• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Advice: My Samsung s7 is losing battery very quickly

Media

Hey, I use my phone a lot, do a lot of my browsing on it and the like, and I when I first got it lasted a good day before becoming low on battery. Today, I got up at 7 am and it's now 11 and I at 11%. Is there some ap that is likely draining the battery or is this just one of those things where the older a phone gets the more shit its battery gets? I don't have a ton of apps, but over the past week or so it's gotten really, really noticeable how fast it drains. \

It's also annoying because my husband is an iPhone lover while I like Android, and he says the next phone I get will be an iPhone because he doesn't want to deal with my phone issues :/

Any ideas gaf?

Back when I used to work in the mobile retail space I saw this issue constantly with galaxy devices. Guaranteed at least once a day someone would come in and complain their battery is shit. Open battery in settings and it should tell you what's eating battery by % Sometimes it is apps but sometimes it is just an issue with the phone/battery itself.

I don’t use Android but I’m sure if you go to settings - device - battery on your S7, it’ll tell you what exactly is draining your battery.

Jyrii

Banned
You should be able to see which apps have used the most battery at Settings -> Battery

Also Android now gives notifications when app is using a lot of battery.

Facebook app and Facebook messenger are pretty awful at this.

These always seem like the biggest offenders. I remember one time a guy came in and had like at least 5 or 6 dating apps running in the background and had notifications going off constantly (literally).

Sokka

You should be able to see which apps have used the most battery at Settings -> Battery

Also Android now gives notifications when app is using a lot of battery.

This is some good advice, OP if you are using Facebook messenger I recommend downloading an app called "Metal for Facebook & Twitter". Drains way less battery than the official Facebook app.

Media

I don't use Android but I'm sure if you go to settings - device - battery on your S7, it'll tell you what exactly is draining your battery.

Yep, did that and the highest was Facebook at 3%. I wouldn't think that would cause such a HUGE freaking drain though? Is 3% a lot in a phone? I am kinda phone dumb :/

This is some good advice, OP if you are using Facebook messenger I recommend downloading an app called "Metal for Facebook & Twitter". Drains way less battery than the official Facebook app.
Will def. look into that.

The worst of it is when I need to navigate to drive somewhere. Even plugged in my phone drains. It's fucking annoying.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Highest at 3% sounds low.

Do you have a lot of apps that run at once? The Facebook app could be part of the issue, but if your highest battery drain is only at 3%, then maybe you have a ton of apps that are doing background stuff on your phone and draining the battery that way.

Oh, and check what other services you have running on your phone too. Wifi, location, and so on all drain battery if you leave them on, so turn them off when you don't need to use them. Location services are an especially large battery drain.

WaterAstro

I made a thread about Kakao messenger draining my battery when I first installed it, after doing a reinstall, it seem to not do it anymore.

Also, might be a battery issue, but your phone isn't that old, so it's less of a chance. My phone battery was dying and needed replacement after four years.

Media

Highest at 3% sounds low.

Do you have a lot of apps that run at once? The Facebook app could be part of the issue, but if your highest battery drain is only at 3%, then maybe you have a ton of apps that are doing background stuff on your phone and draining the battery that way.

Oh, and check what other services you have running on your phone too. Wifi, location, and so on all drain battery if you leave them on, so turn them off when you don't need to use them. Location services are an especially large battery drain.

Oh good call, I forgot about location services since I was all into Pokemon for awhile. will fix that too.

And nope, not a ton of apps in the background, just like, gboard and facebook and the like.

jwk94

Could be an app or your battery is dying. My Moto X Pure Edition stopped holding a charge after about 1 year. I'd get up, then an hour later it'd be at 50% after some light usage. Now I'm using a Moto g5 plus and the battery life is stellar.

My S7 active was losing charge more quickly. The culprit ended up being the Match and OKCupid apps. They were constantly draining it.

harSon

Banned
I sympathize. All I know is I was shook by the difference in battery life between my Galaxy S7 to Galaxy S8+

Media

My S7 active was losing charge more quickly. The culprit ended up being the Match and OKCupid apps. They were constantly draining it.

