• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

WriterGK

Was I the only one with this picture flashing in my head when the nude scene hit?

Roman-Tej-Furious-7.png
No, course not. She has a divine body

Not sure why everyone is upset about Jon Snow going south the danny, all he needs are twenty good men.

Good episode overall, glad its slowed down a little compared to the season premiere.

They must have just found the Unreal Engine 4 fire-glitter setting on their post production computers, that shit was everywhere. D&D must have been like set that shit to 100%, I aint paying for the full version.

WriterGK

I just can't choose between her and Mel.

First world perv problems
I can understand. With Mel you mean Melisandre played by Carice van Houten? She is basically nude in every movie/tv show she plays in. So I think I prefer Nathalie Emmanuel :D

Gigglepoo

Isn't that the whole problem. Cause of GGRM his slow writing the tv show is already on its own with not much source material left? I already heard people saying that in season 4 or so they were using stuff from like book 6?

You're baming Martin for the show's writers not being able to tell a logical story with real consequences and believable motivations?

That's a slight exaggeration but D&D have known where this story was headed for a decade. If they can't fit the pieces together, that's on them.

Isn't that the whole problem. Cause of GGRM his slow writing the tv show is already on its own with not much source material left? I already heard people saying that in season 4 or so they were using stuff from like book 6?

Lol don't blame GRRM. The show writers have shown to be incompetent, despite some fantastic changes made to the source material in early seasons (Arya + Tywin, additional Robert scenes in season 1).

I'm playing a game with my younger brother to see how much I can predict week by week. I'm doing surprisingly well. Starting to feel I could write a better series with the source material, it's hard to drop the ball considering the early quality and depth of material.

Elandyll

Banned
Not sure why everyone is upset about Jon Snow going south the danny, all he needs are twenty good men.

Good episode overall, glad its slowed down a little compared to the season premiere.

They must have just found the Unreal Engine 4 fire-glitter setting on their post production computers, that shit was everywhere. D&D must have been like set that shit to 100%, I aint paying for the full version.
Specially when the show adressed that literally in the script.

Dany summons Jon specifically, and he also needs to negociate with her about both the Dragonglass mining And support with her dragons and troops.

An envoy would fit neither needs.

I just can't choose between her and Mel.

First world perv problems

Wouldn't stress over it too much. You've got zero chance at either of them.

;)

Isn't that the whole problem. Cause of GGRM his slow writing the tv show is already on its own with not much source material left?

I'm not sure why that would excuse poor characterization and bad storytelling. At some point, you either know what you're doing or you don't.

Specially when the show adressed that literally in the script.

Dany summons Jon specifically, and he also needs to negociate with her about both the Dragonglass mining And support with her dragons and troops.

An envoy would fit neither needs.
You need to have drama from idiots.

"all right I'm going to go meet a possible ally who can either give us troops or dragon glass"

Sansa: peas and carrots peas and carrots!

Everybody else: peas and carrots peas and carrots

Jon: fuck all yall.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm laughing every time I think of this entrance. Like something out of Heavy Metal, or a video game. It's too absurd to not love it.

Yeah, I'm ok with this. They've put a drop of Victarion into their Euron, and this is just about one drop's worth of Vic ridiculousness. The battle was a chaotic mess, but I won't begrudge them Euron practically dancing with his battle axe on a heavy-metal-inspired bridge thing.

Also, if Euron's magic is gone, they really need a hook for that character beyone just being a jerk, and it might as well be having him be a guy born 1000 years too early to pursue his true calling as an overly theatric rock star. I mean, Euron is the book's closest thing to a drug addict, so might as well have him act completely coked out all the time.

In fact, if they want the story to be that during his long exile, Euron discovered fantasy cocaine, I'm kinda down with that.

Beefy

Any one think Arya will kill Cersei? I think she will either kill Jaime or just take his face. Then pretend to be Jaime and kill Cersei.

Any one think Arya will kill Cersei? I think she will either kill Jaime or just take his face. Then pretend to be Jaime and kill Cersei.

I think many of us expected Jaime to kill Cersei coming into this season given how ruthless and vile she's become, but he seems to be 100% on board with her plans at the moment, so who knows? Arya's obviously an invincible, unstoppable force at this point. Maybe she'll put the Night King on her little list, too and save everyone the trouble.

