• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brexit | OT3 | A Feast for Crows

CCS

Banned
https://twitter.com/technicallyron/status/911222159820943360

At least she is being honest #florencespeech
DKVPsi6W4AAaV6d.jpg

jelly

This speech is actually about as cheering as it gets for us remainders currently. Yes, we’ll be leaving in the EU in March 2019 but there’s another 2 years of guaranteed regulatory compliance with the single market and a chance for the debate to change over the intervening years. For example, if we had a change of govt to Labour in the intervening time and the economy was ticking along nicely, would they really want to actually go through with leaving the single market? There would be a lot of pressure not to and make the single market membership more permanent.

You forget Corbyn doesn't like the EU either and politicians are still afraid of losing their seats in leave areas so Labour is likely to be just as stupid as the Tories. It's will of the people, ugh.

Please no. There's a non-zero chance they'd wash up on European shores.

Also, you forgot BoJo.

Add BoJo. They'd be neutered abroad:they wouldn't be able to rely on foggy notions of English liberties and patriotic inanities.

But to be safe, chuck them off St Agnes.

theaface

I've been in work all day so I'm just catching up but I'm assuming the speech was a complete load of pish and everyone and their gran is currently stabbing Theresa May in the back?

None of the news channels managed to sum it up as succinctly and accurately as you, good job!

tuxfool

Banned

Winning.Can also link directly to Moody's.

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moo...g-to-Aa2-changes-outlook-to-stable--PR_372649

The key drivers for the decision to downgrade the UK's ratings to Aa2 are as follows:

1. The outlook for the UK's public finances has weakened significantly since the negative outlook on the Aa1 rating was assigned, with the government's fiscal consolidation plans increasingly in question and the debt burden expected to continue to rise;

2. Fiscal pressures will be exacerbated by the erosion of the UK's medium-term economic strength that is likely to result from the manner of its departure from the European Union (EU), and by the increasingly apparent challenges to policy-making given the complexity of Brexit negotiations and associated domestic political dynamics.

Concurrently, Moody's has also downgraded to Aa2 the Bank of England's issuer and senior unsecured bond ratings from Aa1. The rating on its senior unsecured medium-term note (MTN) program was downgraded to (P)Aa2 from (P)Aa1. The short-term issuer ratings were affirmed at Prime-1. The ratings outlook was also changed to stable from negative.

The foreign and local currency bond ceilings and the local-currency deposit ceiling remain unchanged at Aaa/P-1. The foreign-currency long-term deposit ceiling was lowered to Aa2 from Aaa, and the short-term deposit ceilings remain P-1.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Guy Verhofstadt serving some REALNESS to Theresa in his reply:

In case you thought they hadn't noticed, they will NOT discuss future partnerships until you sort Ireland, EU citizens and the bill, Theresa. Go back to the start.

Regarding Northern Ireland, he isn't proposing a real solution either.

It's nice to want things, but having Northern Ireland in a completely different economy from the rest of the UK, likely with WTO tariffs between it and the rest of the country as well, well that is simply not going to happen either.

The DUP would definitely prefer the entire UK in the EEA and Customs Union to a very hard border in the Irish Sea, though they're currently living in a Brexit fantasy. Most of Northern Ireland's population wants to remain in the UK, but remaining part of it in name only and thus being tied in almost every way to the laws of the Republic and the European Union instead...that's the most obvious red line in politics that exists.

It's nice to want things, but having Northern Ireland in a completely different economy from the rest of the UK, likely with WTO tariffs between it and the rest of the country as well, well that is simply not going to happen either.

What's a real solution? Because most "solutions" for Northern Ireland appear to be of the possibly "troubling" kind, all but the "<insert magic here>" ones.

There will be a solution, but chances are someone is going to mightily dislike it, and let's just hope it's not enough to do something stupid about it. For the moment it's a game of "You be the bad guy, no you be the bad guy"...

Nilaul

It's only a matter of time before the whole city realises that being hopeful and trying to stay in London is a lost cause and that they should all move out. I don't even see a Norway type deal being proposed to UK.

But hey at least we took back control.

Xando

Already up to 40bn today

DKWti6kXUAApWXe.jpg

Gonna be 100bn by wednesday

Also german newspaper reports May invited top european officials to attent in florence but all declined

keep

Ah, the old Brexiteer approach of "*I* am LEAVING, what will *you* do to accommodate my leave?" :)

The EU has made it clear on several occasions that it's the UK who decided to leave the EU, so the onus is on them to suggest a solution that works and respects what the EU wants, which is to protect Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement.

If Theresa May didn't have a clear idea on how to leave the EU without fucking Northern Ireland up, why did she invoke Article 50 so quickly? She's an utterly irresponsible cunt and the EU has no fault at all in this mess.

And actually, if you read between the lines of his reply, you can see he is suggesting a solution: he says the EU wants no border at all between Ireland and Northern Ireland, which means NOT LEAVING THE FRIGGING SINGLE MARKET.

CCS

Banned
Ah, the old Brexiteer approach of "*I* am LEAVING, what will *you* do to accommodate my leave?" :)

The EU has made it clear on several occasions that it's the UK who decided to leave the EU, so the onus is on them to suggest a solution that works and respects what the EU wants, which is to protect Ireland and the Good Friday Agreement.

If Theresa May didn't have a clear idea on how to leave the EU without fucking Northern Ireland up, why did she invoke Article 50 so quickly? She's an utterly irresponsible cunt and the EU has no fault at all in this mess.

