• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I know why Disney's greatest hand drawn film will never be released on Bluray/HD

My absolute favorite Disney movie. It saddens me every day that there is no Bluray of this movie... I was happy that Hercules got one and was expecting this next, but that doesn't seem like its happening.

Hey that's a whole lotta wrong in one post! Where to start.

So let's begin with the "It wasn't done by the Walt Disney Animation studio". When actually it was! The Burbank main branch of the WDAS feature studios no less! All pre production (boards, visdev, etc) were composed and put together on the Buena Vista lot where many other classics were created. Shock!

After this process, the film went on the be animated in the Paris, France Walt Disney Animation feature branch, where classics like Tarzan and Hunchback were animated as well, by those same animators. It's true!

Did I mention it was directed by the feature Studio's very own Kevin Lima, who was also the director of Tarzan?

And really? Made for TV? In the theatrical 16:9 format? In 1995? That had a full theatrical run? Doesn't sound like a 4:3, made-for-TV production.

In addition, don't answer this post and immediately see an eye doctor. If the animation in this film qualifies as "cheap" to you, you have some dire optical concerns that are far, far more pressing than rewatching this film and realizing how wrong you are.

The cheapness you guys!

J02vZkz.gif

wKiuE2J.gif
By god he's already dead man!

I loooooove the animation in this movie. The scene where Goofy opens the glove compartment and the map unfolds is my all time favorite animated scene ever. Its crystal clear in my mind.

Hey that's a whole lotta wrong in one post! Where to start.

So let's begin with the "It wasn't done by the Walt Disney Animation studio". When actually it was! The Burbank main branch of the WDAS feature studios no less! All pre production (boards, visdev, etc) were composed and put together on the Buena Vista lot where many other classics were created. Shock!

After this process, the film went on the be animated in the Paris, France Walt Disney Animation feature branch, where classics like Tarzan and Hunchback were animated as well, by those same animators. It's true!

Did I mention it was directed by the feature Studio's very own Kevin Lima, who was also the director of Tarzan?

And really? Made for TV? In the theatrical 16:9 format? In 1995? That had a full theatrical run? Doesn't sound like a 4:3, made-for-TV production.

In addition, don't answer this post and immediately see an eye doctor. If the animation in this film qualifies as "cheap" to you, you have some dire optical concerns that are far, far more pressing than rewatching this film and realizing how wrong you are.

The cheapness you guys!
I mean, it is true though that a good chunk of the work came from the TV department.

From what I recall this movie was an experiment to see if the TV animators were good enough to assist on the feature animation projects.

It’s not in the Disney canon technically but for all intents and purposes it’s a WDAS film.

Snaku

Banned
Been waiting forever to buy this digitally, I refuse to settle for SD. Such a great movie. Though I gotta admit Max and I had one thing in common: our first crush.

img_6805d3uog.gif

There's way worse shit in other Disney movies that still get regular releases. Peter Pan has some really questionable shit in regards to Native Americans, and they rerelease it all the time. So I don't buy this.

Song of the South is in a league of its own, so I understand why they refuse to release it. This doesn't qualify.

Yeah, going on Amazon, this thread is definitely tales from OP's ass. You can rent or buy it digitally and the DVD is available directly from Amazon without limited quantities, which leads me to believe it's not out of print. Maybe they just don't think anyone gives a fuck about this movie on Blu-Ray/in HD. If they didn't want this movie to be seen, they wouldn't have it so readily available.

You're like the 96th person to bring this up, yet no one has an answer for this argument:

If they didn't care, why release the less profitable, lesser known, lesser quality sequel?

Disney just theatrically rereleased Goofy Movie at their own El Capitan theater like a month ago, made a big deal about it, even had a special stage performance of I2I by the Max mascot before the showing with confetti canons and everything. I really doubt they give a shit about this kind of thing in a way that would prevent them from releasing it again. If they did the movie would have been edited when they screened it.

Snaku

Banned
Disney just theatrically rereleased Goofy Movie at their own El Capitan theater like a month ago, made a big deal about it, even had a special stage performance of I2I by the Max mascot before the showing with confetti canons and everything. I really doubt they give a shit about this kind of thing in a way that would prevent them from releasing it again. If they did the movie would have been edited when they screened it.

And they just released a bunch of Goofy Movie themed apparel. I just bought a Powerline shirt at Target the other day.

And they just released a bunch of Goofy Movie themed apparel. I just bought a Powerline shirt at Target the other day.

IIRC Box Lunch has a bunch too.

We're two years away from the 25th anniversary. If they were waiting for some reason to release it I'd imagine it'd be then.

Kallor

That entire scene you linked is still as atmospheric and beautiful as it was when I was a kid.