Married, so I don't have those :p

THanks for all the advice everyone, deleted facebook and got Metal, and damn, it has a SHOW RECENT POST OPTION RIGHT THERE if it was a battery hog I would still love it

D

Deleted member 607798

Unconfirmed Member
This happened to me 3 days ago with my Samsung S7. I took out the cover and found out the battery was expanding and I no longer have it on in case it blows up or something. I called my carrier and said my only option was to replace it because I was out of warranty or get an upgrade, both of which are out of the question. So I'm probably gonna have no phone for a while.

Sometimes updates can cause this. The Samsung fitness app suddenly started draining it like crazy after an update for no reason. Check the battery usage and see what's used the most.

Another option is to run it in safe mode for a day and see if the battery is still dying super fast. But yeah like I said I've seen this issue all too often with galaxy phones.

Yeah my phone is losing battery really fast now. Galaxy S7 Edge. I have to lug around a portable battery but even that sometimes goes too slow.

my note 4's battery is fucked. dies at 64% and drains seemingly at random. I got a new battery, too. I started disabling stuff in dev mode and it kind of helped for a while.

How to access developer settings on the Galaxy S7
Launch the settings app from your Home screen or the app drawer.
Tap on About Device. It's all the way down at the bottom of the menu.
Tap on Software info.
Tap on Build number 7 times.

idk just start fucking around in there

Back when I used to work in the mobile retail space I saw this issue constantly with galaxy devices. Guaranteed at least once a day someone would come in and complain their battery is shit. Open battery in settings and it should tell you what's eating battery by % Sometimes it is apps but sometimes it is just an issue with the phone/battery itself.

Yes but going from full to 11% in 4 hours in not normal, i dont care which app is running. Unless you played a game for 4 hours, you should not be at 11% in 4 hours.

Yes but going from full to 11% in 4 hours in not normal, i dont care which app is running. Unless you played a game for 4 hours, you should not be at 11% in 4 hours.

You're absolutely right. A lot of times it is the device and nothing to do with apps at all. So many people would come in and say they had a fully charged device before they left for work and they came in on their lunch hour and it would be basically dead. These things aren't designed to last...gotta get that upgrade from ya :p

You could also run a application/battery tracking app like GSAM and see.
I had issues with my Note 5 a while back, because a rogue MediaServer process was running rampant. Turns out some corrupted images in my gallery were causing the system to constantly run full throttle scanning the images over and over.

madmook

Maybe get a free battery monitoring app and see how much capacity you're actually getting. See if it matches or is close to the official specs of your model. Maybe the battery itself has an issue.

Instro

I have a similar issue with my G5. On an off my phone will suddenly start draining battery like crazy. It also starts getting quite hot. Hard to pin point the issue because the battery usage only points me to something with Google Services and/or Phone Idle, rather than a specific app.

Yeah my battery is dying too. Screen goes black with 10% left on the clock and then I have to recharge. Probably get two-three hours at most at full charge. I have 7 apps on my phone and all of them are shut from doing anything in the background, including monitoring my location.

Do we just put in a claim with samsung?

with my note 4 it was almost certainly camera/gallery related. sometimes I would open the camera app with 85% battery and the phone would hard reboot after I took a picture. then when it got back to the home screen I was looking at 70% battery. super frustrating.

reKon

Banned
Hey, I use my phone a lot, do a lot of my browsing on it and the like, and I when I first got it lasted a good day before becoming low on battery. Today, I got up at 7 am and it's now 11 and I at 11%. Is there some ap that is likely draining the battery or is this just one of those things where the older a phone gets the more shit its battery gets? I don't have a ton of apps, but over the past week or so it's gotten really, really noticeable how fast it drains. \

It's also annoying because my husband is an iPhone lover while I like Android, and he says the next phone I get will be an iPhone because he doesn't want to deal with my phone issues :/

Any ideas gaf?

Is there any new app that you've installed? do you know if there's a heavy running app that you left running in to background that uses GPS? Has there been anything you've been doing differently than in the past? Based on your post, it would seem that your battery has went bad, but I just want to confirm that it's not something else. The best thing to do to really make sure is eventually factory reset the device.

also, for everyone in this thread, take care of your batteries. Even an iPhone can have it's battery deteriorate if proper care isn't taken.

DYSASTER

Banned
son had a similar issue with his S5 (ya i know it is a few years old)

it was the battery. 8 bucks on amazon & 2 days later, ran perfectly.

note: we got the s5 for the wife and kids new phones due to the S6's lack of expansion etc.

all my kids and wife are happy, though one kid might need a new phone due to him almost breaking the micro usb tab... (he broke the other tab for the normal charger..damn preteens...

