• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona cop cleared in hotel shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, I'd normally defend cops shooting people in times of high stress and mistaking certain gestures for reaching for a weapon, but from this video, the cop is straight up wrong for firing his weapon. The guy was following the directions and his hands were completely out in the open.

When he was near the woman's bag, his right arm seemed like it came from his waist. It's not easy to see since the gun is blocking it.

gohepcat

Banned
Clearly I'm not alone in my opinion. He did get acquitted by a jury of our peers.

Put yourself in the officers boots. If someone who was reported to have a gun was repeatedly going against your orders, then reaches to the #1 spot that people hide weapons, what would you do?

Feel free to call me more names if it makes you feel better.

My god...how can you be like this? Do you have absolutely no expectation of professionalism in your police officers? Do you really think that police should just be brutish thugs?

As an officer you’re expected to approach a situation like this with seriousness and professionalism. This guy had the words “you’re fucked“ etched into the side of his firearm. He is a piece of human fucking garbage. He betrayed everything that a civil society stands for. He betrayed his fellow officers by doing this.

He did do a couple of things they told him not to but he'd been held at gunpoint, mocked and threatened for ten minutes and was clearly distraught and panicked. Perhaps they should spend more time learning to read and deescalate situations rather than treating everyone like a deadly assassin by default.

finowns

That was sick. People have less and less faith in cops because of this.

I know people like that cop. How he acted the words he chose. Gross

So if the cop told me to start crawling towards him and I just laid there and didn't move and the cop shit me because I wasn't listening to him properly I guess he's justified right

finowns

When he was near the woman's bag, his right arm seemed like it came from his waist. It's not easy to see since the gun is blocking it.

They could’ve arrested the guy anytime but continued yelling threats and unclear commands. At the very least there was criminal negligence and, imo, deliberate cruelty in prolonging the arrest.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
It’s the cop’s fault that the guy had the leeway to behave in a way that spooked him.

The instructions were poor and his delivery left little chance that they would be followed to his satisfaction.

A simple, “Put your hands on your head with your fingers interlocked and walk backwards towards me” would’ve been far better.

I always find situational awareness for cops in America to be fucking garbage,they act like every situation is life and death and whoever they are dealing with is a terrorist with hidden explosive belts on them or something.

That guy was posed no threat at all, even if he was reaching for a gun (which he clearly fucking wasn't) his position would have made it impossible for him to use before he was shot. Police made a situation out of nothing and it's a very common trend for cops in America. They need to be retrained in actual situational awareness instead of just fucking murdering someone for no reason.

OrionFalls

Tensions are often high in these topics, but this is not an acceptable response to the post you quoted. Do not attack other members you disagree with.
I feel it is, as do others. There are people literally justifying the officer shooting the victim. How can anyone be so cold and callous as to defend this monster?

I feel it is, as do others. There are people literally justifying the officer shooting the victim. How can anyone be so cold and callous as to defend this monster?

An inability to put themselves in the victims shoes. They probably think they'd be calm and collected with guns pointed at them while someones screaming about how they're going to kill you if you make a mistake.

luxsol

Except for when he reaches behind him, ya know, right before he got shot...

Watch the video again.
You can see his hands at his side OPEN with NOTHING in it before the cop fires.
Yeah, the rifle gets in the way, but you can still see his hand when the rifle is no longer blocking the camera's perspective on the NOTHING IN HIS HAND which is on the floor.

Shit like this is why I'm just going to pretend to have gone ot sleep with my arms and legs splayed out instead of ever following the orders of cops who have drawn their weapons on me.
Let them come to me instead of making the mistake of frightening a panicked man with a loaded weapon.

I watched the video.

And one thing that strikes me the most is that there are people who think the cop did the right thing. Are we watching the same video?

That kid was scared for his life. You can clearly see he is in shock.

The cop makes it worse by threatening him that he will get shot.

It's very clear that he is no threat at all. Even If he would reach something our of his pocket he would have no change and the was no threat for the cop since he was on the ground.

Now I might not understand American culture. But to me it seems that a life isn't worth a damn for some of you.

Also Americans are in denial of the police state they are living in.

I watched a lot of these videos but this one shocked me more than any other. Mainly because the kid is so scared for his life.

llien

God, this was hard to watch...

The way he talked, the bloody endless stream of commands he issued...

I understand why he won't be prosecuted for murder, but keeping him in police is a disgrace.

OrionFalls

I understand why he won't be prosecuted for murder, but keeping him in police is a disgrace.
Care to explain? He straight up shot and killed an UNARMED and INNOCENT civilian with NO just cause. That, by legal definition, is first degree murder. Him being a cop doesn’t change that.

llien

Care to explain? He straight up shot and killed an UNARMED and INNOCENT civilian with NO just cause. That, by legal definition, is first degree murder. Him being a cop doesn't change that.

