• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Jedi2016

The game's not optimized for 3D yet. I've tried it, and it doesn't run worth a damn. A lot of objects are rendered inverted (closer when they should be further), and it was running at around 3-4fps.

Also, just having 3D enabled in control panel, even when you're not actually using it, causes effects like motion blur to not show up, and seems to have a small performance hit even when not active. To play the game decently, I have to disable 3D entirely.

I believe they plan on supporting 3D later on, but they haven't done any work to that end yet.

How good would it work at a fairly average laptop? The laptop is barley above the min spec but those screenshots makes it look like it won't run well.
The last time I tried, it was unplayable on lowest settings on mine (i7-2630QM, 4GB RAM, 1GB GT540M). But that was a pretty old build - the performance may have improved since then.

ACH1LL3US

A few more unedited Pagani pics!

7518908556_8838f41e84_b.jpg

7518913034_13b4bb31e0_b.jpg

7518919812_dae2d249cf_b.jpg

7518902202_04d933361c_b.jpg

7518903410_f030e252df_b.jpg

I hate to quote these but wow.... I am building a gaming pc.....NOW

What are you graphic settings? Pc setup?

What is FXAA? If I get a gtx 680 will FXAA be usable in all recent games?

Does CARS have different cockpit views? Can I mod it like shift 2 and use the helmet cam without the look to apex?

Thanks in advance!!

Does CARS have different cockpit views? Can I mod it like shift 2 and use the helmet cam without the look to apex?

Thanks in advance!!

Those are replays, which look better than actual game

Polyphony

Thanks in advance!!

FXAA is an anti-aliasing method that is relatively cheap ie costs you minimal performance in return. On the downside, you won't have the best image quality using FXAA. Based on personal experience, I find SMAA to be better overall.

But this is all irrelevant if you build your pc with a 680. You can slap MSAA 16x over the game or any kind of expensive AA technique and it will still run flawlessly. To answer your question, yes you will be able to use FXAA on any recent game, but you will find yourself using even better AA methods with such a card. I'm running this game on a 560 Ti and I'm smooth sailing with 60 fps @ 1080p.

There are also no model swapping in this game, so what you see in pictures is what you get in-game. The replays add some additional DOF effects, which I'd argue make things look even worse at times, but the in-game graphics are the same as in replay. People tend to be deceived by the replay angles and think that the game looks better in replay, which is not the case.

Blizzard

Banned
I think FXAA injection can also get you enhanced colors based on different profiles, which is what some people use for CARS, Skyrim, etc.

ACH1LL3US

FXAA is an anti-aliasing method that is relatively cheap ie costs you minimal performance in return. On the downside, you won't have the best image quality using FXAA. Based on personal experience, I find SMAA to be better overall.

But this is all irrelevant if you build your pc with a 680. You can slap MSAA 16x over the game or any kind of expensive AA technique and it will still run flawlessly. To answer your question, yes you will be able to use FXAA on any recent game, but you will find yourself using even better AA methods with such a card. I'm running this game on a 560 Ti and I'm smooth sailing with 60 fps @ 1080p.

There are also no model swapping in this game, so what you see in pictures is what you get in-game. The replays add some additional DOF effects, which I'd argue make things look even worse at times, but the in-game graphics are the same as in replay. People tend to be deceived by the replay angles and think that the game looks better in replay, which is not the case.

Thank you for te reply!

Do you know what cockpit views are available for this game?

Polyphony

True that, FXAA can also alter tones, contrast, sharpness, etc... I used this one recommended by darkdeus and it looks awesome. Less jaggies than the in-game FXAA option.

Yes, all cars will have cockpit view, just don't expect 500 of them. The game currently has a few dozens.

Edit: oops, misread your question

Darkdeus

Those are replays, which look better than actual game

What no they're not. I took those straight from gameplay. Just paused the game and used the free camera. The replays add nothing to the graphics anyways. There are no post processing effects or AA added so i don't know where you got that idea. Those shots were taken with an fxaa injector though.

What no they're not. I took those straight from gameplay. Just paused the game and used the free camera. The replays add nothing to the graphics anyways. There are no post processing effects or AA added so i don't know where you got that idea. Those shots were taken with an fxaa injector though.

Which graphical settings do you use? Photorealism? Film hdr mode?

Darkdeus

Which graphical settings do you use? Photorealism? Film hdr mode?

Not to be rude but why do you keep saying photorealism? There are four different HDR modes. Simple, Linear, Hable filmic, and photographic. I used hable filmic hdr, and turned hdr off at times for those shots. They were taken with the cloudy weather settings as well. Everything else is ultra dx 11 settings, 8x MSAA, and injected FXAA.

Not to be rude but why do you keep saying photorealism? There are four different HDR modes. Simple, Linear, Hable filmic, and photographic. I used hable filmic hdr, and turned hdr off at times for those shots. They were taken with the cloudy weather settings as well. Everything else is ultra dx 11 settings, 8x MSAA, and injected FXAA.

I checked the settings quickly so I read it as photorealism at first :p

Photographic is ofc the right one

Anyway, in your opinion, which of those settings do you think looks the best? And what is the best looking map?

Darkdeus

ah ok. I would try bologna(imola), connecticut hill (Watkins glen) and Sakkito (suzuka). They are all probably further along in development than the other tracks. If your a full member check out Azure coast as well. I would just try playing around with the hdr and weather settings. Try turning hdr off at first and then try the hable filmic and photographic one.

Xyber

I can't get this game to run or look good with my 6950, no AA at all and I still only get 40-ish fps. Guess this will have to wait until I get a 670.