We need that shit on bluray.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
so stand out, above the crowd, even if we gotta shout out loud.

Yeah i agree OP, best disney movie period for me, and its a tough market with the likes of tarzan around

BasilZero

I think Disney forgot they made this movie. I mean, they went out of their way to re-release Oliver & Company on Bluray. Either that or they don't have the song rights to Eye to Eye.

I keep forgetting they made Oliver & Company , man that movie brings me great nostalgia of my childhood ;)

I really, really doubt it's the hand gesture.

I think Disney internal marketing things it wouldn't sell. Outside of GAF, I've never known anyone to like this movie. I hated it when I saw it as a kid. Not to say nobody should like it, to each their own and all. I just think that there's probably a lack of demand for an HD release. Although if they really did the sequel then maybe it's something else. I really don't think that scene is the problem. If it was why not just cut or re-do it E.T walkie-talkie style for an HD release?

I keep forgetting they made Oliver & Company , man that movie brings me great nostalgia of my childhood ;)

"Why Should I Worry" is a jam.

Futureman

You're like the 96th person to bring this up, yet no one has an answer for this argument:

If they didn't care, why release the less profitable, lesser known, lesser quality film?

maybe someone spilled their coffee all over the original print and fucked it up.

Who knows... it seems like there must be some weird answer like that if the sequel is in HD. Contact Disney. Get to the bottom of it and let us know. Start at Disney.com but don't stop there. Get the facts. Let us know. Thanks.

Killua

I watched this movie with my Dad in the theaters when I was a teen. My Dad loved the movie. I guess he felt he related to Goofy. Awkward father trying to relate to his son and believing he embarrassed me at times. I really liked the movie a lot too. I guess we both connected to it in some way. I haven't seen it in years. I wonder if watching it now would hit me too hard since my father died a couple years ago. I have fond memories of this movie and bonding my father and I shared with it.

A Goofy Movie is mediocre, boosted by people who saw it when they were children and not since, or by furries, and it is a Disney Afternoon film which I’m sure they are more than ready to bury than others. Next people will ask why Bonkers isn’t on Blu-ray as well.

People who like A Goofy Movie probably think Hook is a good movie.

Again, Disney hasn't friggin' forgotten about it or think people don't care. In Hollywood Disney has their own theater called the El Capitan Theater where they host all the premiers of all of their movies and they constantly do special events there and they literally just ran Goofy Movie there. Before the movie you could get your picture taken with Max, and when the movie started they had him come out and dance to I2I and then the movie played in its entirety. I think the first night of the even they even held a costume contest.

They wouldn't have done that for a movie they don't think people give a shit about. They not only had to pay a person to wear the costume but they also had to choreograph a dance routine to the song. Who knows why they haven't put it out in HD yet but it's not because they forgot it existed or some ridiculous thing like ruining the original print, it's not like they were playing the movie there off an SD source. This happened not even two months ago hahahaha

Violet_0

Banned
Been waiting forever to buy this digitally, I refuse to settle for SD. Such a great movie. Though I gotta admit Max and I had one thing in common: our first crush.

my last gf dumped me on the spot and called me a "fucking weirdo" when I asked her if she could paint the tip of her nose black for me

Snaku

Banned
my last gf dumped me on the spot and called me a "fucking weirdo" when I asked her if she could paint the tip of her nose black for me

You did it wrong, should have suggested you go to a Halloween party dressed as Max and Roxanne. Halloween makes everything legit.

barit

Does that really mean you can't use the "Gotcha" gesture in schools? Oh my god. But I guess using Hitler salute falls under free speech uh?

Just wanted to drop in to say I fucking love this movie and whole theme of accepting the differences between a father and son while still having a relationship brought me close to tears.

Cheerilee

This movie is not and never been considered a Disney animated classic really. It's a super cheap made and poorly animated barly above made for tv movie.

It wasn't done by the Walt Disney Animation studio. It was done on the cheap by the tv division.

It is essentially a made for tv movie that got a run in theaters.

It is not deemed by Disney as one of the Walt Disney Animated films.

Finger gun doesn't change the fact Disney never treats the DisneyToon made films as part of their animated film catalog.
Really it's not complicated. It's a DisneyToon movie not done by the Walt Disney Animation studios. That's it. That answers the question. It's not worth the effort for Disney to put the work into any rights or the other issues. DisneyToon movies were cheap assembly line movies tossed out and forgotten quickly after.

They were all done quick on the cheap and Disney doesn't really care to keep them around because they aren't seen by Disney as "real" Disney Animated movies. There area number of these not on BluRay.
PeakPointMatrix put up a strong defense of the quality of A Goofy Movie, but I thought I should address another point, that of Disney abandoning the Disney Sequels and/or the work of DisneyToon Studios, by pointing out which DisneyToon movies have seen Blu ray releases (by cross referencing the wikipedia list of DisneyToon movies, and Neogaf's Disney Blu ray thread, plus a bit of extra legwork).

Blu ray YES - DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp
Blu ray YES - The Return of Jafar (Aladdin 2)
Blu ray NO - A Goofy Movie
Blu ray YES - Aladdin and the King of Thieves (Aladdin 3)
Blu ray NO - Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin
Blu ray YES - Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas
Blu ray NO - Belle's Magical World
Blu ray YES - Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
Blu ray YES - The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
Blu ray YES - Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas
Blu ray NO - Seasons of Giving (Winnie the Pooh)
Blu ray YES - The Tigger Movie
Blu ray YES - An Extremely Goofy Movie
Blu ray YES - The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea
Blu ray YES - Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
Blu ray YES - Return to Never Land (Peter Pan 2)
Blu ray YES - Cinderella II: Dreams Come True
Blu ray YES - The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
Blu ray YES - A Very Merry Pooh Year
Blu ray YES - 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure
Blu ray YES - The Jungle Book 2
Blu ray NO - Piglet's Big Movie (Winnie the Pooh)
Blu ray YES - Atlantis: Milo's Return (Atlantis 2)
Blu ray YES - The Lion King 1½
Blu ray YES - Springtime with Roo (Winnie the Pooh)
Blu ray YES - Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers
Blu ray YES - Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas
Blu ray YES - Mulan II
Blu ray NO - Pooh's Heffalump Movie
Blu ray NO - Tarzan II
Blu ray YES - Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch
Blu ray NO - Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie
Blu ray YES - Kronk's New Groove (The Emperor's New Groove 2)
Blu ray YES - Bambi II
Blu ray YES - Brother Bear 2
Blu ray YES - The Fox and the Hound 2
Blu ray YES - Cinderella III: A Twist in Time
Blu ray NO - Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams
Blu ray YES - The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning (The Little Mermaid 3)

Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell
Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (Tinker Bell 2)
Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue (Tinker Bell 3)
Blu ray YES - Secret of the Wings (Tinker Bell 4)
Blu ray YES - Planes (Cars spinoff)
Blu ray YES - The Pirate Fairy (Tinker Bell 5)
Blu ray YES - Planes: Fire & Rescue
Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (Tinker Bell 6)

Basically, Disney seems to have a giant blind spot where Winnie the Pooh is concerned, and then all that's missing is A Goofy Movie, Tarzan 2, Belle's Magical World, and Disney Princess Enchanted Tales (with that last one being rumored to have ran over John Lasseter's dog).

I have abandoned my BD collection awaiting UHD BDs to be released.
I hope Disney follows through and does not hold them hostage via their new streaming service.

Again, Disney hasn't friggin' forgotten about it or think people don't care. In Hollywood Disney has their own theater called the El Capitan Theater where they host all the premiers of all of their movies and they constantly do special events there and they literally just ran Goofy Movie there. Before the movie you could get your picture taken with Max, and when the movie started they had him come out and dance to I2I and then the movie played in its entirety. I think the first night of the even they even held a costume contest.

They wouldn't have done that for a movie they don't think people give a shit about. They not only had to pay a person to wear the costume but they also had to choreograph a dance routine to the song. Who knows why they haven't put it out in HD yet but it's not because they forgot it existed or some ridiculous thing like ruining the original print, it's not like they were playing the movie there off an SD source. This happened not even two months ago hahahaha
I went to this.

It was awful.

Okay I mean the dance in the Max suit routine was pretty cool. But I fought Hollywood traffic and got my ticket as soon as it was available to see this thinking “finally, I get to see an original print of A Goofy Movie in it’s intended format!”

Dude, they fucking played some home media cropped widescreen version of this fucking film. You could see the blurred staircase lines on the 100-foot screen, as well as edges and animation that were cut off on the borders. I couldn’t believe my fucking eyes. Not even the el cap could land an original reel for this film. I was dumbstruck.

Nothing says we care like dumping a home media version of the film on theater screen and calling it an “event”. I appreciated the effort, but come on.

scamander

Banned
Basically, Disney seems to have a giant blind spot where Winnie the Pooh is concerned, and then all that's missing is A Goofy Movie, Tarzan 2, Belle's Magical World, and Disney Princess Enchanted Tales (with that last one being rumored to have ran over John Lasseter's dog).

