seems near enought to Nishiki that I may just hit that up if I finish up there early.

It will not cover your travel between cities (except Osaka<->Kyoto), and it will not work on non-JR buses or trams in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Everything else should be fine.

It should work on the buses in Kyoto now, but you're better off getting the cheap 1-day bus pass.
Yeah I'll have the rail pass for travelling between cities and using the actual JR lines, but as long as the Suica (or Pasmo) works in all cities on all lines I'll be fine.

Also current plan for Kyoto is looking like this

I'm fairly certain that's going to be all doable and hopefully get most the things I want to get done in Kyoto done. If it comes to it I might just use a free day in Osaka to travel to Kyoto to hit off some more things.

Also current plan is looking like this

Tempted to drop some things off from the list, not sure I'll bother with the Penguin Bar even though its right around the corner from my hotel. Tokyo Museum is prob going to get a miss too. Also some other things might get moved around but its shaping up to be an epic trip again.

Suica works on subways.

It doesn't work too much outside of tokyo.

Edit: I guess it's not true.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Meh, I'll be in those places for such little time its not an issue, as long as I'm fine in the big places then awesome.

Hiroshima is very walkable. I usually walk from the main station to the peace plaza and the okonomiyaki mall. It's a leasurly stroll.

Btw DO try Hiroshima style okonomiyaki. It's the superior way.

Top Bottom