Yes. It depends on a number of secondary factors like holidays and counter programming, but they do typically dip slightly in the middle of the season and then pick up again as we near the finale.

Awesome.
It's strange really. I was sure the show peaked, ratings-wise, at The Winds of Winter, but here we are.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Arya greeting Hot Pie was so weird. These two hadn't seen eachother in ages. He's all enthousiastic with 'Hey Arry!' and her reaction is like she was just there yesterday: 'oh hai Hot Pie'. What a weird reunion. I do love that they brought that kid back though. Give him an ep in s8 as well.

Mr Git

That'd be one way to get around necroMountain. Not many others can get close to her. Her assassin skills aren't going to be much use against the White Walkers and the only other person I can see her killing in Winterfell is Littlefinger so I assume she'll go south.

Arya greeting Hot Pie was so weird. These two hadn't seen eachother in ages. He's all enthousiastic with 'Hey Arry!' and her reaction is like she was just there yesterday: 'oh hai Hot Pie'. What a weird reunion. I do love that they brought that kid back though. Give him an ep in s8 as well.

yeah I agree. That scene was very unsatisfying and I guess they just did that to show how far gone Arya is.

The thing with that is, she didn't seem that far gone at the end of season 6. She ends the season by killing Frey, yeah, but she makes it clear to herself, the audience, and Jaqen that she is not no one, she is Arya Stark. Her demeanor there didn't seem like the disconnected psycho she came off as in her reunion scene with Hot Pie, it seemed much more firm like the Arya we've always seen.

Burt

I'm pretty sure Arya's just dead on the inside at this point.

Not because of any reasons or anything, but because she mass murdered a bunch of people and being dead on the inside is go-to tropey result of that so that's what we've got.

Mr Git

yeah I agree. That scene was very unsatisfying and I guess they just did that to show how far gone Arya is.

The thing with that is, she didn't seem that far gone at the end of season 6. She ends the season by killing Frey, yeah, but she makes it clear to herself, the audience, and Jaqen that she is not no one, she is Arya Stark. Her demeanor there didn't seem like the disconnected psycho she came off as in her reunion scene with Hot Pie, it seemed much more firm like the Arya we've always seen.

I took that scene as her feeling deflated - she's just killed a lot of Freys and doesn't feel better. Maybe it's some internal confusion after she met a load of Lannister soldiers who didn't seem like dicks - it could just be sadness because she regularly followed Ed Sheeran on Twitter.

jfkgoblue

The only thing in Season 4 that was from book 6 are the creation of white walkers and Jojen's death iirc.

Azzanadra

But see those hacks D&D have ruined the show with their lack of NUANCE and PLOT HOLES.

What? Just because something is popular doesn't mean its well written. If anything, GoT is appealing to the lowest common denominator post season 2.

Besides, just compare the ratings of this show with an actual well written one like Better Call Saul to see just how clearly even the masses don't gravitate towards well written shows as opposed to hollow spectacles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...ut-game-of-thrones-after-last-nights-episode/

This was posted in the show only thread, felt it would be better discussed here.

Thoughts?

Not the most well written piece, (ironically enough) but I agree with most of it. I made the same point about the ballista thing yesterday. The show runners are just writing to tentpoles exclusively now. We're getting some cool moments mixed in, but take even the most cursory look at the big picture at this point and the whole thing starts to fall apart. The "Great War" has barely begun and it's already a pile of nonsense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...ut-game-of-thrones-after-last-nights-episode/

This was posted in the show only thread, felt it would be better discussed here.

Thoughts?

I posted previously that the writing so far this season has been poor in large part due to plot contrivances and a lack of consequences. So much happens suddenly with little explanation solely for the sake of getting the plot where they want it or characters where they want them. The further D&D get from Martin's source material or guidance, the worse this gets, which has been a common trendline throughout the show.

One thing I'll bitch about from that article: Sunspear is not located on the Sea of Dorne. Sunspear is situated on the eastern coast of Dorne where the Summer Sea becomes the Narrow Sea. You would have to sail through the Stepstones to get from Dragonstone to Sunspear directly by ship, which obviously wouldn't be the case if Sunspear sat on Dorne's northern coast. This may actually have better illustrated the author's point because it makes Dany's backtrack to Sunspear all the more risky by involving threat of pirates.