You are right with the Pooh thing. They didn't even bother to release the animated classic Pooh films in most European countries. Yes, that's right. A 2011 film that didn't receive a Blu-ray release in all of Europe except Scandinavia. And it's not like Disney treats us worse in general. There are many films that didn't receive a 3D Blu-ray release in NA, but in Europe for example and some films have been released in Europe first.
But I think Disney is pretty much done with releasing their back catalogue on Blu-ray. It's been years since their last releases and even then they didn't put any effort into it anymore. Where is the Black Cauldron? Where are the remaining package films? When will they finally release European Blu-ray pressings of The Great Mouse Detective? They released the US version in the UK and France and called it a day. It's ridiculous.

Megatron

That is an extremely silly assumption to make. Aladdin is out on Blu-ray and the Genie makes a finger gun in that one. I think multiple times. And there are Disney animated movies released on Blu-ray with actual guns.

Yeah, but Aladdin is legitimately good though. Not 'I saw this when I was five, so I still like it' good like the goofy movie.

A Goofy Movie is mediocre, boosted by people who saw it when they were children and not since, or by furries, and it is a Disney Afternoon film which I’m sure they are more than ready to bury than others. Next people will ask why Bonkers isn’t on Blu-ray as well.

People who like A Goofy Movie probably think Hook is a good movie.
Was this really necessary? Furries, really? If anything, it seems like you’re the only one who hasn’t actually seen the film since you were a child, if ever.

Yeah, but Aladdin is legitimately good though. Not 'I saw this when I was five, so I still like it' good like the goofy movie.

It came out when I was 17 and I thought it was pretty great.

I actually prefer it to the other 2D animated movie that Disney released that year.

MUnited83

For you.
PeakPointMatrix put up a strong defense of the quality of A Goofy Movie, but I thought I should address another point, that of Disney abandoning the Disney Sequels and/or the work of DisneyToon Studios, by pointing out which DisneyToon movies have seen Blu ray releases (by cross referencing the wikipedia list of DisneyToon movies, and Neogaf's Disney Blu ray thread, plus a bit of extra legwork).

Blu ray YES - DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp
Blu ray YES - The Return of Jafar (Aladdin 2)
Blu ray NO - A Goofy Movie
Blu ray YES - Aladdin and the King of Thieves (Aladdin 3)
Blu ray NO - Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin
Blu ray YES - Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas
Blu ray NO - Belle's Magical World
Blu ray YES - Pocahontas II: Journey to a New World
Blu ray YES - The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
Blu ray YES - Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas
Blu ray NO - Seasons of Giving (Winnie the Pooh)
Blu ray YES - The Tigger Movie
Blu ray YES - An Extremely Goofy Movie
Blu ray YES - The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea
Blu ray YES - Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
Blu ray YES - Return to Never Land (Peter Pan 2)
Blu ray YES - Cinderella II: Dreams Come True
Blu ray YES - The Hunchback of Notre Dame II
Blu ray YES - A Very Merry Pooh Year
Blu ray YES - 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure
Blu ray YES - The Jungle Book 2
Blu ray NO - Piglet's Big Movie (Winnie the Pooh)
Blu ray YES - Atlantis: Milo's Return (Atlantis 2)
Blu ray YES - The Lion King 1½
Blu ray YES - Springtime with Roo (Winnie the Pooh)
Blu ray YES - Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers
Blu ray YES - Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas
Blu ray YES - Mulan II
Blu ray NO - Pooh's Heffalump Movie
Blu ray NO - Tarzan II
Blu ray YES - Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch
Blu ray NO - Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie
Blu ray YES - Kronk's New Groove (The Emperor's New Groove 2)
Blu ray YES - Bambi II
Blu ray YES - Brother Bear 2
Blu ray YES - The Fox and the Hound 2
Blu ray YES - Cinderella III: A Twist in Time
Blu ray NO - Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: Follow Your Dreams
Blu ray YES - The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning (The Little Mermaid 3)

Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell
Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (Tinker Bell 2)
Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue (Tinker Bell 3)
Blu ray YES - Secret of the Wings (Tinker Bell 4)
Blu ray YES - Planes (Cars spinoff)
Blu ray YES - The Pirate Fairy (Tinker Bell 5)
Blu ray YES - Planes: Fire & Rescue
Blu ray YES - Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (Tinker Bell 6)

I'd like to take this moment to FUCK YOU DISNEY for Aladdin and the King of Thieves being a cropped out mess. What a goddamn waste.

bosseye

I don't especially care for Goofy or his blu ray release woes; no, the real eye opener in this thread is learning that America has banned the finger gun gesture from schools. I mean that's another level of astonishing/pathetic/sad/stupid.

Tizoc

Somebody explain about this edit that was made to rescuers
Were there other instances of wuch editting in other movies?

Top Bottom