Media

Yeah my phone is losing battery really fast now. Galaxy S7 Edge. I have to lug around a portable battery but even that sometimes goes too slow.

Yeah I have a portable charger that I would use sparingly at first but now I have to make sure it's constantly ready to recharge my phone ,:/ it sucks. And I don't have an upgrade for a long time I think, and soncey again, husband has stubbornly held on to his old iPhone he thinks that's the problem nd said if I have to upgrade again it will be to iPhone. All my shit is Android I ain't about to change damn it.

Media

Is there any new app that you've installed? do you know if there's a heavy running app that you left running in to background that uses GPS? Has there been anything you've been doing differently than in the past? Based on your post, it would seem that your battery has went bad, but I just want to confirm that it's not something else. The best thing to do to really make sure is eventually factory reset the device.

also, for everyone in this thread, take care of your batteries. Even an iPhone can have it's battery deteriorate if proper care isn't taken.

The last ap I installed was pokeman at launch and I basically have stopped using it. Is replacing the battery pricey or difficult or even possible on these new phones?

The last ap I installed was pokeman at launch and I basically have stopped using it. Is replacing the battery pricey or difficult or even possible on these new phones?

I say try a complete phone reset to see if its a software problem.

My iphone 6 had this issue. I went to apple and they kept telling that its fine even though i know it wasnt. id get to 30% and it would close. My battery, much like yours, would not even last my regular shift 9-5. I did a full reset and it was ok for 2 weeks and started again.

I sold it and upgraded to the 7+. That solved my issue. Now my battery lasts 2 days.

Rookhelm

uninstall the facebook app (and messenger, for that matter). it's a battery hog and RAM hog too.

Get Friendly, which is basically just a wrapper for the website, but it's mobile friendly. it's not quite as user friendly as the official app (no notifications as far as I can tell, unless I've turned them off on mine), and you don't see messages unless you open the app, but if you're in it all the time, you'll see it.

reKon

Banned

Factory reset your phone and then take the next steps. There are good apps you can use to back up your text messages. If you don't use Google Photos, you should because it's amazing and you can back up your apps and videos to there (unlimited if you choose high quality or 15 GB of free storage if you choose to upload at the original size).

Joe

My phone now powers off at 52% battery and continuously shuts off after until fully charged again. Only happened after I updated to Android 7.

I think there is a 50% chance this is some planned obsolescence bullshit.

clav

Is replacing the battery pricey or difficult or even possible on these new phones?

Yes.

You'll need a heatgun and some pry tools to loosen the adhesive.

I don't buy phones that require a lot of time + patience to replace batteries.

My phone now powers off at 52% battery and continuously shuts off after until fully charged again. Only happened after I updated to Android 7.

I think there is a 50% chance this is some planned obsolescence bullshit.

When a corporation spends a bunch of money on building repair centers around the world for jobs, you are partially right.

afroguy10

Married, so I don't have those :p

THanks for all the advice everyone, deleted facebook and got Metal, and damn, it has a SHOW RECENT POST OPTION RIGHT THERE if it was a battery hog I would still love it

Yeah, Metals great. I tend to use Lite as it combines Messenger and Facebook in one app and Messenger can be a big battery hog.

There's actually a built in power manager on the S7. Open settings and go to device maintenance. If there's a power hog it should show up in there. Typically if something is draining the battery a lot it's supposed to give you a notification though.

I got my iphone 4s battery replaced at a local cell surgeon for $30 but it still drained too easily. Not nearly as bad tho. Few hours vs 30 mins compared to a full day years ago.

I thought it was about dead because an app would crash constantly but it turns out the app at 2gb instead of 54mb if I were to delete and reinstall. So now that works and I don't have to get a new phone.

I love iphone but my credit is horrible. I would either need to buy an SE or save up an ungodly amount to buy a higher tier. I was considering going Android. I was even considering a $20 go phone.

Apple cheaps out on ram too much. I barely make it on 512mb in this thing. The one plus 5 has like 8gb for $500 while the new iphones will probably have 3gb/4gb. Shit is planned obsolescence. How do they get away with that?

Top Bottom