• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

demolitio

Jesus, I gotta get the money to get this. I love racing games but I'm a real sucker for graphically pleasing games...lol. Hopefully my insurance rebate will get here soon.

Thanks for all the temptations guys.

smiggyRT

Some shots from the new build(254). They've added the rain spray effects!
7563044828_8e6b1c842f_b.jpg

Wow, stunning shot.

So, I'm trying out the new patcher, it detected my version fine, but then it decided to download the full game instead of just the patch -.-

Watevaman

This might be a silly question, but is that an option in replays to be able to choose a stationary trackside camera and use that? Because as far as I can tell, the camera movements with Ctrl+K are tied to the car you drive and move as such.

Mascot

Could see it ending up also releasing on nextgen, depending on when both game and consoles roll out.
This may well be the determining factor as to whether I end up buying an über-fuckoff gaming PC or staying on the console path. From what I've seen I don't believe current-gen consoles will do this game justice at all.
There HAS to be plans to release this on next-gen consoles, surely? Ports from PC should be relatively straightforward?

magawolaz

This may well be the determining factor as to whether I end up buying an über-fuckoff gaming PC or staying on the console path. From what I've seen I don't believe current-gen consoles will do this game justice at all.
There HAS to be plans to release this on next-gen consoles, surely? Ports from PC should be relatively straightforward?
Well there's WiiU, if that counts.

amar212

Difficult question.

There was a discussion about it ovethere, but no details were given. As I understood only plan so far is the current gen release. We can expect a summer 2013 release while tentative schedule for the X720 should be either holiday 2013 or early 2014 (PS4 getting 2014 release).

Of course, I would be the happiest man alive to see the next-gen release (I would triple-dip than, no probs there), but as things stands now, more *no* than *yes*.

But I agree with the premise - ports should be very straightforward and I think how proper pCARS release on next-gen as early launch-title would benefit everybody.

adelante

I tried to take some footage with those graphic settings so people could see it motion but it came out pretty choppy at times. I was only getting 15-20fps with fraps running : ( You guys can check them out though. I don't think it would be worth it to turn them into a proper trailer. I really to upgrade to a quad core!

Suzuka FPS test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZunMEtGh4
Bathurst FPS test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHFXuio_mFc

Ok... that is just ridiculous. Choppy framerate aside, that is the most stunning lighting+dof combo I've ever seen in a racing game replay. A shame you couldn't capture it smoothly! :D

disap.ed

I tried to take some footage with those graphic settings so people could see it motion but it came out pretty choppy at times. I was only getting 15-20fps with fraps running : ( You guys can check them out though. I don't think it would be worth it to turn them into a proper trailer. I really to upgrade to a quad core!

Ask Ian for a GTX690 :)

Shaneus

Definitely have to play with DoF more. Damn, that looks so good.

_machine

Why do you use both? Why not just 8x MSAA? Any chance you could provide some comparison images (no AA vs. MSAA only vs. FXAA only vs. MSAA+FXAA) with the framerate for each?
It's because MSAA doesn't touch shader or alpha aliasing, only polygon edges and shader aliasing is one of deferred rendering main weaknesses in IQ and since SSAA isn't implemented yet you need some sort of PPAA for the remaining aliasing from MSAA. Unfortunately the current FXAA doesn't produce as good as quality as the stock injector. SSAA and/or resolution downsampling should get rid of all aliasing, but it's going to be even more heavy on performance. The game isn't optimized at all yet so that should hopefully make up for the perfomance loss.

Ask Ian for a GTX690 :)
Gotta say that it was very nice of them just to give JonZ one for free :)

Mascot

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is CARS being aimed at PC gaming tech forecasted one year from now, or for current set-ups?
Or, because everything is scaleable, is it a moot question?
What's a typical cost for a state-of-the-art PC gaming rig capable of taking CARS in its stride with everything maxed out?

Dilly

Banned
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but is CARS being aimed at PC gaming tech forecasted one year from now, or for current set-ups?
What's a typical cost for a state-of-the-art PC gaming rig capable of taking CARS in its stride with everything maxed out?

At the moment, I can max everything with a PC that's about a year old.

