• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolishQ

21689291_1240768366034978_7320699536156917760_n.jpg

Yesterday Rochester, NY had its first ever drag queen storytime (for kids!) with Mrs. Kasha Davis. My wife was one of the organizers and the local news did a segment on the program. The kids had a ton of fun and I absolutely recommend contacting your local library and letting them know you'd support this type of event.

Seems that the Nancy Drews over at the subreddit have correctly figured out who the queens are in season 10.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rupaulsdragrace/comments/70yxmi/postdisappearance_s10_nancy_drew_thread_20/

Aquaria, Asia T. O'Hara, Blair St. Clair, Dusty Ray Bottoms, Eureka O'Hara, Kalorie Karbdashian Williams, Kameron Michaels, Mayhem Miller, Miz Cracker, Monét X Change, The Vixen, Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, Yuhua Hamasaki

Confirmed by someone who gave correct info for season 8/9 and seems to be related to production somehow.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Whats the crack about willam?

mantidor

Whats the crack about willam?

I'm also trying to understand it, from what I'm getting it was an insesitive joke about trans men? I honestly feel the reaction is overblown. I will never be able to wrap my head around this "something is offensive regardless of intent" mentality. She said some stuff she was not aware was offensive because she didn't know, she apologized, that should be the end of it. I'm actually bothered about drag queens apologizing, it's such a paradox, we live in strange times.

amaretto

I'm also trying to understand it, from what I'm getting it was an insesitive joke about trans men? I honestly feel the reaction is overblown. I will never be able to wrap my head around this "something is offensive regardless of intent" mentality. She said some stuff she was not aware was offensive because she didn't know, she apologized, that should be the end of it. I'm actually bothered about drag queens apologizing, it's such a paradox, we live in strange times.
Based on Courtney immediately warning that Willam would say something transphobic and him making a joke of Brandon Teena I don’t think the reaction was overblown at all.

There’s more to it that I can’t get into right now cause phone but what Willam said was quite surprising and gross based on how prevalent he is as a person and how smart he is.

mantidor

Based on Courtney immediately warning that Willam would say something transphobic and him making a joke of Brandon Teena I don’t think the reaction was overblown at all.

There’s more to it that I can’t get into right now cause phone but what Willam said was quite surprising and gross based on how prevalent he is as a person and how smart he is.

Oh ok I admit I haven't seen the actual video, only William's follow ups that are just confusing, and show small parts of the original that I thought were the offending issue.

mantidor

See this is what I saw and I'm still confused, I have two questions, is the transphobic part calling a trans man a "Butch lesbian"? And second, who said this? was it Willam or was it from the email asking the question? I don't know if it's my English skills failing on me right now or just that this conversation went really fast.

Edit: oooh now I got it, the video wasn't loading correctly, it's the "he's not a boy" part, and yeah that is bad, and surprising from Willam.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I find it hard to believe that Willam hasn't encountered trans people before this and wouldn't know this is offensive
I understand hes a comedian but they weren't jokes, just shitty transphobic remarks.
I appreciate he loaded that 20 minute video of him trying to understand this situation and make good but really bitch? if a well known figure in the lgbt community of over ten years, including playing a trans character on tv, doesn't understand this situation it is just willful ignorance

Gradon

Willam misgendered someone several times at a show I went to but I'm not sure if she just didn't realise or if she was just ignorant. I haven't looked at this latest controversy yet but it'll be disappointing if she is transphobic

goonie

Miley is using a bunch of lines from Drag Race on The Voice this season. "Herstory," "Okrrrt," and most recently, "I'm Dorothy, you're Toto, get in the basket." 🤔

Shizuka

Miley is using a bunch of lines from Drag Race on The Voice this season. "Herstory," "Okrrrt," and most recently, "I'm Dorothy, you're Toto, get in the basket." 🤔

Lots of people copy drag queens, we’ve seen people copy Alaska a lot, but that last line she copied was so blatant, it’s awful.

goonie

Yeah, I'm not sure how to even feel about it. Just the way it seems she's "claiming" these terms and phrases rubs me the wrong way. Maybe she's giving credit where it's due, but they edit it out. Who knows!

Edit: I'm mainly taking issue with Alaska's line from Read U Wrote U, but the others just build on it.

Culture's meant to be shared, and she's a fan of Drag Race so you can't really fault her for quoting it. Fans quote it all the time...

Any news on AS3 tho? I assume a trailer is right around the corner :/

Razmos

Saw Jinkx Monsoon in Hocum Pokum tonight, met her at the meet and greet and was really close to her at the afterparty, I really love her and even more so now that I've actually met her.

Highly recommend seeing the show if you can. She mentioned at the afterparty that her and Peaches Christ are thinking of doing a Death Becomes Her drag parody next and then maybe a Matilda drag parody.

Never heard of Peaches Christ before this so I'll have to look up her stuff, she was brilliant

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
She mentioned at the afterparty that her and Peaches Christ are thinking of doing a Death Becomes Her drag parody next and then maybe a Matilda drag parody.

Never heard of Peaches Christ before this so I'll have to look up her stuff, she was brilliant

Peaches is great, and the girl works her damn ass off. She's constantly touring the west coast doing parodies of Legally Blonde (with Bob), Sister Act (with Latrice), 9 to 5 (with Pandora Box), and has upcoming shows for Beetlejuice (with Bianca) and Romy & Michelle (Trixie and Katya).

These aren't fancy productions - usually high school quality, hah - and most of the time it's local queens playing all but the starring roles, but they're so ridiculous and fun. Go if you can!

Who wants to take on the responsibility of making the AC3 thread? We have casting news tomorrow!
It can't be posted until a week before the air date so it's nothing to worry about yet.
If Garrett wants to do it I'd love that because this OT is amahzing but Shizuka and I collaborated on the AS2 OT and I'd be willing to step up again if needed.

kirblar

EW: Aja announced as first castmember prior to the special.

She looks like Linda Evangelista. She’s a model. Everything about her is perfect. And now, RuPaul’s Drag Race season 9 contender Aja is the first queen to join All Stars 3.

VH1 revealed Friday the Brooklyn, New York native as one of nine contenders who will vie for a spot in the Drag Race Hall of Fame when the third edition of the spin-off competition series debuts at the top of 2018.
Oh, so that's how they're playing this. :) I like it.

Wilsongt

That line up thankfully doesn't reveal a "this season was made so x queen can win it" vibe.

There are three queens that are top choices to win, though.

Atlantis

I'm following the reveals on Twitter so I don't want to spoil myself, but I'm so excited for more
Dela
!

Edit: Yas gawd,
Trixie

Shizuka

I don’t see this as a cast for All-Stars, but okay. I’d use more runner-ups instead of casting
Milk, Aja, Thorgy, Morgan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom