• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension multiplayer confirmed [Update: Gameplay Video]

elcapitan

It seems like they still haven't figured out a lot of stuff for multi. They don't have a lot of specifics, and while that may be worrying, I think it just means that the single-player component is locked down. I'm actually looking forward to the SP. Since they have a grasp on their technology now, I expect the scenarios to be more spectacular, refined, and better paced. Any complaints about game length are premature. I'd rather have a tighter, more focused adventure over a longer one filled with filler anyways.

I'm looking forward to multi. It could be something special. There's not really much to do after beating the campaign, and rather than expanding with open-world elements (which kind of go against the GoW formula), they just took their strength (cinematic, epic, and brutal) and applied it to online. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have hope.

I'm fine even if falls somewhere between Ghost of Sparta and GoWIII in terms of length.

Is there any human out there who was like "man you know what GOD OF WAR was missing? MULTIPLAYER!". I kind of refuse to believe there was but I guess I really don't care about MP in general - or really even care about the God of War series that much. But still, what a terrible year for action games.

Is there any human out there who was like "man you know what GOD OF WAR was missing? MULTIPLAYER!". I kind of refuse to believe there was but I guess I really don't care about MP in general - or really even care about the God of War series that much. But still, what a terrible year for action games.

i didn't ask for multiplayer online in a lot of games but i'm willing to give it a shot. and you've played this game to call it terrible? sweet!

Snipes424

Here is the issues I see.

IF the game is single player only, you have a large number of people saying "Single player only? Rent and/or wait for price drop"

IF the game has mutliplayer, you have a large number of people saying "Tacked on MP, fuck that, it will take too many resources out of single player and ruin it!
even though games like Uncharted 2 & 3 and Mass Effect 3 have debunked this notion

So really you're fucked either way. There is just no pleasing anyone anymore.

firen

Here is the issues I see.

IF the game is single player only, you have a large number of people saying "Single player only? Rent and/or wait for price drop"

IF the game has mutliplayer, you have a large number of people saying "Tacked on MP, fuck that, it will take too many resources out of single player and ruin it!
even though games like Uncharted 2 & 3 and Mass Effect 3 have debunked this notion

So really you're fucked either way. There is just no pleasing anyone anymore.

Agreed. I feel the same way!

I-hate-u

I think if Gow:A was to be released without any multiplayer or replay-ability with a 6-8hr campaign like Gow3, it would be not highly received and be called the ultimate rental.

No but there were a lot of people saying it lacks value for money as a single player 8 - 10 hour game

This is their answer to increasing that value proposition

Excited about this, footage looked great.

It does sound like they don't really have a fleshed out plan for multiplayer, though...which is a bit worrying.

Hopefully between now and release they'll be able to put together something that doesn't feel tacked on.

El-Suave

Multiplayer won't make more people buy the game nor will it make buyers keep it much longer. The industry is dead wrong with these assumptions in my opinion.

I haven't followed much footage yet - I don't imagine they'd be so stupid and "All 4 One" this franchise and bury it like they did with Ratchet & Clank.

Drencrom

Me kinda actually, I wanted some kind of online co-op or horde mode in GoW 3.
I'm glad they are putting it in this time around, the idea of slaughtering grunts and monsters online with some buddies in GoW sounds great to me.

The depth of field in those shots are great for a console, although Kratos' ugly grumpy mug showing through that mask is fucking hilarious.

ReaperXL7

Todd said the length will be very close to Gow1.

http://twitter.com/#!/ToddPapy

I don't remember how long GOW took be to play, but I do remember it taking me alittle while to beat. I'm not really a speedrunner though, and I like to take in the sights. hell GOW3 took me about 12 hours I think, which was fine with me for an action game.

It's it's not an RPG I rarely expect massively long single player campaigns, And in some cases like Castlevania: Lords of Shadow I felt it dragged on far too long in many situations. If it's as long as God of war but does not feature those damn spinning blades, i'll be happy.