ACH1LL3US

What are the settings you are running in the game? What is your pc setup? (sorry if this has been asked before!)

_machine

Well it's bound to be pretty scalable since it needs to run on 360/PS3/WiiU, but with maxed out with 2xDownsampling+8xMSAA it might take more than a single GTX680 even when it's optimized, but it's hard to say. They're definitely aiming to take everything out the consoles and current gen pc's.

ACH1LL3US

Well it's bound to be pretty scalable since it needs to run on 360/PS3/WiiU, but with maxed out with 2xDownsampling+8xMSAA it might take more than a single GTX680 even when it's optimized, but it's hard to say. They're definitely aiming to take everything out the consoles and current gen pc's.

Ouch, so my new gtx680 wont run this game at 60 fps at 1080p... ugh

The game doesn't look all that impressive while playing

Bought it because of the screens posted, left me disappointed

Ugh, so it doesn't look like the screenies posted above? What settings are you using etc?

_machine

Ouch, so my new gtx680 wont run this game at 60 fps at 1080p... ugh

Ugh, so it doesn't look like the screenies posted above? What settings are you using etc?
I didn't say it wouldn't, it's impossible to know exactly yet, but currently it should have no problem running the game maxed at 60fps and the game isn't even optimized yet. The amount of cars affects perfromace as well; having 60fps in TT doesn't mean you will have the same performance in 64 player race. The new cloud tech is apparently very tough on the GPU so this week's build might be a bit stutterish, but that'll hopefully be fixed in a few weeks.

I'll post a ingame screen without any external adjustments in a minute, that should give an idea on how the game looks when played (it does look better in motion imho).

Blizzard

Banned

You posted several things like this on the last page, such as:

Those are replays, which look better than actual game

Which was then contradicted by people who had made the screenshots. Did you see the videos that were posted? I think we mentioned several links, including some with high-res options. Do you consider those videos not impressive, or do you think they are replay mode enhanced somehow? If they are unimpressive, which racing games currently have more impressive realtime graphics? :/ I feel like I'm missing something.

fresquito

Erms... a racing game doesn't look as impressive while playing as it does when taking photos with crazy angles and well thought compositions? What am I misssing here?

eso76

does the game have a proper replay mode ?
the videos don't look anything like those screens from last page in terms of..anything.

_machine

So, here are some completely unedited, 100% ingame shots illustrating how the game looks on my computer when playing. The game is running in Free Practice, default weather files, default cameras expect for the shots showing the cars, which were taken using the free camera. There's no post processing AA so there's quite a bit of shader aliasing.

My settings are:
Reflections - High
Car Detail - High
Shadow Detail - Medium (the fuzzy shadows are a result of the medium quality shadows)
World Detail - High
AA - MSAA x8, no post processing AA, no external injectors.

http://www.abload.de/img/unedited6d3kbn.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/unedited5ctkn6.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/unedited4yfkjm.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/unedited34ij8k.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/unedited29ujoh.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/unedited1mdk5k.jpg

Now, I don't know what you think about them, but for me it's easily one of the best looking games around even though there's shitload of work left to do; the materials need more work, AA needs work, lighting needs some work, cars aren't finished, tracks aren't anywhere near finished, shadow renderer is going to be partly reworked, etc, but the game is definitely on it's way to be the best looking game to date.

EDIT: Gamma seems to be a little off in those shots and it doesn't look quite as good as it does on my screen, but otherwise that's pretty much how it looks for me and that's not even maxed out.

EDIT: Car detail was High, not Ultra.

_machine

I think it looks amazing. What framerate does it run at with that level of fidelity?
Varies a lot and I haven't really benchmarked the game, but I had a stable 60fps when taking those shots. Menus are very, very sluggish for me though and dusk usually is a bit heavy on performance for me, but overall more than playable even in +20 car races.

5850 & stock i920 combo, btw. And also, the car detail was on high, not on ultra which can really affect performance since I believe the LODX has around (or was it even more?) 100K more polygons than the LODA.

disap.ed

Varies a lot and I haven't really benchmarked the game, but I had a stable 60fps when taking those shots. Menus are very, very sluggish for me though and dusk usually is a bit heavy on performance for me, but overall more than playable even in +20 car races.