Laws/rules are not that nuanced. (which is why ass holes like the cop do not belong there)
I agree it was clear that the victim wasn't a real threat.
But formally he could have been armed and at this point he could be perceived as pulling a gun:

vmOGn6V.png

OrionFalls

He had his arms out straight, as he was instructed. There were no firearms on display throughout the entire video, except for those of the murderer. Why the murderer didn’t ask the victim to lie face down with his arms out straight so they could approach him and cuff him is beyond me. This pig was clearly on a power trip.

luxsol

Laws/rules are not that nuanced. (which is why ass holes like the cop do not belong there)
I agree it was clear that the victim wasn't a real threat.
But formally he could have been armed and at this point he could be perceived as pulling a gun:

vmOGn6V.png

He has nothing in his hand a second before they fire. His hand is pointed toward the ground. The second before that you can't see his hand because the camera is on the right side, but his hand was at his side and it undoubtedly has nothing in it there too, since his hand was at his side, not blocked from view of everyone standing there.
They shot him purely because he didn't follow the order, not from any visible threat.

You don't shoot someone for not doing exactly as commanded. There has to be a perceived threat for the cop to defend himself and an empty hand is no threat when it's used to brace himself.
He already wasn't following the commands exactly to begin with and they didn't shoot him at all, yet it was 100% accuracy to their commands or death when he started to crawl toward them.

There's a reason the cop got fired. They know he fucked up and it seems like whoever was in charge should have also gotten fired, as he was the one barking out the confusing orders, not the shooter.

To me, crawling is using all fours, BUT I would probably have shuffled towards the cop on my knees, with my hands still raised (like the female suspect did) - especially after the cop told me not to drop them.
The waistband reach is really what did him in. He must have been drunk, because I cant imagine any sober, reasonably intelligent person moving their hand into that position, in that situation.
I dont think this cop is a murderer, because I can see how that hand movement could be interpreted as something aggressive.

Maedre

Banned
Many of your posts are tinted from a culture where so many thing went out of order.

When I read things like: he shouldn’t have done this or I would have done this... then you live in a society that took the wrong way.

You want your guns, don’t train your police intensive enough, let laws pass that make situations like this the norm. These are the consequences you have to deal with on a daily basis. This is so fucked up.

The cop is guilty of murder but this is only the end of a chain of events that lead to this. It’s time that the us citizens realize that the greed for guns has nothing to do with freedom. It just kills an makes you world more unsafe every day.

norinrad

Cop kills a guy, taking away the future of two young kids and walks. How these people sleep at night I will never know.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member

You are free to attack their argument in its entirety, but not the poster. Suggesting they have an overarching problem in life because they said the victim reached behind him is not justified. There will always be people on different sides of these arguments, and in order to have a discussion people need to eliminate personal attacks. Disagree, discuss why you have these perspectives and examine why your stances are different. If you cannot come to any consensus, move on.

luxsol

I've been reading that the judge ruled that the video was inadmissible to be shown to the jury, so they only watched an edited version.
Anyone verify this?

MEsoJD

Banned
Absolutely disgusting. I hope this piece of shit pig is plague by guilt for the rest of his miserable days. This was murder.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Actually when I make a mistake at my job I don't get fired, because my superiors understand that humans make mistakes. Strange that you don't, good thing you don't have any employees...

So how many people have you murdered at your job?

This situation was fucked up beyond belief. The kid was scared shitless, didn't understand what the fuck they were asking. The cops were being straight up assholes trying to intimidate and antagonize him at every step. Fuck this fucker. Holy hell this shit makes my blood boil. And I usually defend cops.

It doesn't matter.

That entire "I feared for my life" BS is just that, a BS justificaiton after the fact.

The truth is simple. The cop was power tripping and was eager to kill him. This was straight up gleeful murder for its own sake. I would not be surprised if he had messed up his pants with his real penis the same moment he finally got to use his mechanical one.

It is everything leading up to that moment that caused it, and not the reaching motion.

The office created a situation for the victim to fail, and for that he should serve a long sentence like the piece of shit he is.

BANGS

Banned
It doesn't matter.

That entire "I feared for my life" BS is just that, a BS justificaiton after the fact.

The truth is simple. The cop was power tripping and was eager to kill him. This was straight up gleeful murder for its own sake. I would not be surprised if he had messed up his pants with his real penis the same moment he finally got to use his mechanical one.

Wow so awesome that you can read the cops mind, and via video! Can you tell mr what Rey was thinking in the star wars 7 flashback scene?

RefigeKru

Banned
If there were two police officers, why didn't one of them approach while the other continued to aim and then apprehend him?

Arizona is a state where you can carry a concealed firearm without a State issued license so as a cop, 100% of the people you encounter 'could' have a gun on them. Cop doesn't know who's around the corner where the 2 people came from and he told the dude 3 times not to put his hands behind his back and he did it twice and the third time he paid for it.

Right, because someone with nefarious intentions sure is glad the law allows him to carry a concealed firearm, otherwise he'd never do it! Would you feel safer in CA since people are generally not allowed to carry and thus have to keep their firearm at home and criminals surely will follow the law? What is wrong with some people's thinking process?

Durask

Many of your posts are tinted from a culture where so many thing went out of order.

When I read things like: he shouldn’t have done this or I would have done this... then you live in a society that took the wrong way.

You want your guns, don’t train your police intensive enough, let laws pass that make situations like this the norm. These are the consequences you have to deal with on a daily basis. This is so fucked up.

The cop is guilty of murder but this is only the end of a chain of events that lead to this. It’s time that the us citizens realize that the greed for guns has nothing to do with freedom. It just kills an makes you world more unsafe every day.

In 1970s the gun laws were much more relaxed and there was way more violence.

Violent_crime_rates_by_gender_1973-2003.jpg

Durask

It's like the opposite of what you are supposed to do.
Belligerent screeching of death threats at the top of your lungs is not how you de-escalate a situation.

Personal experience - I was picking someone at the airport and granted, it is busy there. I stop at the curb and I see the couple I am supposed to pick up so I open my trunk and get out of the car and start waving and yelling at them so that they can see me.

State cop runs up to me.

MOVE YOUR FUCKING CAR RIGHT NOW ASSHOLE. NOW!
So I froze for a second since wow, that was suprising, then I take a step towards the trunk to close it and then he gets right into my face
DIDN'T YOU HEAR WHAT I SAID I AM GOING TO ARREST YOU MOVE THE FUCKING CAR
So I'm like holy shit so I get into my car and drive off with my trunk open.

Why did he shoot him ? That is just fucking stupid. Shooting a person because he cant crawl correctly, Shooting a person because he made a slight mistake when playing Simon Says is stupid. Why ? Do all of you trigger happy over there ????

Jeezz

1. Because he's a coward.
2. Because he knew he could get away with it.
3. Because dumb motherfuckers like BANGS would defend/enable him. Until it happens to someone they know and love then all of a sudden it's a different story.

luxsol

The psychopath had "You're fucked" engraved onto his murder toy, and was clearly shouting random orders to find an excuse to kill.

The shooter wasn't the guy shouting the commands.
It was a Sgt who was in charge of the situation and he didn't get reprimanded at all.

Complete clusterfuck.

If there were two police officers, why didn't one of them approach while the other continued to aim and then apprehend him?
There were four other officers there, ontop of the Sgt and the shooter.

In 1970s the gun laws were much more relaxed and there was way more violence.[/IMG]
Go back further and you have a higher attachment rate with guns (more people owned guns), looser gun laws, fully automatic weapons AND machine guns still legal, and lower crime rates. 70s was the start of the drug wars.
Homicide%20Rate.jpg

Police today are better trained than ever before.
People are less violent.
There's way less violent crime.
Lowest crime rates since the 50s and 60s.
Yet people are more on edge than ever, thanks to the media over reporting on violent crimes.

gohepcat

Banned
The shooter wasn't the guy shouting the commands.
It was a Sgt who was in charge of the situation and he didn't get reprimanded at all.

Complete clusterfuck.

There were four other officers there, ontop of the Sgt and the shooter.

Go back further and you have a higher attachment rate with guns (more people owned guns), looser gun laws, fully automatic weapons AND machine guns still legal, and lower crime rates. 70s was the start of the drug wars.
Homicide%20Rate.jpg

Police today are better trained than ever before.
People are less violent.
There's way less violent crime.
Lowest crime rates since the 50s and 60s.
Yet people are more on edge than ever, thanks to the media over reporting on violent crimes.

Can we get some sources on that graph please?

I don't know if you can link higher gun ownership with lower overall crime.

People in the US are fucking obsessed with guns. Cherrypicking stats will never change how prevalent gun violence is here compared with other first world countries. I don't know if gun control is the fix...perhaps just being embarrassed by these numbers would be a good first step.

Also...the "media" has always appealed to the lowest common denominator. Newspapers started the Spanish–American War for christ sake.

Heath V

He had his arms out straight, as he was instructed. There were no firearms on display throughout the entire video, except for those of the murderer. Why the murderer didn’t ask the victim to lie face down with his arms out straight so they could approach him and cuff him is beyond me. This pig was clearly on a power trip.

Why? Becasue the COPS had no idea if the room was clear or if there were others in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom