• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

DieH@rd

Banned
FINAL EDIT - All discussion is moved to the awesome Official Thread!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485628

EDIT 5 - Crucible [wave based arena] has finally announced by our resident Vigil members.
Take a peek at The Crucible; fighting arena for Darksiders 2, or don't spoil it and ignore this link.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/06/darksiders-ii-crucible-mode-reveal
H
Crucible Info

• Fight increasingly harder waves.
  • Every 5 waves cleared you are given a choice: Continue | Loot (Once selected, this resets your progress)
  • Every 25 waves cleared (in a row) you unlock a "Checkpoint" of sorts.
  • When you return, you can start from the beginning or start from an unlocked checkpoint.
  • Loot from the "Loot" option is generated based on total waves completed - the more waves completed, the more loot you get!
  • Dying in combat results in NO loot. You could clear 48 waves, die on wave 49, and you will get NOTHING.
  • There are unique Crucible-only rewards.
  • Loot from The Crucible is completely usable in the story/campaign and vice versa.
  • Once unlocked, you can access The Crucible while in Story mode (very easily!).
  • There are leaderboard stats for The Crucible.
  • Dying in The Crucible in Nightmare Mode = Combat Death (the worst kind).

As a side note, something I mentioned before, this mode was made as a direct response to fans. We wanted to make sure players had an area to practice combat, test out builds, and also have even more challenges once they've beaten the game once, twice, 10 times!

EDIT 4 - The most comprehensive preview of the Darksiders II game so far. Read it.
http://www.maroonersrock.com/2012/07/darksiders-ii-preview-part-1-a-new-form-of-open-world/
http://www.maroonersrock.com/2012/08/darksiders-ii-preview-part-2-the-best-rpg-since-wow/
http://www.maroonersrock.com/2012/08/darksiders-ii-preview-part-3-death-vs-everyone/

EDIT 3 - Lead combad designer talked a lot about combat:
Go and look it up, post #703 and beyond in this thread [page 15 for 50post per page people]

EDIT 2 - Giant bomb quicklook [pc version, awesome combat]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9K_aSV8UpI

EDIT 1 - gameplay trailer & PC specs:

GLORIOUS GAMEPLAY TRAILER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xetMI-J_9Q

PC system req is out.
Min Specs:
• OS – Windows XP, Windows Vista SP1 or Windows 7
• Processor – 2.0Ghz Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor or AMD equivalent
• RAM –2GB
• Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
• Video Card – NVIDIA 9800 GT 512 MB Video Card or AMD equivalent
• Online Steam account

Recommended Specs:
• OS – Windows 7
• Processor – Any Quad-core AMD or Intel Processor
• RAM –2GB
• Hard Drive – 20 GB space free (10 GB free after install)
• Video Card – NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 512MB Video Card or AMD equivalent
• Online Steam account

deathds2gijca.jpg

During the last two days, Horseman-GAF members managed to extract tons of new information from the lead developer of Darksiders 2 Haydn Dalton [GAF username hdn] in the SDCC DS2 thread. Because of great amount of new and awesome news, I have created this thread to promote the awesome features of this long awaited sequel of best Zelda game ever made. ;)

Darksiders II main features:

- It is still great mashup of DMC and Zelda, set in fantastic fantasy universe created by legendary comic book artist Joe Madueira.
- Everything in Darksiders 2 is bigger and more refined than in DS1.
- It has upgraded engine that has more user-configurable options and can show much more on the screen.
- Great mix of agile combat [no block, only dodging], agile traversal [much faster than in DS1] and puzzles.
- Storyline that will greatly expand upon the lore of DS1, new & old chars. Story is running in parallel with DS1 during majority of the game, far away from Earth and War. We dont known if there will be reunion of horsemen.
- Four big playing areas. Each in new environment, each large as entire DS1.
- 25+ hours for main storyline, with crapton of sidequests and sidejobs.
- Expanded character building options - fully featured skill trees, and fully customizable gear.
- Loot, loot, loot.
- Because of all that loot, all animations are this time rendered in-game. No more crappy compressed FMV's.
- NO MULTIPLAYER.
- NO COOP.
- You get badass looking horse from very beginning of the game.
- Voiceactor for Death is Michael Wincott, and you main couselor is James Cosmo. :)

