• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Police Captian Suspended after "White Male Privilege" remark

Damerman

It's interesting that you don't want to answer that question. You brought it up in the first place so I would think you wouldn't mind telling us your thoughts about it. Me personally, I think race and gender insults should always be met with resistance or things will only get worse.

Do you think that these insults are merely words and people should get over it? Do you think these insults should be met with resistance every time they occur?

It's not a hard question and you are the one who brought it up so...
U ever heard of the word nuance? Stop trying to “corner” people with absolutes. The world doesn’t work that way.

Damerman

I don't know how many times I have to explain it. I think you already thought that straight white males deserved 'pushback' and used that post to justify it. I also wonder why pushback is only ok for straight white males and no other group (since you won't answer that question).
Bully: *bullies person*

Victim: *bullies the bully*

Bully: hey you can’t do that! Thats reverse bullying!

Plainfield police officer reinstated

38 seconds in shows he got 2 days unpaid and she was put on paid leave. video is about her being reinstated.

So basically the person made the shitty comment gets 2 weeks off and a mention on her record but the guy who was the receiver of it got punished with 2 days without pay? Why wasn't she docked pay at all?

I mean, I don't agree with the first guy they interviewed saying she should be removed because that's kind of extreme, but of course the follow-up guy is literally the other extreme saying she shouldn't have been punished, no matter how lightly, for making sexist and racist remark?

So, what this says to me is that people don't want a middle ground, which means we'll never have it. This thread even says as much with a lot of these posts.

Dude Abides

Banned
So basically the person made the shitty comment gets 2 weeks off and a mention on her record but the guy who was the receiver of it got punished with 2 days without pay? Why wasn't she docked pay at all?

I mean, I don't agree with the first guy they interviewed saying she should be removed because that's kind of extreme, but of course the follow-up guy is literally the other extreme saying she shouldn't have been punished, no matter how lightly, for making sexist and racist remark?

So, what this says to me is that people don't want a middle ground, which means we'll never have it. This thread even says as much with a lot of these posts.

She made one dumb comment. He threw a tantrum and caused a ridiculous scene like a little toddler. His behavior was more disruptive so his discipline was more severe. Simple as.

She made one dumb comment. He threw a tantrum and caused a ridiculous scene like a little toddler. His behavior was more disruptive so his discipline was more severe. Simple as.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have gotten any punishment, I'm saying it seems silly to me that she committed an outright sexist and racist comment for no reason other than to shut him down with a meme, yet gets 2 weeks paid leave? At the best these are at least equivalent offenses (his tirade was seriously childish and needless) and at worst she made, objectively, a worse comment during this.

Dude needs to chill anyway and just make a complaint to HR and not a scene right then and there. A reasonable person would do that if they're truly offended. Neither of them seem like truly reasonable people.

Dunki

White privilege is not racist.
Male privilege is not sexist.

The core of it all is to recognize and raise everyone up.

But not to shut other peoples opinions down. That is the whole difference.

Note it seems she was also fired because she was drinking and driving during patrols. This was not the whole reason. It was the last straw.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
"White privilege" is one of my most hated phrases, not because of the phrase itself, because of how it's typically used. Are white people generally more privileged than minorities? Sure. Can you just assume someone is privileged because they are white? No. That's where racial insensitivity comes in. If you know someone who is white, know their background and they were privileged, then ok. But to just sling that phrase around to people that you have no knowledge of their background, upbringing, etc is just rude, obnoxious and flat out nasty.

I think it's just generally used as a term to throw at people to belittle them for not agreeing with your political and social views. "Well, you're white and male, so you can't really comment on the matter" essentially. It's just a cheap and lazy way of avoiding debate and propping one's self on a pedestal and trying to make someone feel guilty for the way they were born. I guess responding in a manner like "I'm sorry, respect your opinion and all, but I don't think you understand the plight of trans people and how they feel they are unfairly targeted by cops" is too civil these days.

In this instance, I think it was poorly used. Not sure I'd call that woman a racist or a sexist, but it at the very least was insensitive and rude of her to say that to this guy for merely asking a question. Not sure it was suspension worthy on either side. A handshake and a couple I'm sorry's probably would have sufficed.

PtM

Banned
Plainfield police officer reinstated

38 seconds in shows he got 2 days unpaid and she was put on paid leave. video is about her being reinstated.
Thanks.
"White privilege" is one of my most hated phrases, not because of the phrase itself, because of how it's typically used. Are white people generally more privileged than minorities? Sure. Can you just assume someone is privileged because they are white? No. That's where racial insensitivity comes in. If you know someone who is white, know their background and they were privileged, then ok. But to just sling that phrase around to people that you have no knowledge of their background, upbringing, etc is just rude, obnoxious and flat out nasty.

I think it's just generally used as a term to throw
at people to belittle them for not agreeing with your political and social views. "Well, you're white and male, so you can't really comment on the matter" essentially.
For what it's worth, she said "you wouldn't know".

And she did know about him that the people around him had never encountered police violence.

Bacon

Lmfao so this forum is just people hurling insults at eachother nonstop nowadays huh? Seems more civil indeed!

Again this is NOT the issue here.

It was a presentation to make aware of a problem. It was not some internet talk. But I would love you trying this in a real life presentation when someone does not agree or does not understand your point.

How hard is it to understand that you CAN NOT do it in a profesional field

PS: It is always eaier to blame others for the problems in life. Victimhood is a reall problem these days.

The Culture of Victimhood

I'm sorry, is NeoGAF a professional field now? I missed the memo. I guess I should stop reading these forums while not wearing pants; that's hardly professional.

Dunki

I'm sorry, is NeoGAF a professional field now? I missed the memo. I guess I should stop reading these forums while not wearing pants; that's hardly professional.

Not Neogaf but the the place this presentation was hold. You could also say the real world.

Not Neogaf but the the place this presentation was hold. You could also say the real world.

Yeah, none of my comments in this thread had anything to do with the presentation and had everything to do with NeoGAF posters, so you can take the righteous indignation that you flung at my direction and maybe use that energy to learn to read instead.

Nester99

And she did know about him that the people around him had never encountered police violence.

Seems to me that the fact he is a policy officer is more likely the reason he has not been a victim of police violence rather than his ethnicity or gender.

An interesting statistic would be, what % of minority police officers have been victims of police violence.

Top Bottom