And actually, if you read between the lines of his reply, you can see he is suggesting a solution: he says the EU wants no border at all between Ireland and Northern Ireland, which means NOT LEAVING THE FRIGGING SINGLE MARKET.

Yeah, exactly. Ultimately, when you boil it down, there are only two ways to approach NI:

1. Hard border

2. No hard border (i.e. NI remaining in customs union/single market), meaning either the whole of the UK does the same or we have to have a hard border between NI and the rest of the UK.

Any solution is going to have to be a variant on one of those two themes, but the government steadfastly refuse to accept it because they don't like those options.

Xando

This Süddeutsche Zeitung piece is great:

Ihr Ton ist weich, ihre Ansage ebenso: Wir sind Partner, wir teilen dieselben Werte, London hat ein Interesse an einer starken EU. Wir bleiben Freunde und regeln den Brexit als Freunde. Fast, so scheint es, hätte sie "bitte" gesagt. 35 Minuten spricht die Premierministerin über die Zukunft Großbritanniens in Europa, beantwortet ein paar Fragen sehr vage, dann ist sie weg. So wort- und gestenlos, wie sie gekommen war.

"Her tone is soft just like her statement: We are partners, we share the same values, London has an interest in a strong EU. We'll stay friends and solve Brexit as friends.
Almost it seems as she said "please". 35 minutes the PM speaks about GB future in europe, answers a few questions very vague then she's gone. Almost as silent and without gestures as she came"

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/grossbritannien-briten-wollen-freunde-bleiben-1.3679177

Incase you were wondering how european press reacts to her speech.

PJV3

The hard Brexiteers are just laying the foundations for needing to rejoin, they should take the longer path but they fear we will never leave.

Jackpot

Banned
derp

Treasury criticises Moody's after UK credit rating is downgraded

The Treasury accused the ratings agency of being out of date following May’s speech, which it said provided more clarity about the UK’s relationship with the EU.

“The prime minister has just set out an ambitious vision for the UK’s future relationship with the EU, making clear that both sides will benefit from a new and unique partnership,” the Treasury said.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ises-moodys-after-uk-credit-rating-downgraded

Zaph

"Did you not hear May? She said everything will be fine! You're so out of touch"

Feels like the world's gone crazy.

Fucking lol.

What world are we living in? I feel like I should be seeing glitches.

Huge hurricanes, deadly earthquakes, massive solar flares, President Trump...

Honestly at this point I'm convinced this universe really is just a simulation, and we're either seeing reality glitching the fuck out, or we're experiencing the same thing as the characters in the Sims do when someone plays while bored and drunk with a save file they don't care about.

This is just me, but: I kind of imagine May as someone who walked into a blue police telephone box in the 1950's, then immediately turned around and exited in 2016, completely oblivious as to what happened. Meanwhile a very confused Doctor is wondering how someone doesn't notice that.

Acorn

Remember when the credit rating was the most important thing in the world according to Tories. Since then we've been downgraded twice.

CTLance

My personal working theory is that British politicians are collectively suffering from a new strain of Rabies or BSE. Or maybe lead poisoning. Fluoridation? Alien parasites! There's gotta be something. We're just not looking hard enough.

I say, let's start a monthly lottery over the rights to extract blood from UK politicians as prizes, and then run some tests on the extracted samples. All of the tests, to be honest. But only one per sample. No matter how many samples of blood(etc) we need. "Jab the prime minister with a needle" could become a really popular ambition in life (and not one that gets you locked away in jail for a few decades.)

I bet this would even turn a profit. Which we could turn into research grants. To invent more tests. Err, I mean, discover new, hitherto unknown ailments.

Fledz

I'm still of the hope and belief that Brexit won't actually happen. As an EU (and Commonwealth citizen) in London, I'm noticing more and more people from all sides starting to come to terms with how fucked up this all is and whether we should just sweep it under the carpet.

"Did you not hear May? She said everything will be fine! You're so out of touch"

You've just reminded me, I should watch The Matrix again tonight after dinner. It's been a while.

PJV3

It sounds like one of fucking dreadful keep calm and carry on statements, the country took a turn for the worse when they became popular.

I'm still of the hope and belief that Brexit won't actually happen. As an EU (and Commonwealth citizen) in London, I'm noticing more and more people from all sides starting to come to terms with how fucked up this all is and whether we should just sweep it under the carpet.

London always knew how fucked up this was. Try talking to your average swivel eyed loon in the rest of the country.

(You know, the ones who've only ever met a handful of immigrants)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I was in London this weekend and watching labor, the tories and Peggy argue their cases was absolutely surreal and everyone is still scared to point out that the Leave voters were informationally unqualified to vote. They genuinely demonstrably voted for a fantasy.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I was in London this weekend and watching labor, the tories and Peggy argue their cases was absolutely surreal and everyone is still scared to point out that the Leave voters were informationally unqualified to vote. They genuinely demonstrably voted for a fantasy.
Will of the people.
Democracy.
British people have spoken.

Fledz

London always knew how fucked up this was. Try talking to your average swivel eyed loon in the rest of the country.

(You know, the ones who've only ever met a handful of immigrants)

Oh for sure. I meant more from around the country as I work with people from all over, so we often have these conversations about their thoughts but also the people they meet in their local areas.

theaface

We need to reload the 2015 election savegame and go the Miliband route instead. Country wouldn't be in a such a bad situation right now.

Oh, please - did you see him eat that bacon roll? Someone like that couldn't be trusted with getting on with the job of getting the best deal for the British people as we enter this imaginative, creative and prosperous new era.

Top Bottom