• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

L.O.R.D

so , this is the moderator on the steam forum for that game ?

0iN11ja.jpg

If I cared about Symphonia I'd look at this.

Actually, that statement doesn't make much sense. 99% of all games games ported to PC are better than the console versions.

Yeah, for most PC ports the worst thing you can say about them is that they don't do enough to take advantage of what the PC platform can do, capping framerate/resolution/AA/etc. at whatever the console version used. It's relatively rare that a PC ports is flat-out worse than a console version.

Of course, even if that was Symphonia's only problem it would still be bad because unlike most other recent Japanese PC ports the original's platform has been emulated by now, so we know exactly how good it can look when ported competently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I hope Kaldaien and DrDaxxy take a look at this mess, if Namco doesn't give a shit (which they clearly don't, releasing this in the state they did), that's probably the only way we'll get this running properly.

But if this uses a DRM that makes it impossible to do any hooks, then I dunno. Fuck.

Durante

I'm writing an article right now.

I don't know if it will actually be published. It's unlike any other article I wrote so far.

I bet they knew the port was shit and the only reason they released it later was to not lose any pre-order $$$s

If you have a decent enough computer you could emulate it in Dolphin too for HD graphics and 60 FPS. The original game was 4:3 but you can input cheats/hacks to get proper 16:9 support, think someone mentioned there was a HD HUD re-texture going on as well earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the info, I will consider it that way, finding the HD HUD shouldn't be hard to find too. I'm fine with 4:3 I always play the games like they were intended, but thanks :)

Interesting, first time I see a developer being VAC banned. I know, it doesn't really mean anything as it's been a long time, but if the developer has any decency, could make the profile private. I do agree it doesn't leave a good first impression when Symphonia's PC port is in such a bad state.

I really hope Bandai Namco comes through and fixes all of the issues, as that would be the best for everyone.

VAC bans are visible even for private profiles, but if they wanted to hide it, then they could just make a new profile for their community interactions. On the other hand, I'm not sure why people care about a 10 year old infraction, except perhaps as a point of amusement, nor why hiding it would be the "decent" thing to do.

Arthea

I don't know if it will actually be published. It's unlike any other article I wrote so far.

Thanks for doing this, kindly don't lose your temper, even if it's hard to do.
We want them to fix it.

Senhua

I kinda figured this would be a mess due to the lack of any media coverage before launch but i didn't think it would be this big of a mess

oh boy

Before and after I think.
How many gaming media reporting a bad PC port? none afaik
Even a PC centric one like PC Gamers or RPS.

Before and after I think.
How many gaming media reporting a bad PC port? none afaik
Even a PC centric one like PC Gamers or RPS.

The problems is Tales of Symphonia isn't an AAA game or even that popular.
So most game reporting sites or magazines do not report about the abysmal port or anything.
Not relevant enough and that is sad.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
RIP

Oh man Durante is about to snap, I want to see this.

Lmao. Yeah, it's probably better that they do stay out of it :lol.ToS is always readily available for me in Dolphin should I for some reason want to replay it.

Dr Dogg

Well PC Gamer said they're always happy to have more articles by you right?

Hope you're not going to pointlessly burn bridges to rage over a shitty ToS port!

Why do I sense you're rubbing your hands together mischievously over this situation :p

Tizoc

Burn bridges with whom? (As in, what bridges?)

Yes.

ezpIVIn.jpg

I look forward to reading your article.

If I had any video editting or writing talent to speak of, I'd do a video about disappointing PC ports and simply title it 'A good PC port goes a long way'

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If they for some reason decide to not publish the article, will you make it available for us to read elsewhere?

Burn bridges with whom? (As in, what bridges?)

Yes.

Just an example. Not sure how much you know, but the Pirate Warriors 3 port uses a mix between Vita and PS3 settings and till now if you change the settings besides the resolution, there is no difference at all.

To unlock the render distance, you have to use a mod. Otherwise you can only see bigger objects and models for like 10-15m.

I am actually quite sad to see that some publishers act like that. I mean I am okay when they release the games like that, but fix it down the line. But K-T added Trading cards to One Piece, but havent issued any patch since release.

This will probably come back to bite them in the ass once Berseria releases.

Symphonia was a preorder bonus for Zestiria. Which means most of those who now have the game, are your most dedicated fanbase.

It's NOT a good business strategy to piss off your most dedicated fanbase, I believe.

This. Most people have only purchased Zestiria just for Symphonia (which is a better Tales game than Zestiria to begin with).

This port comes as a huge slap in the face to all of their fans, in which they have hoped that they would finally have the definitive version of the game with all of the extra content from the PS2 version included.

Tachidito

Neo Member
Well this sucks. Why developers can't put the same effort in making this game take advantage of computer hardware like they do on consoles. If they want easy money they are just hurting themselves with all these types of posts on different social media.

Durante

This. Most people have only purchased Zestiria just for Symphonia, which is better than Zestiria to begin with.
I couldn't disagree more with that. I can't even think of a single aspect of the game (story, graphics, characters, battle system, stats, even dungeons) which Symphonia does better than Zestiria. And I played both of them quite close to one another.

But really, that's for another thread. This one is for righteous fury.

Culex

Banned
This is a shame because the GameCube version was such a great game and not because the system had no RPG's, but because it really was a great game in its own right.

I was going to get this on steam since I haven't played the game in over a decade.

Paltheos

I couldn't disagree more with that. I can't even think of a single aspect of the game (story, graphics, characters, battle system, stats, even dungeons) which Symphonia does better than Zestiria. And I played both of them quite close to one another.

But really, that's for another thread. This one is for righteous fury.

I don't know if I'd go that far - If just because I played Symphonia 10 years ago - But I believe Zestiria's allot better than many GAFers are giving it credit for. It's got several, very frustrating design decisions to be sure, but it also has many, very good ones, and the overall product is allot of fun.

Looking forward to your review by the way. I've enjoyed your others.

Top Bottom