• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS4 died and I can't believe I'm already telling this story

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Yup I'm a member of the club. No signal at all. I've started the return process with Amazon. UPS will pick it up in a couple business days and then I guess I wait and hopefully get a refund. I seriously at this point don't even know if I'm going to replace it. I went through multiple 360's last gen and replaced my ps3 once due to disc drive breakdown. I'm just so sick and tired of companies turning out products that don't work.

Did you try a different cable (use the Sony provided one) and a different port?

inner-G

Banned
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't know if the 0.4% number is accurate, I am just saying they would not calculate failure numbers based on monitoring customers online.
Ah, I really just meant that there's no way Sony could ever 100% know the number, either.

Better question.. Where is everyone getting the .04% from! what a baseless statistic.

Yoshida publicly said that based on their current estimates, it's about 0.4%, which is within their expected failure rate for launching a new product, and is consistent with other products as well.

Minions

I think at this point its much closer to 10-15% tha 0.4% I havent polled the launch thread but i think 1 in 10 pS4s is a good estimate.

The question is, this is only launch day. Who to say this figure wont increase?

15%.... so you are saying 1 out of 7 people has a dead console. I think we would see a heck of a lot more posts.... even from the Taco bell batch by now.

I really don't think that piece of metal should be there. None of the HDMI cables I own have a dent to allocate that piece. My PS3 doesn't have that piece of metal either, same with the two BD players I have access to, and my receiver, and laptops.

That's a faulty HDMI port.

That was my thinking as well, unless Sony are being complete asshats and have created their own proprietary hdmi port just for the PS4, effectively rendering all other cables useless. I don't think this was intentional.

Foxix Von

I thought I might have a had a defective unit last night. Im still a little leary tbh. I was in the middle of playing Shadowfall when all audio just cut out completely. Backing out of the game didn't fix it either, the entire system just went mute. I had to do a hard reboot and after that audio seems to be working now but I'm still paranoid.

I figure it could have been some dust on the toslink cable or something.... I hope :(

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ah, I really just meant that there's no way Sony could ever 100% know the number, either.

They will get close. You think if people do an exchange to a retailer, that retailer is just going to toss it in the trash? Fuck that, they will send it back to Sony as well.

Metalmarc

Oh were only on week one, not to be pessemistic but im interested how many more fail within the next two weeks

Until the eu launchand then how many breakdown here too

I thought I might have a had a defective unit last night. Im still a little leary tbh. I was in the middle of playing Shadowfall when all audio just cut out completely. Backing out of the game didn't fix it either, the entire system just went mute. I had to do a hard reboot and after that audio seems to be working now but I'm still paranoid.

I figure it could have been some dust on the toslink cable or something.... I hope :(

That seems to be a problem with some people using optical audio. Bring up your system settings and switch between dolby/dts to linear pcm and then switch back. Solves the problem for me after I do it once or twice.

bummer to hear about OP and others that have posted in this thread, thats one of my fears for day 1 systems, having it go dead since there is such limited supply

hope you get a replacement soon

inner-G

Banned
They will get close. You think if people do an exchange to a retailer, that retailer is just going to toss it in the trash? Fuck that, they will send it back to Sony as well.
True, but I bet a lot of systems are sitting dormant as Xmas presents too.

We're not going to know for awhile how bad the problem really is.

All I can say is, if you buy a first shipment product, its such a massive risk... I just took this risk with the Nexus 5 and it went well but I was prepared I'd have dead pixels, light leaks, and all the other shit that goes with a product that hasn't had IRS manufacturing processes perfected yet.

Just hope that these are first shipment issues, not inherent design problems that Sony will keep pumping out so there is no dead spot in 2014 shipments.

It's not that much more risky than buying it later in the cycle. The difference is that when 3,000,000 people buy something on the same day, the absolute quanitty of complaints you hear at one time is going to be higher than if the same 3,000,000 people buy something spread out over an entire year, so it gives the false illusion of a problem when there really isn't one.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yoshida twitted that.

It was 0.04% according to Yoshida's twitter.

And that was a mistake.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/14/broken-playstation-4-systems

True, but I bet a lot of systems are sitting dormant as Xmas presents too.

Then I have no clue what number you are looking for then. I was talking general failure rates in the first year. You seem to only be concerned about Day One numbers. Sony will know about the borked Christmas systems soon after.

rSpooky

Still working for now, and about to play a game but there is a slight rattle coming form it which i suspect is the fan as it is doing it while idling and not executing any programs.
and it feels like it is running warmer then described in some of the articles. But I could be just off on how warm/cold it should be normally speaking as I have no real reference right now.
I hope it holds up , but even if it does I will call it in at a later date when it is not so busy. Makes me a bit nervous but what can you do.
So here goes....

anyone here a rattle from their ps4?

Is this sarcasm? I remember Wii U having a lot of hw issues at launch.

Sorry I edited that we had freezes and slowness but I don't remember Wii Us getting hot or having issues with the HW.

No intention to shit the thread just sharing my experience, I hope this is not widespread. I may plan to get a PS4 later still undecided between PC and PS4.

My 2007 Wii is still kicking and it still gets used a lot.

It sucks that it broke but man the PS4 really does look nice in a TV stand/Home theatre setup

PR shots almost don't do it justice.

flippedb

Banned
Is this sarcasm? I remember Wii U having a lot of hw issues at launch.

Nintendo's hardware is extremely reliable. Both my N64 and GC are still going strong, after a couple falls even. I have a PS2 Slim that's on its 3rd lens and has presented other issues, I have no clue why, since it was never dropped and it's, by at least 7 years, the newest of the three.

djshauny

Banned
I can only understand PS4 news in Banderas gif form.

t3MHnEY.gif

Hows that?

Four Wude

Unconfirmed Member
This is a long shot, but for those with HDMI issues, have you tried using a good quality splitter between the PS4 and the TV? My Xbox 360 would have weird HDMI handshake issues with one of my older monitors, and the only way to fix it was to pass the signal through a splitter. Might be worth a shot for some people.

You could take every single internet report of a problem, combine them and I doubt that would be even .04% of the amount of consoles sold last night.

If it was 1,000,000 then the electronic average of 5% failures means 50,000 consoles can be expected to be faulty in some way.

I really don't think that piece of metal should be there. None of the HDMI cables I own have a dent to allocate that piece. My PS3 doesn't have that piece of metal either, same with the two BD players I have access to, and my receiver, and laptops.

That was my thinking as well, unless Sony are being complete asshats and have created their own proprietary hdmi port just for the PS4, effectively rendering all other cables useless. I don't think this was intentional.

The HDMI doesn't touch it. It's all the way in the back. If you have a PS4, look at yours. It's there.

We really need these condensed into one thread, with the issues in the OP and ongoing updates if there any from those experiencing issues.

Rhindle

From what I understand...

Don't use the included HDMI cable if you don't have to.
Install OS upgrade first via USB. (Don't have games trying to install when you install the upgrade online)

Those are the only things that seem to be a potential pattern. :-/

/hugs to all

(I'll be playing mine tonight, wish me luck)
Do we think its a good idea to install the update at the first boot up? i.e. do the first boot right into recovery mode and install from USB?

Has anyone done that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom