• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingsman: The Golden Circle Review Thread

Scarecrow

Very bloated and kind of a mess. Had some good bits, but why was Tatum even in this? I mean, he barely was anyway.

Although I wonder about jurisdiction, these guys are all wandering around the world mostly and I wonder how they don't trip on each others toes.

They kinda almost did in that retcon they pulled
post church scene

I think the disappointment for a lot of people comes from the uneven storytelling. You can tell a lot was cut out of the movie
like the drunken redneck at the bar with a codename - Bacardi maybe? Was he supposed to be somebody?
so I really hope we get a director's cut.

I still loved the movie, even with the jank.

ryseing

Romance stuff was BAAAAD. The princess thing was cute for a short gag but focusing on it for an entire movie was a terrible idea, especially given how wooden the actress is. Roxy and Eggsy had so much more chemistry.

Killing off
Roxy/Merlin
sucked, and they won't be able to pull off the Harry thing again to bring them back which is unfortunate.
Merlin
's death scene was incredible though. Never going to view
Country Roads
the same again.

Pleasantly surprised with how much Pedro Pascal there was in the movie- he was basically the fourth lead and had the best action sequence. However,
his heel turn was dumb
and the ending in general came off flat.

I dunno. I thought the Statesmen was a cool idea but it isn't executed super well. I would like more Channing Tatum if they end up doing another sequel.

Also, they fucked the audio mixing up. Absolutely horrendous.

As someone who hasn't seen the movie, do they set it up in a way in which a third movie is possible?

Tatum's in the movie for all of 15 minutes, and the ending sets up him having a larger part in a potential sequel. I think that would be the direction to go.

Egerton/Firth/Tatum/Berry would be a super fun spy squad.

snap

Banned
Saw it today. It's a fun movie, but I get the worse reviews. It's kinda like a Oceans Eleven to Oceans Twelve, or a PotC 1 to 2 type thing where the sequel doesn't really expand on the concept nor does it flounder, it's kind of the same thing as the first movie again just in a different package, even if it's well executed.

A good portion of the movie, sans
Glastonbury
, is really fun and well-done, but FUCK THIS MOVIE for
killing Roxy the way they did

Rainy

Banned
Tatum definitely feels like he will be in more of the movie if they make a third one.

Also the Elton John bits were so random but pretty funny.

ryseing

Watching the Double Toasted review, they make a good point. The mentor/protege relationship between Firth/Egerton was the best part of the first film, and Golden Circle gets there somewhat with Mark Strong in that role. But then
Strong gets sidelined and killed off.

Most baffling decision along with the literal
Tatum/Pascal swap

Questionable choices all around.

HiiiLife

I just wish the
statesman and kingsman including whiskey and tequila worked together throughout the entire movie, without the personal agenda. Their scenes were so good his betrayal as the final boss was lame compared to the girl from the first movie

Saw it today. Liked it quite a bit. Slightly less than the first, but still very much enjoyed it.

Romance stuff was BAAAAD. The princess thing was cute for a short gag but focusing on it for an entire movie was a terrible idea, especially given how wooden the actress is. Roxy and Eggsy had so much more chemistry.

Killing off
Roxy/Merlin
sucked, and they won't be able to pull off the Harry thing again to bring them back which is unfortunate.
Merlin
's death scene was incredible though. Never going to view
Country Roads
the same again.

Pleasantly surprised with how much Pedro Pascal there was in the movie- he was basically the fourth lead and had the best action sequence. However,
his heel turn was dumb
and the ending in general came off flat.

I dunno. I thought the Statesmen was a cool idea but it isn't executed super well. I would like more Channing Tatum if they end up doing another sequel.

Also, they fucked the audio mixing up. Absolutely horrendous.

A good portion of the movie, sans
Glastonbury
, is really fun and well-done, but FUCK THIS MOVIE for
killing Roxy the way they did

I'd be pretty surprised if
they don't bring back Roxy. They definitely shot her "death" scene in a way to leave it open for themselves, what with her diving off-screen and such.

Joeku

they don't bring back Roxy. They definitely shot her "death" scene in a way to leave it open for themselves, what with her diving off-screen and such.