I find it so funny that the "lack of nuance" complaint still rages this week despite the Nymeria scene, which has been interpreted 100 different ways.

Only by people looking for something that isn't there. It's a real simple (and sweet, I thought) scene to read:

- Wolves surround Arya
- Nymeria reveals herself to be the head of the pack
- Arya and Nymeria recognize each other. Nymeria and her pack stand down.
- Arya says, "Yo, Nymeria. I'm headin' to Winterfell. Wanna' come along?"
- Nymeria declines. Takes her pack and leaves.
- Arya realizes that it was dumb to even ask. Nymeria's a leader, not a follower. She's her own direwolf.

Honestly have no idea how or why people saw the scene any differently. Couldn't have possibly played out in a more straightforward manner. You want some difficult shit to try and interpret? Head over to the Twin Peaks S3 thread. There's plenty to chew on over there.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I find it so funny that the "lack of nuance" complaint still rages this week despite the Nymeria scene, which has been interpreted 100 different ways.

i don't think the show deserves any particular credit for making fans overanalyse blatant fanservice. that's what they do.

Moff

Thoughts?

I absolutely expected Dany to land in Dorne, but I don't think D&D let her land in Dragonstone so that Ellaria can be captured. Euron could have captured her on literally every mission Dany sent her to. I think they chose Dragonstone because that is her ancestral home and thought it would fit nicely. But it certainly made less sense than Sunspear, sure.

I am also not 100% on board about his theory that all bad things come from consequences in the books. The big ones sure, but I would not call Ellaria a big one. We have seen small deaths that were basically just bad luck or coincidence. Kahl Drogo for instance, and he was certainly more important than Ellaria.

Only by people looking for something that isn't there. It's a real simple (and sweet, I thought) scene to read:

- Wolves surround Arya
- Nymeria reveals herself to be the head of the pack
- Arya and Nymeria recognize each other. Nymeria and her pack stand down.
- Arya says, "Yo, Nymeria. I'm headin' to Winterfell. Wanna' come along?"
- Nymeria declines. Takes her pack and leaves.
- Arya realizes that it was dumb to even ask. Nymeria's a leader, not a follower. She's her own direwolf.

Honestly have no idea how or why people saw the scene any differently. Couldn't have possibly played out in a more straightforward manner. You want some difficult shit to try and interpret? Head over to the Twin Peaks S3 thread. There's plenty to chew on over there.

Oh, I don't disagree with you. Heck, it's nothing next to even HBO's other biggie, Westworld. I was just noting something I found ironic.
If I'm being honest, while I do think the show lacks the nuance it had in it's early years, I think with only 11 episodes left they're making the right call. There's a lot of ground to cover in that time.

Iksenpets

Banned
I absolutely expected Dany to land in Dorne, but I don't think D&D let her land in Dragonstone so that Ellaria can be captured. Euron could have captured her on literally every mission Dany sent her to. I think they chose Dragonstone because that is her ancestral home and thought it would fit nicely. But it certainly made less sense than Sunspear, sure.

I am also not 100% on board about his theory that all bad things come from consequences in the books. The big ones sure, but I would not call Ellaria a big one. We have seen small deaths that were basically just bad luck or coincidence. Kahl Drogo for instance, and he was certainly more important than Ellaria.

I think Dany insisting on landing on Dragonstone makes sense emotionally for the character, but the Dornish and Tyrell portions of the fleet should have broken off to go land at Sunspear and Oldtown and prepare their forces, rather than accompany her to Dragonstone. They could have moved the strategy session scene to have happened on a boat prior to the split up and landing. Then you probably could have arranged things to get to the same time lace by having Euron raid Dorne directly, and then have Yara try to intercept him as he's on his way back to KL to try and rescue the Dornish captives. It probably wouldn't have been paced as well, but it would have been a much more plausible path to getting where they're going.

Gigglepoo

The only thing in Season 4 that was from book 6 are the creation of white walkers and Jojen's death iirc.

Jojen's (apparent) book death is very different than what the show depicted.

If I'm being honest, while I do think the show lacks the nuance it had in it's early years, I think with only 11 episodes left they're making the right call. There's a lot of ground to cover in that time.

Stopping the show after 11 episodes was D&D's choice. HBO would have gladly payed for more episodes. They chose to forgo nuance.

Top Bottom