Blizzard

Banned
Game looks horrible during gameplay. Dont let those screens fool you. Running max settings does nothing for this game.
...??? What build are you running, with what graphics card and drivers?

There are videos, as mentioned above, or like the following with 1080p available:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYohU51nBkQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJc7Y_11FuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8Irm7D0iE

The graphics aren't perfect, but if you consider all of the above "horrible" then PLEASE share which racing games you're playing that look better in motion. :X

Polyphony

Maybe "horrible" refers to the IQ... I don't know. There are still flickering shadows on some tracks and other AA-induced artifacts, but it's to be expected for an alpha. After I messed around with the AA settings and used a proper FXAA injector, I now have visuals that look exactly like darkdeus' screenshots so maybe these people should look into that.

ed3dfx

Slightly Mad Studios (SMS)
The game's not optimized for 3D yet. I've tried it, and it doesn't run worth a damn. A lot of objects are rendered inverted (closer when they should be further), and it was running at around 3-4fps.

Also, just having 3D enabled in control panel, even when you're not actually using it, causes effects like motion blur to not show up, and seems to have a small performance hit even when not active. To play the game decently, I have to disable 3D entirely.

I believe they plan on supporting 3D later on, but they haven't done any work to that end yet.

Hi , I just wanted to say that I made a mistake yesterday when I mentioned that 3d vision doesn't work. It Does, but only in DX9 version of pCars.exe

I'm almost finished uploading a 3D trailer showing some of the recent footage in pCARS, i'll post it here once YT finishes converting it.

Few things to keep in mind, most people don't have 3d vision but you can use red/blue 3d glasses that come in cereal boxes ( paper ones ), Youtube limits 3d videos to 1280x720 (640x720) per Eye I think.

ed3dfx

I present the first 3d gameplay movie of Project CARS.

A few things to note: Youtube limits 3d movies to 1280x720 (640x720) per eye I think. Quality is not great but watchable... Original is captured at 1920x1080 per EYE... unfortunately no host I can find supports that. Ideally you want to see this on some sort of 3D Tv or monitor that supports 3d in color. You can use red/cyan glasses (the paper ones!)

Click Image Above to view Video on Youtube
Please note for 3d vision you need to click on the 3D icon in youtube and select the “HTML5 Stereo View” (method from: www.youtube.com/select_3d_mode.)

You must have latest Firefox version from Mozilla. ( HTML5 Stereo View is not supported in IE or Chrome)

Raxum

So I found this thread today and it piqued my interest, after looking at the game a bit more I've decided to buy into it. Got myself a Full Member Toolkit and registered on the forums there as Raxxum. Currently downloading the game overnight (and it's going quite slow for some reason).

Out of interest, do they have the different career modes in there in any form yet? I've always enjoyed the drifting parts in car games and was wondering if there was a drift mode in yet. I understand it's still pre-alpha and all but wondering about it all the same.

Megasoum

Banned
So I found this thread today and it piqued my interest, after looking at the game a bit more I've decided to buy into it. Got myself a Full Member Toolkit and registered on the forums there as Raxxum. Currently downloading the game overnight (and it's going quite slow for some reason).

Out of interest, do they have the different career modes in there in any form yet? I've always enjoyed the drifting parts in car games and was wondering if there was a drift mode in yet. I understand it's still pre-alpha and all but wondering about it all the same.

There's no career in right now. It's mostly a time trial simulator for now. You can do races with AI but most of the time the AI is not fully implemented yet so most of them will crash before the end of the first lap.

No drifting right now and none planned as far as I know? Maybe I missed it somewhere but I don't think so.

scitek

Why is this thing downloading so slowly? And after a half-hour or so, it just stalls. I've had to resume a handful of times already since last night.

Raxum

There's no career in right now. It's mostly a time trial simulator for now. You can do races with AI but most of the time the AI is not fully implemented yet so most of them will crash before the end of the first lap.

No drifting right now and none planned as far as I know? Maybe I missed it somewhere but I don't think so.

Ah I was just looking at the Multi-discipline Career chart and Drift is on the top right above Rally, so I figured it would be in there somewhere.

Either way, can't help but support this game, it looks amazing.

Why do you use both? Why not just 8x MSAA? Any chance you could provide some comparison images (no AA vs. MSAA only vs. FXAA only vs. MSAA+FXAA) with the framerate for each?

MSAA can only resolve aliasing when there is a differential in depth (it's a technique that uses depth buffer super sampling). FXAA is a pattern matching technique so it works internal to planar geometry where there is high frequency data.

mclaren777

I'm just curious if the benefits of FXAA outweigh the drawbacks (I personally dislike it) given that he can comfortably run 8x MSAA on his machine.

Darkdeus

I can't comfortably run it : ( I have an old dual core e8400 so I am severely bottlenecked by it. I think my gtx470 would be okay if I had a quad core, which is what you really need to be able to run project cars well. I just use those settings for screenshots, and get 15-30 fps. For actually playing the game I only use the fxaa, which is not very resource intensive and get 30-60fps, which is still not enough to properly play a sim. Benchmarks would be pointless on my system though because of the severe cpu bottleneck. I plan to try and upgrade next summer though. Until then I can keep playing GSC 2012 at 200 fps : )

ed3dfx

ugh... are these trailers official?
The game looks great, but it could be better presented.

Hi, Imo those trailers are good for being fan made... there are some newer ones out now, but I'm sure you've seen them already.

ed3dfx

Anyone playing this with a 360 controller? Don't have the room for a steering wheel setup unfortunately

I play with 360 controller 95% of the time, and I enjoy it, some builds feel better than others when it comes to response. I think they are constantly tweaking and experimenting.

Top Bottom