• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall Beta (PC/Xbone) Impressions (No Key Begging/Trading or I will ban you!)

I was getting 20-22 when I normally get 3-4 on Steam.

Those numbers aren't accurate. Origin is really weird with downloading stuff. It tells you that you're downloading more/faster than you actually are. The beta DL size is actually around 5/6GB instead of 12. I've got no idea why it's like that.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Huh really, I have around the same specs. Maybe I should give the pc beta a go.

You'll easily be able to play it (it's a source game after all), but it doesn't seem as optimized as say, Portal 2.

If you get nasty stuttering like I did, just disable vsync and you should be good to go.

BraXzy

I'm really interested to see what things Respawn have kept hidden up their sleeve. They keep mentioning they have stuff that is yet to be seen which they have started to touch on with things like the Burn Cards.. Imagine if they have one final thing to announce that is mind blowing. One can dream for more cream on top right?

Nafai1123

Banned
Well finally got EA to give me a key. Downloading through Origin now. Sounds like the servers are still down?

I will be trying it out with a controller to see how balanced it is with aim assist.

OrangeOak

My connection is shit, my top speeds on any website or program is about 880kbs tops.

This is what I was getting on there this morning.

IQ4UvEw.png

Something that would have normally taken me a whole night to download took me less than 2 hours to download.

I was so amazed I had to take a screenshot because I will never see speeds like that again.

I don't know how is it possible because I have 2mb connection where my top speeds are around 450kb/s and this beta was downloading sometimes at 3mb/s.I downloaded it in 3h and normally it takes around 5h for 10GB.
It doesn't matter though because there are no servers!

RedSwirl

This shit's not gonna have any problems on a 760 is it?

And how does it compare to say... Modern Warfare 1? For me to really think about dropping $60 on Titanfall I think it has to be good enough to knock Team Fortress 2 off of my current multiplayer rotation.

The Cowboy

I just watched Robocop (I needed big robots!), and still no titans after it finished :(, don't make me watch another one dammit!,

BY2K

Membero Americo
If it's a bug in the netcode or something like that, this should have been fixed pretty quickly, I think...

louiedog

By using the power of lies.

So it seems.

This is the second Origin game I've downloaded in the last couple of weeks and they both did this. Either Origin has a special deal with Comcast (and other ISPs from the looks of things) to ignore customer speed caps, or they're not calculating things correctly.

Since I checked the bandwidth monitor on my router and found the same ~3.5 MB/sec speeds that I get from Steam and other sources, I'm going with the latter.

toa95

My question is, why can't we play the tutorial? I mean I get it's an online game but come on. Let us at least test out the basics of the game.

sflufan

Banned
Seeing as how all that I've been able to experience of Titanfall so far is the intro splash screens and the title screen background, I've decided it only appropriate to rate my experience so far.

I'll give it a 7/10 -- the title screen background graphics do look quite exciting, but they're a little dark for my tastes.

HelloMeow

It decompresses while installing, I assume. My data usage app suggests the download was in the 5GB range.

Indeed. It's not accurate.

The files are compressed, so you're only downloading 5-6gb.
If it bases the displayed download speed on the percentage of the data that is downloaded and the total size of the installed game, you get funky numbers.

louiedog

It decompresses while installing, I assume. My data usage app suggests the download was in the 5GB range.

I had a window popup during install showing the Titanfall Audio Decompression Utility that unpacked 6 GB of audio files. I asked a couple of other people and they didn't report seeing that. I guess I'm special, and also, beta.

TomShoe

Banned
My question is, why can't we play the tutorial? I mean I get it's an online game but come on. Let us at least test out the basics of the game.

The bots you see in the tutorial are still powered by the cloud. Tbh it feels like buying a disc is just a license to play the game, since it has all the functionality of a coaster if the servers are down.

The Cowboy

I had a window popup during install showing the Titanfall Audio Decompression Utility that unpacked 6 GB of audio files. I asked a couple of other people and they didn't report seeing that. I guess I'm special, and also, beta.

I saw that to, a little greyish box.

Top Bottom