5850 & stock i920 combo, btw. And also, the car detail was on high, not on ultra which can really affect performance since I believe the LODX has around (or was it even more?) 100K more polygons than the LODA.

From the top of my head:
LODX: ~200.000 polys
LODA: ~60.000 polys

_machine

From the top of my head:
LODX: ~200.000 polys
LODA: ~60.000 polys
Yup, it's pretty crazy and the difference isn't exactly huge, but it's nice for those with beefy hardware.

cloooooudsnbj9g.jpg

As I mentioned before, clouds are coming back, but it'll crush your performance at first:
SMS said:
Placeholder for light rain is no longer clear. I've added the visuals from med cloud, so that it's closer to what you expect to see in that condition. I've also added the correct heavy cloud settings in, despite not being 100 percent happy with it because of the condition blends and dusk lighting on these clouds.

Kevin is working on some optimisations, then we need to resolve some of the formation and cloud distribution issues. After that we will look at some lighting improvements such as IBL, rim and possibly overall grad lighting.
-
We're veering off topic - the point of my post was that the initial version of the clouds has had no optimisation so performs very poorly. This will improve, regardless of PC spec.

I'll be able give you guys some screens tomorrow when the next build is released.

Dilly

Banned
Yup, it's pretty crazy and the difference isn't exactly huge, but it's nice for those with beefy hardware.

cloooooudsnbj9g.jpg

As I mentioned before, clouds are coming back, but it'll crush your performance at first:

I'll be able give you guys some screens tomorrow when the next build is released.

Mind doing a quick vid about the transition?

Mascot

WTF? Clouds are volumetric or some other crazy-ass witchcraft batshit sorcery, and not just rendered with the sky box? My brain can't cope.

_machine

Mind doing a quick vid about the transition?
I'll try, but if the performance hit is huge it might end up rather choppy, I'll be happy to try though.

WTF? Clouds are volumetric or some other crazy-ass witchcraft batshit sorcery, and not just rendered with the sky box? My brain can't cope.
I've no idea how they're rendered, but they're completely dynamic with cloud shadows and transitions. I'm pretty convinced at this point that Kevin and Darren are some sort of wizards, that's the only possible answer. A meteorologist member's also giving them so crazy data so expect some more craziness from those two.

Mascot

I've no idea how they're rendered, but they're completely dynamic with cloud shadows and transitions. I'm pretty convinced at this point that Kevin and Darren are some sort of wizards, that's the only possible answer. A meteorologist member's also giving them so crazy data so expect some more craziness from those two.

Total insanity. Never mind actually playing the game - just hearing their plans for it is enthralling entertainment in itself.

Darkkn

Really nice looking car models.. looks to be on par with GT5 which is very impressive. Too bad the tracks still look a bit meh. Maybe someday we get a racing game with a trackside trees that don't look like they came from ps2(ok maybe not quite..).

Dilly

Banned
Really nice looking car models.. looks to be on par with GT5 which is very impressive. Too bad the tracks still look a bit meh. Maybe someday we get a racing game with a trackside trees that don't look like they came from ps2(ok maybe not quite..).

All tracks and especially trees are still WIP.

Darkdeus

The screenshots look better than the videos because I take them when the lighting and textures look particularly good. The tracks are only 20-30% done as well. I will have to try harder to take some good footage though.

I am running the game on a dual core e8400(the biggest bottleneck), a gtx 470, 4gb ram, and win 7.

I am running the game with ultra dx11 options, cloudy weather, and habic filmic hdr. There's 5 different options for hdr so of course your game is going to look different if it is not set up like mine.

TJP

I too can run with max settings locked at 60fps with 30 or more cars on many of the tracks which is not bad for a game in 'alpha' build and far from being optimised.

If I were you Mascot, I'd join pCARS as a junior member and enjoy reading the WMD forum for the next 12 months. Size up what MS and Sony offer with their new consoles by which time SMS will have finished development of CARS (Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2 and GTR 3 will most likely be available too) and Nvidia and ATI will have new videocards and decide what platform suits you most.

Top Bottom