Fresh GAF-exclusive info from the mouth of Vigil developer:
- Confirmed no tearing in PS3/X360 version of the game [Gamespot's SDCC video has tearing because of their video recording setup].
- X360 users will get the game on one disc.
- Diablo 3 Hardcore mode is in [under the name of Nightmare Mode]. One death in combat = permanent death and total loss of campaign progress.
- MAGs are in. Possessed Weapons [rare&unique weapon lootz] must be fed with other random items to enable them to level up and gain more abilities and damage.
- Trading of items between players is in.
- Fast Travel. You can go into your map and instantly teleport to any location that you previously visited.
- New Game+ is in. You keep all your loot, enemies gets tougher and you gain % to find new tier of weapons which can have exclusive NG+ attributes.
- In addition to traditional weapon combos, your secondary weapons can be chained-in for their "signature attack", Scythe has its own rhythm-based/delayed-button press combos, and legendary weapons have their own special attacks.
- Re-spec of tech trees is possible!

Darksiders 2 lore in few sentences:
Long ago... a crapton dimensions were made by the unknown "Creator". Heaven and Hell fought their eternal battle for supremacy, and countless other worlds slowly died off and went to Abyss [one bigass dimensions where all those worlds and its inhabitants slowly decayed].

In such environment a brand new world was made - ours. This changed the balance of forces (traditionaly, we humans have trademarked trope of "capacity to become awesome™"), and the race of uber powerful Nephilim openly challenged the Charred Council and demanded Earths destruction. In the following battle entire race of Nephilim was destroyed with four members surviving, only to be bound by oath to serve Charred Council as the keepers of balance. They received badass godlike powers and were named Horsemen of Apocalypse (War, Death, Strife & big boobed Fury). Darksiders video games follow the sudden and unexpected arrival of Apocalypse, and the quest of two Nephilim to find and punish those who were responsible for the utter destruction of the Earth.

In Darksiders 1 main protagonist was War, who traveled all across the utterly destroyed Earth in search for answers and someone to impale on his sword.

In Darksiders 2 will will see "intergalactic" version of the events in the same time-frame, with Death traveling across 4 dimensions in search of answers and someone to impale on his Schyte.

Fun times.

Official Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsE5pddiWD8

Very nice overview of the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_t7uV92HdY

Enviroment showcase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex-ozqzWj48

Story showcase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs928gCtcpM

E3 2012 demo, shows OPENING OF THE GAME [spoilers]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMCL1uo0XSU

The newest and last video from the "Behind the Mask" series. It showcases loot, weapons, armors, possessed weapons, tech trees, and more]. Also, it has insane visuals of the polished game. Sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyHDJURbVM4
Gamersyde version for those who want best quality - http://gamersyde.com/stream_darksiders_ii_bts_4_your_death-27717_en.html

image_darksiders_ii-18706-2301_0002.jpg

image_darksiders_ii-18706-2301_0005.jpg

image_darksiders_ii-18706-2301_0006.jpg

image_darksiders_ii-18706-2301_0007.jpg

^ untouched screens from PC version [confirmed by hdn].

DARKSIDERS 2 will be released on PC, PS3 and XBOX 360 on
August 14, 2012 in North America
August 21, 2012 in Europe
[Wii U version in Fall]

Everyone who preorders the game will get additional side-quest DLC "Argul's Toomb" when it becomes available. BTW, game supports steamworks. :)

CANT FUCKING WAIT! This has potential to be the best game of the year. So much improvement, so much kickass features. Guaranteed winner for THQ [god knows they need one].

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Loving the new thread. Hopefully hdn will be available to answer more questions.

BY2K

Membero Americo
- Four big playing areas. Each in new environment, each large as entire DS1.
- 25+ hours for main storyline, with crapton of sidequests and sidejobs.
- Expanded character building options - fully featured skill trees, and fully customizable gear.
- Diablo 3 Hardcore mode is in [under the name of Nightmare Mode]. One death in combat = permanent death and total loss of campaign progress.
- MAGs are in. Possessed Weapons [rare&unique weapon lootz] must be fed with other random items to enable them to level up and gain more abilities and damage.
- Trading of items between players is in.
- Fast Travel. You can go into your map and instantly teleport to any location that you previously visited.
- New Game+ is in. You keep all your loot, enemies gets tougher and you gain % to find new tier of weapons which can have exclusive NG+ attributes.
- In addition to traditional weapon combos, your secondary weapons can be chained-in for their "signature attack", Scythe has its own rhythm-based/delayed-button press combos, and legendary weapons have their own special attacks.
- Re-spec of tech trees is possible!

