• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Cheerilee

So am I the only one that likes Stallone's Judge Dredd?

I enjoyed it. People's various complaints seemed to be minor nitpicking, IMO. My biggest complaint would be Rob Schneider being edited into the ending as being alive (if you look at the ending in hindsight, you can tell he's not supposed to be there). I think that was a key tipping point which pushed him from acceptable to unacceptable levels of annoying.

I also enjoyed Karl Urban's Judge Dredd.

Stallone's Judge Dredd is almost a pitch perfect parody of what a big Hollywood Judge Dredd movie would look like. It's entertaining on that level.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I love Judge Dredd for what it is. A sci-fi futuristic buddy comedy. I don't compare it to Dredd because they're completely different. Just as I wouldn't compare Batman 1989 to Batman Begins, or hell, Batman Forever. I consider Forever a new franchise really.

Judge Dredd is fun. I love me some futuristic comedy.

I sort of feel like Rich didn't entirely "get it" with the Taco Bell thing. The product placement is blatant intentionally.

I've never been convinced they were hanging a lantern on it.
I don't think they were planning to make it so over the top it was it's own joke. It's just what they wanted to do and it's taken as an intentional meta.

Cheerilee

Here's a Demolition Man story which has always stuck with me.

Nigel Hawthorne, a very accomplished British actor, really wanted to play the lead role in an upcoming Hollywood adaptation of the Madness of King George, but at the time Hollywood didn't cast British people in American movies. So Nigel got on a plane, flew to Hollywood, rented a room, and landed the role of Dr Cocteau in Demolition Man, a movie starring Sylvester Stallone, the man who had just founded "Planet Hollywood" and practically defined Hollywood.

And Nigel's plan worked. After Demolition Man, Nigel easily landed the Shakespearean part he wanted. He even got nominated for a "Best Actor" Academy Award (the highest award for a male actor in show biz) for his performance in that role. But he felt lonely living in America.

And then he attended the Academy Awards show for which he was nominated, and he bumped into Sylvester Stallone again. Finally! Someone he knows. "Hey Sylvester! Over here, it's me, Nigel!" Stallone: "Nigel who?" Sylvester Stallone didn't recognize Nigel Hawthorne. That's when Nigel said "You know what? Fuck Hollywood."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Nigel Hawthorne, a very accomplished British actor, really wanted to play the lead role in an upcoming Hollywood adaptation of the Madness of King George, but at the time Hollywood didn't cast British people in American movies. So Nigel got on a plane, flew to Hollywood, rented a room, and landed the role of Dr Cocteau in Demolition Man, a movie starring Sylvester Stallone, the man who had just founded "Planet Hollywood" and practically defined Hollywood.

And Nigel's plan worked. After Demolition Man, Nigel easily landed the Shakespearean part he wanted. He even got nominated for a "Best Actor" Academy Award (the highest award for a male actor in show biz) for his performance in that role. But he felt lonely living in America.

And then he attended the Academy Awards show for which he was nominated, and he bumped into Sylvester Stallone again. Finally! Someone he knows. "Hey Sylvester! Over here, it's me, Nigel!" Stallone: "Nigel who?" Sylvester Stallone didn't recognize Nigel Hawthorne. That's when Nigel said "You know what? Fuck Hollywood."

In some fairness to Stallone, they had a grand total of 3(?) scenes together in the entire film.

Fat4all

Banned
Rich Evans is Meryl.

ldfeZc6.gif

So a guy comes to Hollywood, lands two jobs and an Oscar nom and says "Fuck this place." because a guy he interacted with for maybe a month didn't remember him?

Sanjuro

Nigel's next role was in the Jeep for the Rambo reboot.

RIP

Aw, man. I actually forgot who that guy was. Once he popped up in Google instantly recognized him.

Cheerilee

So a guy comes to Hollywood, lands two jobs and an Oscar nom and says "Fuck this place." because a guy he interacted with for maybe a month didn't remember him?

Technically yes, but my takeaway was that Hollywood is/was/could be (whatever) a very cold and impersonal place. And how sometimes "success" is not as important as "happiness".

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The RLM crew are cursed.

I remember Jack and Rich having to look up if Chuck Berry was alive a month on a Pre-Rec stream a month ago.

Well guess what happened shortly after that....

It's like they are stuck in a quantum world and if the RLM crew interacts with them their fate is resumed.

Sephzilla

I've never been convinced they were hanging a lantern on it.
I don't think they were planning to make it so over the top it was it's own joke. It's just what they wanted to do and it's taken as an intentional meta.

When you factor in that another part of the world building in that movie is that old commercial jingles are considered classic music, and that's played purely for gag factor, it makes me think all of the product placement in Demolition Man is pretty intentionally over the top.

Top Bottom