Who knows, I rarely care for multiplayer, but I'm interested in this one, so for now it has a chance to grab my interest. Assassin's Creed was a game that I did not think I would want multiplayer in, but I ended up really enjoying it for the most part.

Raonak

Banned
Multiplayer won't make more people buy the game nor will it make buyers keep it much longer. The industry is dead wrong with these assumptions in my opinion.

very, very odd sentence.

anyway,not saying it's a good idea, but im pretty sure multiplayer will make people hang on the game for longer.

I mean, think of it a lot of people will have this mentality;
GOW3 was like 8 hours long. doesn't have much replay value. if you have done everything in the game- why keep it? just sell it.
or since it doens't have much replay value, why buy it in the first place? just rent.

Thats the thing with multiplayer. It has near unlimited replay value. and because of that people would be more reluctant to sell it. especially if they enjoy the multiplayer.

thats why games want to do multiplayer modes. to get that unlimited replay value.

KingK

This is very true. Most multiplayer gamers only play 1, maybe 2 games regularly online. Simply shoving multiplayer onto every game isn't going to cause people who play COD every day to suddenly make room for the multiplayer modes of every other game they buy. They'll just beat the single player, then sell it and go back to playing COD or whatever.

That being said, I am interested in how this multiplayer turns out, because it looks like it could be a lot of fun, imo. If they could get some co-op modes in and split-screen support, I could see myself playing the shit out of it.

Sidzed2

This feels like the Ratchet & Clank All 4 One or Resident Evil 5 of the God of War series...

I couldn't be less excited about multiplayer. It doesn't seem to play to any strengths of the series.

My only hope is that the true God of War 4 will place the emphasis back on story, spectacle and single player value.

The Lamp

Ugh...who asked for this?

I did, bitchessssssssss

IT'S GONNA BE SO GOOOOD (hopefully). I knew this was gonna happen once the trailer came out and I got a huge whiff of "spartan army" on the preview.

but yeah, this thread is pretty embarrassing.

Remember when Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2 had MP and they both turned out bad?

It's best to wait until people actually get their hands on it before they start judging, but that never happens.

But this is Sony Santa Monica.

So, I never considered GOW to be on the same level as DMC3/NG1/Bayo in the first place, and something about the addition of multiplayer makes me think this is going whole hog over to the mindless arcadey beat em up category.

Now that's not bad in and of itself, since those games are frequently fun for at least one playthrough. But unless they're reinventing the wheel from a gameplay standpoint (and I doubt they are) I kind of get the feeling that series is getting even further away from skill based finesse and compelling narrative (granted the latter hasn't really been a thing since the first game) and deeper into mashy-ass Dynasty Warriors territory.

So, I never considered GOW to be on the same level as DMC3/NG1/Bayo in the first place, and something about the addition of multiplayer makes me think this is going whole hog over to the mindless arcadey beat em up category.

Now that's not bad in and of itself, since those games are frequently fun for at least one playthrough. But unless they're reinventing the wheel from a gameplay standpoint (and I doubt they are) I kind of get the feeling that series is getting even further away from skill based finesse and compelling narrative (granted the latter hasn't really been a thing since the first game) and deeper into mashy-ass Dynasty Warriors territory.

That's a pretty big assumption, considering the combat has gotten considerably better and deeper in each new game. You think they are going in the complete opposite direction?

If anything it should be less mindless and mashy, because the multiplayer characters don't use chains. They have also said they are reinventing the combat. Though to what degree, we will see.

The way they speak of the single player campaign length makes it seem like it's already basically done.

Perhaps this is a good thing. SSM finished Single Player and started playtesting multiplayer a bit, now they will probably have a full year more of development to iron out the multiplayer details.

At least, that's what I'm hoping. The scarcity of details makes it sound like it's tacked on, but I'm confident they'll figure it out.

The way they speak of the single player campaign length makes it seem like it's already basically done.

Perhaps this is a good thing. SSM finished Single Player and started playtesting multiplayer a bit, now they will probably have a full year more of development to iron out the multiplayer details.

At least, that's what I'm hoping. The scarcity of details makes it sound like it's tacked on, but I'm confident they'll figure it out.

I think it's more likely they have just got the structure nailed down early. With GOW3 it sounded really messy, like they designed all the different parts of the game separately and didn't really decide how they would fit together until late in development

Ricky_R

LOL what a stupid thing to add to GOW. I hope adding MP doesn't ruin the SP game like Uncharted.

tumblr_ljwy5gOnTM1qb8ydq.gif

GOW1 seemed like a long enough game.

I just hope we go to more places then we did in 3.

GOW 1 and 2 had so many different locations and being limited to Mount Olympus in 3 was a step down and made everything seem much more repetitive.

very, very odd sentence.

anyway,not saying it's a good idea, but im pretty sure multiplayer will make people hang on the game for longer.

I mean, think of it a lot of people will have this mentality;
GOW3 was like 8 hours long. doesn't have much replay value. if you have done everything in the game- why keep it? just sell it.
or since it doens't have much replay value, why buy it in the first place? just rent.

Thats the thing with multiplayer. It has near unlimited replay value. and because of that people would be more reluctant to sell it. especially if they enjoy the multiplayer.

thats why games want to do multiplayer modes. to get that unlimited replay value.

The dumb "multiplayer = UNLIMITED VALUE" (hint: no) mentality is pretty horrid. I played NGB for like 50+ hours, much more than I will get out of this games single player and multiplayer combined (probably like 3 times over). Why not take a note from like, good action games? Why not go back and thoroughly rehaul the layouts / AI of enemies on higher difficulties? Why not add real content like an extremely fleshed out challenge mode (although they would have to get their combat to a point where it is actually fun standalone). Score modes? Speed modifiers? Unlockable characters with different movesets? Bloody palace equivalent? Toggle to remove the boring ass puzzles on replays of the game? There are so many ways to get more mileage out of your game if it is a high skill game - but in all honestly God of War is not up to it. A multiplayer mode with some I.V drip skinner box rewards for replaying identical content over and over is not really going to cut it. But God of War sold really good so we get Ninja Dog Gaiden 3 and Ninja Theory DmC, thanks guys.

The dumb "multiplayer = UNLIMITED VALUE" (hint: no) mentality is pretty horrid. I played NGB for like 50+ hours, much more than I will get out of this games single player and multiplayer combined (probably like 3 times over). Why not take a note from like, good action games? Why not go back and thoroughly rehaul the layouts / AI of enemies on higher difficulties? Why not add real content like an extremely fleshed out challenge mode (although they would have to get their combat to a point where it is actually fun standalone). Score modes? Speed modifiers? Unlockable characters with different movesets? Bloody palace equivalent? Toggle to remove the boring ass puzzles on replays of the game? There are so many ways to get more mileage out of your game if it is a high skill game - but in all honestly God of War is not up to it. A multiplayer mode with some I.V drip skinner box rewards for replaying identical content over and over is not really going to cut it. But God of War sold really good so we get Ninja Dog Gaiden 3 and Ninja Theory DmC, thanks guys.

All of this, really. It's insanely simple. I put damn near 75 hours into Bayonetta, and everything that game did to give me my money's worth, God of War, and EVERY linear singleplayer game, can too. I HATE the trend this generation of just adding multiplayer and calling it "value" instead of giving me MORE of what everyone knows is the real meat of your game.

And hey, who knows, this may turn out to be a great, unique multiplayer experience. The only problem is I'd bet a majority of the people buying the game would've preferred those resources going towards making the singleplayer part of the game something that they'd want to spend 20+ more hours with.

NIN90

There really isn't any value in MP when one simply isn't interested in the MP side of a game. There are dozens of games where I ignored the MP (Binary Domain. Uncharted 3, etc.) yet I still had a lot of fun with the SP.

Top Bottom