Yeah, there's no way they don't
use all that as part of the third movie

Liked it better than I thought I would given the reviews.

Some thoughts:

RIP my girl Roxy. She was awesome, she was good, and now her watch has ended.

MAJOR shoutout to my boy Merlin. Went out like a badass singing loud and proud. And now his watch has ended.

ryseing

Saw it today. Liked it quite a bit. Slightly less than the first, but still very much enjoyed it.

Considering how poorly they pulled off Harry coming back, I'm almost wishing they don't as much as I do love the character.

kirblar

I think the disappointment for a lot of people comes from the uneven storytelling. You can tell a lot was cut out of the movie
like the drunken redneck at the bar with a codename - Bacardi maybe? Was he supposed to be somebody?
so I really hope we get a director's cut.

I still loved the movie, even with the jank.
Apparently the first cut was 3:40. Jesus.

Apparently the first cut was 3:40. Jesus.

Would watch. Was Vaughn trying to make this a 2-parter or something?

Also I watched the Double Toasted review too and it bummed me out how down they all were on it. Like no one appreciated or noticed the nods to campy Roger Moore Bond? I thought it was intentionally super silly since Vaughn obviously loves that franchise. Maybe the next film will be 90s or Craig-era Bond-ish.

Steenbock

Neo Member
Considering how poorly they pulled off Harry coming back, I'm almost wishing they don't as much as I do love the character.

I get the feeling that they didn't really plan for him to come back, so they had to really stretch for a way to pull it off (
though I appreciated that it wasn't a 'one off' magic bullet like so many of these gimmicks are
). With
....Roxy....
, they've already established a number of elements that can easily be used to craft a much more plausible solution...

Roxy has already been shown to be a quick thinker. It's pretty obvious she realized exactly what was happening and had something in mind when she saw the alert (compare her reaction to the other Kingsmen, who looked puzzled, shocked or just resigned when alarms went off). She instantly bolted out of bed like she had a clear plan in mind. Now, she's smart enough to know she can't 'outrun' an incoming missile, so what could that plan be? Well, given all the protective gadgetry the Kingsmen have already used (bulletproof umbrellas, briefcases, super durable taxis, etc.), would it be even remotely odd to assume that they would have armored 'safe rooms' that agents can access in an emergency? And if you couple that with the cryo-systems we saw the Statesmen use, they've got all the necessary groundwork in place to bring her back months after her 'death', when they find her safe room buried in the ruins of the Kingsman mansion as they rebuild it.

Just got back from watching it. Loved every minute. Had no issues with the pacing. Thought it was everything I could hope for from a Kimgsman sequel and I really really hope there's a 3rd film.

Shouta

Saw it today. The first film is better for sure as it's a tighter film but this was pretty enjoyable.

I liked a lot of the individual parts in the film that they used, the Statesmen, the villain, the relationship stuff, and even the callbacks to the first film. I was pleasantly surprised at the main villain's scheme as well. It's not like it hasn't been done before but the reason for it was kinda neat.

The biggest problem with the film is that it doesn't coalesce all of these parts into a focused product. It feels like they were trying to point to something with it but they didn't establish enough for all the characters involved to make the point they put in. There's a lot of scenes that were unnecessary because they didn't lead to anything or inform the viewer.

If they edited it a bit more and so it felt focused, it could have been a far better title and it's already a decent flick.

Would watch. Was Vaughn trying to make this a 2-parter or something?

Also I watched the Double Toasted review too and it bummed me out how down they all were on it. Like no one appreciated or noticed the nods to campy Roger Moore Bond? I thought it was intentionally super silly since Vaughn obviously loves that franchise. Maybe the next film will be 90s or Craig-era Bond-ish.

The DT crew didn't even remember what was the villain's scheme and why. Their critique of the other elements is kinda valid but eh, at least get the plot right.

Jarmel

Banned
I had fun with it but it definitely has problems. Parts seem cut and others seem unnecessary. Really unfocused directing.

louiedog

What was with the boots they were wearing at the music festival btw? Looked...weird and really unfashionable.

What?

Hunter Wellington aka Wellies

Hugely popular and fashionable for the last few years which has had the unfortunate side effect of the quality going to shit. They used to be good boots. I would assume very appropriate for a festival in a field in England.

Arc

I mean it wasn't very good but I really enjoyed myself.

Also weird product placement. Doesn't seem like the kind of movie to heavily feature Apple products.

I had a pretty good time with it. A little messy, but the action was really frentic and I really appreciate this kind of artificial comic book-y world.

Question:
was any reason given as to why Whisky kept denying Ginger Ale's agent application? Was she a secret drug user, or was he just sexist?

Joeku

I had a pretty good time with it. A little messy, but the action was really frentic and I really appreciate this kind of artificial comic book-y world.

Question:
was any reason given as to why Whisky kept denying Ginger Ale's agent application? Was she a secret drug user, or was he just sexist?

It's in the 3:40 cut. I guess.

It's in the 3:40 cut. I guess.

Ah of course, how silly of me to expect the footage they put out to actually be explained in said footage.

I honestly have no clue how they managed to get a cut that long. Once your script exceeds 200 pages don't you kind of have to stop and say "Wait a minute..."?

Animator

Saw it and loved it. Theatre clapped and cheered afterwards which made me feel good because usually I work on trash movies. :3

Regarding Merlin:

We actually worked on a scene where he crawls into the diner at the end missing his legs. The story was his suit is armor which protected his body or something. I was surprised to see that cut from the final cut considering they added it because people in focus tests were upset about Merlin's death.

Maybe they will add it back in directors cut or something.

Jarmel

Banned
Saw it and loved it. Theatre clapped and cheered afterwards which made me feel good because usually I work on trash movies. :3

Regarding Merlin:

We actually worked on a scene where he crawls into the diner at the end missing his legs. The story was his suit is armor which protected his body or something. I was surprised to see that cut from the final cut considering they added it because people in focus tests were upset about Merlin's death.

That sounds fucking terrible.

Qasiel

Saw it last night and enjoyed it incredibly. I've seen a few people's comments about why they didn't enjoy the film and it's the same things from the first one which makes me think that they can't see that it's an over-the-top parody of James Bond.

IISANDERII

Watched it last night and am somewhat disappointed. Absolutely loved the original. Whereas the original was several generations evolved take on a Roger Moore James Bond, the Golden Circle is more of a modern action thriller. And those are often garbage. but this was better than average.
With the unexpected popularity of the original, it seems that the studio executives felt like they needed to get their paws all over the sequel to try and make it their next big franchise and take some credit. Shame.

Jumeira

Banned
Thought it was shite. I cant get over his chavy-ness, which i thought he lost in Kingsman, or at least toned down. Must've completely forgot Kingsman lol.

Also, ending was terrible.

HariKari

That sounds fucking terrible.

Yeah. The way Merlin is played in this basically saves the movie. That and Elton John. Rest was pretty bad.

Poor
Pedro Pascal

Saw it last night and enjoyed it incredibly. I've seen a few people's comments about why they didn't enjoy the film and it's the same things from the first one which makes me think that they can't see that it's an over-the-top parody of James Bond.

I see it just fine. This didn't work on that level. Not the same way the original did, which I loved. This was more of a generic action film.

Question:

My theory is that
she reminded him of his dead high school sweetheart and he was being overprotective.

Speaking of Ginger Ale, I also assume there was a scene of
her convincing Merlin to join the field. He seemed pretty content being the tech operative when she asked him if he wanted to be out there. Fast forward a bit, and he's ready for field action during the climax.

I would happily watch four hours of Kingsman.

Yup. The movie was definitely missing aspects to piece certain bits together.

ZeroX03

Banned
Question:

My theory is he doesn't want to see another woman he's fond of get killed. e: wow right on time with the poster above damn

Regarding Merlin:

Bonkers. Wow.

Replicant

I liked it. I thought it was fun.

But fuck them for killing Roxy, Merlin, and JB. I didn't even want Harry back if this is the result of that decision. On the other hand, I like that they made who was essentially a throwaway Princess character into a genuine love interest for Eggsy.

Top Bottom