65227387-omg-reaction-.gif

So many improvements, so many new features. This is incredible.

CANT FUCKING WAIT! This has potential to be the best game of the year. So much improvement, so much kickass features. Guaranteed winner for THQ [god knows they need one].

I truly believe this could snatch Action/Adventure GOTY award AT LEAST from the likes of Assassin's Creed III.

Let it be known. This game is going to be amazing.

I know I'm getting the PS3 version day 1 and double dipping for the Wii U version once it comes out. Platinum'd the first Darksiders. I have all 3 versions available.

BEST NEW IP SINCE 2010!

Daante

HYPE!

- NO MULTIPLAYER
- NO COOP
- NEW GAME+
- PC VERSION HAS MORE GRAPHICAL OPTIONS THAT NUMBER 1
- 360 GAMEPAD SUPPORT (PC)
- 25+ HOURS FOR MAIN STORYLINE

Day 1 on steam for me.

Fuck yes, can't wait for this. My most anticipated game of the year. Everything about it sounds awesome. Darksiders was one of the few games I gladly finished every single achievement for, am really looking forward to seeing how awesome this is.

jmoe316

I wish the Wii U seal would be broken on these known games so that people would talk about them or at least mention them.

For example, those who pre-order this game get DLC thrown in. All they mention are X360, PS3, and PC. I would hope that my Wii U pre-order would also get these perks, but who knows.

forrest

formerly nacire
FUCKING HYPE!!!! Thanks to Hdn for the additional info! Mad props from this gaffer!
3AQmK.gif

New game + with it's own tier weapons and loot? Fuck yes! I can't count how many times I've played through DS1 and DS2 looks to surpass it in every way. I really want this game to dethrone Journey as my GotY. Bring it!

DieH@rd

Banned
I've added preorder bonus info into OP, and mentioned that game is STEAMWORKS compliant! Buy it people!

I'm trying, but I lack the graphical skills to make the thread it deserves. :(
What help do you need? General banner creating stuff? Send me a PM if you want, maybe we can forge some good template for it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Here's something I hope H can answer: how are the in game economy and health handled now? I remember being annoyed at grinding for lengthy intervals in DS1 because there were no ways to regain health other than potions and one-time chests.

This game looks so dope. I need to play and beat the first game before this drops. How long does it take to beat the first game?

The first game was pretty good, great artstyle and unique environments. This game however, looks ten times better, day 1 for me.

DieH@rd

Banned
Here's something I hope H can answer: how are the in game economy and health handled now? I remember being annoyed at grinding for lengthy intervals in DS1 because there were no ways to regain health other than potions and one-time chests.

I really hope that some game will finally implement the genius health system of Batman Akrham series: get experience = get some health. So far, no luck.

[Darksiders 2 would be perfect for this health system]

BY2K

Membero Americo
This game looks so dope. I need to play and beat the first game before this drops. How long does it take to beat the first game?

Loot includes potions. In the E3 2012 demo, you couldn't even regain health just by killing enemies, you HAD to use potions dropped by enemies.

Hindle

Banned
Going to be awesome is this, no one makes these kind of games no more so hopefully if its a success other devs will be encouraged.

It can be played by newcomers, but old players will be awarded for their playtrough with few nods, old chars, etc.

Will the awards be only for the people who bought it for their original console, or will the newcomers also experience the perks?

the reason I'm asking is because I completed the game on the 360 but I'd like to get the game for PC/PS3 if possible.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will the awards be only for the people who bought it for their original console, or will the newcomers also experience the perks?

the reason I'm asking is because I completed the game on the 360 but I'd like to get the game for PC/PS3 if possible.

No, old players will RECOGNIZE some old chars and story nods, but newcomers will understand story of DS2 just fine. Everyone will get the same game [except that preoder will bring one new sidequest].

Hixx

Game looks and sounds like it will be fucking fantastic. That second screen is beautiful.

But it's coming out so close to GW2 and probably MoP :(

Top Bottom